Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
you wouldn't have to pay him shit if you could terminate it for breach of contract....would clearly save us in wages and he's not offered fuk all on the pitch since his arrival
His misbehavior would have to be a lot worse for the club to be able to terminate his contract for cause

Piskin

Wanted to go to Chelsea but we got him instead, like Martial he doesn't want to play for us.

Plastic Evra

Maybe a bit premature talking of contract termination.
Let's try to put him seriously on sale if need be. Next summer his break even point for the transfer fee should be 30m£. Whoever is buying will have to front a fat bonus for softening a severe pay cut and maybe United will have to pay some too. Not sure we can do all that without eating some loss but it's not outright impossible. He's a forward and will be 24, that's a profile easier to work with than Maguire.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Managers under heavy pressure tend to say stupid thing about their own players and indirectly blame them for the situation.

Sancho was called up to the England senior squad when he was 18 and since then had 23apps. Today he is a shadow of himself. Off course Sancho also is to blame, but I think it’s very strange United isn’t able to solve the situation and build him up; make him the best version of himself. ETH obviously has a lot to learn about man-management.

I guess ETH don’t want to sell him , because it will be pretty embarrassing if Pep, Klopp or Poch makes Sancho great again :lol:
Wow...just...wow.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Maybe a bit premature talking of contract termination.
Let's try to put him seriously on sale if need be. Next summer his break even point for the transfer fee should be 30m£. Whoever is buying will have to front a fat bonus for softening a severe pay cut and maybe United will have to pay some too. Not sure we can do all that without eating some loss but it's not outright impossible. He's a forward and will be 24, that's a profile easier to work with than Maguire.
The breakeven point next summer is much lower than that, actually. Worst case scenario, we can give him away for free and cover up to 3m of his wages without taking a hit.

Plastic Evra

The breakeven point next summer is much lower than that, actually. Worst case scenario, we can give him away for free and cover up to 3m of his wages without taking a hit.
Oh ? I assumed 5 year amortisation of the 73m fee.
Good news if true, the lower the easier can he be sold if necessary.

Revan

Assumptionman
you wouldn't have to pay him shit if you could terminate it for breach of contract....would clearly save us in wages and he's not offered fuk all on the pitch since his arrival
How can you terminate the contract for breach of contract? I mean if that was possible the best way to get rid of players you do not want is to go to media and say ‘he is shit’ hoping that they fire back and then terminate their contracts. It does not work that way.

Btw, if Murtough said that it is unacceptable to win only one point out of possible 33 against top 10 teams away from home, and we should set higher standards and then ETH says that he is working hard and doing as good as possible, would that be grounds to terminate ETH’s contract?

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Oh ? I assumed 5 year amortisation of the 73m fee.
Good news if true, the lower the easier can he be sold if necessary.
That's right, he will have 2 years left on his initial contract next summer so the comparison for next year's accounts is as follows:

Sell: -29.2m book value writedown + x transfer fee - y wage subsidy

Keep: -17.5m wages (assuming 350k/week) - 14.6m amortization expense = -32.1m total expense

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Bit of a nothing burger IMO. Manager answers a question in press conference, alluded player says he's working to be back on the squad and that some people (not necessarily the manager) are saying things that aren't true. The scapegoat remark is kinda dumb, but it isn't really that weird in the hell that is the players social media.

Sancho comes off as a bit of a snowflake though. He should be more worried about getting into the team again, as nowadays it appears he is third choice at best in every attacking position (maybe tied at second with Pellistri in RW) and no one is really missing him.

sirAlexsglasses

Pep didn’t keep him around for a reason, and there were issues at Dortund also, people are saying ETH is in the wrong for sting why he was omitted. If he says he’s ill or any other reason and the truth comes out then he would be vilified by the press. Why should the manage lie, his job and reputation are on the line and he has to answer the questions weekly as well as having to see the column inches. I can only imagine that this has been going on some time for ETH to have to say this, he’s had every opportunity, (opportunities that he would not get elsewhere) to turn it around and improve. This is partly the reason that the game is going to rack and ruin, players that are mediocre are receiving (not earning) exorbitant salaries and having to put zero effort in. These players know that they are protected by the two thickos Murtagugh and Arnold in that they won’t be sold, Arsenal…….ditched Obamayang immediately because he was a poison in the dressing room, they made sure that the players knew who was the boss.

Plastic Evra

Ah I see what you mean. I think I'd rather see him sold for a fee, even purely for "optics" and saving whatever cost could be.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Think this deserves its own thread

I gotta say, I never liked managers doing this in public. Rarely achieves anything. Kinda makes it difficult for Sancho going forward.
Sancho has to realise that it doesn't matter what he thinks, or even doesn't think. Ten Hag is the manager. And he has to have the final say on team selection.
Yes it may have been better keeping it in house.
But clearly a normally very careful Ten Hag felt he had to say something.
He is the boss. And the buck stops with him.
Full stop.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Managers under heavy pressure tend to say stupid thing about their own players and indirectly blame them for the situation.

Sancho was called up to the England senior squad when he was 18 and since then had 23apps. Today he is a shadow of himself. Off course Sancho also is to blame, but I think it’s very strange United isn’t able to solve the situation and build him up; make him the best version of himself. ETH obviously has a lot to learn about man-management.

I guess ETH don’t want to sell him , because it will be pretty embarrassing if Pep, Klopp or Poch makes Sancho great again :lol:
:houllier::houllier:
- Blames the club but not the player for being best version of himself.

-Blames the Manager who has been nothing but supportive of Sancho all last season.

- Wrong by suggesting Pep would take Sancho when he’s already had no time for him in the first place.

- Then laughs at his own imaginary crap suggestion where ETH is embarrassed that Sancho is great again under other managers.

Well done.

Calling himself a scapegoat when the loser plays in a side with Maguire, Antony, McTominay…. then saying I respect the coach whilst simultaneously saying the coach is a liar. Absolute pathetic loser of a footballer.

Plastic Evra

Has there been any insights into what he's doing wrong? Seem strong murmurs that he's not serious.
Seems to be the all encompassing "discipline" and motivation.
And to speculate perhaps irresponsibly, him being sent to a retreat on a vaguely defined injury for a while next year read from the outside as having possibly burnt out mentally or being depressed (maybe not in a purely clinical sense).

I don't want to belittle the difficulties he might face, being a young man thrown into the highest level of competition, I don't think there's any need to be abusive even if he makes a mess of public communication. But at one point it comes with the territory (and the contract) that he has to perform at a certain level -a very high one- and if he can't the best thing to do is part ways and him finding an environment more to his liking.

johannes_fd

I feel like ETH has given Sancho plenty of chances, including 3 months of rehabiliation in the Netherlands. I dont think all managers would be so lenient on a player with that price and salary.

These kind of transfer blunders is a staple of this club at this point. Players with massive fees and salaries that somehow cant play at the level thats expected. When it happens enough times, its not a coincidence.

Kind of weird that Sancho reacts the way that he has, if there were any bright spots in his performances i might understand him, but he's been very weak and mediocre during his entire stay here. Looked quite neat during preseason, but back to the usual when the season started.

At this point it feels like all we can hope for is Saudi bailing us out, taking his wages of our books.

Reactions: Cheimoon

windycityfan

This is probably a marriage that needs to end. On one hand, Sancho has made 58 appearances, but only 15 of those have been for 90 minutes. He’s looking at the team performances and thinking how shocking it all is (poor performances throughout, Antony has been ineffective, why doesn’t he get a chance?). On the other hand, ETH is a disciplinarian figure that demands and rewards hustle and hard work. These two worlds have collided, and the statements made by both player and manager is the proverbial nail in the coffin.

I will forever go down with Sancho being one of the most quality we have, and that he was badly misused and underutilized. But on the other hand, doing the same thing and expecting a different result is not going to cut it either. He needs to go try flourish somewhere else, if he can, and ETH will have to live and die with his methods and his players. Time will tell who was right.

Reactions: Cheimoon

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Another Dele Alli. Time to get rid, but I suspect the boffins upstairs will have another say to undermine the gaffer.

Irwin99

This is probably a marriage that needs to end. On one hand, Sancho has made 58 appearances, but only 15 of those have been for 90 minutes. He’s looking at the team performances and thinking how shocking it all is (poor performances throughout, Antony has been ineffective, why doesn’t he get a chance?). On the other hand, ETH is a disciplinarian figure that demands and rewards hustle and hard work. These two worlds have collided, and the statements made by both player and manager is the proverbial nail in the coffin.

I will forever go down with Sancho being one of the most quality we have, and that he was badly misused and underutilized. But on the other hand, doing the same thing and expecting a different result is not going to cut it either. He needs to go try flourish somewhere else, if he can, and ETH will have to live and die with his methods and his players. Time will tell who was right.
I think it's fairly obvious that Antony contributes workrate and energy and he's harder to knock off the ball: I don't see how Sancho wouldn't be able to understand that. EtH wants a hard working team and we've seen many times with Sancho that he's often just anonymous and doesn't track back enough. As i've said before, I don't think the Antony comparisons do Sancho any favors at all: both have equally disappointing goals and assist numbers but one works hard and the other doesn't, so it's pretty obvious who is going to be picked by a manager who wants his players to run.

It's sad to say but that RW spot is still an issue all these years later. I think we're cursed!

led_scholes

So Pep, Southgate and people at Dortmund have critized him and now ETH does it. They cant be all wrong.

I had high hopes for Jadon, but alas it is obvious that he doesn't train enough and doesn't care to reach his potential. He should have been sold this summer. He had 2 months of "special" training and still didn't improve at all. It's a pity such a talented player to kind of give up.

We are 4 games in the season and there is smoke already. It's disappointing that our players feel that top 4 is a massive success, so if they achieve it they should get what they want and they can throw tantrums.

We saw Maguire denying leaving, now Sancho and who knows what's next.

This our club now: one good season, one off and this is accepted. We have seen it with Shaw and Rashford too. They had a great season last year but the last 8 years they have proved that their mentality is faulty and weak. Instead of selling them now at their highest value, we rewarded Rashford with a new contract.

As long as we keep this kind of players we will never have a sustainable future.

wolvored

Do a Fergie and chuck him permanently in the reserves. He will definitely leave any way he can either Jan or the summer

edgecutter

The fact that he thinks he has shown any fight for the badge should show how deluded he is. One of the laziest and unmotivated players I have seem that cost the club a small fortune

MyBloodIsRed

If it was SAF we wouldn’t have anyone backing Sancho…

Sorry haven’t seen ANYTHING from Jason to prove he’s worth what we paid

Trequarista10

Where are people getting that Pep has criticised Sancho or got rid of him at City cos he didn't rate him? It seems pretty clear Sancho joined Dortmund at 16/17 they offered more immediate first team football at a young age. Same reason Bellingham, Haaland and others joined Dortmund instead of going straight to a City/Madrid where they would have had to spend a couple seasons fighting for minutes from the bench.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground

This is absurd.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If it was SAF we wouldn’t have anyone backing Sancho…

Sorry haven’t seen ANYTHING from Jason to prove he’s worth what we paid
To be perfectly fair to EtH, he has tried very hard to get Sancho to discover his form including a lengthy period of rest.
And so it is perfectly reasonable for the manager to expect his player to at least train to the required level.
I am with those here who have had enough of Sancho inept performances and something has to happen. Either get your finger out, or get out. Your choice.

ThatGreyKit

You could just train a bit harder Jadon.

windycityfan

I think it's fairly obvious that Antony contributes workrate and energy and he's harder to knock off the ball: I don't see how Sancho wouldn't be able to understand that. EtH wants a hard working team and we've seen many times with Sancho that he's often just anonymous and doesn't track back enough. As i've said before, I don't think the Antony comparisons do Sancho any favors at all: both have equally disappointing goals and assist numbers but one works hard and the other doesn't, so it's pretty obvious who is going to be picked by a manager who wants his players to run.

It's sad to say but that RW spot is still an issue all these years later. I think we're cursed!
Does the sample apply to both? Last year yes, this year no. Last year they were pretty comparable metrics wise, and equally putrid output wise. This year Antony has had far more opportunity to show what he can do and create going forward, meanwhile Sancho hasn’t.

All that said, you’re right. If running, work rate, tracking back and energy was the standard, Antony wins by a long shot. But I think, given how pathetic this team has looked, Sancho shouldve been given a look to start, and perhaps remove all doubt- does he belong in the starting XI, or forever saddled to the bench. What this team is lacking is going forward, creation, finishing. Sancho could’ve added that variant. Antony’s only highlights are in his hair.

It’s all moot now. We are kind of cursed.

Cantonagotmehere

Final straw for me. He can feck right off. Like many have said ETH offered him a lifeline sending him off for rest/training before and being very supportive.

This season feels like trainwreck for a million reasons.

Cantonagotmehere

Does the sample apply to both? Last year yes, this year no. Last year they were pretty comparable metrics wise, and equally putrid output wise. This year Antony has had far more opportunity to show what he can do and create going forward, meanwhile Sancho hasn’t.

All that said, you’re right. If running, work rate, tracking back and energy was the standard, Antony wins by a long shot. But I think, given how pathetic this team has looked, Sancho shouldve been given a look to start, and perhaps remove all doubt- does he belong in the starting XI, or forever saddled to the bench. What this team is lacking is going forward, creation, finishing. Sancho could’ve added that variant. Antony’s only highlights are in his hair.

It’s all moot now. We are kind of cursed.
It sure freaking feels that way. Even when we overspend we screw it up somehow.

RedRover

He's been awful pretty much since day one. If he's not putting the work in then Ten Hag is right to call him out on it. Nothing wrong with what he's had to say in my opinion.

windycityfan

It sure freaking feels that way. Even when we overspend we screw it up somehow.
ETH inherited Sancho, whereas he clearly favors the strong, pacy, defensive minded type. If we could just stop the revolving door of recruiting approaches and coaches we could build off of past and present talent.

I wouldn’t want to go on a tangent, but he needs to fix that midfield if he wants to get the best of his frontline and back line. This squad is positively hollow.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
This is all very confusing. If the tweet was a direct reaction to ETH then surely someone at the club would have told him to take it down. Forget taking it down it’s pinned on his Twitter so unsure what to make of it.