Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

Rolaholic

When the feck did we ever go public??

There were tons of questions being asked when he wasn't in the team for 3 months straight so obviously the club had to say something and it was reported that he was given time off to deal with whatever he was going through.

I don't ever remember specifics being given at any point which led to a ton of speculation from the fans.

This is all getting quite ridiculous and I can't understand what Sancho's people hope to achieve by going rogue against the club like this...

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
Not looked at any comments so far in this thread. My view is that both are really wrong in their actions. Consequences, Sancho is done under Ten Hag, any relationship ruined. Ten Hag himself will have upset a lot of other players with his comments, basically it's a very divided setup I feel, and this can never succeed. Either Ten Hag doubles down and gets rid of those who he doesn't want, or he continues to just call out players when it suits him which just creates a circus for the club. Personally I don't feel he is good enough to get the squad together he needs, already spunked far too much money.

Judas

Open to offers
Totally inaccurate reporting of the events that actually transpired. How furious must Ten Hag etc. be for giving this lad months off, to get this shite in return.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Did I forget it or was there never a reason given for his absence?
When the feck did we ever go public??

There were tons of questions being asked when he wasn't in the team for 3 months straight so obviously the club had to say something and it was reported that he was given time off to deal with whatever he was going through.

I don't ever remember specifics being given at any point which led to a ton of speculation from the fans.

This is all getting quite ridiculous and I can't understand what Sancho's people hope to achieve by going rogue against the club like this...

Plastic Evra

Did I forget it or was there never a reason given for his absence?
It's the Daily Fail but I believe their recounting (at least on that part) is mostly accurate. There was a physical injury involved. Ten Hag stayed very vague but mental factors were mentioned without further details at one point IIRC. Sancho was sent on an individual recovery & training course.
Everyone, I think, read between the lines that Sancho was "burnt out" in some fashion.

Asger

Sancho hasn't got any interest in a career with us. The leaking from his side is obvious, and it's utterly moronic.
Why should any winger be interested when our stupid manager only picks his fav players even though they play shit every weekend.

GBBQ

So from Sancho’s perspective this is the second time ETH has gone rogue and talked about him to the press.

From ETH’s perspective he was giving honest answers on the status of a player. With the mental health it was intended as supportive and from being dropped from the squad it was motivational.

So giving both the benefit of the doubt that it’s down to interpretation, it should be settled behind closed doors. Why isn’t Arnold insisting on it. Gagging both staff members to stop the escalating PR nightmare. Already seeing ‘sources say ETH was being supportive’. Just fecking shut it down

Rolaholic

Why should any winger be interested when our stupid manager only picks his fav players even though they play shit every weekend.
Well if they're disinterested or poor during training while also being shit on the pitch as well, they shouldn't expect to start over others who at least give proper effort consistently.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I wonder if his mental problem is chronic insomnia
Not sure if serious but considering there was late night gaming sessions and his apparent petulance and hot/cold behaviour, it has been reported that he can be loud and extroverted but also very reserved. It can explain a lot. Lack of sleep can affect you in all manner of ways

C'est Moi Cantona

I don't get what Sancho hope to gain from this.

Sympathy, a move away, a free run in the team, ETH to be sacked?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
https://x.com/samimokbel81_dm/status/1699876181896474992?s=46&t=3cSPEXx54yOkvLX_Hq8XPw

I took it to mean he wasn’t in the right mental state to perform at his best ability. Getting a bit ridiculous now - briefing wars from both parties.
Considering how quick him/his team were to speak up after he was absent from the squad for one game it’s funny how quiet they kept when he was absent for months. If they wanted to manage the reasons given around that absence then there was nothing to stop them releasing a statement of their own.

cyberman

Can’t believe you’re posting this in the Sancho thread

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ok that latest article is a massive eye roll and feck off to modern sensitivity. Come on. Ten Hag said nothing wrong, feck that. Media agenda piling on, tell them to feck off at this point.

madzo2007

Other than the clickbaity title that article does not say very much at all. More focuses on Sancho's statement and what was said at weekend.

Sparky Rhiwabon

To be a top footballer these days you need to be mentally tough enough, not just physically. Maybe we should start including that in the pre-signing medical?

glasgow 21

Won't be a problem ETH will be gone by Xmas read some of the post elsewhere ETH is being lambasted for hiring Anthony. It's the United way Manager will be the scapegoat and that will solve the problems they think. I give up.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Other than the clickbaity title that article does not say very much at all. More focuses on Sancho's statement and what was said at weekend.
The writer is close to Sanchos camp

GreatDane

Ronaldo's baby daughter was ill in the hospital during pre season which Ronaldo was in distress attending to every day and this was just three months after his newborn son had passed. Ten Hag treated him like a piece of meat who had to prove himself when he returned, and apparently didn't even believe Ronaldo. He was humiliated

Ronaldo felt the only way to let people know how he was being mistreated was to speak out. And he exposed so many issues within the club which we are still reeling from to this day. Namely, the infrastructure, ten hag's tactics which Ronaldo had reservations about and the questionable training he was putting the players through. Ever wonder why our players are unfit and picking up so many injuries?

Listen to what Ronaldo said. This man played under peak Mourinho, Sir Alex Ferguson and Carlo Ancelloti and never had these type of issues with them until he crossed paths with Ten hag, who has now treated players like De Gea, Sancho and Ronaldo like cattle. When Ronaldo speaks, you listen.

Open your eyes There's a common denominator here and it ain't f-king Christiano Ronaldo. Ten hag destroyed his career and he's now on his way to destroying both sancho and pellestri's career due to nepotism and having favourites. Don't be surprised when the rest of the players get fed up and then when Brighton run us over and you see an array of players not bothering to bust a gut to track back for the manager. You will know why

If Ten Hag wants to remedy this before things spiral out of control, he will get a sense of himself and be on the phone to sancho explaining why he felt the need to publicly oust him after we got beat by Arsenal
:lol: I think you're looking for the Saudi forum buddy.

AndySmith1990

Right. So instead he should start Sancho. A player who has not only been shit every time he's played, but apparently is also shit in training

Plastic Evra

So from Sancho’s perspective this is the second time ETH has gone rogue and talked about him to the press.

From ETH’s perspective he was giving honest answers on the status of a player. With the mental health it was intended as supportive and from being dropped from the squad it was motivational.

So giving both the benefit of the doubt that it’s down to interpretation, it should be settled behind closed doors. Why isn’t Arnold insisting on it. Gagging both staff members to stop the escalating PR nightmare. Already seeing ‘sources say ETH was being supportive’. Just fecking shut it down
I can't imagine they did not have that talk or set of talks already or that management didn't already forced them to.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Considering how quick him/his team were to speak up after he was absent from the squad for one game it’s funny how quiet they kept when he was absent for months. If they wanted to manage the reasons given around that absence then there was nothing to stop them releasing a statement of their own.
I’m with you. I didn’t think there was anything wrong with what ETH said (either time) and this seems very silly. Annoyed people are still briefing stories when Sancho should be knuckling down ready to be our right winger for the next 6 months.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
To be a top footballer these days you need to be mentally tough enough, not just physically. Maybe we should start including that in the pre-signing medical?
That’s always been the case, although the age we currently live in undoubtedly brings new challenges.

bosnian_red

If this is Sanchos side leaking shit, then he is bang out of order and a complete 0 as a professional athlete. 0 resilience, 0 determination, wilting at the slightest criticism and absolutely pathetic to turn on the manager who did nothing but support you for months when you needed it last season, even though we could've used him. Pathetic from Sancho and he can feck off for all I care.

Abraxas

The problem with Sancho in all of this is a simple one. He has zero credit in the bank. Absolutely none because his performance and more tellingly his effort levels have not been perceived to be good enough. If even one of those things were not true he would probably be able to come out of this looking a little better (although probably still not great, insubordination towards a manager in public is never the greatest look in the vast majority of circumstances). Overall it means there isn't much of a baseline of sympathy for his cause among many supporters whereas if he had an output in attack or ran his socks off but lacked quality it would probably gather a little bit more of a willingness to hear his case.

Then to come out with lines about working for the shirt and playing with a smile on his face feels completely out of place. Some kind of cognitive dissonance or blatant PR maneuvering going on there, neither of which is good because what we actually need at this point is Jadon Sancho to knuckle down, accept and address his issues head on, and come out of the other side of this so that he can start to justify the investment in both finances and time that has been put into him. There is no real prospect of that while he is working against the fella that picks him.

This business with mental health seems like at best it's a grudge that Sancho has been holding onto and at worst a diversionary tactic from his team to redirect the discussion away from the reasons why he is failing as a Man Utd footballer.

Not a good situation, in summary.

neon_badger

It's certainly something that needs to be carefully managed, as is the case in all professions but in sport its particularly difficult, there's lots of room for discrimination. Do you treat it as an injury? Can you identify it before signing for the club, can you declare it to the media? Do the supporters have a right to know? A well run club will be working hard to put infrastructure in place and bring in the best people to manage this for both the players and the clubs benefit. I fear true to form United will not be up to speed with this despite having probably the first high profile case as a starting point.

santeria13

Sublemon
I’m glad Sancho has decided to challenge the manager.

It means we can hopefully get rid of him much quicker rather than clinging to the hope that he’ll eventually come good, when he probably won’t.
This is the thing I don't understand with people. Where does the hope come from? When has a player ever been so underwhelming for two straight years and then gone on to be a top player at the SAME club? It just doesn't happen.

Literally every other top club in the world would have started looking to move them on midway into that second season.

I have no idea how this is even a debate or how there's any form of defense for this man. For the majority of his two years here, he has barely managed to stay fit - the most basic requirement for a professional footballer. He consistently struggles to see out 90 minutes, despite failing to track back or put in any real effort into his defensive work. That's not even mentioning his general level of performance and output over that time, which absolutely stinks. How the feck is this acceptable?

His attitude stinks. Kind of guy to drop his head at the first sign of hardship and always look to external circumstances rather than inwards. It very much sums up his personality and time here. He is a poor man's Dele Alli. At least Dele had a couple of good years in a competitive league before becoming a bum.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

That's actually a pathetic article from Sami Mokbel. He literally writes down "ten hag never mentioned mental health". And the fact that Sami tweeted that article and turned off replies is also laughable. Just a baseless pile on from him in a nothing article. What a joke.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The problem with Sancho in all of this is a simple one. He has zero credit in the bank. Absolutely none because his performance and more tellingly his effort levels have not been perceived to be good enough. If even one of those things were not true he would probably be able to come out of this looking a little better (although probably still not great, insubordination towards a manager in public is never the greatest look in the vast majority of circumstances). Overall it means there isn't much of a baseline of sympathy for his cause among many supporters whereas if he had an output in attack or ran his socks off but lacked quality it would probably gather a little bit more of a willingness to hear his case.

Then to come out with lines about working for the shirt and playing with a smile on his face feels completely out of place. Some kind of cognitive dissonance or blatant PR maneuvering going on there, neither of which is good because what we actually need at this point is Jadon Sancho to knuckle down, accept and address his issues head on, and come out of the other side of this so that he can start to justify the investment in both finances and time that has been put into him. There is no real prospect of that while he is working against the fella that picks him.

This business with mental health seems like at best it's a grudge that Sancho has been holding onto and at worst a diversionary tactic from his team to redirect the discussion away from the reasons why he is failing as a Man Utd footballer.

Not a good situation, in summary.
This was far from a PR move. The speed at which Sancho responded to EtH’s words, I would argue was straight from Sancho himself & he didn’t sought his PR teams advice on the matter.

Hence the fall out we have now as they’d have told him not to respond publicly

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
That's actually a pathetic article from Sami Mokbel. He literally writes down "ten hag never mentioned mental health". And the fact that Sami tweeted that article and turned off replies is also laughable. Just a baseless pile on from him in a nothing article. What a joke.
All news reports around mental health have limited replies because of the disgusting replies that mental health seems to gather from knuckle dragging gammons that still think 1960/70/80/90s mindsets are still applicable today

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
This is the thing I don't understand with people. When has a player ever been so underwhelming for two straight years and then gone on to be a top player at the SAME club? It just doesn't happen.

Literally every other top club in the world would have started looking to move them on midway into that second season.

I have no idea how this is even a debate. His attitude stinks. Kind of guy to drop his head at the first sign of hardship and always look to external circumstances rather than inwards. It very much sums up his personality and time here.
100% agreed.

Best for both parties that he moves on in the next transfer window or 2.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’m with you. I didn’t think there was anything wrong with what ETH said (either time) and this seems very silly. Annoyed people are still briefing stories when Sancho should be knuckling down ready to be our right winger for the next 6 months.
The apparent desire to play this out so publicly is particularly weird coming from someone who apparently needed a long break from football after feeling upset by what he was reading about himself online. I don’t know who he’s got advising him but they seem to be making some very poor decisions if his mental health is a priority.

Ghostrider318

Why do we keep catching such strays ? Why cant Saka go shag a granny or Haaland gets caught cheating with his best friends wife or Salah have 2 wives . why always us