Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

Widow

He hasn't been good enough. If we had the spending power of City, for example, he would have been moved on and a replacement brought in

SAFMUTD

Meanwhile the crap Antony starts every game
You can say many things about Antony but he doesnt lack effort. He fights for every ball and runs the whole game. Sancho clearly has some attitude problems, its not just with us. It happened with Dortmund and England before.

Pronewbie

Peep
"Please don't believe everything Ten Hag says?" That's what he's saying?

I believe Ten Hag.

Still, a somewhat struggling manager should be careful to start throwing his players under the bus; that's how you'll get the group against you.
Yep. This group of players have had previous. Going against an English player in his home country isn't the best idea either, much less 2 in successive weeks.

Been critical of ETH's purchases in certain cases (and of the fact that he seems to have so much sway and preference, when he picks a player, to invariably go for one he's worked with before). But the apparent 'non-negotiable' about character, as opposed to simply technical skillset, definitely figures in his favour when you see how much Sancho's indifference/ lassitude/etc has impacted his performances and lack of productivity. Rashford, Antony and Pellistri, for all their respective weak spots (either physical , technical or in tracking-back), all bring something more to the team than Sancho invariably does. The least committed or industrious of them all, as well as slowest and most easily bullied...
Agreed. I trust ETH in his judgement of character and impact to team harmony. I can only think of 2 reasons for him going so public:
1. He thinks this will light a fire up Sancho's arse
2. Sancho's already being pretty toxic because of his lack of playing time and training performances.

GledTheRed

Dick move by EtH, especially after serving up another defeat and his team looking shite.

Running out of patience with him, there is no clear plan.

Fooza

It's the truth though.
the Antony comparison is a low blow, he may not be up to it at the moment but he is at least giving it all and working his socks off in matches which is the minimum expectation. You'll have far better argument if you said Martial who doesn't look bothered

maximus419

One thing I always remember Ferguson saying was, never criticise the players or team in public, you do all that away from the media. Better to say nothing than give them tomorrows headlines and now ETH has given them a story to go on for weeks. He should've just been blunt and said it's a management decision and left it there. Very very naive and worrying that he might not be up for such a big job and understanding the high level of scrutiny every decision you make is put under.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Most passion I've seen from Sancho. I hope he leaves soon.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Strange cuz he seemed to be training well in preseason and was putting the effort in and many fans (and pundits) predicted him to have a big season.

I think the situation with Antony almost certainly doesn’t help. He’s fecking shit, plays in place of Sancho and never gets dropped or criticised.

It’s also possible that the Antony legal situation has ruffled feathers among Utd players who are close with Greenwood (Sancho is a good friend of his by all accounts), as their mate has been shipped off while Antony stats, is untouchable - and shit.

EI Beatle

what i dont get about his statement is when he said hes been made a scapegoat, hes done nothing in a utd shirt let alone him saying ''will continue to fight for the badge'', the club gave him months off to ''sort his head out''

in jim royle's voice '' scapegoat my arse''

TheGame

I probably agree Sancho has to go, but can anyone explain me, what’s the point of making such comments after a terrible result? What’s ETH trying to achieve here, other than demotivating Sancho and throwing him under the bus? We hated that kind of behavior under other managers, how come it’s alright now?
Yeah would have been better providing a stock answer. We really didn’t need more drama. Then stupid of Sancho to escalate it. Caps of the day.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Watching the response in the actual press conference, it's even more of a nothing-burger. Answers a question on why he didn't play and a follow up.

leet

If Piers can get him to Saudi that would be pretty much awesome. How can you flop for three seasons and come out with a public statement like this, it's mind boggling really.

arnoldS

Disagree. Even if what ETH said was true, calling a player out in public hurts him badly, and probably increases the amount of abuse he's already getting. You can always drop a player or tell him to find a new club, but doing this will just create drama and friction within the club. ETH was wrong.
ETH has been more than patient, even gave him some month off during the season, gave him chance after chance yet he still can't put in a shift for the club and seems to not even train good enough.

He then gets critcized and comes out crying after a loss in an important game. This fraud was our worst ever transfer and simply has not the required standard ability wise let alone the mentality.

saik

People who criticised Jose for this and are now defending ETH are being hypocritical tbh. A manager shouldn't be criticising individual players in public. People will take to social media and start abusing them. I'm sure Sancho has received a lot of pretty horrific comments in the aftermath. If Sancho isn't performing well in training or there are other attitude problems then ETH should be keeping that private.
Nope. ETH has given Sancho ample time. He even let him train in Holland for 2-3months last season and defended him fully. Unlike Jose who throws the players under the bus at the first hint of problem. Not same at all.

cj_sparky

I'd imagine both the visual interpretations of both EtH and his coaching staff, alongside the GPS monitor data would be taken into account before making such a call to drop a player.

The effort Sancho shows on a football pitch often leaves a lot to be desired and any small glimpse of a bog standard/ average performance is lauded like he has had a wonder game. He offers less than the bare minimum in matches and I dread to think what he puts in during training.

United Hobbit

He must have done something to make ETH utterly sick of him to have not been included in our paper thin squad

Wonder if Sancho is trying to say he's experiencing the equivalent of constrictive dismissal

ETH has taken the 'nicey nicely" approach by sending him away for private training and wouldn't discuss the reasons for this so I wonder if he feels like this is the only option left open to him... Not saying it's right but he cost a lot of money and if he's been told he can't offload him because we can't get a decent enough offer and he's "stuck' with him and can't get him going despite numerous approaches....

LARulz

Ever since I read those quotes you knew Sancho would say something. His message wasn't that bad and relatively respectful and assume mainly aimed at the amount of extra abuse he got off the back of it

I don't really thing Ten Hag should have said it as he has now caused another problem for himself. But then Hag was extremely accomodating to him last season so guess now he is expecting a return which is fair, just maybe not in public when we are all over the place still

In Rainbows

Mental health is still very different to physical health. It still carries a stigma despite the progressiveness of the modern age, see half the responses in this thread.

Sympathy isn’t always desired and your own mental health can be a very personal thing.
I meant sympathy as in the amount of attention diverted away from him.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I like this from ETH.

Last season he gave him the winter happy camp, tried to be friendly, supportive etc. Sancho's performances and his general mentality while playing for us didn't change. Still the same old passive scared Sancho.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
the Antony comparison is a low blow, he may not be up to it at the moment but he is at least giving it all and working his socks off in matches which is the minimum expectation. You'll have far better argument if you said Martial who doesn't look bothered
Martial plays out of necessity but you're absolutely right regarding him. However I don't see the point in Antony anymore.
All in all, a lot of money wasted on Antony and Sancho

Widow

Dick move by EtH, especially after serving up another defeat and his team looking shite.

This must be a joke or you haven't actually watched the press conference. He didn't pick Sancho because others trained better, nothing wrong with that. In fact, he could have said that Sancho had been shite for the whole period he's been at United, EtH would still have had a legitimate point.

MichaelRed

What is Sancho doing here? Ten hag didn't question his conduct, he said it was based on levels in training & the journo then pushed back & asked if his conduct was bad & Ten hag said no, it was based on the levels in training. Nothing wrong with a manager picking a squad that he thinks have trained the best in the week. Sancho has elevated this for no reason.

AndySmith1990

Talk is cheap and people lie. I pay attention to actions and based on that I don't believe a word Sancho says. He's been shite ever since he arrived and doesn't look arsed half the time, and that's in front of a stadium packed with people cheering the team on. It's not difficult to believe Ten Hag when he says Sancho hasn't shown enough in training.

Laurencio

Maclooch

The fact that Sancho typed this out on his phone and sent it out to the world tells me everything I need to know about his intelligence. He paints himself as a victim of the manager and rather than take accountability and better himself, he blames another for his problems. He is clearly skilled, but not mentally strong enough for the position he is currently in. I’d be surprised if he comes back from this mistake.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You can say many things about Antony but he doesnt lack effort. He fights for every ball and runs the whole game. Sancho clearly has some attitude problems, its not just with us. It happened with Dortmund and England before.
Can't wait for him to take those efforts to the bench or elsewhere. Him and Sancho can leave this club

Adamsk7

Strange cuz he seemed to be training well in preseason and was putting the effort in and many fans (and pundits) predicted him to have a big season.

I think the situation with Antony almost certainly doesn’t help. He’s fecking shit, plays in place of Sancho and never gets dropped or criticised.

It’s also possible that the Antony legal situation has ruffled feathers among Utd players who are close with Greenwood (Sancho is a good friend of his by all accounts), as their mate has been shipped off while Antony stats, is untouchable - and shit.
Antony isn’t shit though - he does more than Sancho does. It’s quite obvious even just looking at today’s game - Antony will track back, show desire and fight. If Sancho was playing today, AWB would have been left completely alone with Martinelli.

I find the “oh ETH prefers Antony” thing weird because they both cost us the best part of £80m and they’ve both been underwhelming. So if ETH played Sancho instead we wouldn’t actually be in any sort of better position.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
One thing I always remember Ferguson saying was, never criticise the players or team in public, you do all that away from the media. Better to say nothing than give them tomorrows headlines and now ETH has given them a story to go on for weeks. He should've just been blunt and said it's a management decision and left it there. Very very naive and worrying that he might not be up for such a big job and understanding the high level of scrutiny every decision you make is put under.
Ferguson publicly criticized his players on several occasions, in worse terms than ten Hag has today, just off the top of my head Rooney, Rio and Nani.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It makes no sense to blow things up over something like that. Nothing negative about Sancho in it at all. It is being made into a Mourinho-esque put-down, while in reality being a nothingburger.
That is a negative on Sancho. “Training performance, he was not selected”

We had 2 keepers on the bench and 3 academy players

ErikElevenHag

I probably agree Sancho has to go, but can anyone explain me, what’s the point of making such comments after a terrible result? What’s ETH trying to achieve here, other than demotivating Sancho and throwing him under the bus? We hated that kind of behavior under other managers, how come it’s alright now?
Perhaps ETH thinks that there is a player in there and he see's this as the last resort to try to get the player out of him?

You can't say that he hasn't been patient with the lad after last season.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion

How can you see both statements and think that EtH is the one in the wrong? Baffling.