Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

Betson

What 'Other Reasons'could ETH possible have? He he implying ETH is trying to force him out of the club?

Anyway clearly a break down in trust between the player and the manager.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I don't take anyone side on this, but I find it hilarious that ten Hag chastised Sancho for not applying himself to Manchester United standard after his selected players put out the most spineless performance from a United team I've ever saw post Fergie
Are you serious? Today wasn't even close to the most spineless performance since Sir Alex. First 25 minutes sucked, but then we recovered and had Hojlund come on earlier + had we kept Martinez + Lindelof, we would very likely have won this game.

saik

You have to reach a level every day at Manchester United and we can make choices. So for this game he [Sancho] wasn't selected'

I don’t want to get into semantics.
Yes, and that isn't name dropping him. He was asked about him and he gave an answer. And if you don't want to get into semantics of it then stop calling it as namedropping because it absolutely isn't.

gaffs

Very strange situation.

How bad does a player have to be in training to get left out of the squad? Especially when the squad is already light.

Yet, Sancho comes out firmly in the statement and says "I will not allow people saying things that is [sic] completely untrue, I have conducted myself in training very well this week. I believe there are other reasons for this matter that I won't go into".

It is a pretty firm denial from Sancho. If the real reason of him being left out was down to training, why make such a firm denial, knowing that you are only going to have the face the music on Monday morning?

If Ten Hag has come out here and not told the truth about the situation, it could cause a lot of problems within the team.

Plus, is there no communications between manager and player? Surely the manager gives the player the reason?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Sancho shouldnt get any sympathy for this. He has a lot of previous and has had a lot of gametime in a United shirt to prove his commitment to the cause.

His perspective on application and what it means to be a top pro just isn’t right. A lot would buckle down here and prove their worth, but he finds himself complaining once again.

He has the talent, and there is still time, but it seems like he has already decided how much he wants to give, and everyone else is wrong.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The spin on ETH’s handling of Ronaldo is wild. Ronaldo walked all over him and was rewarding with the captain’s armband and 90 minutes after 90 minutes, until Ronaldo finally burned all the bridges down with THAT interview.
I am not seeing that either. He was our captain just a week before the interview and basically left ETH no choice but to let him go after that. I have seen many clamoring about how tough ETH was with Ronaldo and how very few managers would have the courage to go against him but this isn’t how I remember this at all.

He’s probably in the right here, and handled Sancho correctly last season as well. Very hard to take sides now though as nobody really knows what has happened behind the scenes. Having two goalkeepers on the bench in a crucial league game and not Sancho is probably an indication that his time here is over though.

SAFMUTD

Very strange situation.

How bad does a player have to be in training to get left out of the squad? Especially when the squad is already light.

Yet, Sancho comes out firmly in the statement and says "I will not allow people saying things that is [sic] completely untrue, I have conducted myself in training very well this week. I believe there are other reasons for this matter that I won't go into".

It is a pretty firm denial from Sancho. If the real reason of him being left out was down to training, why make such a firm denial, knowing that you are only going to have the face the music on Monday morning?

If Ten Hag has come out here and not told the truth about the situation, it could cause a lot of problems within the team.
Do you really think ten Hag would just let Sancho out of an already thin squad and then lie publicly about the reason why?

That makes no sense at all. Its obviously true to ten Hag, it may not be true to Sancho but I doubt a player is left out of the squad without any warning at all.

Remember the geese

That should be the end for Sancho. I actually quite like him as a footballer. He can open up a defence due to having the vision and technique to execute some really cute passes through the lines around the edge of the box. However, his application is severely lacking. Too many times he has been pushed off the ball. He also pulls out of 50/50's due to not wanting to get hurt. He doesn't bleed red and that simply isn't good enough.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Maybe, he'd do well to keep quiet. As a professional athlete he shouldnt care about social media posts and its a bit of a dramatic move over a few posts.
I agree

saik

Absolutely BS isn't it? We were 2mins and millimeters away from winning it and we have people calling it spineless. :lol:

We were pushing for the win at the end. It definitely wasn't spineless.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I expect Sancho is concerned with maintaining his valuation in that response and very much doubt EtH is angry with him for non-performance reasons because frankly that wouldn't make any sense.

AFC NimbleThumb

Adds nothing to the discussion
Yes, and that isn't name dropping him. He was asked about him and he gave an answer. And if you don't want to get into semantics of it then stop calling it as namedropping because it absolutely isn't.
Ok, let’s play.

Who is ‘he’ in that sentence you quoted. One word answer.

If I call ‘you’ an idiot who is looking to win a fight on an internet forum with someone he never met over semantics am I talking about A) ‘you’, B) @saik or C) There the same damn thing.

Quite frankly you’re the problem on forums like this one. If you don’t agree cool but why are we getting bogged down in minutiae about something other than the topic. If you can’t understand he can be used as a replacement in the sentence for an exact name then quite frankly you aren’t equipped for this discussion big man. You don’t consider it a name drop, I do, we won’t agree so what else can I help you with.

cpresc

That’s the most fight I’ve seen Sancho display…

I’m backing ETH all the way on this

Jadon SanCiao

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I have slagged off Antony multiple times here but him playing on the right ahead of Sancho is no brainer despite Antony not playing at the level i thought he would play at. Sancho was basically useless in both attack and defence.

Sancho just brought years of his indiscipline and crying victim record back in limelight with that statement. It was not needed and it clearly shows he is not at the level required mentally to be at United or any top club. Unless this is some massive misunderstanding, Sancho is done at Manutd.

AFC NimbleThumb

I said 2 years, but I was wrong. He's been here 2 years and has shown nothing but the odd glimpse of what he's capable of.

ETH gave him all the time he needed to train and do whatever it was last year and he's still done nothing.

Antony hasn't pulled up any trees, but aye, I'd have Antony over him every week, I'd also play Pellestri and Amad before I'd give Sancho another minute.
We’ll have to agree to disagree though I’d certainly see Amad & Pellestri try over both at this point.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The spin on ETH’s handling of Ronaldo is wild. Ronaldo walked all over him and was rewarding with the captain’s armband and 90 minutes after 90 minutes, until Ronaldo finally burned all the bridges down with THAT interview.
That's a spin in the other direction. ETH was just in the door and was handed this massive turd of a situation to deal with with absolutely no leadership anywhere to be found at the club. It was quite a challenging situation and he did drop him on occasions. The only thing I found weird was when he said he didn't throw him on against City out of respect, but I cannot imagine any manager (regardless how credentialed) walks in here with the greedy idiots running the club and start swinging their dick around like the own the place. On top of that he also had to deal with having absolutely no funds to replace him as we saw last January despite the heavy saving on Ronnie's huge wages, so he was walking a tightrope.

What he did do immaculately was fading out Maguire.

kaku06

As I have said before players at this club are way too pampered whether it’s Pogba, Lingard, Sancho or others. You don’t get to hear this kind of constant social media bickering or victim playing year after year at other clubs. They feel they are entitled. They feel they have the authority and they can undermine the managers. The lack of accountability is visible and the lack of professionalism is apparent. You can see it manifesting itself on the pitch.

The reason a player like Sancho who has been a flop for 2 years has the audacity to go on social media and basically call the manager a liar and says “I have been a scapegoat” is only because of the rotting attitude amongst some of the players.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
You have to reach a level every day at Manchester United and we can make choices. So for this game he [Sancho] wasn't selected'

I don’t want to get into semantics.

Yea, we’re done here.

I touched on semantics in my previous reply, you’ve either A) chosen to ignore it or B) Lack comprehension.

I am not ‘bashing the manager’. Jog on.
Antony has his own issues and the jury is still very much out on him but he's done more to convince me he's a United player under the current manager than Sancho in the same time.

Where I agree with you is that I'm not keen on managers singling players out in public, very rarely is that ideal. However for now it remains to be seen how this affects the player and ultimately the team, and broadly speaking I back the manager over Sancho.

Second half performance was spineless.
Players walking around, Rashford literally on his last breath for the last 25 minutes of the match. No urgency at all. Slow zombie football.
We've been here before
We could have won it had Garnacho managed to stay a bit further back. We stayed in the game until the very end, having dealt with some testing personnel issues, against one of the best teams in the league away from home. I could name you ten more spineless and embarrassing post-Fergie performances without drawing breath :lol:

AFC NimbleThumb

I think ETH would replace Antony if he had a viable alternative. He played Bruno RW a few times last season

Also when hes talking about standards hes also including application and effort which Antony never lacks and Sancho last season nearly always did
Fair point on Bruno.

The thing I find with Antony’s industry is a lot of it comes after he’s fecked up & lost the ball anyway. I always think it rather damning when a player is remarked for things like application, with the best it’s generally a given but you talk about the more technical things first.

pjaya

sancho has to go with these attitude
U17/U21 Reserved I don’t care
Just don’t want to see him in United shirt

gaffs

Do you really think ten Hag would just let Sancho out of an already thin squad and then lie publicly about the reason why?

That makes no sense at all. Its obviously true to ten Hag, it may not be true to Sancho but I doubt a player is left out of the squad without any warning at all.
Obviously, something has happened.

No, I wouldn't have thought that ETH would lie about it publicly. Though, I also would have thought he was smarter than publicly calling out Sancho for not training well enough.

To me, Ten Hag's tone has changed over the last few weeks. He has been very defensive in interviews and starting to point fingers. He was saying how good the performance was against Wolves and how unlucky we were against Spurs.

Today he said, "everything went against us", then went on to say the VAR offside call was wrong, that the Rice goal should not have stood for a foul on Evans and Hojland should have got a pen. There is no way the fouls he mentioned were fouls - they don't ever get given. Then he is arguing against technology, not opinion. We all know, his opinions would be different if a soft foul was called for a pen against us.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
As I have said before players at this club are way too pampered whether it’s Pogba, Lingard, Sancho or others. You don’t get to hear this kind of constant social media bickering or victim playing year after year at other clubs. They feel they are entitled. They feel they have the authority and they can undermine the managers. The lack of accountability is visible and the lack of professionalism is apparent. You can see it manifesting itself on the pitch.

The reason a player like Sancho who has been a flop for 2 years has the audacity to go on social media and basically call the manager a liar and says “I have been a scapegoat” is only because of the rotting attitude amongst some of the players.
Yep. Spot on. It's been our main problem since Fergie retired.

Cassidy

Fair point on Bruno.

The thing I find with Antony’s industry is a lot of it comes after he’s fecked up & lost the ball anyway. I always think it rather damning when a player is remarked for things like application, with the best it’s generally a given but you talk about the more technical things first.
I’m not saying hes good. I’m saying his alternative being Sancho is a-lot worse.

saik

Ok, let’s play.

Who is ‘he’ in that sentence you quoted. One word answer.

If I call ‘you’ an idiot who is looking to win a fight on an internet forum with someone he never met over semantics am I talking about A) ‘you’, B) @saik or C) There the same damn thing.

Quite frankly you’re the problem on forums like this one. If you don’t agree cool but why are we getting bogged down in minutiae about something other than the topic. If you can’t understand he can be used as a replacement in the sentence for an exact name then quite frankly you aren’t equipped for this discussion big man. You don’t consider it a name drop, I do, we won’t agree so what else can I help you with.
He is Sancho. And honestly, you should look up what namedropping means. If ETH brought the topic of Sancho without being asked about it, then that would be namedropping. :lol:

I don't care if I win any argument with any stranger on the forum. I have an issue that you think ETH is the problem here by "namedropping" Sancho.

Cassidy

Obviously, something has happened.

No, I wouldn't have thought that ETH would lie about it publicly. Though, I also would have thought he was smarter than publicly calling out Sancho for not training well enough.

To me, Ten Hag's tone has changed over the last few weeks. He has been very defensive in interviews and starting to point fingers. He was saying how good the performance was against Wolves and how unlucky we were against Spurs.

Today he said, "everything went against us", then went on to say the VAR offside call was wrong, that the Rice goal should not have stood for a foul on Evans and Hojland should have got a pen. There is no way the fouls he mentioned were fouls - they don't ever get given. Then he is arguing against technology, not opinion. We all know, his opinions would be different if a soft foul was called for a pen against us.
He is in the same place Jose was in after the Maguire summer. He is clearly pissed off

He clearly wanted certain players shipped out. Likely Sancho included and wanted more players in

AFC NimbleThumb

This probably runs through Sancho's mind of not having enough time.. The right manager etc. Keep in mind though that even Garnacho took his spot, and Sancho has objectively been mostly shite for us. He and his mates can bitch about it all they want, if he doesn't train well much less perform on the pitch for 3 managers over 2 years then prove it at another club. None of us will miss him.
Sancho has been a terrible signing for us but I see his time thus far similar to a Pogba, if you played out his United career 100 other times I think we’re seeing the worst version.

Whilst our recruitment has been terrible I’m more concerned with the fact players seemingly don’t just underperform here but turn into the worst version of themselves time & again, even Caf faves like a Shaw have probably had a middling version of their careers if you were to roll the dice 100 times.

People zoom in on a player as we’re doing now with Sancho but Antony is next believe me. The cycle just continues & I honestly don’t think it’s as simple as ‘x Player’, there’s something really wrong at the club.

AFC NimbleThumb

Antony has his own issues and the jury is still very much out on him but he's done more to convince me he's a United player under the current manager than Sancho in the same time.

Where I agree with you is that I'm not keen on managers singling players out in public, very rarely is that ideal. However for now it remains to be seen how this affects the player and ultimately the team, and broadly speaking I back the manager over Sancho.
I just go by the mantra that if you call someone out, at work, in a team etc. then your own house has to be in order. I like EtH [which makes the accusation I’m bashing him ridiculous] but he’s not batting a hundred currently himself.

If Sancho were one of minimal misfiring parts then fine but we’ve been poor for some time. He showed last year that when he wants to he can avoid answering questions on players, Sancho in particular, so to talk about ‘he’ today wasn’t a misslip. Maybe it gives Sancho a kick, who knows.

gaffs

He is in the same place Jose was in after the Maguire summer. He is clearly pissed off

He clearly wanted certain players shipped out. Likely Sancho included and wanted more players in
I get that. He must be pissed off he cant get rid of some of the deadwood.

But he must know that comes with the job. He knows he had an underperforming side when he walked in. He has made a ton of signings, he has improved the form of a couple of players, but the team are still playing badly.

I dont understand the value in calling out Sancho publicly. There is more to it as i think the denial from Sancho if so clear that i dont think its just about raining.