Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

Telsim

Only two ways this ends now. Either Sancho leaves or Ten Hag leaves.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I didn't say he needs to coddle him. He just doesn't need to go to the complete opposite extreme. It's already clear it's had a negative impact on Sancho.
Well he either lies to the journalist making an excuse for him, says no comment, or the truth. I dont think you can describe what he did as extreme. Like with all self entitled people, when called out on their behaviour, it's always someone else's fault.

justsomebloke

I didn't say he needs to coddle him. He just doesn't need to go to the complete opposite extreme. It's already clear it's had a negative impact on Sancho.
Sorry, but how is that "the opposite extreme"? If Sancho was dropped from the squad because of poor performances in training, and he's asked a direct question about why he wasn't in the squad, it would in fact be the opposite opposite extreme if he didn't answer that truthfully. He's never criticised him publicly before despite a full season that could only be called underwhelming, and he gave him months away to work on his mental and physical conditioning, backing that up with clearly supportive statements. No one can argue ETH hasn't tried the warm, positive approach. But sooner or later, you have to make demands at a club like United. This isn't a retirement home. And there is no excuse for a lax approach to training, particularly not for someone who's been given the leeway Sancho already has.

If anything is extreme and unreasonable it's Sancho's response, which is ridiculously damning in itself.

Teja

I have never been bothered by a player's arrogance or attitude. Sancho is undoubtedly a skilled player, but ETH lost one of their players at the start of the season for unspecified reasons. It's unacceptable, no matter how you view it, it reflects poor man-management and squad-management. For what reason does he have to say "he is that bad to be left" publicly?
This is coming from a guy who has even backed DDG / Maguire after disastrous performances last season. His deal with the players was that he'd always shield them from media criticism, but they better keep up their standards so they can shield themselves from the manager's.

I'm firmly in the ETH camp here. Sancho probably screwed up if Ten Hag's calling him out publicly.

Wazzaduke33

The reality is that our club is a circus, everything that goes on is beyond a drama, it’s pathetic really

1. Sale process - absolute joke
2. Ownership - absolute joke
3. Mason Greenwood saga - absolute joke
4. Transfer strategy - absolute joke
5. Media / Communications- absolute joke

ETH hasn’t got a hope in hell in this shit show, I think he’s a good manger and has the right type of character to be leading our club. But the club is rotten from the top down, Glazers, Arnold, a core of toxic players and it needs a radical overhaul and until this happens we will see these types of events like the Sancho dummy spits week in week out. My only fear is ETH joins the long line of managers getting pumped and it’s rinse & repeat, this will be the most likely outcome in this shambles . . .

Frank White

He coddled him last year and that didn't work so maybe he thought he would try a new a approach? What he said wasn't even bad.

justsomebloke

I have never been bothered by a player's arrogance or attitude. Sancho is undoubtedly a skilled player, but ETH lost one of their players at the start of the season for unspecified reasons. It's unacceptable, no matter how you view it, it reflects poor man-management and squad-management. For what reason does he have to say "he is that bad to be left" publicly?
...what, you think a player's attitude is of no importance?

crossy1686

career ending
Teeny tiny part of me feels for Sancho, because he's not in charge of his twitter, barely any of them are. He probably wanted to make the statement, but that means people around him felt this was a good idea and needed to be said? Badly let down by the people who are meant to be protecting his career and his "brand". No adult should have oked the decision to post a very unnecessary and ill advised response.

Or he might just be trying to force his way out, and this was the easiest way.
Come on, he shut it all down last year then fecked off to Holland for a mental health holiday or whatever that was. He's absolutely in charge of it, nothing goes out without his permission.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He coddled him last year and that didn't work so maybe he thought he would try a new a approach? What he said wasn't even bad.
A new approach could be doing that behind closed doors.

Saying a player isn't doing enough in training doesn't tend to yield results. I can't think of an instance where there was a way back. Mkhi closest to maybe working out because he played a bit after Jose said "he needs to do more", but he was a Jose signing and was obligated to make it work. Even he collapsed though.

DickDastardly

Doesn't have to be that dramatic.

Erik seems like a person who is firm but forgiving, doesn't strike me as a grudge holder.

There is still a long way to go in Jadon's career, and this is one of those defining moments that can make you a better person and a better footballer.

There's the easy way out for him, he goes to Arabia and collects the paycheck that secures him and his grandchildren should he ever have them.

There's also a harder, but way more satisfying path he should take, get his head down and start working his ass for the club and manager, show him he's up for the task set out for him.

Let's hope it's the latter.

DavelinaJolie

I don't really have time for this kind of nonsense: "I believe there are other reasons for this matter that I won’t go into".

If you can't or won't say it, don't say anything. Just looks like trying to sow seeds of doubt and get minds jumping to conclusions.

Frank White

Saying a player isn't doing enough in training doesn't tend to yield results. I can't think of an instance where there was a way back. Mkhi closest to maybe working out because he played a bit after Jose said "he needs to do more", but he was a Jose signing and was obligated to make it work. Even he collapsed though.
You're assuming that hasn't been done though. Going to do the same here but very much doubt that this is the 1st time Sancho has been told about his effort by Eth.

justsomebloke

And how exactly would you know that he hasn't done that?

Judas

Open to offers
Come on, he shut it all down last year then fecked off to Holland for a mental health holiday or whatever that was. He's absolutely in charge of it, nothing goes out without his permission.
It'll all go through a 3rd party, bad decisions are why these players don't have control of their socials, to stop them posting disastrous things like this! I'd be gobsmacked if he's in control of it, so that simply means other people actually thought it was a good idea which is mental.

tenhagsimp

:lol::lol::lol:

Obviously, you're the type of person who doesn't take the time to get better educated on a subject before typing anything.

Inside Jadon Sancho’s troubled career, indiscipline issues as he fights Ten Hag

1. Manchester City

2. Borussia Dortmund
  • 20 October 2019: Sancho was fined up to 100,000 pounds for turning up late for training with no justifiable excuse after being away on international duty. His actions upset manager Lucien Favre, who dropped him from his squad to face Borussia Monchengladbach. - 90 Min
  • 7 June 2020: During the COVID-19 lockdown, he, alongside Manuel Akanji, were fined for having a haircut in their home, which was a contravention of the rules set in place to curb the pandemic. The Bundesliga also fined Sancho because of that violation. Then-teammate Emre Can had this to say about Sancho ->

3. England
  • Gareth Southgate confirmed that Sancho's lack of playing time at the Euros (Euro 2020 in the summer of 2021) was down to lack of training form.

So that's Pep Guardiola, Lucien Favre, Emre Can, Gareth Southgate and now Erik ten Hag, who all either did or said something towards Jadon Sancho's poor attitude. That's a lot of people if you ask me.

Last but not least, tell me where and how Sancho has performed whenever he was given playing minutes so far this season. If he can't suck it up and work harder just like AWB and Luke Shaw did before him, that's his problem. Garnacho is definitely younger than Sancho when the former was criticized by Ten Hag in earlier stages of last season, but Garnacho took criticism as a source of motivation instead of complaining or sulking. A football club does not have and should not have patience for weak characters because there are other players willing to do whatever necessary to steal Sancho's spot, whether you like it or not.
This is truly damning. Anyone still defending Sancho need a knock in the head. The phrase "if you go everywhere and smells shit its time to check your own arse" applies to him.

RedDevilQuebecois

And how do you know it has not been done already? If all Sancho does is going down the same silly route that Dele Alli took despite all efforts to keep things behind closed doors, what else would any sane manager do with him while there are also 20+ players to take care of as well?

For the record, AWB, Shaw, Garnacho and Rashford took criticism on the chin and then earned their way back in the manager's good graces.

Last edited:

G-MUFC

Utd must back Ten Hag in this.
We need to get rid of players with Sancho's attitude.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Sancho could also just publicly apologise, say he's had a conversation with the manager, understands why he was dropped, will work to get back into the team, etc.

It's not that big an issue, the player can climb down if he wants. It's just whether he wants to.

But in all honesty I think there was quite a big likelihood of Sancho leaving next summer anyway. So regardless of what happens we're probably ultimately heading in that direction.

crossy1686

career ending
It'll all go through a 3rd party, bad decisions are why these players don't have control of their socials, to stop them posting disastrous things like this! I'd be gobsmacked if he's in control of it, so that simply means other people actually thought it was a good idea which is mental.
I'm presuming he was annoyed by the Ten Hag comment and saw the socials comments flooding in so he asked his social media guy to put out a statement on his behalf. We know he's sensitive to this shit because he literally shut all his socials down last year because people were questioning his performances.

Personally, I think he's been waiting for this so he can force a move. This reduces his price considerably because we want him gone.

cyberman

The likes of AWB are examples of this though? Now he’s starting RB for us.
I don’t think there is a way back for Sancho but it’s not because of this statement, this is just a consequence of that.
I was thinking about this yesterday, if he were even on the bench who would he have come on for now that Hojlund through the middle has stopped Rashford moving to CF? Are we bringing him on in front of Garnacho?
He’s done here.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm presuming he was annoyed by the Ten Hag comment and saw the socials comments flooding in so he asked his social media guy to put out a statement on his behalf. We know he's sensitive to this shit because he literally shut all his socials down last year because people were questioning his performances.

Personally, I think he's been waiting for this so he can force a move. This reduces his price considerably because we want him gone.
But it shows these pampered kids are surrounded by yes men doesn't it.

I feel like if even Chelsea stay away due to question marks over your attitude and performance you're really in trouble.

crossy1686

career ending
But it shows these pampered kids are surrounded by yes men doesn't it.

I feel like if even Chelsea stay away due to question marks over your attitude and performance you're really in trouble.
Well yeah, but rich people will always surround themselves with people who enable their behaviour. It's like Michael Jackson's doctor, he was never not going to give him the sleeping pills because he'd just replace him if he didn't.

I think Chelsea is our only realistic option at moving him on at this point, he won't go to Saudi yet, or maybe a huge offer will make him consider it.

the_cliff

Ah, now I get it. The job of a winger isn’t to create chances for the central striker and other attackers, it’s to work.

You’ve described perfectly the job description of a holding midfielder, not a winger.
I'm sorry to break it to you but you're about 10 years too late. Wingers are as involved nowadays in the defensive aspect of the game as a holding midfielder and if they don't press/track the runs of the fullback wingers then they deserve to be dropped.

Do you not see how City dropped Mahrez for large parts last season especially in the big games ? When he was their best attacking threat in terms of goals and chances created from out wide ?

If you can't put in the defensive effort as a modern day winger you won't play. Simple as. The only way you can get away with it is if you're an Mbappe/Vini level talent which Sancho is not...

dalriada

I think time will be up soon for Sancho. I'm not sure calling him out publicly was the best idea by ETH (unless it was calculated) and I preferred Ole's practice of keeping it behind closed doors, but he is entitled to do it whereas Sancho's response is just petulant. It's not as if he's been pulling up trees in the time he's been here, either under Ole or ETH. A shame, there's a genuine talent there and he looked promising in pre-season.

Loon

:lol:
That Noah lad who crossed him at Ajax never came back from it. Be nice to sell him and use the money in January on a player who is actually a sucess.

sugar_kane

It’d be an absolute result if we can sell Sancho to Saudi.

It’s absurd that he is our highest paid player. At least De Gea had been here 12 years and had played nearly every week in that time.

That said, I don’t believe this was a calculated move by Ten Hag - what he said was extremely consistent with what he says about anyone.

I also don’t believe the statement from Sancho was specifically about Ten Hag but rather people slagging him off online.

I’m surprised (although not really since it makes for a juicy story…) that the more reputable journos like Whitwell have played dumb on this and pretended they don’t understand simple English. Sancho said don’t believe what is “written” (not “said”) and then said he respects the coaching staff. Not that hard to understand really is it.

Overhaul FC

The reality is that our club is a circus, everything that goes on is beyond a drama, it’s pathetic really

1. Sale process - absolute joke
2. Ownership - absolute joke
3. Mason Greenwood saga - absolute joke
4. Transfer strategy - absolute joke
5. Media / Communications- absolute joke

ETH hasn’t got a hope in hell in this shit show, I think he’s a good manger and has the right type of character to be leading our club. But the club is rotten from the top down, Glazers, Arnold, a core of toxic players and it needs a radical overhaul and until this happens we will see these types of events like the Sancho dummy spits week in week out. My only fear is ETH joins the long line of managers getting pumped and it’s rinse & repeat, this will be the most likely outcome in this shambles . . .
Some may think that's a rant but it's accurate.

Ten Hag is doing miracles trying to renew the squad during all of this.

He's trimmed the squad now with only Maguire and VdB left that he probably wants out asap.

If there was to be new owners he'd be in a position to build out the squad further and have 2 good players in each position.

Missing ingredient is the sale.

SoCross

If this doesn’t light a fire up Sancho’s ass, nothing will.

Ten Hag has gone about it with a soft carrot approach, the whole leave given last year. Now he’s going for the stick approach.

Up to the player to save his United career now.

alexthelion

He chose Antony and is using it as an excuse. It's a shame that he lost such a valuable squad player. If he truly wanted to give Sancho a chance, he should have given him at least four consecutive starting games at his best position to see if he could perform better than Antony, instead, he decided to send him to private individual training for 3 months and once the new season began, he publicly declared that the player is not good enough. It's a football club with players of different backgrounds/mental states, not a church or ETH's cult.

I don't understand why people are content with losing a technically skilled player in our weakest position. No matter how you view it, ETH mishandled the situation in an immature manner.
Is that you Jadon?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
feck me, I was interested to hear it and then I saw it was over 1hr long??? How on Earth do you people have time (or the inclination) to listen to someone babble on about United for over an hour :eek:
For me i just put things on background while I play Fifa or other games on my PS

saivet

If this doesn’t light a fire up Sancho’s ass, nothing will.

Ten Hag has gone about it with a soft carrot approach, the whole leave given last year. Now he’s going for the stick approach.

Up to the player to save his United career now.
Yeah, very much looks like last chance saloon. I think ETH will give him the opportunity to turn things around but if not, he'll be rightfully gone in January or the summer.

fallengt

Supporters of this club:
"We need to be ruthless. SAF was ruthless."
"NOOO. Not that ruthless, not my beloved Sancho. Anyone else but him. So unprofessional "

RuudTom83

Nice of EtH and Jadon to give the media something to talk about during the international break...the club that keeps on giving! :rolleyes:

astracrazy

You know it already hasn't been tried behind closed doors? There seems to be a common theme with Sancho and it all revolves around the same thing, his attitude.

EtH doesn't come across as an emotionally reactive type of person (like Mourinho as an extreme example). I suspect EtH knew exactly what he was doing when he said what he said.

You have probably answered the question in your post....no way back.

Sancho is the type of player we don't need here and would follow out other players who also had poor attitudes.