Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

DavelinaJolie

Its a shame to be honest. Was really hoping Sancho would push on this year and show what he is capable of, and the team could have done with that but eh. It is what it is.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
An insult to Young this, he was class compared to Sancho. He has been as crap as Falcao, who is maybe the worst player i've seen at United if you take expectations into consideration.
Sancho’s been disappointing but nowhere near Falcao levels of crap.

Bless him, Falcao made Weghorst look like prime Rooney. The guy couldn’t simply run without falling over…

I’m not sure people actual appreciation how surreally bad Falcao was for Utd.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
This is the dumbest exchange ever. Feels like something out of a Jim Carrey movie

Person A: Sanchez lacks mental fortitude and resilience
Me: Yeah, it's not as if he's had an amazing career and was good everywhere else. United has been the common denominator for bad spells recently
You: Sanchez having an amazing career is irrelevant to his performances at United
Me: ?? that's dumb - that assertion was made in the context of him supposedly lacking mental fortitude - which is comical considering he's had an amazing career
You: Re-read my post I never once talked about mental fortitude
Me: ?? You quoted my post in which I was directly responding to the mental fortitude and resilience remark regarding Sanchez - and said that the one thing that can be used to show he has plentiful mental fortitude and resilience is "irrelevant" - how does that make sense contextually?

:confused:
Makes a pretty compelling case for turning the Internet off for good!

Eddy_JukeZ

This is the dumbest exchange ever. Feels like something out of a Jim Carrey movie

Person A: Sanchez lacks mental fortitude and resilience
Me: Yeah, it's not as if he's had an amazing career and was good everywhere else. United has been the common denominator for bad spells recently
You: Sanchez having an amazing career is irrelevant to his performances at United
Me: ?? that's dumb - that assertion was made in the context of him supposedly lacking mental fortitude - which is comical considering he's had an amazing career
You: Re-read my post I never once talked about mental fortitude
Me: ?? You quoted my post in which I was directly responding to the mental fortitude and resilience remark regarding Sanchez - and said that the one thing that can be used to show he has plentiful mental fortitude and resilience is "irrelevant" - how does that make sense contextually?

:confused:
If I quote you in response, it doesn't mean I'm responding to your broader/main point.

TsuWave

Sanchez has not had an amazing career.
I disagree. He’s won more than 90% of players ever will. Played for some of the biggest clubs in the world, had spells in which he was among the best around, and led his national team to glory.

Amazing career - and even if you allow room to account for personal opinions/preferences - the notion that he lacks resilience or mental fortitude is comical.

If I quote you in response, it doesn't mean I'm responding to your broader/main point.
:lol: I can see that you’re just going to do this weird side-stepping thing. So whatever.

manutddjw

Bless him, Falcao made Weghorst look like prime Rooney. The guy couldn’t simply run without falling over…

I don't want to derail this thread, but at least Falcao scored a few goals for us. Weghorst was way worse.

moodyred

I don't get the scapegoat comment. Who does he feel has made him a scapegoat?

I certainly don't feel that can be targeted at either management, coaching staff or the fans.
After the games in the dressing room, I can only imagine ETH giving it to him for his performances which is fully justified. Probably demanded more from him and suggested that the breakdown of some attacks are probably due to him holding the ball and passing backwards instead of taking on the defence and run down the flanks.

That's what fans are upset with him about and I am sure ETH too. Yet, he thinks he is a scapegoat. He needs a reality check.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

I never understood how he slipped so often on the pitch. It was comical really.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ole's signings....sadly as bad as LvG's.
We can’t blame Ole on this one really, I remember back then over 99% of our fans want him here. It’s basically a signing everyone wanted, and to be fair he was highly rated back then, didn’t he score like 20 goals 20 assist a season for Dortmund?

Man-United

We can’t blame Ole on this one really, I remember back then over 99% of our fans want him here. It’s basically a signing everyone wants.
Tbf, most of the redcafe got almost every signing wrong. They were desperate for Sanchez, Di Maria, Falcao, Schneiderling, Schweinsteigher, wanted LvG, Mourinho and even Ragnick!

el3mel

Who said he lacked mental resilience?

Are you even reading? I just said he was on the wane prior to his move here and then declined even more here.
The guy of the original post whom you agreed with, or did you agree with him without reading his post?

Sancho and piano playing Sánchez - players who lack mental resilience and fortitude

Care_de_Bobo

Don't know about assist numbers but:

Dan James 74 games 9 goals
Sancho 82 games 12 goals

Not great reading is it :( . I'm not sure what to think about all the reports but we seem to be cursed when buying wide forwards. Dan James was at least a bargain signing that did ok at times.
Context is very important. James scored in his first three games for United. Only two of his goals were in any way decisive as he scored the 4th goal in a game 3 times, the 5th in another and also the 9th. Not many of his goals meant much results wise. At least Sancho has big goals against Liverpool and Leeds. Slim pickings, but let's not rewrite history and claim Dan James was better for us on the pitch. He was a better signing in terms of value and resale though, that's true.
I disagree. He’s won more than 90% of players ever will. Played for some of the biggest clubs in the world, had spells in which he was among the best around, and led his national team to glory.

Amazing career - and even if you allow room to account for personal opinions/preferences - the notion that he lacks resilience or mental fortitude is comical.

:lol: I can see that you’re just going to do this weird side-stepping thing. So whatever.
I'm sorry, but led his national team to glory? In Chile's two Copa America wins he scored just 1 goal in a knockout game which was in a 7-0 vs Mexico. Other than that he had 3 goals over the 2015 and 2016 tournaments against Panama and Bolivia. Vidal and Vargas were so far ahead of him in those tournaments it's unreal, the rest of the midfield and most of the defence were also more important in those wins. His winning penalty in 2015 was after Argentina had missed 2 and Chile none, so he didn't even have to take a high pressure penalty.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good player or anything, but no need to rewrite history to big him up.

We can surely all agree that Sancho has been disappointing without resorting to comparisons with Sanchez, Falcao and James, because based purely on onfield performances they are pretty wide of the mark.

Borussia Teeth

After the games in the dressing room, I can only imagine ETH giving it to him for his performances which is fully justified. Probably demanded more from him and suggested that the breakdown of some attacks are probably due to him holding the ball and passing backwards instead of taking on the defence and run down the flanks.

That's what fans are upset with him about and I am sure ETH too. Yet, he thinks he is a scapegoat. He needs a reality check.
But why would this not be an issue for Antony as well?

moodyred

But why would this not be an issue for Antony as well?
I feel Antony is at least willing to take on the defenders and is far more hardworking than sancho. Antony needs to improve in his scoring and ball in the final third.

TsuWave

I'm sorry, but led his national team to glory? In Chile's two Copa America wins he scored just 1 goal in a knockout game which was in a 7-0 vs Mexico. Other than that he had 3 goals over the 2015 and 2016 tournaments against Panama and Bolivia. Vidal and Vargas were so far ahead of him in those tournaments it's unreal, the rest of the midfield and most of the defence were also more important in those wins. His winning penalty in 2015 was after Argentina had missed 2 and Chile none, so he didn't even have to take a high pressure penalty.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good player or anything, but no need to rewrite history to big him up.
I’m not rewriting history to big him up. I did say that even if you allow room to account for subjective views - he’s had an amazing career. I don’t believe a penalty stops being a pressure penalty because the opponent missed, for example. Discounting leading his national team to glory - he won with them - and he has also won more than most players ever will, and he did have spells in his career in which he was one of the best around.

saying he lacked mental fortitude or resilience is much closer to revisionist history than saying he’s had an amazing career. What are we doing?

Chumpsbechumps

Players should have “no social media posting regarding your job” clauses unless it’s cleared by the club.

Im sick of people defending players. ETH has done everything possible to help the player but from all accounts he’s not raising his performances or workrate in training.

He’s a professional footballer getting paid a lot of money to perform on field for United. He’snot doing that well. It might hurt him but it’s just the truth and every player in the world has to either be able to handle what is expected of them or pay for it in some way.

ETH basically said what’s been said about Sancho at all clubs and country , he’s a poor trainer. There’s nothing new in that. The players posting reaction is that of poor character and one who probably doesn’t look at his own behaviour in this.

I’ve no time for players like this and would be happy to offload him asap.

ETH has done absolutely nothing wrong. Either the player starts raising his performances (rather than make excuses on twitter) or he will be offloaded as every other club in the world would do with an under performing player. Particularly after all the efforts the club and manager have gone to try and protect him and give him every opportunity to get over what’s going on with him.

I’d offload him asap.

Dve

Lindelöf knows how to answer those questions:

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

It's not really his place to say what's going on behind the scenes. But at least the Iceman is professional and giving smart answers.

Cloud7

To be fair to the iceman, while i am no real fan of him as a player, he has been criticized far more for a far longer period than sancho, saw himself go from first choice to the bench, but has still kept on with his craft and has, imo improved, and has worked himself to the point of being first choice backup and generally a regular figure in the team, all without crying on social media. Sancho could use a bit of lindelof's drive and mental fortitude.

Partridge

Not sure I'm remembering correctly, but didn't falcao come to us after recovering from a massive leg break? He was absolute turd though, only that skinny minge bag, Di Maria was worse.

Mercurial

It's not really his place to say what's going on behind the scenes. But at least the Iceman is professional and giving smart answers.
He is the NT capitan, so has good training, he used to dodge media and now he is the pro at it.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Not sure I'm remembering correctly, but didn't falcao come to us after recovering from a massive leg break? He was absolute turd though, only that skinny minge bag, Di Maria was worse.
Thought it was a bad ACL issue. He really tried, I have nothing but respect for Falcao.

He just wasn’t cut out for the PL at that point of his career, think he found a bit of form again when he went to another league.

Mercurial

He had a massive tear of the ACL, i was so surprised we bought him, his injury was of a career ending variety. We did his agent a solid.

led_scholes

Thought it was a bad ACL issue. He really tried, I have nothing but respect for Falcao.

He just wasn’t cut out for the PL at that point of his career, think he found a bit of form again when he went to another league.
Yeah he was really good for Monaco from 2016 till 2018. He was crap at Chelsea the previous year too.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
More like a club signing, tbf. He was the young English talent every English team would have loved to sign.
Well... no... apparently not.

United was the only team reported as being heavily interested in him and City even did let him leave earlier.

RMD83

Copa America
La Liga
FA Cup
Chile all time top scorer?

I think that’s pretty good.
As well as being one of the best players in the league for a few seasons at Arsenal. He’s certainly put in far better performances in England than Sancho has.