Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Pogba. Lukaku. Rashford. Martial. Sancho.
As another poster has already mentioned you missed Maguire. And where is Lingard in your list? Or have you only posted players you like but couldn’t care less about the rest?

Plastic Evra

As another poster has already mentioned you missed Maguire. And where is Lingard in your list? Or have you only posted players you like but couldn’t care less about the rest?
I think the list has some commonality to possibly & provocatively speculate on the "undertones" mentioned in what he quoted.

Edit : Or I misread completely judging by a later message :D
Would it surprise you one can read too much in a message ?

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You're right Ronaldo's case was way different. It wasnt a tweet it a whole interview shitting all over the club. Sancho's actions is not nearly as severe as Ronaldo's ideally there's a way back for him if he takes the challenge fires up and starts performing in trainnings and games. But I just do see Sancho as that type of player, I know mental health is important etc but last season event of him going 2 months and returing without any improvement makes me think he just doesnt have it. He's not a temperamental player.
Hes finished at United. He’ll be out of here in Jan.
There is absolutely zero chances ETH and the coaches gave this lad special dispensation last season and he repays them the way he has and he gets another chance.

ETH is as ruthless as it gets, hes done with him

Irwin99

Surely the No7 to Sancho business has to be BS. When we signed Sancho, Cavani was wearing it, signing Ronaldo hadn't even entered anyones head and we had to ask the PL for permission to change Cavani's squad number for Ronaldo to get 7.
Yeah that sounds suspicious to me too. Ronaldo coming back and being given his old number i can understand but Sancho taking it off Cavani makes no sense.

Makes me kind of wish some of our players had Keane's attitude to the 7 shirt and not be all that bothered if the Sancho story is true. Having said that, i'd be lying if i said i wasn't a bit underwhelmed by Mount getting it.

didz

Hes finished at United. He’ll be out of here in Jan.
There is absolutely zero chances ETH and the coaches gave this lad special dispensation last season and he repays them the way he has and he gets another chance.

ETH is as ruthless as it gets, hes done with him
He probably should be finished at United, but wasn't it his camp that knocked back the offers from Saudi Arabia? If he doesn't want to leave, there's very little we can do about it. It's not like a major European side is gonna swoop in come January with a £60m bid and a willingness to comp his current salary.

Unfortunately I read that Sancho's contract won't expire until 2027 ffs
As I understand it, his contract runs until 2026 with an option to extend by a further year. That would be in line with the 5+1 deals we usually offer to major signings.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He probably should be finished at United, but wasn't it his camp that knocked back the offers from Saudi Arabia? If he doesn't want to leave, there's very little we can do about it. It's not like a major European side is gonna swoop in come January with a £60m bid and a willingness to comp his current salary.

As I understand it, his contract runs until 2026 with an option to extend by a further year. That would be in line with the 5+1 deals we usually offer to major signings.
Not wanting to go to Saudi does not equate to not wanting to leave United

HackeyC

This is what shitty little clubs like Dortmund do. They get young lads who are surrounded by 'yes' people, who have never been challenged or told that they have to change. Then they create the perfect environment where they enable their shitty behaviour so they can sell the player on for daft money in a couple of seasons when the players stock is at its peak. If Dortmund were a proper club with ambitions to win things, they'd have put Sancho straight while he was there, but they never had any intention of doing so.

Then these players come to a team like United where these things called 'rules' and 'consequences' exist and players like Sancho can't take the hit to the ego. If Sancho's issues revolve around him going to bed late and oversleeping then he, himself can fix that by simply sorting his shit out. What's the extra bit of work United should be doing?

Ten Hag saying "Sorry lads, we can't start this meeting just yet, I've got to run back upstairs and wake Sancho up before we begin, it's my job to make sure he attends all these meetings on time. The rest of you who all got here on time can just sit quietly until I get back".
This might make sense but for Bellingham.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Honestly, who's running to the mail telling them this? Makes the club look shambolic and the manager look weak and lacking support from above. Terrible story.

dpansheth

Honestly, who's running to the mail telling them this? Makes the club look shambolic and the manager look weak and lacking support from above. Terrible story.
I believe Murtough is throwing ETH under the bus.

RedMistyDevil

Surely the No7 to Sancho business has to be BS. When we signed Sancho, Cavani was wearing it, signing Ronaldo hadn't even entered anyones head and we had to ask the PL for permission to change Cavani's squad number for Ronaldo to get 7.
Unfortunately, this isn't the first time I've heard about the #7 request. The reports that year was that Cavani didn't want to give it to Sancho, but did give it back to Ronaldo. (Source quoting The Athletic)

The sense that United’s recruitment drive became ad hoc is expounded by the story of the No 7 shirt. Sancho was offered the shirt during negotiations in summer 2020 and United gave the same message this time round. Except Edinson Cavani had possession by that point and was said to be a little put out at the request to hand it over to a player 13 years his junior having himself been persuaded to stay on at Old Trafford through a major charm offensive. Equally, Sancho was described as slightly confused by the chain of events, having been courted for so long. He settled on 25 and then, of course, Cavani gave up the No 7 to Ronaldo.

Last edited:

nickm

Oh so NOW we don't like DoFs...

Cloud7

The solution should be get rid?

If this was prime Messi or Ronaldo you would say by all means try to find a resolution but Sancho has been beyond useless in his time here. Just get rid.

Plastic Evra

I'm pretty optimistic we can find a buyer for Sancho, but maybe not at 65m£ (I've seen this quoted upthread as MU's expectations). Close to his break even point transfer fee wise, though, possibly ?
With all that business made public, I'd expect either a club good with player development or a coach with a golden touch to manage so called difficult players...

RuudTom83

The manager and players need a win this weekend.

I couldn’t care less about Sancho.

Sometimes you just need a result to alter the narrative and calm the media circus.

Tragically Hip

For anyone who follows the NBA, Sancho's saga is similar to that of Ben Simmons. Simmons made a high-profile error in a pivotal playoff game and then completely crumbled mentally to the point he essentially no longer plays despite being on a huge contract. Furthermore, Simmons takes no responsibility for his actions and downfall.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The solution should be get rid?

If this was prime Messi or Ronaldo you would say by all means try to find a resolution but Sancho has been beyond useless in his time here. Just get rid.
Not with our financial state.

gregwar

Take whatever we can get in January and bin him off ffs. The lad clearly can't be arsed.

AFC NimbleThumb

Wow, I'm pretty much as woke as it's possible to get, but this is a bit of a stretch isn't it? And why are you lumping Rashford in with the rest of those guys?
The fact you’ve used the word ‘woke’ to describe yourself is ironic. This isn’t a conversation we should be having my guy.
Lingard is a damn good shout tbf, add him in retrospect.

Maguire spent 3 years being protected by this place, if you want to ignore that fact based on the fact people have eventually come round to the fact he was never good enough is in stark contrast to the others listed.

Players I like? Lukaku? Pogba? Alright mate.

united_99

The fact you’ve used the word ‘woke’ to describe yourself is ironic. This isn’t a conversation we should be having my guy.

Lingard is a damn good shout tbf, add him in retrospect.

Maguire spent 3 years being protected by this place, if you want to ignore that fact based on the fact people have eventually come round to the fact he was never good enough is in stark contrast to the others listed.

Players I like? Lukaku? Pogba? Alright mate.
Still don’t get the selective names in your post at all. And Maguire at least for around 2 seasons has still performed for United at a level Sancho never has.
Shaw is another one who constantly gets posts regarding his body shape and clothes (let alone regarding his alleged “weak mentality”). Since he joined us at the age of 18. As indicated earlier, really weird post from you.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Still don’t get the selective names in your post at all. And Maguire at least for around 2 seasons has still performed for United at a level Sancho never has.
Shaw is another one who constantly gets posts regarding his body shape and clothes (let alone regarding his alleged “weak mentality”). Since he joined us at the age of 18. As indicated earlier, really weird post from you.
Yes, you do. :wenger:

united_99

Yes, you do. :wenger:
No, I don’t. Maguire, Shaw and Lingard missing for example. But somehow the guy who can’t even be bothered to be on time for training and team meetings while earning 350 k / week makes his list.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Sancho is giving scary, Delle Ali kinda spiraling vibes. I worry that if something doesn't change immediately, Sancho is heading towards his problems ending his career at the top, effective immediately.

I don't see who will take a chance on him if he gets dropped by United or sits out his contract.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Why wasn't this dealt with last week? Sancho wasn't with England. Did Ten Hag piss off on holiday? What was stopping the two of them meeting?

crossy1686

career ending
If there's any truth in any of the stories that have come out today we need to boot him out of the club as soon as possible. People wonder why we keep having seasons like the one we're having when there's nothing but constant dickheads in the playing squad.

AFC NimbleThumb

Explain what you mean my guy? I hate the term but in this context it was just shorthand.
The word is an automatic red flag in any discussion for me, simple. If you hate the term, use another.
That wasn’t the conversation nor is it a high bar to set.

Shaw fits the discussion perfectly as a player that has returned from off seasons continually overweight, plays well for a time then all is forgiven - rinse & repeat.

So do you find the post ‘weird’ or do you want me to add Maguire & Shaw to the list?

The post in question states, ‘The way you guys speak about football players has undertones that make me uncomfortable’, why is it my list of players that bothers you most instead of that point?

santeria13

Sublemon
Absolutely not. Manager must have 100% control who to pick on match day. And that is it. In everything else he must work with DoF. This is situation where DoF or CEO must intervene and decide what is the best for the club.

I am not saying that Erik is wrong in this but why not try to resolve this?
Because the club bending over backwards to keep players happy when they're out of order and also not performing on the pitch is a trend way too familiar with our club over the last few years. You think this would even be something 'to be resolved' at City or Arsenal? They would be training with the reserves and sold at the first opportunity and anything else after this fiasco is a complete insult to Ten Hag and undermines his position.

Dve

I'm pretty optimistic we can find a buyer for Sancho, but maybe not at 65m£ (I've seen this quoted upthread as MU's expectations). Close to his break even point transfer fee wise, though, possibly ?
With all that business made public, I'd expect either a club good with player development or a coach with a golden touch to manage so called difficult players...
I'm worried that all the stories coming out these days does nothing good for his value. I bet we won't be able to sell him at all, and instead he'll go on loan somewhere, us paying most of his wages.