Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

mu4c_20le

I think if you're going to criticise a player you need to do it when your team is playing well. Fact is we haven't been, we'd just suffered a heart breaking loss. The public perception is club is a mess, no money, the much mooted sale now not as apparent, Greenwood issue, now Anthony, team not playing well and now manager is slagging off one of our most expensive buys. Might have been best in hindsight to have dealt with this in house, but it's done. If we play poorly against Brighton, the press will keep on about this, if we finally click and play well, the Sancho part will be quickly forgotten.
He isn't great at dealing with the media. Although it did deflect from the result and the performance at the time.

crossy1686

career ending
I think if you're going to criticise a player you need to do it when your team is playing well. Fact is we haven't been, we'd just suffered a heart breaking loss. The public perception is club is a mess, no money, the much mooted sale now not as apparent, Greenwood issue, now Anthony, team not playing well and now manager is slagging off one of our most expensive buys. Might have been best in hindsight to have dealt with this in house, but it's done. If we play poorly against Brighton, the press will keep on about this, if we finally click and play well, the Sancho part will be quickly forgotten.
Yes, it would be great if we kept these problems in house and just blamed the manager for our issues instead, it's the traditional way. That way, when we sack him, we'll get to keep these players and we'll never know just how disruptive they are. Meaning when they do it to the next manager, we can just sack that guy as well, because it definitely shouldn't be made public and we definitely should back the club and the manager in these situations.

mu4c_20le

Yes, it would be great if we kept these problems in house and just blamed the manager for our issues instead, it's the traditional way. That way, when we sack him, we'll get to keep these players and we'll never know just how disruptive they are. Meaning when they do it to the next manager, we can just sack that guy as well, because it definitely shouldn't be made public and we definitely should back the club and the manager in these situations.
Calm down, nobody is sacking him yet. Save the cult behavior for when the pressure really starts to mount, probably around xmas.

AndySmith1990

You'd think a manager calling out a lazy petulant player and working to rebuild standards that have long since sunk into the mud, would be something 100% of United fans would be supportive of. But nope. Of course a few soft arses take umbridge with such management and would prefer to have a go at him

crossy1686

career ending
Calm down, nobody is sacking him yet. Save the cult behavior for when the pressure really starts to mount, probably around xmas.
:lol: Cult behaviour? Jesus, any opportunity to cause a divide eh?

Go and check my comments in the Ten Hag thread, you'll see myself and others asking questions as to what he's doing when he's spent £400m, we're still playing shit and losing games. I don't know how out of touch you are but that notion is gathering momentum and people are rightly asking questions. If Ten Hag selects Garnacho between now and January, and Garnacho is shit, while offering no explanation as to where Sancho is and why he's not getting games, what do you think is going to happen? Who is going to get fired?

You get more time and patience if you tell people what's happening, and by the sounds of things he could have thrown Sancho under the bus at any point last season when he couldn't be arsed to turn up on time.

Frank White

You'd think a manager calling out a lazy petulant player and working to rebuild standards that have long since sunk into the mud, would be something 100% of United fans would be supportive of. But nope. Of course a few soft arses take umbridge with such management and would prefer to have a go at him
This is what I thought too. I assumed it's was a pretty unanimous opinion between us fans that the players have or a getting away with way too many lacklustre performances. Maybe it's the player involved that they have issues with being called out because I find it hard to believe that if this was Maguire getting the same treatment he'd have this many supporters.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
:lol:

Chumpsbechumps

This is what I thought too. I assumed it's was a pretty unanimous opinion between us fans that the players have or a getting away with way too many lacklustre performances. Maybe it's the player involved that they have issues with being called out because I find it hard to believe that if this was Maguire getting the same treatment he'd have this many supporters.
And the gas thing is that we have gotten more value for money out of maguire, even solid performances/season and yet he gets enough abuse for the entire squad.

Sancho has done f**K all to deserve any sort of benefit of the doubt , has been given every possible opportunity to thrive, time off to find himself and the manager says the truth (poor trainer) and he looses his sh*t. Peoples priorities are just so wrong on this.

mu4c_20le

Go and check my comments in the Ten Hag thread, you'll see myself and others asking questions as to what he's doing when he's spent £400m, we're still playing shit and losing games. I don't know how out of touch you are but that notion is gathering momentum and people are rightly asking questions. If Ten Hag selects Garnacho between now and January, and Garnacho is shit, while offering no explanation as to where Sancho is and why he's not getting games, what do you think is going to happen? Who is going to get fired?

You get more time and patience if you tell people what's happening, and by the sounds of things he could have thrown Sancho under the bus at any point last season when he couldn't be arsed to turn up on time.
I'm pretty sure he didn't do it to get the fans on his side, imo he's just that honest, to a fault at times. I don't think he wanted to 'throw him under the bus' either to be fair, but his answer was unnecessarily detailed and pretty much left no room for interpretation or nuance. It gave the media the circus they wanted, and a distraction to our club. I can guarantee you the club will have spoken with him to be more discreet in the future.

Frank White

And the gas thing is that we have gotten more value for money out of maguire, even solid performances/season and yet he gets enough abuse for the entire squad.

Sancho has done f**K all to deserve any sort of benefit of the doubt , has been given every possible opportunity to thrive, time off to find himself and the manager says the truth (poor trainer) and he looses his sh*t. Peoples priorities are just so wrong on this.
Sad thing is I don't disagree which is crazy.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Why do you think he would get fired? You think people are suggesting he keep it a secret from Richard Arnold too?

Frank White

I'm pretty sure he didn't do it to get the fans on his side, imo he's just that honest, to a fault at times. I don't think he wanted to 'throw him under the bus' either to be fair, but his answer was unnecessarily detailed and pretty much left no room for interpretation or nuance. It gave the media the circus they wanted, and a distraction to our club. I can guarantee you the club will have spoken with him to be more discreet in the future.
Was it though really? He said he didn't train to the right level and therefore wasn't picked more or less imo if that was the end of it the whole saga would have been done by Monday. Sancho was the problem in all this by going on Twitter.

kaku06

First of all, we are not answerable to the media. It doesn't matter if we are telling the truth or not. I expect our manager to be truthful in appraisals of players and pass on feedback to people above him. He can be as candid he wants to be with Murtough or whoever else that is part of the club. To all others we have to show a united front no matter what. Press keeps asking about Sancho you divert attention or you handle diplomatically. Behind the scenes you can poison Sancho for all I care.

I hate talking about Pep Guardiola, but he dropped and got rid off Cancelo midseason when Cancelo was performing quite well. To date media hasn't questioned Guariola about it. He hasn't talked bad about Cancelo but its clear he isn't going to use him as much. That's how you handle players you deem useless.
Have you conveniently forgotten about what Guardiola said about Phillips infront of the media? That he was unfit and overweight and wasn’t professional enough or something like that? You couldn’t have chosen a worse example than Pep. Your posts make no sense and reek of agenda. You just want to stick the boot in and blame Ten hag for the mess Sancho himself created ever since he joined. And just like Sancho you just can’t see that you yourself are in the wrong not Ten Hag.

The Purley King

As long as you can guarantee it that’s me sold.
He’s laid down a big marker, which was needed a long time ago.
Very happy with how ETH has handled it personally.

Abusian

All the posts I’ve seen here only focus on EtH and JS, but perhaps we should see EtH’s decision to mention the training issue in the context that he has a whole squad to manage, not just one guy. I wonder if this was also a message to the whole squad: that poor trainers and guys that break discipline will get called out, no exceptions.

Some of the squad will be happy that someone not pulling their weight or bothering to meet the minimum standards of professionalism was called out. Others will be concerned about their performance and up their game.

So when thinking about this issue we should perhaps also consider the impact it may have on the rest of the squad, not just JS, who was seemingly beyond redemption after lots of opportunities and special treatment that would surely breed resentment among other squad members.

Cassidy

What he is saying is spot on. The timing of this was a huge error on ETH's part, even if we don't disagree with going public when needed. It's just added another gallon of fuel to the already burning shit storm around the club.
Respectfully disagree. Management requires integrity and you cannot only call out foul play when things are going well, only a weak manager who lacks conviction in their authority would do so

garelo

But this is not what we are discussing. ETH can be strict. SAF was strict. But SAF was not telling the press about who is lazy and who is drinking.
SAF would have kicked half of squad out of door, enough said. why the feck you're still siding with players in this one? i just dont get it.

Because ETH just simply isn't SAF and has charisma of a drying wall. But hey I actually made an argument you can't counter and suddenly Im odd
yeah i bet SAF was full charisma when everything looked so bleak in the 80's. jeez.... i thought that when we finally had a manager who instilled strict disciplinefor against these lazy entitled cnuts who called themselves manchester united players that manager wouldve gotten full support from the fans....

The Dane

It’s with Sancho as with Martial, you score against Liverpool and you get a lifetime amnesty from all criticism.

Cassidy

Never heard of a manager being forced to be 100% honest all the time. Media is going to ask about it yes, he didnt have to go on a rant like he did. Just a simple "tactical reasons:" is fine. Gabriel got dropped at the beginning of the season, and Arteta is a clown but even he didn't make a drama out of it.
1. He did not go on a rant
2. It was not tactical reasons and he wanted that to be known

The outcome after that is plain to see, and says more about the player than the manager.
We are really upset that a manager said he didn't select a player due to performance in training. Seriously?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There's something wrong with Sancho, that seems obvious from all that's been reported.

If it's just his attitude, well - only one thing to do, really. No reason for ETH or anyone else to mollycoddle him, just lay down the law.

If it's not just his attitude, though - that's a whole different kettle. But then again, it's also something ETH shouldn't have to deal with directly (he sure as feck has enough to worry about as it is).

Frank White

What he is saying is spot on. The timing of this was a huge error on ETH's part, even if we don't disagree with going public when needed. It's just added another gallon of fuel to the already burning shit storm around the club.
Agree there but the person who poured it was Sancho. Do you believe if what was said by Eth was last last thing said on the matter that this story would be as big as it is right now? Honestly believe by the time the England squad was announced Harry's inclusion in the team would have been the main talking point for this week.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Those claiming he should have been dealing with this in-house - don't you think he's done that already? Read the reports, Sancho's tardiness isn't a new phenomenon, EtH has been dealing with it since last season itself, and he had kept it in-house so far.

Let's say he never made this comment after the Arsenal game. Why do you think Sancho would have magically improved somehow if he hadn't all this while? If EtH didn't take try a new approach and call Sancho out publicly in a bid to change his ways, he would have continued being half assed about his job. EtH would still have a 350k problem to solve. In fact, he'd had a problem with more than Sancho - his inability to resolve this tardiness would have set bad precedent for other players in the squad. Imagine being Rashford and having been dropped for being a minute late, and now seeing Sancho start on the RW game after game despite being late all the time. What message does that send to Rashford, to the rest of the squad? Either you have standards, or you don't, you can't selectively apply them.

If EtH did not continue trying to deal with Sancho's tardiness by taking a new approach, the same fans would blame EtH for not being consistent in his standards and pandering to high pay players. It's a lose lose for EtH from these fans anyways.

Again, those talking about poor timing - what would be a better time? After we lost to Brighton and Bayern? Is there any guarantee the club situation gets any better a month from now? Is there any reason to expect that a placated Sancho, starting on the RW, would have bothered in these two games if he hasn't for two years? EtH would be in a further weakened position to call him out a month later. Perhaps he needed to get his players to buckle up before the tough games came along, and this was one way to do it. Some would have responded positively, Sancho didn't.

Fact is, if Sancho truly wanted to play, this was the best time for him to take his chance. With Antony out for a while, he could have gotten regular run of games on the RW, and found his form. All he needed to do was keep his head down, meet the training goals, and show his talking on the pitch. Rashford is good precedence to show that even top players will be held to these standards, that it's not personal, and that as long as you mend your ways, you'll be back. The comments themselves were not too bad from EtH after the Arsenal game. Sancho did not need to escalate it as much as he did but chose to be a petulant child instead, with nothing to back it up. That itself should tell you how rotten his attitude is.

I back the manager on this, good riddance to another entitled and ill-advised high profile marquee player. The club should reflect on how this was made possible through the ridiculous wages they sanctioned for someone who never earned it. EtH's standards are clearly primarily based on hard work and discipline and need to be met before selection, even before results on the pitch even come into the picture. That's why Antony got through, but Sancho didn't.

Last edited:

flameinthesun

For me its quite clear those that want to moan about how Ten Hag is handling this are those who likely are moaning about Ten Hag over all.

Absolute insanity.

AR87

All the posts I’ve seen here only focus on EtH and JS, but perhaps we should see EtH’s decision to mention the training issue in the context that he has a whole squad to manage, not just one guy. I wonder if this was also a message to the whole squad: that poor trainers and guys that break discipline will get called out, no exceptions.

Some of the squad will be happy that someone not pulling their weight or bothering to meet the minimum standards of professionalism was called out. Others will be concerned about their performance and up their game.

So when thinking about this issue we should perhaps also consider the impact it may have on the rest of the squad, not just JS, who was seemingly beyond redemption after lots of opportunities and special treatment that would surely breed resentment among other squad members.
Mentioned this in an earlier post as well. It was reported there were players in the squad who were unimpressed with Sancho's effort in training. It's very possible the Sancho issue is a bigger deal externally than it is internally with the squad.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I was a fan of Ralf and still am.
Funny how much shit the man got and how people kept slating him, saying he misjudged his tone and other shite like that.

Turns out, EtH and Ralf are pretty much on the same page in terms of discipline but apparently EtH wanted him out.

Even in terms of transfers, we've literally brought in 10 new players since EtH joined and it would have been more if we weren't run by clowns.

Glorio

Our social media team are nothing if predictable. Loads of pics with "Ten Hag all smiles with Rashford", same with Maguire :lol:

Good to see Rasmus in full training. You wonder whether they're just avoiding shots of Amrabat (like they did with Højlund before Arsenal) as I didn't see him at all

Battery

There are some absolute snowflakes in this thread, genuine laugh out loud moments.

Apparently answering a question in a presser is a rant, have we ever seen ETH go on a rant yet... I am not sure we have.

JS is a total cry baby, probably used to everyone around him telling him how special and great and now the reality of the situation is being made public (started with JS!). He is not special and needs to earn his place and develop a backbone.

Battery

Funny how much shit the man got and how people kept slating him, saying he misjudged his tone and other shite like that.

Turns out, EtH and Ralf are pretty much on the same page in terms of discipline but apparently EtH wanted him out.

Even in terms of transfers, we've literally brought in 10 new players since EtH joined and it would have been more if we weren't run by clowns.
Ralf was a breath of fresh air and ETH has opened the windows.