Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

neon_badger

After Solskjaer and his obsequious approach as manager, Mourinho's narcissism and Van Gaal's (admittedly funny) eccentricity its good to have a manager that is economic with his words and seems to want to keep the media at arms length......yet here we are, one honest answer to a question (the truth would have probably came out regardless of how Ten Hag answered). Really can't win sometimes.

Irwin99

It's only the anti ten Hag posters who seem to be siding with Sancho.
I just can't fathom how anyone can 'side' with Sancho after poor performances for three different United managers and a club that has a recent history of horrendous player power and turning against managers. You might not think EtH is the man for the job here which is fair enough but in the Sancho situation Sancho has earned no goodwill whatsoever with the club.

Zed 101

He is rumored to be refusing to apologize and not refusing to train.
His public statement is probably enough to warrant gross misconduct so either way.... but the club will not do anything like binning him off we have seen their reluctance to do anything but demand ridiculous prices from deadwood for years, there is no way they would can Sancho if there is a chance of making a buck

Revaulx

I’m just trying to picture the locker room. Greenwood ousted, Antony on leave, Sancho banished and Maguire sulking in the corner
I’m no Maguire fan, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s a sulker. His professionalism hasn’t been questioned.

Sancho would have been buzzing to just be left out of the squad with no pushback, he doesn’t want to play football. He’s angry because he’s been publicly called out and he’s got no excuse for the poor behaviour. Simple as that.
Yes he does, but only with a smile on his face.

Which is unlikely ever to happen in a tough environment like the PL.

stevoc

It couldn’t have been kept private. It was public the minute Sancho was left out of the squad. He wasn’t going to suddenly start performing in training - his response proves he feels he’s been great in training - so he was being left out this weekend too regardless. Unless you think ETH should just pick him despite he attitude and performance levels just to avoid media attention…
But it actually wasn't, it wasn't public until the manager chose to make it public.

I don't think Ten Hag should do anything he doesn't feel is right in terms of team selection. I just don't see how feeding another player drama to the media will result in anything positive for himself, the player or the club. And at a time when there's already negative press surrounding United's handling of the Greenwood situation and the Antony allegations.

As I've said if Ten Hag felt Sancho wasn't applying himself and couldn't get through to him. Then he could have just said he's injured and then shift him on in January. Now we'll do well to get any sort of decent price for him.

I don't know to me its been poorly handled.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
But it actually wasn't, it wasn't public until the manager chose to make it public.

I don't think Ten Hag should do anything he doesn't feel is right in terms of team selection. I just don't see how feeding another player drama to the media will result in anything positive for himself, the player or the club. And at a time when there's already negative press surrounding United's handling of the Greenwood situation and the Antony allegations.

As I've said if Ten Hag felt Sancho wasn't applying himself and couldn't get through to him. Then he could have just said he's injured and then shift him on in January. Now we'll do well to get any sort of decent price for him.

The reason Ten Hag made the comments he did was in the hope to motivate him. He's tried the supportive method and putting an arm around the shoulder, and it clearly hasn't worked if Sancho is training poorly.

Sancho has escalated it beyond any normal scope and nuked his career at United.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

The way Sancho overreacted and responded publicly to the managers “fairly innocuous” comments - what makes you so sure he wouldn’t have done the same if the manager used injury or match sharpness as a “reason”/excuse as to why he’s not part of the squad?

In that scenario, EtH would lose quite a bit of credibility for stating a player’s injured and the same player comes out and disputes that in the media. Much higher risk for the manager to take that approach.

Idxomer

We were never gonna get any decent price for him unless he was sold for the Saudi league. This is still the case after the latest developments, nothing has changed.

Castia

I’m no Maguire fan, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s a sulker. His professionalism hasn’t been questioned.

Yes he does, but only with a smile on his face.

Which is unlikely ever to happen in a tough environment like the PL.
So he wants it easy somewhere? I wonder if he will give up his 300k a week to fulfil his dream of playing in a shithouse league

What a joke

Rossa

Well looks like that hasn't worked in this case. Now it's all public we'll probably have to ship him out in January for a cut price and take a massive hit on the £80m spent on him.
I agree that as a general rule things should be dealt with in house. However, there may be very good reasons this isn’t so anymore.

Unwise of Sancho to answer in social media and then head off away instead of knuckling down and training harder than ever.

Not sure I appreciate the comments about work done by previous managers etc. It’s a little disrespectful.

RedDevil@84

His public statement is probably enough to warrant gross misconduct so either way....
Probably is not good enough when it comes to legal contracts. Not sure why you are trying to use that as a stick to beat the club.

Giggsy13

Is everyone who is critiquing ten Hag forgetting the several month retreat in the Netherlands where ten Hag revealed nothing and let Sancho train alone? He has given this player a lot of rope to get his act together, which he refuses to do. Ten Hag is in the right and I don’t blame him for calling out this petulant little puke Sancho.

Wing Attack Plan R

Why is it the manager’s job to lie for a waster who refuses to get his shit together and behave like a professional?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Is everyone who is critiquing ten Hag forgetting the several month retreat in the Netherlands where ten Hag revealed nothing and let Sancho get himself together? He has given this player a lot of rope to get his act together, which he refuses to do. Ten Hag is in the right and I don’t blame him for calling out this petulant little puke Sancho.
That's exactly how I see it. He protected him and gave him time to get his shit together and now enough is enough.

stevoc

I agree that as a general rule things should be dealt with in house. However, there may be very good reasons this isn’t so anymore.

Unwise of Sancho to answer in social media and then head off away instead of knuckling down and training harder than ever.

Not sure I appreciate the comments about work done by previous managers etc. It’s a little disrespectful.
I agree, I'm not defending Sancho's behaviour I just think it should have been kept private. I mean if Sancho has been so bad behind the scenes it's not as if that only started recently from the sounds of it. So you have to wonder why he's still at the club when the transfer window was still open a few weeks ago.

We were never gonna get any decent price for him unless he was sold for the Saudi league. This is still the case after the latest developments, nothing has changed.
Well whatever we would have gotten will no doubt be less now as his position seems untenable and any potential buyer knowing the club want him gone asap. Not a great starting point in negotiations.

Stadjer

We could hope PSG takes a punt when Mbappe leaves. But yeah, outside of a Saudi move, I can’t see us shifting him in Europe on that wages. Sancho could of course, agree to move for his own benefit and take a pay cut but that seems less likely.
Why would they?

stevoc

Why is it the manager’s job to lie for a waster who refuses to get his shit together and behave like a professional?
Protect the club's image? Not give the press ammunition to spin a negative story about the club at a time when we could do without more drama? Protect his player? Preserve a players value if he's thinking of selling him soon?

Maybe you're right. Managers should just go public with every behind the scenes issue they are having with their players.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Well looks like that hasn't worked in this case. Now it's all public we'll probably have to ship him out in January for a cut price and take a massive hit on the £80m spent on him.
We were going to take a massive hit on that transfer anyway, especially with the ridiculous reported wage he's on.

stevoc

We were going to take a massive hit on that transfer anyway, especially with the ridiculous reported wage he's on.
True, given his wages, his form, his untenable position at the club currently, not playing for months, buyers knowing the club wants him gone etc. We'd probably do well to get any sort of decent fee for him.

reelworld

Why should Sancho's poor standards be kept a secret? If Sancho can't turn up on time or train like he cares for our club, why shouldn't after multiple efforts to find a solution EtH be honest with us? I don't remember such an outcry over Rashford, and why was that? Because Rashford responded the right way and got on with it.
I don't know how this needs to be explained, but no clubs would want to buy a player with poor standard. Ten Hag just tank any value Sancho had in the transfer market

Abusian

Protect the club's image? Not give the press ammunition to spin a negative story about the club at a time when we could do without more drama? Protect his player? Preserve a players value if he's thinking of selling him soon?

Maybe you're right. Managers should just go public with every behind the scenes issue they are having with their players.
Equally, one could argue that the club’s image has been enhanced, not damaged, by this. It shows that we’re imposing standards again, at last. And the press will write negative stories about us, as always. So what? And why should EtH continue to protect this player and give him special treatment? Look at what he did for him last season, and look at how he has been repaid. Finally, the player has destroyed his own value through both his poor performances and his egregiously crap behaviour in this situation.

JS has been a shocking disappointment ever since he signed. He’s had three managers and many, many opportunities to show his value. I’m sure the management team and his teammates will be glad to see the back of him.

Paul778

I don't know how this needs to be explained, but no clubs would want to buy a player with poor standard. Ten Hag just tank any value Sancho had in the transfer market
When all of the other options have been exhausted you are left with bad options.

There is a much worse option. Allow it to continue behind closed doors implying to all new players coming in that this behaviour is acceptable.

And so the baton gets past from pogba to lingard to sancho to the next generation

lex talionis

I think he was right to answer the question as he did. The player is not meeting the standards expected, other players are and on that basis he chose not select him. He's also right to remove him from first team training.

Why should he lie? Why not just be blunt and honest? If the player cannot accept that he's not doing enough while being paid extremely well, then he needs to take a long hard look at himself, instead of going on twitter to have a whinge.

The one in the wrong here is Sancho, not repaying the time and effort the manager and club have given him to get himself sorted, not putting in the effort and performances required and then putting out a cry baby tweet when someone points out the obvious to him, he needs to grow up.
Let's assume that ETH was telling the truth when he answered a reporter's question with the following words:

"On his performance on training we didn't select him," the manager said. "You have to reach the level every day at Manchester United. You can make choices in the front line, so in this game, he wasn't selected."

I'm just a caftard who lives 5,120 miles from Old Trafford so I can only assume that ETH was telling the truth, but what I see on the pitch on matchdays is a footballer who woefully underperforms relative to reasonable expectations. The two are likely connected, but we only know what we hear since we don't watch training sessions.

But the more important point is this: that a manager is under no professional or ethical obligation or share with the media and the 1 billion people around the world who support or at lease closely following United on the training habits of his players. ETH could have, and I believe, should have said something more like the following:

"The squad selection is mine alone to make and I don't need to explain to you or anyone else why any of my players are in or out of the squad on any given matchday."

ETH could still have been furious with Sancho over his poor training -- and quite truthfully, consistently poor performances in competitive matches since the day he arrived -- the prior week but not aired internal squad dirty laundry with the public, thus avoiding the debacle that has unfolded and continues to grow by the hour. Not one of us has a problem now, or three weeks ago, with ETH dropping Sancho in favor of Pellistri, a footballer who isn't as naturally gifted as Sancho but has put his head down and done the hard work to earn what at least I hope will be a start tomorrow against Brighton.

Candor isn't always prudent. Candor is often imprudent. Candor is sometimes catastrophic. It's pretty safe to say now that ETH's candor was imprudent, even if 99% of the responsibility for Sancho's poor performances lies with Sancho.

RedDevil@84

I am not trying to use it or anything as a stick to beat the club :houllier:
You rest of the post about how club is unwilling to sell him and wanting to make lot of money is based on the theory that we already have enough to fire him. I am saying it is not good enough to nullify a legal contract. And club have no choice but to stick with him. The club can try to put him in the market, but would still need to pay him lot of money to go away, unless he doesn't want the money and will just leave.

Mercurial

He doesn't seem to be the brightest of the bunch, or simply no F's given.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
O’Hara claiming the treatment he’s receiving is disgusting and Cundy banging on about how you can’t make players train alone anymore because it’s cruel. :lol:

reelworld

When all of the other options have been exhausted you are left with bad options.

There is a much worse option. Allow it to continue behind closed doors implying to all new players coming in that this behaviour is acceptable.

And so the baton gets past from pogba to lingard to sancho to the next generation
Nah mate, when that player is not playing or selected and later sold, then other players see that it's not acceptable.
Also, I'm questioning Ten Hag player assessment at this point, because if Sancho did already have this issue since the first season then he should recognize that Sancho is uncoachable before this season start and sold him in the summer.
Now you are left with an expensive asset that everyone knows has poor mentality and standard that you have to wait until January to sold while his value keeps plummeting.

Dannn411

We could hope PSG takes a punt when Mbappe leaves. But yeah, outside of a Saudi move, I can’t see us shifting him in Europe on that wages. Sancho could of course, agree to move for his own benefit and take a pay cut but that seems less likely.
Sancho for Mbappe? Surely you can't think that is even a remote possibility. They are nothing alike and are on the opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to impact. He has next to no chance of going anywhere that isn't Saudi Arabia without taking at least a 70% cut in wages.

dalriada

After Solskjaer and his obsequious approach as manager, Mourinho's narcissism and Van Gaal's (admittedly funny) eccentricity its good to have a manager that is economic with his words and seems to want to keep the media at arms length......yet here we are, one honest answer to a question (the truth would have probably came out regardless of how Ten Hag answered). Really can't win sometimes.
Actually, ETH's bluntness reminds me a bit of LVG - remember when he first arrived and declared starkly in a presser that "Luke Shaw is not fit". I think ETH won't have the same confrontations with the media, partly we're not in that post-SAF mode of expectation.
I think Ole tried to keep these matters behind closed doors - as SAF did, although he would occasionally use the media strategically, such as when Rooney "wanted out" (which, of course, Rooney took to the media to deny).

Ghostrider318

Pretty much every club gets rid of underperforming players a lot quicker than United does. Fortunately for them, a lot of those players dont post publicly so the media frenzy is avoided.

Sancho should be made an example of. Should be made to train alone until he apologizes AND gets his act together or binned in Jan. He wont get even half of whats hes getting paid here elsewhere and that should sober him up real quick.

It will also hopefully send a signal to the rest of the squad that the 'adult disneyland' days are over

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Sancho for Mbappe? Surely you can't think that is even a remote possibility. They are nothing alike and are on the opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to impact. He has next to no chance of going anywhere that isn't Saudi Arabia without taking at least a 70% cut in wages.
Let’s pretend for a moment that I didn’t use the word “hope” in my initial post (as in its not fairly likely and said more in hope then anything because PSG might be the one club with the money and possibly more dysfunctional than us - sadly they seem to be planning a little better these days)….but let’s pretend…Sancho was a fairly highly coveted player whilst at Dortmund.

He’s a creative wide player & PSG have just signed Ramos & Kolo Muani who can bare the goalscoring burden….while Sancho tries to regain his Dortmund form, in a league a little less competitive than the EPL. They won’t be able to replace Mbappe with anyone like Mbappe anyway, because that player doesn’t exist. All in all, it’s quite a moot point though, because no one in Europe will be after him - not at his wage.

Ananke

O’Hara claiming the treatment he’s receiving is disgusting and Cundy banging on about how you can’t make players train alone anymore because it’s cruel. :lol:
I mean one of the callers said they think there’s a lot more that’s gone on that we don’t know about (which will be true) and Cundy responded with ‘like what?’

Clearly we don’t know you muppet :lol:

Oranges038

Let's assume that ETH was telling the truth when he answered a reporter's question with the following words:

"On his performance on training we didn't select him," the manager said. "You have to reach the level every day at Manchester United. You can make choices in the front line, so in this game, he wasn't selected."

I'm just a caftard who lives 5,120 miles from Old Trafford so I can only assume that ETH was telling the truth, but what I see on the pitch on matchdays is a footballer who woefully underperforms relative to reasonable expectations. The two are likely connected, but we only know what we hear since we don't watch training sessions.

But the more important point is this: that a manager is under no professional or ethical obligation or share with the media and the 1 billion people around the world who support or at lease closely following United on the training habits of his players. ETH could have, and I believe, should have said something more like the following:

"The squad selection is mine alone to make and I don't need to explain to you or anyone else why any of my players are in or out of the squad on any given matchday."

ETH could still have been furious with Sancho over his poor training -- and quite truthfully, consistently poor performances in competitive matches since the day he arrived -- the prior week but not aired internal squad dirty laundry with the public, thus avoiding the debacle that has unfolded and continues to grow by the hour. Not one of us has a problem now, or three weeks ago, with ETH dropping Sancho in favor of Pellistri, a footballer who isn't as naturally gifted as Sancho but has put his head down and done the hard work to earn what at least I hope will be a start tomorrow against Brighton.

Candor isn't always prudent. Candor is often imprudent. Candor is sometimes catastrophic. It's pretty safe to say now that ETH's candor was imprudent, even if 99% of the responsibility for Sancho's poor performances lies with Sancho.
He's a big boy, getting paid big boy money in a big boy league. If he can't handle his manager telling him he needs to pull up his socks and meet the standards expected then he has no business being there.

Those two clowns were talking about how Ferguson should declare for England last week.

Absolute muppets.