Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

McTerminator

My proposed wording is vastly better -- basically telling the media to feck off and ask another question -- than what ETH actually came up, which has ignited a firestorm. Unless, of course, ETH's objective was to create the very firestorm that he's now engulfed in, in which case his wording was pure perfection.
It isn’t.

You clearly don’t work in a job where your wording is scrutinised by the letter, be thankful for that.

ETH initial statement was fine. As above, your preferred statement sounds like someone who is losing the plot and aside from that, Maguire tried things your way and how did that work out?

Castia

The manager said he wasn’t performing in training and thats it, we‘ve since learned that Sancho is regularly late and doesn’t apply himself very well to the point that his teammates are frustrated so feck Sancho and anybody defending this type of attitude.

crossy1686

career ending
The manager said he wasn’t performing in training and thats it, we‘ve since learned that Sancho is regularly late and doesn’t apply himself very well to the point that his teammates are frustrated so feck Sancho and anybody defending this type of attitude.
Remember when Keane defended Ronaldo and said he was treated unfairly? It was fairly obvious Keane was drawing parallels between the way his United career ended and what he saw happening to Ronaldo, in turn he personalised something that wasn’t really the same situation but it brought those memories flooding back for him. The posters in here who are defending Sancho are doing the same. They got called out at work by their managers, downed tools and now they’re projecting onto this situation.

Wilt

There are umpteen Sancho threads including 53,640 replies on one thread alone.

Never in the history of the Caf has a footballer so anticipated, delivered so little.

Meme_united

Hello everyone, newbie here. I wanted to post this chant I wrote about the current Sancho situation for a bit of light relief.

To the tune of Maggie May by Rod Stewart:

Wake up Sancho, I think I’ve got somethin' to say to you
It’s mid-September and you’re training on your own once again
Your timekeeping’s f****** s***, for three fifty thousand quid
Oh, Sancho, Ten Hag couldn’t have tried any more
Pellistri needs some games, Maguire’s still a meme
Player power is ending and the owners have to change

(The bit at the end after the mandolin)

Sancho, I wished I’d never seen your face
The Glazers will f*** off home one of these days…

lex talionis

It isn’t.

You clearly don’t work in a job where your wording is scrutinised by the letter, be thankful for that.

ETH initial statement was fine. As above, your preferred statement sounds like someone who is losing the plot and aside from that, Maguire tried things your way and how did that work out?
ETH’s initial statement was absurd. But I’ll grant you that Sancho’s performances have been horrendous and his statement in response to ETH’s statement was completely inexcusable and if ETH drops him for the rest of the season I’m ok with that.

Managers and politicians and celebrities say “no comment” literally all the time. This was an occasion for a de facto comment of no comment all the time.

As for my work, it actually involves scrutinizing words, word for word, and having my words scrutinized. I could never in a million years handle the pressure that ETH lives under every day so he gets a pass from me on this one, but his comments were, to put it mildly, poorly thought out.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
ETH’s initial statement was absurd. But I’ll grant you that Sancho’s performances have been horrendous and his statement in response to ETH’s statement was completely inexcusable and if ETH drops him for the rest of the season I’m ok with that.

Managers and politicians and celebrities say “no comment” literally all the time. This was an occasion for a de facto comment of no comment all the time.

As for my work, it actually involves scrutinizing words, word for word, and having my words scrutinized. I could never in a million years handle the pressure that ETH lives under every day so he gets a pass from me on this one, but his comments were, to put it mildly, poorly thought out.
Why would he protect him much longer when he has been poor in all aspects for years? It is time he put things right, especially since he had issues here since joining

redshaw

Jadon Noshow at this point.

I don't think the club or manager ideas were sound when buying him though like DVB and others which has increased the tendency of the player to drift. We had to as a club say we see you as our right hand side player and have a progressive wage structure, if he still demanded a crazy wage to come here and preferred the left it would've been a good sign to leave the deal. Reminds me of Moyes buying Mata and we had no real idea, just a good looking player to add creativity somehow without any thought on where and how.

Said at the time if Sancho is to work he would have to adapt to United and so would the club to him.

moodyred

Our situation is compounded by the amount of wages we are paying for these players. Hope we learn the lesson and never pay crazy amount for a player again. You can't even get rid of them.

fezzerUTD

That's a lot posts for a newb......wonder why?
I couldn’t give a rats backside about my caf social credit score.
This is daft. Rashford was one of our best players last year.
Still doesn’t mean much does it. After the World Cup he was a beast. But that beast is gone. If he stayed at that level I’d be fan girling out as well, but he’s not, he doesn’t have it in him mentally to be that good for long periods.
Since when did not being the main man at a title winning side = completely useless?

Rashford has his faults, but he did score 30 goals last season and is far from being classified as useless.

Rashford would have been in every single premier league title winning squad we've ever had over the years, it's not even a debate.
Yeah useless was a bit strong, if he didn’t score against Arsenal then he would be labelled so. He doesn’t do a lot at all during games. He’s basically Sancho with a few goals.
Would have been 1st XI in 2013 and 2011.

He easily displaces Young on the left in 2013 and Park/Giggs on the left in 2011.
Would he though? Or would he have been another Welbeck because Sir Alex standards are much higher than what he’s used to. He wouldn’t get away with walking around like he does.
:lol:

Bobski

There are umpteen Sancho threads including 53,640 replies on one thread alone.

Never in the history of the Caf has a footballer so anticipated, delivered so little.
Has he even had an 8/10 game for Utd?. Even in his better games it has been 5/10/20 mins of good play then long periods of anonymity. I find it really difficult to care about all of this because of how ineffectual and pointless he has been, never really arrived as a Utd player, so I have never developed any connection to him as a fan.

SteveCoppellFan

I am not sure why this is even a debate.

Sancho clearly in the wrong so not sure why ETH is getting any flack at all.

If this was Pogba back in the day then everyone would be doing their nut, seems odd that anyone is defending Sancho here.

Captmfla

Don't think it's fair to target Sancho given that he was suffering from mental problems such as low self esteem or mild depression earlier.

Waynne

I am not sure why this is even a debate.

Sancho clearly in the wrong so not sure why ETH is getting any flack at all.

If this was Pogba back in the day then everyone would be doing their nut, seems odd that anyone is defending Sancho here.
Not just that but the guy has a history of similar behaviour at City and Dortmund.

Some 'fans' in here are fecking weird

crossy1686

career ending
Thing I don't get is he was really good pre season and the season had barely started for him
Really good is not words that I would use to describe Sancho in pre-season. I would however be comfortable saying he was improved on the 4/10 performances he was putting in last season but he wasn’t great and we were playing no pressure friendlies.

Idxomer

Has he even had an 8/10 game for Utd?. Even in his better games it has been 5/10/20 mins of good play then long periods of anonymity. I find it really difficult to care about all of this because of how ineffectual and pointless he has been, never really arrived as a Utd player, so I have never developed any connection to him as a fan.
He had very few moments of brilliance in his time with United, most notably his goals against Villarreal and Liverpool. I think the closest he came to a full good game was last season against Chelsea.

Ted Lasso

Mental health, mental health, mental health, mental health. Nonsense. Fecking sick to death of that being used in certain circumstances as some unbreakable shield to criticism and consequences.
Last season I thought it was mental health related and felt compelled to give the benefit of the doubt. It's clear that it's just a really bad attitude and insufferable amounts of excuses. This isn't a generational problem - there are still plenty of hard working and unentitled players in this age group out there. It's just that Sancho is , it turns out , a very rotten apple.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He had very few moments of brilliance in his time with United, most notably his goals against Villarreal and Liverpool. I think the closest he came to a full good game was last season against Chelsea.
Be interesting to know how many 90 minutes he’s completed since joining. His conditioning is dreadful, always seems to run out of steam soon after halftime.

Jordi Cruyff 99

Good way to deal with him. Also would prefer if Erik ten Hag did similarly with players who are not putting the yards in on the match pitch.

Dve

It is. He played on the left for Dortmund most of the time. And now he’s refusing to play on the right so he clearly thinks that’s his position.
Refusing to play on the right? Haven't heard anything about that. And it's correct that he was playing more at the left his last season at Dortmund, but before that, we was mostly utilised on the right. I believe he was brought in as a L/R winger, not a left OR right winger.

McTerminator

Fair.

I will agree that no comment would have been better.Agree to disagree on your proposed wording, not that it matters.

Not his finest moment, can agree on that, but it would still have been a nothing story, but for Sancho being a child.

stevoc

Pep had a melt down with Cancelo in public and he ended up winning treble.
Not saying it always works but why do you think it won't work? Ole took 'good manager' approach and it didn't work. Time for these prima donna players to take accountability.
Well it doesn't look like it's working with Sancho does it.

Don't know if you can pin city winning the treble on pep publicly criticising their reserve RB.

fallengt

Well it doesn't look like it's working with Sancho does it.

Don't know if you can pin city winning the treble on pep publicly criticising their reserve RB.
What is not working? Sancho doesn't performance with whatever approach they had tried so far.
Get rid is the option but United is fecking shit at selling. That's not manager's fault.

stevoc

What is not working? Sancho doesn't performance with whatever approach they had tried so far.
Get rid is the option but United is fecking shit at selling. That's not manager's fault.
Did Sancho take Eric's public criticism of him the right way, knuckle down work hard in training and give the manager a dilemma of picking him?

No he did not, the opposite in fact so clearly it didn't motivate Sancho or give him a wake up call etc.

Care_de_Bobo

Good way to deal with him. Also would prefer if Erik ten Hag did similarly with players who are not putting the yards in on the match pitch.
This is the frustrating thing, the players not giving it their all on the pitch seem to get a pass as long as they're putting the yards in in training. The unfortunate thing for Ten Hag is that while he might want to change the culture at the club, he still needs to finish in the CL places as without doing so will mean no money for replacements. Recruitment also needs to be close to perfect and it's looking pretty far from being so.

That's especially important when nobody wants many of our players and the players we have that are actually wanted, are priced out of moves anyway.

We should have taken the hit last season and not signed a midfielder, who we'd have to replace after a year or two, and a winger who had never proved himself at the highest level. Last year was the time to assess and try to weed out the players that weren't up to it, instead we went for a quick fix at the end of the window and had a better than expected season, that was never going to be sustainable based on our performances, which had lead to higher expectations this season which the manager must now deal with.

GloryHunter07

I hadnt seen teammates were frustrated, can you post a link?

united for life

Don't think it's fair to target Sancho given that he was suffering from mental problems such as low self esteem or mild depression earlier.
but ETH gave him his space last year. Made him take time off, train separately and tried to integrate him into the team again. If a player is lazy in training and underperforms, he should be dropped.

Tyrion

Did Sancho take Eric's public criticism of him the right way, knuckle down work hard in training and give the manager a dilemma of picking him?

No he did not, the opposite in fact so clearly it didn't motivate Sancho or give him a wake up call etc.
He didn't respond well to Ole or Ragnick either. Just because Sancho has been dropped after being sh!te for 3 years doesn't mean ETH is handling this wrong.

stevoc

He didn't respond well to Ole or Rangnick either. Just because Sancho has been dropped after being sh!te for 3 years doesn't mean ETH is handling this wrong.
He's been here for 2 years.

Doesn't mean ETH handled it the right way either to be fair.

If Sancho is such a nightmare for Eric to motivate and he isn't trying in training you'd assume that that's not a very recent development. Which then begs the question why wasn't he sold in the transfer window that just closed a few weeks ago?

Tyrion

He's been here for 2 years.

Doesn't mean ETH handled it the right way either to be fair.

If Sancho is such a nightmare for Eric to motivate and he isn't trying in training you'd assume that that's not a very recent development. Which then begs the question why wasn't he sold in the transfer window that just closed a few weeks ago?
You're right, I meant in his third season.

I'd say its because no-one would take him on those wages and ETH seemed to try the carrot last year so maybe he thought there'd be some improvement now.

Let's be fair, if he sold all our underperforming players, we'd have lost half the squad in one window. Most of the squad we had when he arrived would qualify as deadwood for a serious team