Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Back when most of the CAF was speaking (or inventing?) mental issues to justify Sancho's behavior, I ruffled a few feathers when I wrote that the situation is unsustainable as no employer is willing to pay 250k-350k a week on a long term basis for an employee that doesn't produce anything positive to the organization. Its a shame that I was proven right. TBH I was hoping that the guy would turn things around. We really can't afford throwing a 70m investment in the bin.
Given current issues I think it’s safe to assume that his mental issues last year were most likely not associated with depression as everyone had convinced themselves but rather attitude related. Not certain by any stretch of imagination but I think we’d be handling this differently now if he had indeed been suffering from deep depression a mere year ago.

Still find it curious that I was ridiculed endlessly for suggesting he should have been loaned out after 6-12 months to build back some confidence and also realize that he can’t take his position at the club for granted, and it basically turned out that this would have probably saved his career or at least given him a chance to fix a few issues.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Given current issues I think it’s safe to assume that his mental issues last year were most likely not associated with depression as everyone had convinced themselves but rather attitude related. Not certain by any stretch of imagination but I think we’d be handling this differently now if he had indeed been suffering from deep depression a mere year ago.
I have been convinced for a long time that he simply has a bad social environment in Manchester. Most reports about Sancho trouble in Dortmund happened shortly after he was in England (vacation or international duty) and the fact that he went to the Netherlands last season to me also seems like a try to get him away from that. But looks like that had no lasting effect either and he is back where he was before that trip.

This would also explain why in Dortmund it was more of a nuisance than a truly big issue.

Jev

Honestly feels a little draconian that ETH is allowed to publicly out Sancho as a poor trainer and Sancho isn't allowed to say anything in his defence and must be forced to change his opinion (or pretend to change his opinion). Surely an open conversation where both sides could air their grievances and explain their stance could be a place to start.

DickDastardly

So, Erik has made up his mind. Apologize or.

Apparently, so has Jadon. Will not.

The club has to do the same.
It's detrimental to the team morale and togetherness if this lingers on.

They are friends after all, I'd understand if Rashford or Shaw felt a bit for their friend, it's only natural to try and defend your friends.

So, loan him back to Germany?
Seems an easy way out.

DickDastardly

Honestly feels a little draconian that ETH is allowed to publicly out Sancho as a poor trainer and Sancho isn't allowed to say anything in his defence and must be forced to change his opinion (or pretend to change his opinion). Surely an open conversation where both sides could air their grievances and explain their stance could be a place to start.
You mean like a public debate?

With Pierce moderating the whole thing?

You really love the circus don't you? :lol:

Tango80

All he said was his performance weren't up to scratch that week. He was in the squad previously so we presume that it was up to scratch before then if he was getting picked.

Either way, if Sancho has issues with that then he should have argued his case directly with the manager. Doing it via a pinned Instagram post not only shows a complete lack of self awareness, but also it's like he's not aware of the laws of gross misconduct. He's lucky we didn't sack him, we probably have grounds to.

Bondi77

Why aren't we using him as an overage player in the reserves...it would be interesting to see how he performs.

Highfather_24

All he said was his performance weren't up to scratch that week.
I've hardly ever seen managers do this publicly. It was a unnecessary stunt from Ten Hag, probably one he pulled because he was feeling the pressure from the defeats, and wanted a distraction.

We really didnt need another public drama, and Sancho is a player we can do with. He did well in pre-season, and we need RWs.

Maybe this is the difference between a good and a great manager. You should be able to get the best out of top talents.

Laurencio

When he came here there was all this talk of how much of a 'baller' he is and I specifically remember a quote where he said he wants to 'violate people' with skills.

What has followed is one of the meekest, most pathetic Utd careers I've ever seen. Struts about the pitch like he's just eaten Sunday dinner, wusses out of every 50/50, doesn't really dribble past anyone, doesn't really create, downs tools at the slightest inconvenience and now is happy to lose 6 months of his career because he got called out for poor training. This is after that same manager gave him basically half the season off to get his head straight after a bereavement.

Absolute wet-wipe. Good riddance.
He's been a massive disappointment. At one point at Dortmund he looked like a dead cert future balon d'or contender. He's nowhere near that at 23, and doesn't look likely to ever get there unless something dramatically changes.

Now he's supposedly out of the squad, not training with the others and excluded from team building exercises just because he can't being himself to apologise for posting a social media post...

Slevs

likes to play with penises
On the off chance you're not trolling.

ETH has already sent him to happy camp last year to get him in shape and reset him mentally
99% they've already had this conversation

You don't go from arm around the shoulder to exile without a talk or two in between explaining what your problem is with your player xyz

GloryHunter07

Its not the case that Sancho isnt allowed to defend himself, that is nonsense. The problem is the way he went about it, essentially calling the manager a liar and claiming to be a scapegoat.
If Sancho had just said “i disagree that i havent trained well but will endeavor to understand where i can improve” there would be no problem

Last edited:

Hester_manc

ETH created this conflict. There was no need to be that harsh on Sancho public. I fully understand, why Sancho did not want people to question his desire to do his best. Stupid own goal by ETH - he could have handled this in a better way to begin with.

GreatDane

I've hardly ever seen managers do this publicly. It was a unnecessary stunt from Ten Hag, probably one he pulled because he was feeling the pressure from the defeats, and wanted a distraction.

We really didnt need another public drama, and Sancho is a player we can do with. He did well in pre-season, and we need RWs.

Maybe this is the difference between a good and a great manager. You should be able to get the best out of top talents.
No, this is on Sancho not Ten Hag. We need to stop babysitting our overpaid players and be more ruthless.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
ETH created this conflict. There was no need to be that harsh on Sancho public. I fully understand, why Sancho did not want people to question his desire to do his best. Stupid own goal by ETH - he could have handled this in a better way to begin with.
How do you know? Clearly those at the club are the only ones aware of the full facts of the situation.

DickDastardly

Are you being serious right now?! You don't watch much football?

Every single manager in the top 5 leagues has done it.

And in a way much more deliberate way then Erik's mellow comment.

Drainy

You'd like to think he would reflect on what has happened in his career and realise that its inside his control but as a young man with more money than sense I don't think he will until its too late.

He has my sympathy for what he went through after the Euros and it clearly affected Rashford and Saka after too. Criticism is normal, but abuse of the kind they got isn't acceptable.

However at some point you are responsible for sorting your shit out like Saka has. The club and the manager gave him time and he's spat in their faces. It's the managers job to demand more and keep demanding. It's Man United, expectations come with playing here.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He wasn't harsh at all. He was asked about why Sancho isn't in the squad and he simply said it is due to performance. This isn’t harsh. It's probably worse as a reason than injury but harsh would be something like being left out for discipline.

This was a pretty simple and straightforward situation and it happens all the time. However you don't realize it because usually this leads to squad fillers, youngsters and players recovering from injury being left out.

It's only big news because it usually doesn't happen to an 80m player, but if you ignore his transfer fee and wages this is simple daily business of squad management.

If someone like Pellistri, Garnacho or Amad wasn't part of the matchday squad during this or last season, did you claim this to be harsh treatment as well? It is exactly the same situation.

Except you think a player is entitled to a starting spot if he gets paid the most money.

Widow

Harsh? EtH said that others have trained better that week, hardly a damming statement, is it?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Absolutely astonishing lack of self awareness. Is he doing this because the manager said he's always late or is this just normal for him?
He's just an entitled prat who thinks he deserves what he is being paid but thinks he has been singled out and victimised.

Chumpsbechumps

Its not necessarily an either/or. We need to hold Sancho accountable sure, but this is a two way problem
I think this sort of attitude is part of the reason footballers can do whatever they want without consequences. The culture is enabling them not actually do their Job and we have gotten to they point now where even when they train badly , some people are putting the blame on the manager for just being honest about why a player isn’t in the squad.

It’s ridiculous, it’s also part of the reason United has been such a mess. This idea that players are sacred , infallible professionals who always deserve the benefit of the Doubt and support is part of the reason the club is such a mess.

ETH did absolutely nothing wrong, the problem is this apologist culture that effectively absolves players of any wrongdoing and expects managers to thread on eggshells to suit players.

Highfather_24

Are you being serious right now?! You don't watch much football?
Managers calling out player's performance in training for reason of being dropped? Yeah its not that usual. When was the last time a United manager did this? I dont even recall Mourinho pulling something like this. Managers would usually deflect it with "competition for places" etc.

sglowrider

This is the crap the manager gets after being so supportive of him last season when the fecker got 4 months off to fix whatever he was suffering from? ETH and the club had bent backwards last season so that he could sort his problems out. They kept the issue private so not as to embarrass him.

So instead of being appreciative of the paid support and understanding, he doesn't bother re-paying the support and behaves like the prat that he is?

Its unprofessional, entitled infantile behaviour.

flameinthesun

I wonder if there is an element of seeing how Ronaldo was basically allowed to terminate his contract after his ruckus and maybe Sancho is hoping for similar.

Highfather_24

It’s ridiculous, it’s also part of the reason United has been such a mess. This idea that players are sacred , infallible professionals who always deserve the benefit of the Doubt and support is part of the reason the club is such a mess

ETH did absolutely nothing wrong, the problem is this apologist culture that effectively absolves players of any wrongdoing and expects managers to thread on eggshells to suit players.
If Sancho is really that bad in training, and its such a huge issue, why didnt we sell him in the summer? Why drag his unprofessionalism into public light, create a whole public drama(the last thing the club needs), and subsequently tank his transfer price and make him unsellable? Why do this 4 games into the season?

I'm not defending Sancho. Bin Sancho off, I dont care, but the way this situation was handled was amateurish. And not for the first time.

sglowrider

If Sancho is really that bad in training, and its such a huge issue, why didnt we sell him in the summer? Why drag his unprofessionalism into public light, create a whole public drama(the last thing the club needs), and subsequently tank his transfer price and make him unsellable? Why do this 4 games into the season?

I'm not defending Sancho. Bin Sancho off, I dont care, but the way this situation was handled was amateurish. And not for the first time.

There were rumours that they tried. But with such a big wage package and especially relative to his poor output since he has been at United, are we surprised there weren't any takers?

Not sure even the Saudis will take him with such poor numbers.

I was all excited when we finally got him after 2 summer windows. But he has to be the biggest disappointment of any of our major buys in the last 30 years. Even Pogba had his moments.

Drainy

Rumours he was open to selling but getting a buyer at £350k a week is hard..

His comment about performance in training is literally mild criticism. It's Sancho being a petulant child that's the issue

mikeyt

Sancho has created this by being poor in training and having a shite attitude. Anyone putting this on ETH is having a laugh. You can guarantee ETH has had conversations with him and told him he needs to improve which clearly hasn’t worked.

To Sanchos credit not backing down is about the most resilience and fire in his belly I’ve seen from him at the club!

crossy1686

career ending

We tried to sell him in the summer but no one wanted him, he was even offered to Saudi Arabia but his team turned down the option to talk with anyone there. United want £65m for him and that's putting most people off, even with his current issues United aren't going to sell him on the cheap so he better get used to the idea of playing in the desert.

Chumpsbechumps

As others have stated , other managers have in the past said similar things. People are making an issue because we are so short on players and cause he’s a supposedly important player (or at least was meant to be).

I remember Jose trying it with Shaw and the player didn’t hide from it or whinge on social media. If you are a manager and have tried absolutely everything to get the player to buck up, what do you expect?

It’s not like ETH came in and straight away had a go at Sancho, he’s been very patient with the player. I’d also imagine he would of been happy to let the player go in the summer but that didn’t happen for whatever reason.

Considering United are crap at selling failed signings , what else could ETH do? Humour his poor training? Humour him taking months off to find himself?

If nothing else, weak minded players like Sancho might thing twice about joining United. Any professional, hard working, ambitious footballer wouldn’t have a problem with what ETH said because they wouldn’t be unprofessional so wouldn’t be in danger of it.

Telsim

There's no way back for him. Bin him and finally buy a proper RW, please.

Highfather_24

Rumours he was open to selling but getting a buyer at £350k a week is hard..

His comment about performance in training is literally mild criticism. It's Sancho being a petulant child that's the issue
I agree. But it was naive from ETH, we all know how the british media hang around like sharks for any piece of negativity around United. Every small thing is blown out of proportion, and we could do without more negative press.

And yeah, if selling him was a issue this summer, boy do we have problems now.

sglowrider

If Sancho had stretches of fantastic performances, from fighting for the badge to creating match-winning goals or assists, then I would be concerned about this kafuffle.

But feck, there ain't much to lose even if he doesnt play. He just doesn't do enough and with almost nothing in the bank in terms of credit.

In the wise words of Lauren: Am I bovvered?

DickDastardly

Managers calling out player's performance in training for reason of being dropped? Yeah its not that usual. When was the last time a United manager did this? I dont even recall Mourinho pulling something like this. Managers would usually deflect it with "competition for places" etc.
Don't recall Jose doing it? Did you live under a rock while Mourinho managed us?

The man was throwing them under the bus like orphans.

Tuchel is doing it constantly.
Klopp did it at the start of his Liverpool tenure.
Guardiola and Cancelo? That was months ago. You don't remember?

And Erik's comment was as soft as shite.
Nobody would even remember it had Jadon kept his mouth shut.

But nouuuu, Twitter about it. Feck me.