Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

IRELANDUNITED

I don't really believe that ETH has such high standards. He was playing Wout and Antony all the time last year, and both of them were useless, but ETH was still praising them.

I think ETH favors the players he brought to the club, even if they are useless, even when they are actually worse than the players we already had.
That’s bullsh*t. By standards he means the players will do what he tells them to do, obey instructions, follow tactics, implement a gameplan and most importantly give a full 100% in training and on the pitch. Having limited ability has nothing to do with standards.

Setting a high standard is something the club has been sorely lacking in the past decade, far too often have we signed players who look good on paper but when it came to the crunch were not overly bothered about playing for Manchester United.

While I agree signing Weghorst didn’t particularly work out I can understand why he did it. We had no striker, Ronaldo gave his interview which basically self destroyed his time at Old Trafford and the club were unwilling to spend money on a new striker (Glazers letting the club down again) hence getting Weghorst was about as good as we could have done in January.

Sancho has an infinite amount more ability than Weghorst but what good is it when he is unwilling to work hard? As the old saying goes hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard. Sancho has no one but himself to blame for the situation he is in.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Would watch 10/10
Lingz - "Mate, mate, mate, mate, mate, mate, mate, mate, mate, mate, mate."
Sanch - *screams loudly, camera zooms in and out*
Lingz - "This video is sponsored by Groin TrmmrZ. Use the code LingzMinge for 50% off your first six months!"
Sanch - "Mate, mate, mate, mate, mate..."

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He's 25 games deep into EA FC to give 2 fecks about apologising

Generally wouldn't be surprised if his career just ended here, like he just sits on his contract then in 3 years starts a Youtube channel with JLingz 'Lingz and Sanch'
Lingard has had a far better United career than Sancho, including an FA cup winner. I wish he could be remembered better.

DickDastardly

Lingz - "Mate, mate, mate, mate, mate, mate, mate, mate, mate, mate, mate."
Sanch - *screams loudly, camera zooms in and out*
Lingz - "This video is sponsored by Groin TrmmrZ. Use the code LingzMinge for 50% off your first six months!"
Sanch - "Mate, mate, mate, mate, mate..."
Now that's what I call quality content :drool:

Taribo's Gap

If he has a beef with Erik then that is one issue but he is a paid employee of Utd so why the feck is he not training with the Reserves and showing us what we are missing out on by playing for them every week as an overage player?
Surely he should absolutely kill it at that level or maybe he does not put in the required effort there either.
Would anyone even be remotely impressed or moved by this?

MattofManchester

At this rate, I think it's safe to assume he's got no interest in actually playing football. Or no interest in how his career develops. No passion or ambition for football anymore, perhaps?

That's not an attack on his character, just an assumption based on how this is playing out.

There was an opportunity for him when Antony was out, and likely a discussion with the manager would have got him back in the team. He has no position of power in this club, given he's done nothing to justify any kind of support in this matter, so it was up to him to rectify it.

It's crazy, but this can be the only explanation for him choosing to deliberately throw his career down the drain.

frostbite

That’s bullsh*t. By standards he means the players will do what he tells them to do, obey instructions, follow tactics, implement a gameplan and most importantly give a full 100% in training and on the pitch. Having limited ability has nothing to do with standards.
Having limited ability has everything to do with standards. This is not Stoke City.

Irwin99

Just the three more months of this before the January transfer window.

IRELANDUNITED

Having limited ability has everything to do with standards. This is not Stoke City.
You misunderstood. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t have top class abilities to play for Manchester United, of course you should. But the first and foremost standards ETH is trying to implement into this dressing room is to have the right mentality and attitude to play for this club. If you don’t have that it doesn’t matter how talented you are it won’t work out for you here. Sancho is a glaring example of that, all the ability in the world but an absolutely stinking attitude hence why he is sitting at home now when both his club and country are playing.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Pretty obvious he's waiting for the manager to get sacked.

LJJT

This situation is disgraceful and more I think of it all the others are guilty by association. Who is getting a grip of him and bringing him in to line?

RedRoach

Oh I remember it, a good few months so it was. still not enough to make me think here you go fella have a new 5 year deal. People talk about standards, he's well below what's required.
We need a squad and Dalot is decent squad material but shouldn’t be a starter.

Look at the current injury crisis to see why it made sense to renew.

frostbite

You misunderstood. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t have top class abilities to play for Manchester United, of course you should. But the first and foremost standards ETH is trying to implement into this dressing room is to have the right mentality and attitude to play for this club. If you don’t have that it doesn’t matter how talented you are it won’t work out for you here. Sancho is a glaring example of that, all the ability in the world but an absolutely stinking attitude hence why he is sitting at home now when both his club and country are playing.
I have no idea what is happening inside the club, and you don't have any idea, either. But I could see that Wout is useless and I am sure you could see it too, and statistics said it as well. I don't care if Wout runs all day long and tries his best, this is not an Elementary School where we give awards for "trying". If you talk about "standards" you simply have to drop Wout, because he is not Man Utd level player. If you are using Wout game after game, and he also happens to be Dutch, and came to this club after your recommendation, then sorry, I am not buying the "standards" speech. If you are the manager and want to tell others that you are tough, you first have to be tough with the (useless) players you brought.

ArmaDino

Not necessarily disagree, but just for argument sake:

Mikhitaryan since he left Man Utd at 2018:

- Won Europa conference league 21-22
- Won Coppa Italia 22-23
- Won Supercoppa Italia 22
- CL runners up 22-23

Man Utd since 2018:

- Won League Cup 22-23
What I meant to say is that they never recaptured the same form they had at Dortmund. Lewandowski and KDB aside, not that many attacking players make a good transition when moving to more competitive leagues.

AshRK

It's a shame. The guys is a lazy so and so, but he is one of the only players that can play in tight spaces.
Against the low block today, we resort to just putting in cross after cross.
Well based on his performance in last 2 plus years for us the guy looks bad in every space.

It is a shame because dortmund's sancho looked a top talent.

mu4c_20le

Well based on his performance in last 2 plus years for us the guy looks bad in every space.

It is a shame because dortmund's sancho looked a top talent.
He joined during ole's final season along with Ronaldo and never really had a chance to settle. Maybe he isn't built for the prem but it's odd that ten hag is allowed to write off an entire season because he inherited a mess yet he is expected to hit the ground running and live up to his price tag immediately.

AshRK

He joined during ole's final season along with Ronaldo and never really had a chance to settle. Maybe he isn't built for the prem but it's odd that ten hag is allowed to write off an entire season because he inherited a mess yet he is expected to hit the ground running and live up to his price tag immediately.
Well for starters to come to training on time would be good. No one is expecting him to be a worldbeater but he has been shocking and looks like a lost child whenever he touched the ball for us and add to that his off field antics , doesn't help.

Also, eth is not being allowed to write off anything. He took over a mess and took them to the 3rd position with 75 points with a trophy as well. He has had a shockingly poor start this season and is hardly getting an easy ride for that.

reelworld

I have no idea what is happening inside the club, and you don't have any idea, either. But I could see that Wout is useless and I am sure you could see it too, and statistics said it as well. I don't care if Wout runs all day long and tries his best, this is not an Elementary School where we give awards for "trying". If you talk about "standards" you simply have to drop Wout, because he is not Man Utd level player. If you are using Wout game after game, and he also happens to be Dutch, and came to this club after your recommendation, then sorry, I am not buying the "standards" speech. If you are the manager and want to tell others that you are tough, you first have to be tough with the (useless) players you brought.
You're conflating the standard of attitude with the standard of quality. Ideally a United player have both, but in case you can't have both, then I'd choose the first one. That's what ten Hag did with Wout

Yakuza_devils

I don't understand why it's so difficult for Sancho to apologise? To me, it's a non issue to begin with. A manager has all the rights to state that a player didn't train well in training. If you disagree and react in silly manner, just apologise and move on. Work harder on training to win back your place in the team.

No player should be bigger than the manager. Period.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What I meant to say is that they never recaptured the same form they had at Dortmund. Lewandowski and KDB aside, not that many attacking players make a good transition when moving to more competitive leagues.
In general I get what you are saying, but Mkhitaryan in particular wasn't too bad after he left United. Apart from enjoying better trophies success since he left United, as compared to his time in Dortmund or United, individual wise, during season 20/21 he also scored 15 goals 11 assist for Roma, that was very close to his best form at Dortmund.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't understand why it's so difficult for Sancho to apologise? To me, it's a non issue to begin with. A manager has all the rights to state that a player didn't train well in training. If you disagree and react in silly manner, just apologise and move on. Work harder on training to win back your place in the team.

Its likely there is a bit more to this than is in the public domain

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

I think he simply wants to be the main man again. Remember he used to be the hottest young prospect in Europe alongside with Mbappe and Haaaland. Maybe watching them becoming world star while looking at himself sitting on the bench struggling at United all the time under ETH, makes him feel pointless and he simply has made up his mind to leave.

RuudtheRed

I'm disgusted by Sancho's actions. Back the manager 100%. If Sancho wants to piss his career down the drain, that's on him. I can count on one hand the amount of "good" games Sancho has had for United. 2.5 years of sub-par performances and he can't admit when he has been pants in training, and acts like a spoiled brat. He doesn't deserve to play for the club.

Abominable pride and makes me respect AWB and Maguire so much more given how professional they have been.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Haaland, Son, Firminho and Sane says hi.

Generally as long as they’re not bought by us or Chelsea, most of them are capable of making the step up.

GoldanoGraham

No hunger. No desire. Wants it all handed on a plate. Too much too soon.

A lot of parallels here with Dele Alli

led_scholes

I think he simply wants to be the main man again. Remember he used to be the hottest young prospect in Europe alongside with Mbappe and Haaaland. Maybe watching them becoming world star while looking at himself sitting on the bench struggling at United all the time under ETH, makes him feel pointless and he simply has made up his mind to leave.
He can start by being fit and be able to last 90 minutes. He is levels below Saka. Let alone Haaland and Mbappe.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Both of them should be trying to build bridges. Neither comes out of it well!

ETH and Sancho are being stubborn/principled but Sancho is out the team and pretty much on gardening leave.... not a good look at all. Can't believe there's still no developments, what a shambles :houllier:

Don't wanna hear no "back the management" talk, as nobody really knows what's driving this, but at this point they are both being stupid, selfish, short sighted, etc...........

DickDastardly

Both of them should be trying to build bridges. Neither comes out of it well!

ETH and Sancho are being stubborn/principled but Sancho is out the team and pretty much on gardening leave.... not a good look at all. Can't believe there's still no developments, what a shambles :houllier:

Don't wanna hear no "back the management" talk, as nobody really knows what's driving this, but at this point they are both being stupid, selfish, short sighted, etc...........
Neither come out of it well, and nobody really knows what's going on don't go together do they?

To be fair, we do have some info on all this.

Starts with Erik saying Sancho didn't train well.
Followed up by a juvenile post on social media from Jadon.

Don't really see the angle Jadon is playing here.
Unless it's a way out of Manchester.

Then again, he could have just said "I want out", without all this drama.
Not painting a good picture about himself to any new employers potentially wanting him.

Ceteris

Please let's make sure any move in January is a full sale or with an obligation to buy at an already agreed fee.

Let's not drag it, the only problem will be how much we can recoup back from the transfer fee.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Neither come out of it well, and nobody really knows what's going on don't go together do they?

To be fair, we do have some info on all this.

Starts with Erik saying Sancho didn't train well.
Followed up by a juvenile post on social media from Jadon.

Don't really see the angle Jadon is playing here.
Unless it's a way out of Manchester.

Then again, he could have just said "I want out", without all this drama.
Not painting a good picture about himself to any new employers potentially wanting him.
Aside from your pedantry, agreed...

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I take it Sancho is still getting paid? Don’t get how someone can be paid for not doing their job. If it was a normal job that we all do and we got suspended i highly doubt we still get paid.

IRELANDUNITED

Again, you’ve misunderstood.

I am in no way saying Weghorst was a Manchester United standard player, absolutely not. But there were reasons beyond anyone’s control as to why he ended up being a Manchester United player. Reasons I have already outlined. If there was this brainless bias from Ten Hag towards Dutch players or players he has managed before then why was Weghorst not signed permanently in the summer?

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
At this rate, I think it's safe to assume he's got no interest in actually playing football. Or no interest in how his career develops. No passion or ambition for football anymore, perhaps?

That's not an attack on his character, just an assumption based on how this is playing out.

There was an opportunity for him when Antony was out, and likely a discussion with the manager would have got him back in the team. He has no position of power in this club, given he's done nothing to justify any kind of support in this matter, so it was up to him to rectify it.

It's crazy, but this can be the only explanation for him choosing to deliberately throw his career down the drain.
Career down the drain?

As a bloke earning a living, in career terms he’s achieved more than you or I ever did or ever will. He’s rich enough to have retired years ago.
In the next 9 weeks, sat playing online games until the early hours and having lots of banter with his loyal entourage, he’ll earn another £3 million, maybe buy himself a helicopter or a mansion in the country or whatever.
In career terms he’s absolutely nailed it - I had to work long hard hours until I could retire in my late 50’s - I wish my career had been on his trajectory.

I think the issue is that he’s done marvellously for himself - if he never kicked a ball again it won’t matter to him, there’s no reason he should ever go hungry. But him not working hard to do what he’s paid to do means that he’s short changed the people who ultimately pay his wages . . and that’s you the supporter.
He’s had his grubby little hand in your pocket (and mine I suppose) and he’s living it large while not giving a shit.
He’s not arsed about repaying his debt to society and that’s why there’s a general angst about how the thieving shit’s behaving.