Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

AR87

I actually think he wanted to go because Ole marginalized him and told him he wasn't cruicial to his future plans. This idea that Lukaku chose to go and wasn't forced out doesn't ring true with how he was being played under Ole.
You mean because Ole wasn't just going to gift him the starting ST role no matter what? He restored him to that position when he found form. Lukaku is on record saying he went to Ole because he just wanted to move.

Acquire Me

There’s no reason to come here except for monetary gain.

Ambitious young players have many more options nowadays. If they want to play in England then City, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea would be ahead of us for the majority of foreign players... heck, even Arsenal may be preferable due to them being a big London club.

There’s literally nothing attractive about Manchester United except for big wages.
We are Manchester United. The most famous club in the world.

Nah, no point discussing this with you. Just feck off.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Ambitious young players have many more options nowadays. If they want to play in England then City, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea would be ahead of us for the majority of foreign players... heck, even Arsenal may be preferable due to them being a big London club.

There’s literally nothing attractive about Manchester United except for big wages.
You should probably support another club tbh.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
:rolleyes: Yeah, as if he’s going to pick an average team playing on a Thursday night over top teams fighting it out for the Champions League... and we won’t get into that competition for at least another 5-6 years.

The club is in the pits at the moment, have you seen the state of the stadium up close? It’s an absolute disgrace for the “biggest club in the world”. They’ve added a lick of paint in the tunnel so it doesn’t look so bad on Tunnel Cam for YouTube, but that’s about it!

Delusional bunch.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
We beat Spurs and City and you all think we’re the United of old all of a sudden.

Take them blinkers off. Wake up and smell the coffee!

DamoK

I don't understand what Martial has done to become irreplaceable. Martial has averaged a goal every 215 minutes of PL competition and a goal every 424 minutes of CL competition at United. Haaland has averaged a goal every 47 minutes of CL competition for Salzberg. Just because Martial is the best we have right now shouldn't make him irreplaceable.

Haaland would be cup tied at Dortmund, Leipzig, or Juve, so less playing opportunities at those clubs. He's good enough to challenge Martial for the starting #9 spot. His combination of physical abilities and technical skills give us something we don't currently have against teams that sit deep. Just put a little more money in his and his agent's pocket than the other 3 suitors are offering and he's ours. Why not?
I think the cup tied rule is gone so he'd be able to play in the champions league for those clubs. Players can now represent two clubs in the champions league or Europa but only one player per club

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We beat Spurs and City and you all think we’re the United of old all of a sudden.

Take them blinkers off. Wake up and smell the coffee!
Jeez, give it a rest.
Post something interesting instead of recycling the usual negative rubbish that has been seen here for years

Irwin99

Have been pretty optimistic this would happen in January as he’s been the main link over the past few months. Maybe we won’t get anyone in January.

Josep Dowling

Given the age of Haaland and Martial who is the guaranteed starter? One of those players isn’t going to be happy sitting on the bench.

I can’t see it happening to be honest. If anything we need an experienced striker.

I expect him to go Leipzig once Werner goes.

PoTMS

Knocked a few million quid off his pricetag in the last hour.

stepic

Thread title isn’t really representative of the current situation eh? I got a little excited at first.

ROFLUTION

eww, his agent is Raiola :mad: a bit tough to think of him long-term then.

Raiola classic to keep moving his players to fatten his own pockets

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I know but we cannot do that that easily. Right now, our debt went up. It's not that straight forward financially for us.
With all due respect my good man, this has no bearing on our transfer budget. The club handles its debt just fine. Our current EBITA leaves us room to spend around £150 million annually on transfers. The club also has a enormous cash reserve of over £300 million pounds.

We have absolutely 0 issues with handling the debt.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
There is absolutely no way Haaland is coming to us. He probably doesn’t even like us. His father is in record as saying he hated us and one of our legends ended his career. Given the other uncertainties around our immediate future and our ability to even play him in our starting XI, it’s just not going to happen.
His father is on record literally a few weeks ago saying he would be happy to see his son play for Manchester United. This is simply not a factor.

Playing time is the only factor that dictates his next move.

RUCK4444

Never seen this kid play, would people be happy for him to come in and potentially stunt the growth of Greenwood?

Either way we need strength in depth.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
:rolleyes: Yeah, as if he’s going to pick an average team playing on a Thursday night over top teams fighting it out for the Champions League... and we won’t get into that competition for at least another 5-6 years.

The club is in the pits at the moment, have you seen the state of the stadium up close? It’s an absolute disgrace for the “biggest club in the world”. They’ve added a lick of paint in the tunnel so it doesn’t look so bad on Tunnel Cam for YouTube, but that’s about it!

Delusional bunch.
I don't understand, why would you knowingly lie in your post? What do you get from it?

lysglimt

Scout
The only other players I can think of that went on to have success are Hummels and Gundogan, possibly Gotze to some extent. Apart from that I agree with you, Diallo, Dahoud, Weigl, Mor, Isak have all moved on or stagnated in their careers for one reason or another. Sancho was always going to be a star, they just needed to give him game time and stick with him when he had dips in form.
Well Aubameyang deserves a mention

r0663664

Worships Man City
Just make a bid, I don't see Martial as No.9 so there is no harm. I think there are enough places to add another forward and everyone get a chance to pay including Greenwood.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Yeah him also but I'm not sure how young/old he was when joining Arsenal?
Exactly as good as he is he hasn't exactly gone on to have a career at a top club as of yet or win some really good trophies.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We only have 2 CFs : Martial and Greenwood (the latter still being eased into the first team by Ole) and can easily play 50 matches per season (74 max). If He's to come here his main competitor will be Martial. Let's say We play 60 matches and 10 of those are the games where Greenwood play 90 mins.

50 matches left. And then let's assume both him and Martial starts 50:50, that's still 25 matches at the very least for both of them. How is that not getting enough game time? not counting subs, the time where They play together, needing to rest, injuries.

We're short of CFs, that's why He needs to come here and that's why the transfer would makes sense. "Won't be getting enough of game time" isn't a valid argument. If We sign him We'll rely on him. He won't be a bench warmer. In fact, the impact He could have here is huge compared to another team, if He performs He'll elevate the team. Not all young football players have the chance to do that.

Last edited:

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
We only have 2 CFs : Martial and Greenwood (the latter still being eased into the first team by Ole) and can easily play 50 matches per season (74 max). If He's to come here his main competitor will be Martial. Let's say We play 60 matches and 10 of those are the games where Greenwood play 90 mins.

50 matches left. And then let's assume both him and Martial starts 50:50, that's still 25 matches at the very least for both of them. How is that not getting enough game time? not counting subs, the time where They play together, needing to rest, injuries.

We're short of CFs, that's why He needs to come here and that's why the transfer would makes sense. "Won't be getting enough of game time" isn't a valid argument. If We sign him We'll rely on him. He won't be a bench warmer. In fact, the impact He could have here is huge compared to another team, if He performs He'll take elevate the team. Not all young football players have the chance to do that.
Having 4 top tier forwards was a common thing for us under Fergie too.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Not really.

Ole and sheringham was a very good subs but they know what they're getting.

Sheringham was quite aged when he joined us, ole was a red all the way. Plus we play with 2 strikers back then 4 total only means 1 cover for each. We played alot more games as well, and saf was the master none of them dare to stir up shits.

I cant see us having 3 players for 1 position ending up nicely.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Indeed. We had CFs We could rely on and enough backups for them.

Not really.

Sheringham was quite aged when he joined us, ole was a red all the way. Plus we play with 2 strikers back then 4 total only means 1 cover for each. We played alot more games as well, and saf was the master none of them dare to stir up shits.

Ole was a better CF than what We have right now and yet He was the third choice. That's the difference between a team competing for the league and a team competing for top 4. We don't exactly have 2 players though, more like one and a half seeing how Rashford plays better as a wide forward and Greenwood is not even a first teamer yet. So We'll have 2 and a half if Haaland joined, pretty normal for a team playing in 4 competitions if you ask me.

If any of them dare to stir up shits and They don't perform, let them leave. Call it the survival of the fittest, to ensure We get the best out of the bunch than to moan every time Martial gets injured. It's a different thing if Martial is having the best season of his life, We could settle signing a bench warmer only. But as it is sometimes He plays good, in the other He's non existent. More competition is needed.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Indeed. We had CFs We could rely on and enough backups for them.

Ole was a better CF than what We have right now and yet He was the third choice. That's the difference between a team competing for the league and a team competing for top 4. We don't exactly have 2 players though, more like one and a half seeing how Rashford plays better as a wide forward and Greenwood is not even a first teamer yet. So We'll have 2 and a half if Haaland joined, pretty normal for a team playing in 4 competitions if you ask me.

If any of them dare to stir up shits and They don't perform, let them leave. Call it the survival of the fittest, to ensure We get the best out of the bunch than to moan every time Martial gets injured. It's a different thing if Martial is having the best season of his life, We could settle signing a bench warmer only. But as it is sometimes He plays good, in the other He's non existent. More competition is needed.
Easier said than done. Martial ousted jose. I dont expect any sort of old school buckle down and take your chance with today's boys.

Remember when we signed sanchez? And dropped martial? Granted sanchez didnt help himself can you imagine that happens again and some martial ended up again in the bench. The disruption it causes to the dressing rooms etc.

I'm not saying it's bound to happen, but it's not guarenteed they'll play along nicely like ole to our cole

Last edited:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

There's plenty of reasons for him to come to Utd, yes money is one. But what about guaranteed game time, something he wouldn't get elsewhere and the chance to link up with Ole again, don't underestimate the pull of a big team playing young players under a manager he already knows. I think you have a decent chance in this transfer, the only possible sticking point is the agent.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Easier said than done. Martial ousted jose. I dont expect any sort of old school buckle down and take your chance with today's boys.

Remember when we signed sanchez? And dropped martial? Granted sanchez didnt help himself can you imagine that happens again and some martial ended up again in the bench. The disruption it causes to the dressing rooms etc.

I'm not saying it's bound to happen, but it's not guarenteed they'll play along nicely like ole to our cole
He's been here since the age of dinosaurs (LvG) and Ole isn't Jose, He can't force a club legend to leave unless if Ole loses 8 games in a row :rolleyes:

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Not really.

They were top tier to me dammit :(

Laphroaig

Dan James would have a few more assists with Haaland up front
Absolutely. Haaland is easily the kind of player we're missing, we have no natural poacher at the moment. The question is: do we want to bring in another talent, or should we rather bring in an experienced one to buy Martial/Rashford/James/Greenwood some time? Well, I know what I'd prefer. The four mentioned with Haaland would be such a ridiculously exciting attacking squad.

(Oh, and a disclaimer since this forum is full of morons not realizing that English football is actually huge in Norway, and pretending that some of us are jumping on a hype without having watched the kid: I, and a pretty huge bunch on the Caf, have followed him closely since early 2017 - at the very least.)

ben.heff10

Delusional bunch.
Things are bad but to say United won't get into the Champions League for another 5-6 years?!? We're currently 5 points outside the top 4. We're not Brighton.

Status
Not open for further replies.