Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I still want the guy here but its funny how quickly people shoot of Martials & Rashford's head and protect players like Haaland after a poor performance.

yamo123x

Ive tuned in to 5 salzburg games, he scored one nice goal, a few tap ins but he isnt a guaranteed starter for them, he has been on the bench several times. I cannot say i have been wowed by him, i just think he looks very raw and needs work

Suedesi

You are aware that Haaland has scored 8 goals in 299 CL minutes, Martial has scored 4 in 2000+ minutes.
Haaland has provided a goal or assist every 38 minutes this season, Martial every 100 minutes this season (which is his best ever)

We need a real striker and Haaland is the real deal! Martial is a good, but Haaland is better and has even more potential. Faster, stronger, better finisher, better movement, more energy, able to smile (imagine that) and offers something totally different. Not signing him if we had the chance, would go down in the history as one of the biggest misstakes in football.
You lose all credibility with statements like that. At present there's no comparison, and as for potential, well who the feck knows.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Unwise and unnecessary from a 19 year old in his first CL campaign to be so bullish before a crucial CL game against the defending champions. Explains his nervous underwhelming performance. He tried to Zlatan and failed.

I should have watched more of him in the earlier group stage games, unfortunately I've no idea if he's as good as his numbers suggest based off this game. He needs more maturity, however, and I hope he learns from this loss.

United Hobbit

No, he's one of the fastest footballers around, he's just so big and has long strides.
Supposedly he's absolutely rapid, might not have had a chance to go full pelt yet.
He's been measured at 36.3 km/h this season. Which is exactly as fast as Rashford's top pace measured this season. He's deceptively fast. I saw him rub his groin a while ago, hopefully he' not aggravated something.
Ok that's interesting to know he did get running after I posted like people say his stride may be deceptive as hes covering more ground than he looks

I thought he looked like he was carrying an injury he didn't look to be moving all that well at times

Hopefully our scouts dont only judge him on that game, the commentators to the Liverpool game were saying how he was even celebrating goals he was scoring in the warm up.

How do you think he would fit into our system if we got him? Little bit more chance now of someone getting him in January now they are out the CL wonder if he would have wanted to stay until the summer/ only join another CL club if they got through?

He looks to have a very big frame looks far more filled put than a lot of players his age

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Minamino, Hwang, Mwepu all looked better and this RB system looks like it will produce chances against any side in the world, so complaints about him playing for some poor side are not so justifiable. The age argument is, though.
It's at the back where they are leaking, but you can see (while they had energy) they were threatening all the time even against this Liverpool side. Hard and pretty much impossible to guess how he will handle transition to different style of play and will it be too soon for him.
Hwang and Minamino are players that would open up a deep defensive line. We should target someone like Hwang in particular because he's a player that could operate across the forward line and is a very good player in confined spaces and has the passing, vision and execution to be a major upgrade for us in that regard. I see Hwang having a similar impact to his fellow country-man Son at Spurs and at 23 years old would represent great business for now and the longterm.

dogwithabone

Only saw the first half and it’s the first time I’ve seen him play but I thought he looked very good. He’s lean, quick off the mark and has really good movement. Had one good chance where he did all he could really by getting in a well struck shot, low and hard, that the keeper saved.

When I see the mobility and movement Haaland has I couldn’t help but think of Lukaku and how utterly useless he was for us in this respect. Haaland is raw but if the price is right he’s undoubtedly worth the gamble.

On a side note, really impressed with Salzburg in that first half. Their football was fantastic to watch, very Ajax like. Although Salzburg were the better side (in first half) it always had the look of a game that would see Liverpool make them pay for their wastefulness in possession.

Baggern

This season Haaland has 28 goals in all comps. Martial also has 28 goals in all comps, the last 3 seasons combined. (not counting the league cup, so there is equal amount of competitions)

Why people slating this guy for scoring tap-ins? A good striker should be finding positions for scoring those tap-ins imo. Which United havent done too much lately

Last edited:

SplitzMagic

Hwang and Minamino are players that would open up a deep defensive line. We should target someone like Hwang in particular because he's a player that could operate across the forward line and is a very good player in confined spaces and has the passing, vision and execution to be a major upgrade for us in that regard. I see Hwang having a similar impact to his fellow country-man Son at Spurs and at 23 years old would represent great business for now and the longterm.
This! - you sure know what you're talking about.

Out of all the games I've watched, Hwang looks like the best player! He's just like Son and causes so many problems for the defenders.

Handré1990

You lose all credibility with statements like that. At present there's no comparison, and as for potential, well who the feck knows.
Yeah, like the R9 comparison, way over the top. He’s a better goalscorer than Martial imo, alround Martial is a much better footballer at this time.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This! - you sure know what you're talking about.

Out of all the games I've watched, Hwang looks like the best player! He's just like Son and causes so many problems for the defenders.
He would be a fantastic pick up for us in January if we could agree a deal with Salzburg. Would improve our attack/midfield and creativity issues which would imo give us the control that we're lacking especially against teams who defend deep in numbers. I like Haaland but we need a player of Hwang's profile alot more in our current situation and Hwang would possibly be available for a reasonable fee.

Handré1990

He would be a fantastic pick up for us in January if we could agree a deal with Salzburg. Would improve our attack/midfield and creativity issues which would imo give us the control that we're lacking especially against teams who defend deep in numbers. I like Haaland but we need a player of Hwang's profile alot more in our current situation and Hwang would possibly be available for a reasonable fee.
Agree with this. He’a looked deadly in all their CL games. The sort of player I’d hate for us to face. Pace, technique, passing,vision and pressing, and a goal threat in his own right. Him instead of our options in the AM position would’ve had a huge impact this season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agree with this. He’a looked deadly in all their CL games. The sort of player I’d hate for us to face. Pace, technique, passing,vision and pressing, and a goal threat in his own right. Him instead of our options in the AM position would’ve had a huge impact this season.
Can you imagine if we had Hwang instead of Pereira this season. With Hwang I believe we would be in the top 4 right now comfortably. We should sign both Haaland and Hwang in january if possible and that partnership has a nice ring to it too.

Handré1990

Can you imagine if we had Hwang instead of Pereira this season. With Hwang I believe we would be in the top 4 right now comfortably. We should sign both Haaland and Hwang in january if possible and that partnership has a nice ring to it too.
That would solve a lot of our problems for sure. Combined with the players already at our disposal we’d have many more options for how to approach games.

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
Only on the Caf mate
Yea, learned during the Mkhitaryan speculation that 98% of the people discussing the player in question have either never seen him play or watched him once and given their summation of him off that. Insane really.

mav_9me

I dont know much about either of them but the duo would be much cheaper than going for Maddison or Sancho. Might make more sense although Sancho is my dream player for us.

Bwuk

I thought he done ok, he makes the right runs constantly.

He’d get himself on the end of the crosses Dan James puts in constantly.

Depending on the fee I’m all for it. If the rumoured 20m is true no brainier.

manc4red

buy him. Skills will improve. Lad has that hunger and desire that is lacking from some of our players in the squad

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I dont know much about either of them but the duo would be much cheaper than going for Maddison or Sancho. Might make more sense although Sancho is my dream player for us.
Maddison is a good player but isn't as good as the transfer fee Leicester will want IMO. There's player around Europe just as good if not better who would cost significantly less. Sancho is a exceptional talent who I'd make a exception for.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Are we talking about the Hwang who is 23 years old and scored two goals at Hamburg last season? Must have made quite the leap in development over the summer.

Gasolin

Says me. We knocked you out the last time and we'll undoubtedly do it again

If we are so gash, why haven't you beaten us in last couple of seasons? Celebrating draws at OT says it all
We were unfortunate to not win and it still bothers me we had a brain fart against a team that could not score against us. So that says it all I suppose. We are eager to take our revenge, yes.

Gasolin

Are we talking about the Hwang who is 23 years old and scored two goals at Hamburg last season? Must have made quite the leap in development over the summer.
Yes but Hwang is a striker or at least a winger for me, not a 10.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yes the same player. He was on loan at Hamburg and made around 20 appearances in total but I never knew much about him at the time. But i've watched him at RB Salzburg mostly in the Champions League and he has been very impressive.

troylocker

Hehe! Like I’ve said before, I’ve seen a lot of him the last couple of years. One match against the reigning champions is not changing my view on him. The funny thing though is that one match seems enough for many here....

Suedesi

Hehe! Like I’ve said before, I’ve seen a lot of him the last couple of years. One match against the reigning champions is not changing my view on him. The funny thing though is that one match seems enough for many here....
Where have you seen him, at Molde for the last couple of years?

Fosu-Mens

Yes the same player. He was on loan at Hamburg and made around 20 appearances in total but I never knew much about him at the time. But i've watched him at RB Salzburg mostly in the Champions League and he has been very impressive.
Their most influential and competent attacking player by some distance, which was easy to see after their first game against KRC Genk in the ECL.
Can suit any system, either possession, counter, high press, low block etc.
If we go for Haaland instead of Hwang, then we would have another example of how incompetent the people watching players are.
Hwang even makes sense commercially with increased interest from South Korea and potential sponsors and fans.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Their most influential and competent attacking player by some distance, which was easy to see after their first game against KRC Genk in the ECL.
Can suit any system, either possession, counter, high press, low block etc.
If we go for Haaland instead of Hwang, then we would have another example of how incompetent the people watching players are.
Hwang even makes sense commercially with increased interest from South Korea and potential sponsors and fans.
I agree. He's the player we need above all others from that team in January.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
On one hand, it's one game. On the other, it'd be no surprise if he wasn't as good as the hype on here has led people to believe, at least not yet. It'd only be the millionth time that's happened.

For me, the question is - is he what we need to improve us now? Because it's all well and good improving us in 5 years like we often seem to aim for, but it'd be real nice for us to do good in the meantime too and spend some money on that.
If not but the release clause is true, get him in and treat him like a youngster, not the saviour.

I won't be judging him off that game either way.

Last edited:

troylocker

Where have you seen him, at Molde for the last couple of years?
Both for Molde and RBS, all his games in Austria are streamed live through Norways biggest online newspaper, vg. Tippeligaen is also well covered. I didn’t know much about him before he exploded into the football scene with 4 goals against the league leader, Brann, in the first 21 minutes of the game when he was still 17. I’ve followed him closely ever since. Sometimes you just feel that you’re watching a really special talent, and I’ve got that feeling with this guy, just like I did when I watched R9 in PSV and R7 in the U17 Euro in 2002 to name a couple of examples. Not the same skillset, but equally unique and destined to do great things on the footballfield. Do I still think he is a better #9 than Martial? Yes I do!
To write off a 19 year old after watching one game is just silly.

DeeDee7

All of Hwang, Haaland and Minamino offer different qualities that would suit us. To say one is better then the other or would be a better signing is plain ignorance, we could use all 3!
Haaland still impressed me in that game. He is a battering ram, and suits that Salzburg set up as he opens alot of space for those buzzing creative players on quick breaks. He almost always kept the ball alive and moving with link up and one 2's which he did with speed and without slowing the attack down (something Lukaku never offered). He still fashioned dangerous chances for himself and was a menace. All this appeals to me, it suits the english game and brings another facet to tactics. Whether the price is right or not is another argument.

Hwang like someone said is very much in that Son mould. He also makes alot of sense for us but not as an alternative for Haaland. I am Australian and have seen him also in the Korea matches. Like most in the asian confederation his finishing can be frustrating/lacking that cutting edge, alot of good work but not always the important end product and this is why i would struggle to see him as a lone striker in our system. However he is an enticing prospect as a Sancho alternative at 1/8th the price. He is exactly the type of Fergie signing we would always see in amongst the squad that rarely seemed to let you down.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
On one hand, it's one game. On the other, it'd be no surprise if he wasn't as good as the hype on here has led people to believe, at least not yet. It'd only be the millionth time that's happened.

For me, the question is - is he what we need to improve us now? Because it's all well and good improving us in 5 years like we often seem to aim for, but it'd be real nice for us to do good in the meantime too and spend some money on that.
If not but the release clause is true, get him in and treat him like a youngster, not the saviour.

I won't be judging him off that game either way.
Newspapers hint at a very good offer from Utd for Zapata in case Atalanta crashes out this evening, which is interesting but probably destined to fall flat because Percassi and Gasperini want to try and qualify again for 2020-1 CL.

Suedesi

Newspapers hint at a very good offer from Utd for Zapata in case Atalanta crashes out this evening, which is interesting but probably destined to fall flat because Percassi and Gasperini want to try and qualify again for 2020-1 CL.
I like Duvan Zapata, he's a handful. Does that mean the end of Ronaldo at Juve?

criticalanalysis

I wouldn't want to stop the opportunities for someone like Greenwood and Martial but we could do with a 6 yard box striker.

I didn't watch the game but even going by the judgements here, if he's a Lukaku with a better touch and intelligence I'm up for that.

Pogba, James and Rashford would have a field day supplying to someone, who actually spends time in the penalty box.

I'd love for Martial to work long term but sometimes you just need a poacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.