Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

I think that was the last realistic chance we had of signing him, yes. Unfortunately we were shite at the time and Ole's job was on the line, which probably made his choice easy. Now that he's proven himself to be world class, his fathers background at Leeds/City will weigh far more than his connection to Ole as basically every top club will try to sign him. He' doesn't need Ole's "help" to reach the top. Hope I'm wrong, of course.
He was a phenom before the Dortmund move, everybody would have wanted him?
Its the same weird logic as with Sanchos move that theyre this great secret that we only have a free run on before others join the chase.
Its just not true imo.

Dinghy

He was a phenom before the Dortmund move, everybody would have wanted him?
Its the same weird logic as with Sanchos move that theyre this great secret that we only have a free run on before others join the chase.
Its just not true imo.
Where there any reports that any other than us and Dortmund were in for him at that time? Can't say I agree that he was a "phenom" while at Salzburg. He had a nice spell in the CL in a team that was scoring goals for fun, and only had experience from the Austrian and Norwegian league. It was far from certain that he'd become the player he's now at that time.

Last edited:

Stevieboy

If we’d got him he’d be the next Ruud Van Nistlerooy I reckon.
But I doubt he’ll join us, shame.

Last edited:

troylocker

There's no chance he'll be coming here. We had our chance when he left Molde and Salzburg, but now, the Ole-connection is not that relevant anymore when he can choose between all the best clubs in the world. His dad having a Leeds/City-background is why this transfer will never happen.
This is just wrong. The way the Haalands have nurtured his career up till now, it would have been premature for him to go here before now. I was very dissapointed we didn't get him last winter, but he wanted to make one more step and develop further before making the big/final step. We could not guarantee him a #1 striker spot or a "low" release clause and there was a lot more uncertainty around the club and manager 13 months ago. That they chose half the wages, a shorter path to being #1 choice, CL-football and a release clause makes perfect sence. In 2018 we had 0% chance of signing him from Molde as he, unlike many other big talents, wanted 1st team football and development over money and a big club signing (they turned down Juve and 3 x wages for Salzburg).

The situation is totally different now, the Ole-connection is still very much relevant and Manchester United is still one of the strongest brands in world football. We are and will be even more relevant in World football in the years to come and signing him would pretty much cement our path back to the top. English football has a special place in Norwegians hearts and Manchester United and LFC are by far the biggest clubs based on their fanbases there: LFC and Man UTD supporter clubs have around 45k paying members each, and are the biggest supporter clubs in Norway by miles (10 x more than number 3), while City has around 2,5k members.
Playing for us or LFC is the ultimate dream for most young footballers in Norway and our position there is top of the foodchain even though we have been a "sleeping giant" for almost a decade now. Being key to bringing us back to days of glory would put him in capital letters in football history.
We would be the perfect next/final step for him and he is ready to dominate the PL now. If we grab the #1 position in English football he will stay a long, long time.

Holocene

There's no chance he'll be coming here. We had our chance when he left Molde and Salzburg, but now, the Ole-connection is not that relevant anymore when he can choose between all the best clubs in the world. His dad having a Leeds/City-background is why this transfer will never happen.
This won't stop him from joining us. I doubt he cares about it. For what it's worth, I don't think he would join unless we can get back to the top.

Dinghy

This is just wrong. The way the Haalands have nurtured his career up till now, it would have been premature for him to go here before now. I was very dissapointed we didn't get him last winter, but he wanted to make one more step and develop further before making the big/final step. We could not guarantee him a #1 striker spot or a "low" release clause and there was a lot more uncertainty around the club and manager 13 months ago. That they chose half the wages, a shorter path to being #1 choice, CL-football and a release clause makes perfect sence. In 2018 we had 0% chance of signing him from Molde as he, unlike many other big talents, wanted 1st team football and development over money and a big club signing (they turned down Juve and 3 x wages for Salzburg).

The situation is totally different now, the Ole-connection is still very much relevant and Manchester United is still one of the strongest brands in world football. We are and will be even more relevant in World football in the years to come and signing him would pretty much cement our path back to the top. English football has a special place in Norwegians hearts and Manchester United and LFC are by far the biggest clubs based on their fanbases there [/b]: LFC and Man UTD supporter clubs have around 45k paying members each, and are the biggest supporter clubs in Norway by miles (10 x more than number 3), while City has around 2,5k members.
Playing for us or LFC is the ultimate dream for most young footballers in Norway and our position there is top of the foodchain even though we have been a "sleeping giant" for almost a decade now. Being key to bringing us back to days of glory would put him in capital letters in football history.
We would be the perfect next/final step for him and he is ready to dominate the PL now. If we grab the #1 position in English football he will stay a long, long time.
I fully agree he made the right move last year. Just think that was our best chance of signing him as the competition for him will be something completely else this time around.

Playing for LFC or United won't be the dream for someone's who's grown up with a dad playing for Leeds and City. He's supported those clubs as a youngster, and probably still does. Him and his family has got lots of connections and friends at Leeds/City, why would he choose United over City if there was a choice between the two? We're far from destined to be a success in the coming years, and he can choose between any club he wants, basically. Just can't see it happen.

Matriac

I fully agree he made the right move last year. Just think that was our best chance of signing him as the competition for him will be something completely else this time around.

Playing for LFC or United won't be the dream for someone's who's grown up with a dad playing for Leeds and City. He's supported those clubs as a youngster, and probably still does. Him and his family has got lots of connections and friends at Leeds/City, why would he choose United over City if there was a choice between the two? We're far from destined to be a success in the coming years, and he can choose between any club he wants, basically. Just can't see it happen.
I don't know about you, but I never felt the desire to do things the same way as my dad, I wanted to be different/better.

Besides, his dad was never good enough to play for a upper tier team. He played for City when they got relegated. And, Leeds? Well..

He's ambitious, he'll want to play and win titles. If we are even just real contenders this/next season but seems to be lacking goals that would be the perfect challenge for him to come in as a missing piece.
It would make a perfect story arc for his career, not to mention our existing brand which would make him even more famous (outside of hardcore football followers) and quite rich as well. He could get entrepreneur tips from Jlingz and the crew.

I'd be more keen to reunite with people I worked well with before (Ole) than to do what my dad thinks I should do.

romufc

We need to get him, the way he motors away from defenders is incredible, seems to love scoring goals. He has the build and attributes to play in the PL.

Would take him over Sancho all day long considering he will be cheaper on the transfer fee front.

Dinghy

I don't know about you, but I never felt the desire to do things the same way as my dad, I wanted to be different/better.

Besides, his dad was never good enough to play for a upper tier team. He played for City when they got relegated. And, Leeds? Well..

He's ambitious, he'll want to play and win titles. If we are even just real contenders this/next season but seems to be lacking goals that would be the perfect challenge for him to come in as a missing piece.
It would make a perfect story arc for his career, not to mention our existing brand which would make him even more famous (outside of hardcore football followers) and quite rich as well. He could get entrepreneur tips from Jlingz and the crew.

I'd be more keen to reunite with people I worked well with before (Ole) than to do what my dad thinks I should do.
I've never had my dad "working" as my advisor and it seems like you haven't either, but Haaland does. He clearly values his dads opinion on these football-related issues. He can go anywhere he want and win titles and I doubt it'll be at United.

romufc

I've never had my dad "working" as my advisor and it seems like you haven't either, but Haaland does. He clearly values his dads opinion on these football-related issues. He can go anywhere he want and win titles and I doubt it'll be at United.
He also has Mino Raiola..Money talks and United are one of the highest paying around Europe.

Matriac

It seems like you are just worried about feeling disappointed later if he doesn't come here so you just decide to believe there's no chance.
While all logic says there's definitely a chance. We've won several races for players even during these dark years, even several with Ole in charge.

Yes we don't like buying galacticos, but Haaland's profile really does fit with the club. As long as we keep being a challenger (too early to dream about winning) we've got just about as good chance as most other teams.
Of course there's no guarantee, he could very well end up somewhere else, but I won't give up before we even try.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I think you make some valid points tbf. I'm not overly optimistic of our chances if signing Haaland...and I think he will be a success wherever he happens to go.

I wouldn't pay a huge mind to links and support as a kid though. I think if we were in a Fergie era side I'd feel fairly confident. I think on this occasion it might play some small part but if he chooses City it will be because he feels more likely to win trophies there.

We have improved, and in the last few months results have been more like it, but we are a way away from any sort of nailed on success.

Both City and Liverpool (last season particularly) play better football and a far more likely to win trophies at this point...you can see him fitting in rather well at City in particular. I can see us throwing our hat in the ring mind...and why shouldn't we?

If he goes somewhere else so be it.

Dinghy

It seems like you are just worried about feeling disappointed later if he doesn't come here so you just decide to believe there's no chance.
While all logic says there's definitely a chance. We've won several races for players even during these dark years, even several with Ole in charge.

Yes we don't like buying galacticos, but Haaland's profile really does fit with the club. As long as we keep being a challenger (too early to dream about winning) we've got just about as good chance as most other teams.
Of course there's no guarantee, he could very well end up somewhere else, but I won't give up before we even try.
I'm more worried about those who thinks we are leading the race of signing him. We got an outside chance at best, and that's only if we're close to winning the title this year/next.

NoPace

I think it’s a certainty that he will move before his buyout clause comes into play. If United were to go in for him now, the likes of Real, PSG, Bayern and Barcelona would follow or would at least offer Raiola the world if he holds back.
If the reported 68M in 2022 summer release clause is right, you might be correct, because I'd peg his current value at probably in the 150-175M range. I know that seems high for a #9 and not a more valuable wide goalscorer type but his age and goalscoring and the sustainability of it, as he doesn't rely on long shots or that sort of less repeatable thing.

So for Dortmund, selling him this summer to us for say :
1) 68M + Martial or
2) 120M or
3) 110M + Martial or Greenwood on loan for a year

so they can move at their own pace on replacing Haaland with a new #9 instead of getting one more year out of him but only having 68M to show for it and needing to spend a third or half that on whoever they like from Austria or France or wherever they've spotted the next #9 up.

Basically, the further his value gets from 68M, the more reason Dortmund have to compromise and sell him for between that and his "actual" value.

NoPace

Do we have any idea if his dad gives a flying feck about Leeds or City with regards to the literally 9 figure question that is his son's career?

If he goes to City I imagine it will be because he thinks his son can score 40 goals a year there with Aguero gone and likely Jesus leaves too as part of the deal like Dortmund booted Alcacer and Pep settles for Liam Delap as a backup 9 and more games with Ferran Torres or Sterling up top when Haaland is rested/injured.

Matriac

I'm more worried about those who thinks we are leading the race of signing him. We got an outside chance at best, and that's only if we're close to winning the title this year/next.

It's very hard to know who will be leading the race for any players 1.5 years away, a lot can change in that time. So I'd be wary of anyone claiming to be leading the race on a player even this summer.

I don't think there's just a mere outside chance either. We've been able to convince many quality players to come here after SAF, most of which has been competing with other big clubs, mind not everyone has worked out. But now we have a very solid looking team in the making.

I just think a lot of fans underestimate the pull we still have.
Media/twitter loves to report that we are in for every player on the market, so it seems like we lose out all the time. It seems more likely that we aren't interested in all of them, but maybe we took a meeting/looked closer.

rotherham_red

If I'm honest, and while I do think if City want him he'll go there, I don't see him as a Pep player. His game strikes me of being the antithesis of Pep's way of playing the game.

Maybe they are looking to mould him into that as he is still young but I'd be careful of going there if I were him as so much of what makes him a great talent would have to be compromised if he had to play as the Pep type 9.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
He will go to a big club that creates many chances and fights for titles and is in the CL. And it will be a club where he does not sit on the bench except for rotation to avoid injuries. Also, he will move when he and his dad feels the time and opportunity is right and he no longer can develop as fast in Dortmund. That might not be yet. It does not matter what Raiola thinks. Erling and his dad will decide together.

I see Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona as the only options. But of these, only the english can afford him, and propably only when the exit deal activates. Right now he would cost at least 150 million euros. I doubt anyone wants to pay that much during the pandemic. He will take a step up from Germany, and that excludes PSG and Bayern.

Can you imagine any of our forwards scoring a goal like this?

Just look at the instant recognition of the chance developing, and the absolute desire and desperation to score. None of our forwards have that. Martial, Rashford, Greenwood...none of them, to me at least, have that absolute crazy desire to win that Ronaldo had when he was here, that Bruno has, that Haaland has.

IrishRedDevil

Atrocious defending.
Should have easily cleared the ball and should’ve known the runner was coming behind for a tap in.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
At a time when Pep is looking more and more like a false 9 team - Haaland looks less and less likely for them in my opinion.

RUCK4444

Just look at the instant recognition of the chance developing, and the absolute desire and desperation to score. None of our forwards have that. Martial, Rashford, Greenwood...none of them, to me at least, have that absolute crazy desire to win that Ronaldo had when he was here, that Bruno has, that Haaland has.
Feck me, yeah the desire to get into that scoring position was first class.

What a player.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Who was the last one I am trying to remember
Well you have yo go based upon reports. But as recently as the last player we have gotten through the door who was reportedly wanted by City too, who went for Stevanovic after we concluded the deal.

In recent years you can call the likes of Fred, Sanchez, Lukaku, Bailly and Dalot. I’m sure Spurs were chasing Bruno too. I’d go as far as to say we win more transfer battles than we lose, however, fans and transfers are often an emotional mess and just want, want, want. Given that we can’t sign every player we go for, and other clubs do exist - we are competitive in the transfer market in my opinion. More so than we were under Sir Alex, where we didn’t win many transfer fights at all.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

HAALAND WILL LEAVE DORTMUND @OriolDomenech :

"Haaland will not continue at Dortmund and Raiola will do his best to try to place him here"

"He is interested in having good relations with Barça"

"Raiola has not spoken to any pre-candidate, but he has spoken to Minguella"

Matriac

HAALAND WILL LEAVE DORTMUND @OriolDomenech :

"Haaland will not continue at Dortmund and Raiola will do his best to try to place him here"

"He is interested in having good relations with Barça"

"Raiola has not spoken to any pre-candidate, but he has spoken to Minguella"

Says random twitter account with no record.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I think Dortmund will hang onto him this summer and he'll go when his release clause kicks in

Kuba

I just say 2 words

Haaland, Grealish

and then few more:

If we could buy them and have Bruno and Jack behind him his scoring would be insane.

Coops73

I just say 2 words

Haaland, Grealish

and then few more:

If we could buy them and have Bruno and Jack behind him his scoring would be insane.
This is the dream but it’s a fecking expensive dream and for me I’m not sure dealing with Raiola is worth the hassle.

Bwuk

This is the dream but it’s a fecking expensive dream and for me I’m not sure dealing with Raiola is worth the hassle.
Haaland could be the next Messi/Ronaldo level of player. Raiola only acts in the best interest of his client.

I highly doubt Ed would be arsed if he had to deal with Raiola to get Haaland.

For me if theres any chance Haaland is worth whatever the fee would be. He's miles ahead of any of our forwards.

Can you imagine any defenders in this league letting them score a goal like that? Atrocious defending.

Everything seems to be against this transfer. His dad hates us, we've fallen out with Raiola, we missed him first time around. No mistake he would be brilliant here, forget Sancho and Mbappe, he's the next big thing in world football. I just don't see him in a Manchester United shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.