Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCurry

Haaland is a talented player obviously, but I get a feeling that he’ll be closer to Bale than Cristiano as far as Galactico signings are concerned. I don’t see him as a top generational talent like some posters here seem to think he is. Mbappe on the other hand, would be a signing well worth the money.

UTD_Since_1978

He’s a player who will be on the move soon from whoever he joins, he is becoming injury prone which doesn’t bode well for how his later career could e affected by his early development, and we have seen what happens when we have a striker up top whose main attribute is goal scoring and nothing much else.
All for a 250m investment? Stay the feck away imo
And get who instead?

SAFMUTD

I think his value has come down a bit, the recurent muscle injuries are becoming a matter of concern. He's missed 17 games with 4 different muscular injuries this season, thats around as much as Varane has missed for us. He missed 9 games last season so it may be a recurring issue.

Worth the risk? for sure, but it wouldnt surprise me if he doesnt live up to the hype due to injuries.

Vapor trail

I think he's going to be class, but I don't think he'll be the goal-scoring machine in England that he has been in Germany. I have nothing to back this up other than hope
There's every chance he doesn't replicate that record in other leagues too. Countless players and managers (including Pep) have spoke on the differences between the english league and Germany.

Idxomer

I think his value has come down a bit, the recurent muscle injuries are becoming a matter of concern. He's missed 17 games with 4 different muscular injuries this season, thats around as much as Varane has missed for us. He missed 9 games last season so it may be a recurring issue.

Worth the risk? for sure, but it wouldnt surprise me if he doesnt live up to the hype due to injuries.
And his dad retired at 30, high red alert here.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Maybe he should cut down some of that muscle as being too muscle bound can be rather a con than a positive.

Anyway I could actually see barca going for him ( not that he fits them) if Madrid go through with mbappe, kinda of regen of the Messi Ronaldo rivalry with neither being as good.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Maybe he should cut down some of that muscle as being too muscle bound can be rather a con than a positive.

Anyway I could actually see barca going for him ( not that he fits them) if Madrid go through with mbappe, kinda of regen of the Messi Ronaldo rivalry with neither being as good.
Personally, I don't think it's much of a rivalry on an individual level right now, I just don't think Haaland is close to Mbappe in overall impact and ability to affect the game like Messi/CR7 were for their respective teams and individual accolades. The media is definitely going to present it that way, because both are outliers for their generation so far and are racking up huge numbers, but for as different as Messi/CR7 were, they both were able to have their fingerprints all over a game, I've seen Mbappe do that on all stages (except the Euros), but Haaland has yet to show that consistently. If the service isn't there, he becomes pedestrian at times.

If his wage demands are real, and I don't know that for a fact but given his agent, I'm sure the extra fees will be ridiculous, I'm sure he will find a club to pay for it, but I do think it's a bit of a gamble. If it's a team like City, fine...they can find a way to provide him with plenty of service and it might just push them over the edge if they fail to win the CL this year, but a team like United? I think he would be far from as effective as he has been in Germany, and I think he knows that given the 'reports' that he isn't interested in coming here.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Personally, I don't think it's much of a rivalry on an individual level right now, I just don't think Haaland is close to Mbappe in overall impact and ability to affect the game like Messi/CR7 were for their respective teams and individual accolades. The media is definitely going to present it that way, because both are outliers for their generation so far and are racking up huge numbers, but for as different as Messi/CR7 were, they both were able to have their fingerprints all over a game, I've seen Mbappe do that on all stages (except the Euros), but Haaland has yet to show that consistently. If the service isn't there, he becomes pedestrian at times.

If his wage demands are real, and I don't know that for a fact but given his agent, I'm sure the extra fees will be ridiculous, I'm sure he will find a club to pay for it, but I do think it's a bit of a gamble. If it's a team like City, fine...they can find a way to provide him with plenty of service and it might just push them over the edge if they fail to win the CL this year, but a team like United? I think he would be far from as effective as he has been in Germany, and I think he knows that given the 'reports' that he isn't interested in coming here.
I completely agree but the bottom line is the media wants their narrative and so far these two pose the greatest chance to carry the mantel from the old guard Messi and Ronaldo.
I feel riola will be a huge bottleneck though as it just makes things way too costly for anyone to commit fully. In the end this summer will be very interesting and consequential to their future.

Someone

Something
I think he's great but I'm reading that Raiola wants 40m and his father 30? I don't want us to walk that road to be honest. Nobody can ever be a guaranteed success, and we need to rebuild this squad. Going for these type of deals will hold us back.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I think he's great but I'm reading that Raiola wants 40m and his father 30? I don't want us to walk that road to be honest. Nobody can ever be a guaranteed success, and we need to rebuild this squad. Going for these type of deals will hold us back.
I just wish they would pass some real laws on this, because it's absolutely ridiculous.

croadyman

Yeah be a different story IF we already had all the other pieces in place like City but we don't

NoPace

That's a lot, but if we go for Pochettino, I think it's worth the risk. His goal record is insane. If it's Ten Hag, probably have to rebuild other spots and a 9 isn't quite as big a priority.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Ive read somewhere Bayern cooled their interest down due to his recent injury record. I dont follow German League but i know that Bayern have the best info when it comes to players in Bundesliga
His injury record is worrying but in the current economic climate Bayern would never pay the alleged wages/fees anyways.
And as a Bayern supporter I am fine by it since I am not 100% convinced by Haaland. We will struggle replacing Lewandowski (and Neuer and Müller) in the nearer future.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His injury record is worrying but in the current economic climate Bayern would never pay the alleged wages/fees anyways.
And as a Bayern supporter I am fine by it since I am not 100% convinced by Haaland. We will struggle replacing Lewandowski (and Neuer and Müller) in the nearer future.
What doesn't convince you, out of interest?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
What doesn't convince you, out of interest?
It is mostly about the fit. Haaland is a player who relies on speed and space to a good amount. As a Bayern attacker you don’t have space. You need technique and/or explosiveness in small space.

To me(!) adding Haaland would be like trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Haaland is a great striker but he will never have Lewandowski‘s touch.

But - as stated - Bayern is not paying what he is allegedly asking for anyways.

Anderson_7_

The media (with their hyperbole) & his mafia boss/manager (with insane salary demands) are not allowing him to develop without unreasonable attention.

They're making sure he crumbles under the weight of gigantic expectations, especially if goes to City.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Still not sure he's worth it to City, but I guess we'll see. Surely the only club that can afford the ridiculous package.

After 100m on Grealish too!

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Good for them hope they spunk a ridiculous amount on him and leave us alone to get some less high profile players in.

Cloud7

Haaland is quality no doubt, but how much more of a ceiling is there for this city team to reach? They’re already so good without a recognized striker

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Haaland is quality no doubt, but how much more of a ceiling is there for this city team to reach? They’re already so good without a recognized striker
And yet at times they look desperate for one, like the match against Atletico for example. This would complete them as the juggernaut they tend to be.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'm not so sure. Look at Sancho (and others) who ripped it up for Dortmund but then struggled to adapt. The comment above regarding the reliance on space could prove to be spot on.
Haaland needs service more than he needs space, and he should get plenty of it from City if he did move there, he can create his own space pretty well with his movement already.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'm not so sure. Look at Sancho (and others) who ripped it up for Dortmund but then struggled to adapt. The comment above regarding the reliance on space could prove to be spot on.
If Haaland joined a disjoint team like us, maybe he would struggle a lot with no service provided. But if he joined City, he just need to stand near the box then he would have plenty of chances put on plate for him.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
There will always be some loopholes even if they pass some laws restricting agent fees.
There really doesn't need to be loopholes if this was at all properly set up. I'm a dummy, and I can come up with a way this can be done where agents have to be registered with a governing body that oversees all transfers before having it approved, with a cap on agent fees between 5-10% (which would be one fee to be split up between agent, family members, whoever else is getting a piece of the pie), and every year any beneficiaries of a transfer fee are audited. If there's a need for funding, you can take a small percentage of transfer fees to fund this.

I'm sure it's not that simple, but I refuse to believe it can't be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.