EU Referendum | UK residents vote today.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely, valid concerns but the notion that it's racist is just complete bollocks. He ended up threadbanned after continuing a bizarre rant about racism and ended up calling Penna a Nazi sympathiser.
Post the rant?

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Two isolated incidents. One nut job does not mean all voters for leave are like that. Same with Jon Cox. Just because she advocated free speech doesn't mean all the remaining voters do.

It's seen in the way they have gone about this campaign. Labelling leave voters bigots and lunatics and scaremongering. That isn't the case here where people discuss fairly freely about topits but it has between politicians and average voters.
I didn't say all of Cox's opponents were like Mair and certainly it's wrong to label Leave voters as bigots etc. Not all are doing that and those that are are wrong.

Manny

Grammar Police
What's with not wanting us in the EU then? Are you like that friend who secretly hate seeing you do anything of note and resents everything you do?
We want you in the EU but if you leave we will continue to live our lives.
A lot of European cities stand to gain from a UK exit through a relocation of a lot high paying jobs, services and taxes. Not saying they actively want us out, but Europeans wouldn't be losing sleep over it.

Absolutely, valid concerns but the notion that it's racist is just complete bollocks. He ended up threadbanned after continuing a bizarre rant about racism and ended up calling Penna a Nazi sympathiser.
:lol:

Hitch

May have already been mentioned, but the bookies are making it seem like it's in the bag for remain. 1.17 for remain, 8 for leave.

Belgium winning the Euros for example, is at 7.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Because the UK were seen like minions of the US.
We still are.

It's a bitter pill for the British to swallow. We used to rule most of the known world, now we are being ordered around by a German. That's got to sting a little.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Has there been any discussion on Juncker's comments earlier? He essentially confirmed that there would be no more reforms or concessions for the UK should it chose to remain.

That pretty much discredits Remain's idea of staying and reforming from within you'd think.
You're confusing 'concessions' which would apply to UK only, and 'reforms' which apply to all, and are part of the continuing form of any government as it creates and passes it's laws. Reform one way or another won't stop.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
A lot of European cities stand to gain from a UK exit through a relocation of a lot high paying jobs, services and taxes. Not saying they actively want us out, but Europeans wouldn't be losing sleep over it.
That's true, we could benefit from it but I think that most people prefer to see the EU with the UK. At the end of the day, we prefer to share our wealth with the UK in a peaceful Europe than without them.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
@Kaos , Why do you think leave voters would be publicly ashamed to say they voted for Brexit? People I have spoken with outside of the cafe are more than happy to bang the drum for whoever they are voting for.

@Marching , that's a bizarre response to a post that was essentially nothing more than an assumption.
Why? So someone votes Leave and then feels ashamed. IF they did that it's daft.

NinjaFletch

We still are.

It's a bitter pill for the British to swallow. We used to rule most of the known world, now we are being ordered around by a German. That's got to sting a little.
Best argument I've heard yet.

I vote to turn the clock back around of years and commit genocide all over the world again. Ah, the halcyon days of the British Empire.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
You say that but then you're someone openly willing to admit you support Leeds.

Manny

Grammar Police
We still are.

What does that Farage pamphlet taste like?

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
We want you in the EU but if you leave we will continue to live our lives.
Thats exactly what are my feelings. I see myself as an european, its the best our continent have done after the castrophes and disasters in the past. Ok, we need to reform the whole thing and do it more democratic and regions and citizen based. But since the witch Thatcher Britain always complains,wanting and getting extras from the EU, and never get the idea truly and put some energy in it like France or Germany. So i will be a little bit sad if Britain leaves, having so much friends in Britain from Erasmus and stuff, and i would be glad if Britain would be another stronghold of the ideas which comes with an European Union. But i also see the Brexit as a possibilty to go on with the whole project with more force without a neoliberal Britain which is always ranting about every stupid stuff..

Iam just surprised how stupid people can be, i was reading articles about regions in Britain which got tons of money from the EU for structural things and got a lot of effort from it, but the people dont see it and run after the idea that Britain has to be an Empire for itself like in the past.

We will see.

Last edited:

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
We're not being ordered around by a German at all, that's nonsense.

And does it hurt to be in a democracy and not an Empire? erm, no, it's 2016.
The people who ruled the world are too long dead for it to still be "we".
Best argument I've heard yet.

I vote to turn the clock back around of years and commit genocide all over the world again. Ah, the halcyon days of the British Empire.
The Queen doesn't have that much power in reality.
What does that Farage pamphlet taste like?
It was a joke.

NinjaFletch

The 'Remain' lead in our poll up top is surging forward. Up about 3% since a few days ago.

Hopefully thats a good sign.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
How old are you?

I haven't voted in previous elections partly due to a complete lack of interest in politics, general apathy through everything thanks to depression and the fact that St. Helens is solidly Labour (and of course there are solidly Tory/Lib Dem/SNP/whatever places in the country) so even if I voted something else it never would've seemed to make a difference. The voting system for general elections is flawed but I'll vote in the next one.

I knew this made a difference though so I read up on it and the potential pitfalls of both. Was extremely hard trying to sift through all the bullshit though.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Iam just surprised how stupid people can be, i was reading articles about regions in Britain which got tons of money from the EU for structural things and got a lot of effort from it, but the people dont see it and run after the idea that Britain has to be an Empire for itself like in the past.
Where did that money come from in the first place? British taxpayers. Only we lose some of it along the way, on nnecessary or objectionable EU initiatives.

Manny

Grammar Police
The 'Remain' lead in our poll up top is surging forward. Up about 3% since a few days ago.

Hopefully thats a good sign.
Since 8pm on Tuesday, the start of the BBC debate, No is up 7 votes (from 159) and Yes is up 74 votes (from 359)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Why is there next to no coverage on Sky News? Aren't the press allowed to cover it on voting day?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Why is there next to no coverage on Sky News? Aren't the press allowed to cover it on voting day?
They are not. They just talk about problems at polling stations, weather and show footage of politicians arriving to vote.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
On the radio they are saying that the turnout is predicted to be so high that they decided only remainers would have to vote today.

Leavers will vote tomorrow. stolen from reddit

bri2013

It was actually the bold bit that I was referring to below. Had you replied with the above quote, that would make sense to me. What you put in the bold bit below, reads like a sweeping statement about Brexit voters, based around nothing more than "possibility"

Anyone think a "Shy Brexiter" effect may take place?

If I were a remainer I'd be very concerned the polls have it as close as it is, considering the possibility that a fair proportion of voters would be publicly ashamed to admit they're voting out.
That speaks volumes about them I'm afraid. People should have the courage of their convictions and hold their heads up high whichever way they vote. If you are ashamed of voting Leave it suggests you got it wrong.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Don't forget to take your pen! ;)
Mind you £ up against the $ and bookies now offering 1/8 remain and 7/1 leave and they are all undertaking private polling so it looks like their early indications are remain (yay)
More important is my electronic magnifier, one wouldn't want to put the X in the wrong box.

The pound started moving quite early too,m before the majority of voters would even have gone to a polling station. There's going to be disaffection either way, just hope i'm not the one feeling it on this occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.