Euro 2016 - 24 Teams not a bad thing

Helder-Carvalho

From 2016 onwards the Euros will have 24 team competing, in my view that's not a bad thing, first and foremost, it will take a disaster to not qualify, so that is a good thing. Secondly, imagine Euro 2012 with the current 16 teams plus Serbia, Bosnia, Belgium, Turkey, Switzerland, Slovakia, Romania and Israel. It would still be a great tournment, no pushovers.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Good thing. Great for Ireland and some other sides who struggle to get in every 4 years.

Man-United

I love the idea. More games to watch and 8 more countries have the chance to qualify, some who never have been playing in the Euros before.

Liam147

On Probation
It's a good thing for those nations usually on the brink of qualifying, who don't make it, Scotland, Ireland etc, but you've got to ask, why don't they usually make it? Usually because the quality isn't there, and do you really want to bring that to an international tournament?

MUFAN79

From 2016 onwards the Euros will have 24 team competing, in my view that's not a bad thing, first and foremost, it will take a disaster to not qualify, so that is a good thing. Secondly, imagine Euro 2012 with the current 16 teams plus Serbia, Bosnia, Belgium, Turkey, Switzerland, Slovakia, Romania and Israel. It would still be a great tournment, no pushovers.
That's great.

Ralaks

To be honest I don't think the tournament would be noticeably better if those teams were in the mix.

Only better in the sense there would be more games.

stubie

It is a bad thing!

You can have someone doing an Ireland from Italia 90 and reaching the Quarter Finals without winning a match.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Also in terms of Euro 2012 qualifying, Scotland and Norway deserve it more than Israel, Romania, Serbia, or Belgium

rcoobc

Personally I think it will be a bad thing.

The Bad
  • Less nations will be able to host the thing.
  • Winning the Group will mean less (play a 3rd place team or a 2nd place team).
  • The final group game will mean less.
  • Actually every group game will mean less.
  • Qualifying will be ridiculously dull.
  • It looses its parallels with the World Cup. At the moment both are about as difficult to qualify for.

The Good
  • Last 16 knock-outs: 8 more knock-out games, 1 more knock-out round.
  • More nations like Scotland, Ireland, Bosnia will be be able to qualify.

rcoobc

Technically it's possible to get the the knock-outs without winning a game at the moment. But rather unlikely I suppose.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't see how the merits out weigh the demerits. Almost all the teams in this tournament have been decent at least. Imagine Euro 2004 with 24 countries.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
You forgot Scotland! We might finally have a chance of getting to a tournament.

rcoobc

I don't see how the merits out weigh the demerits. Almost all the teams in this tournament have been decent at least. Imagine Euro 2004 with 24 countries.
To be fair Greece would have had to been solid defensively through 4 knock-out games instead of three.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Boo, I say, boo.

Allowing more shit teams in will surely lead to more shit games. The World Cup always has loads of stinkers in the group stages, whereas you can probably count the poor games from this tournament on one hand so far.

Obviously it's good for the shit teams and their fans.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This will be great, especially considering how many times Bosnia has narrowly missed out :mad: we won't have to go through the agony of being drawn against Portugal as well in the play offs when we could beat every other team that was there.

For neutrals it means more games which is alway a plus.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
16 teams has kept the level of quality fairly tight for the last few tournaments. It can only be diluted from expanding it. 24 teams out of 53 in UEFA is too much.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
It's bollocks. Euros are nearly always brilliant, World Cups are usually average. Solution: make the Euros more like the World Cup. Brilliant. A decision with money in mind that will hurt football. 4 out of 6 third-place teams going through? Absolute bollocks.

Orton

Top teams don't necessarily mean top games. Just look at England - France, Germany - Portugal and tonight's Spain game for instance. If anything group A with the less favoured sides was probably the most exciting group in this tournament.

rcoobc

The big positive is the new Last 16 matches. Once the Euros hits the knock-outs its only one game per day, and only 7 days of knock-out football.

Add the Last-16 matches and you have four days of 2 games per day, followed by four days of 1 game per day, giving 15 knock-out games and 11 days of knock-out football.

What do you prefer, more knock-out football or close group stages?

Man-United

More knock-out football. The more football, the better. I would love to have a 32 teams in the Euros too..

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Boo, I say, boo.

Allowing more shit teams in will surely lead to more shit games. The World Cup always has loads of stinkers in the group stages, whereas you can probably count the poor games from this tournament on one hand so far.

Obviously it's good for the shit teams and their fans.
So it's good for England then. They lost out on the last Euros. And they are a shit team.

Donut

How does a 24 team tournament works? 6 groups of 4, where 2 go to the knockouts, then we have 12, 6, and then 3? :confused:

I'm a little drunk.

Blackwidow

It still will be decent with 8 more countries. Apart from teams like San Marino, Liechtenstein or maybe some of the Ex-Soviet-Teams like Kasachstan, Aserbaidschan or Moldavia there is much teams in Europe which have quality and would make it difficult to the established.

When I see what is growing in Austria - and at Bayern there is some promising Austrian talents in the U-teams, too - they will have a much better team in four years, too.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It still will be decent with 8 more countries. Apart from teams like San Marino, Liechtenstein or maybe some of the Ex-Soviet-Teams like Kasachstan, Aserbaidschan or Moldavia there is much teams in Europe which have quality and would make it difficult to the established.

When I see what is growing in Austria - and at Bayern there is some promising Austrian talents in the U-teams, too - they will have a much better team in four years, too.
Fair enough, we'll have to wait and see.

Cina

It'll ruin it, I'm disappointed at the decision

And i'm Irish!

Orton

It's also a good excuse for flat track bullies like Ronaldo and Gomez to score loads of goals.

kidding

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
There will of course be a few extra poor sides because of this. But also the likes of Serbia and Belgium would be welcome additions.

I don't think it will ruin the tournament. And eventually it will help the likes of Ireland playing in more of these in the long run.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I read few days ago that they ruled this out.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
Shite decision, i say this as a scotsman who would love to see us make it to the euros but why dilute the quality. It's perfect as it is. The standard has been so great, England, Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, Germany could all have went out in the first round. Holland bloody did.

Revan

Assumptionman
IMO that is a very bad thing. Group stages in EURO are much better than in World Cup only because there are less teams.

In the other side that is a good thing for teams like Ireland, Switzerland, Turkey, Serbia etc who have some quality but cannot qualify everytime.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
While this means that Hungary will have a decent chance to qualify to a major tournament after 30 years, the quality of the Euros will dip significantly, so no, I dont like it.
I am in the same boat mate, for teams who struggle to qualify making it is a great achievment, you go in against the best and give your all. Of course with 24 teams we all have a slightly better chance of making it but it wont be the same.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Why is this such a positive? It'll take a bit of a disaster not to get to the knock-out stages, too. Which doesn't exactly force or encourage quality football, if scraping through is the norm.

Assuming they use the same format.
They are. Which means a first round 24 group format (36 games) just to eliminate 8 teams. Third place from a four team group scraping through is pathetic.

If 24 is the way, they'd have been better with four groups of six.

I'm not going to be hating the tournament or not watching or anything, but I still think it's a mistake.