Europa League 2012-13

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I would sooner win the fa cup and Europa than finish 4th, but it would go in this order.

FA cup+Europa
FA cup
4th spot
Europa

Such is our dominance in the FA cup and also because of the 'notion' we don't have the toughest runs to win the FA cup, I would sooner we got another cup, beating both Manchester clubs en route than finished 4th. As has been said, you don't win anything by coming 4th, that's an Arsenal mentality and actually is an anti-football one, the kind that says money is more important than the actual game, contrary to many who would be quick to ascertain Chelsea were more about the money!

We can survive one season out of the CL.

Anyway its not an either or scenario, such is Spurs collapse its not out of the question we could win the cups and finish 4th.
The only reason money isn't more important than the game to you is because you've got loads of it, filthy great pots of it.

Devil may care

Didn't see Chelsea or Newcastle's games but I thought Spurs did ok given who they were missing, Basle deserved it over the two legs though, Spurs didn't do enough at White Hart Lane.

Adebayor was an utter disgrace, he took that penalty like he wanted top miss it to save his lazy arse from a couple of extra games, then turns around and gives that smug smile, the epitome of the mercenary footballer.

I was impressed with Salah over the two legs, he seems a real prospect.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Basle looked very good, fair play to them. Salah especially was excellent.

Proud of how the players did overall, 2 or 3 stupid individual mistakes cost us hugely but that's football I guess. Once it got to penalties, I knew we'd lose. Our record with them is crap and our players could barely stand at the end of the match.

There'll always be a few what ifs in my mind, like why AVB would play our strongest attacking line ups but rotate the defence but that's for another time I guess. Hope Basle go on to win it.

Still, a sad reflection of the competition and what UEFA have done with it that the 4 semi-finalists of the Europa league are all CL drop outs. Oh well.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
The only reason money isn't more important than the game to you is because you've got loads of it, filthy great pots of it.
That is true, but doesn't that mean we go into almost all our games with the trophies in mind, not about the financial implications of not getting in the same competition each year?

That is surely a plus side to teams having more money.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
So we face Basel, conquerors of United last season and Bayern/ Spurs this.

We have the 'advantage' of the second leg being at home, but other than that we have to put in a top performance. Now we're at the semis we might as well take it seriously and try to win it or it makes the previous 6 games a waste of time.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea will win it. Benfica will give them one hell of a game though if they face off.
I'd fancy us in a final vs any of the 3 teams, but its just the two legged tie I'm not so keen off vs Basel. Still I would rather them than Benfica.

kiristao

If Chelsea win the Europa league, do they get automatic qualification into the Champions league? If they do, does that mean that only the top 3 teams from England will then get into the Champions league?

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
If Chelsea win the Europa league, do they get automatic qualification into the Champions league? If they do, does that mean that only the top 3 teams from England will then get into the Champions league?
No, winning the Europa league doesn't get you the CL spot.

It adds another trophy to your resume though, and that's good enough for a certain Spanish manager, who won't be in charge of Chelsea past this season, anyway.

Cevno

Chelsea should win it. Though it won't be a cruise, especially if they take it lightly.

Won't surprise me if Fener upset Benfica though.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Just hope Chelsea field a full strength team. And it goes to pens :)

Cevno

Penalty for Fener. Was offside and seemed a bit harsh.

Kuyt scores.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
So it's most likely Fenerbahce v Chelsea in the final. Should be easy for Chelsea.

Cevno

Cardozo!!

Really entertaining game this between Benfica and Fener. All sorts of decision to make for Lannoy so far.

vuc

First Team Serb
What a game! Kuyt with a good chance missed, Matic firing just wide after a nice initial pass to set up the LW. Impossible that this can stay 2-1.