European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

giggs-beckham

Clueless
It would help if there was a cap on wages and fees. Wasn't part of the esl proposals a percentage cap of 55 percent agreed to be spent on players fees.
It's probably not viable because you'd need every club in Europe agreeing to it but it would be a good thing.

Ixion

Hope Barca and Real are struggling and this is a big blow to them. Rotten clubs.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Hope Barca and Real are struggling and this is a big blow to them. Rotten clubs.
I would love nothing more than to see those clubs go bankrupt. What is funny is that people think they can buy Mbappe and Håland, when in actual fact they're struggling to buy Eric Garcia for €5m.

90 + 5min

So, the world saviour still talking about it like football don’t exist beside Real Madrid and few other sides.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
You're basically a Trump voter. Not watched a game in 4 years but wants to feck up the entirety of European football because, well, because. Fecking hell and Perez wanted to make the likes of that the focus of the new league :lol:
:lol: I wasn't being overly serious about this.

I've always wanted some form of Super League, at least for the past 20 years. I thought it would be the only realistic way to keep big clubs from smaller Leagues competitive.

There was also at some point a discussion about an Atlantic League which seemed a very interesting alternative for clubs like ours. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_League_(football) but it was never remotely considered by authorities.

After a few years of seeing that my team couldn't hold to any half-decent player for more than two seasons and the oldest player in the squad was with us for 4 seasons I just lost interest. Porto actually have managed to remain relatively competitive with a couple of QF CL appearances but it always seems stretched so thin and a few years away from Celtic levels of irrelevance.

It's one thing to lose your best players to a dozen of European giants, losing half your squad to the likes of Wolverhampton it's just not compatible with maintaining the same level of interest as a fan. For what concerns clubs like Porto, the SuperLeague already exists and we are locked out of it as well. Newer generations of football fans support foreign clubs.

So yeah, I always hoped for an earthquake, it never came.

That quote you got from me was just an oversimplification of this. For a couple of days football became interesting to me, even if for all the wrong reasons.

The crucial difference from a Trump supporter is that this doesn't negatively impact my life. It probably wouldn't even negatively impact Porto at all.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
These rotten clubs are the only ones in european football with 100 % in membership possession. Thats the original idea of clubs by the way, maybe you have forgotten. Where would the PL clubs be without their sugardaddys? It's easy to judge other clubs in terms of money, if you have someone who pays everything for you.
If both clubs would sell at least the same amount of shares Bayern did (25 %) they would be debt free tomorrow.

Uefa takes every season over 700 million € of the CL money for themselfs. That money is generated only by the clubs on the field and Uefa takes that money for organizing a tournament. This is not rotten? But yeah, those 2 clubs are the bad guys here, because they want to break out of the mafia structures.

Where is the shitstorm against the rotten uefa? I don't see any, and thats makes everything that happend in the last few days hypocritical in my eyes.

Abizzz

I'm glad :)
I've always wanted some form of Super League, at least for the past 20 years. I thought it would be the only realistic way to keep big clubs from smaller Leagues competitive.

There was also at some point a discussion about an Atlantic League which seemed a very interesting alternative for clubs like ours. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_League_(football) but it was never remotely considered by authorities.

After a few years of seeing that my team couldn't hold to any half-decent player for more than two seasons and the oldest player in the squad was with us for 4 seasons I just lost interest. Porto actually have managed to remain relatively competitive with a couple of QF CL appearances but it always seems stretched so thin and a few years away from Celtic levels of irrelevance.

It's one thing to lose your best players to a dozen of European giants, losing half your squad to the likes of Wolverhampton it's just not compatible with maintaining the same level of interest as a fan. For what concerns clubs like Porto, the SuperLeague already exists and we are locked out of it as well. Newer generations of football fans support foreign clubs.

That quote you got from me was just an oversimplification of this. For a couple of days football became interesting to me, even if for all the wrong reasons.

The crucial difference from a Trump supporter is that this doesn't negatively impact my life. It probably wouldn't even negatively impact Porto at all.
It's a lot easier to understand this, thanks for elaborating! However isn't Porto a good example of what would be lost if the superleague really had been formed? 2004 could never have happened. Granted, the way things are going now it's not likely to happen again anytime soon either, but at least it could. My own support for United started when they beat the team I hated, and I hated that team (Bayern) for pretty much the same reasons you feel locked out now, buying all of our players (Karlsruher SC) right in my formative years as a child. But all of that only happened because they were all in the same, bigger, "structure", and I'd hate for that to be lost. (And recently I've had to defend Bayern on here because of this stupid superleague and feel dirty and ashamed of myself because of it).

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Perez is actually an idiot. He keeps complaining about the UCL format not working and that they all keep losing money. Since when did UEFA decide how much they spend on players and transfer fees and whatever else?

It's basically as if you buy a house outside your price range, get in financial trouble, and then blame your boss for not getting paid enough and being at fault for you choosing to spend too much in the first place. Guy is a fecking idiot.
He is like a crack addict, thinks everyone else is wrong and doesn't know how to fix his own problems.

He basically thinks the solution is we all keep giving him more money so he can continue outspending other clubs.

stevoc

Among the many terrible aspects of The Super League one of the things that really annoyed me was that it's clear the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona are absolutely skint. La Liga has dropped well off in popularity in the last few years and both clubs are in huge trouble.

For the first time in a generation we've probably reached a point where Madrid and Barca can no longer just go and cherry pick the best players in the world.

And yet we were all in favour of joining this super league and effectively saving them. Just to make some quick money. They didn't give a shit about saving football, they just wanted to save themselves.
So which 2 teams do you think they'll be rocking up at in a post FFP world instead then?

ShinjiNinja26

So glad to his whole thing collapsed on its arse. Having had a quick browse at a few fan forums Juve, Barca etc. It seems these lot are extremely bitter and jealous of the PL claiming it’s already a “Super League” and we just want to keep it all to ourselves. :houllier: :lol:

The whole thing stinks, throwing their toys out the pram because they can’t sign the latest shiny new toy and are no longer the top dogs that can just bully everyone else and sign whoever they want. Just like Perez and co they’re only out for themselves and feck the rest of them.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
So glad to his whole thing collapsed on its arse. Having had a quick browse at a few fan forums Juve, Barca etc. It seems these lot are extremely bitter and jealous of the PL claiming it’s already a “Super League” and we just want to keep it all to ourselves. :houllier: :lol:

The whole thing stinks, throwing their toys out the pram because they can’t sign the latest shiny new toy and are no longer the top dogs that can just bully everyone else and sign whoever they want. Just like Perez and co they’re only out for themselves and feck the rest of them.
so basically they are complaining that they aren't based in England :confused:

ShinjiNinja26

so basically they are complaining that they aren't based in England :confused:
The whole thing just stinks of jealousy. They look at how well the PL is doing and the players and managers it attracts and want a slice of the pie for themselves because no one gives a shite about their own leagues and the fact their own clubs have been terribly mismanaged.

Manny

Grammar Police
Is there another club as greedy and self-centered as Real and Barca? Any issues with debt or the popularity of Spanish football has been of their own making.

I can't believe Perez is still talking about Mbappe.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I would be surprised if some people in the front office at Chelsea are not sent packing if this is true.\

Chelsea European Super League exit due to Roman Abramovich feeling ‘livid’ at being ‘blindsided’ by backlash
Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck ultimately led the Blues' exit from the European Super League.

But it was Roman Abramovich's anger that brought the whole house of cards down.

The Chelsea owner is said to have been "blindsided" by the strength of the backlash to Sunday's announcement - and then "livid" that he had been misinformed about the likely reaction.

As the pressure grew, with fans gathering outside Stamford Bridge, Buck urged Abramovich and the club hierarchy to make moves to withdraw from the project.

And the billionaire oligarch agreed, shocked to the core by how quickly everything had fallen apart.

Abramovich and Chelsea started getting cold feet on Sunday when the stunning news about the Super League emerged and football united in its opposition to the breakaway.

According to a source, Abramovich "had no idea that there would be such a backlash".

Chelsea fan groups and former players were part of the chorus of disapproval.

And when it became clear that supporters were going to take their protest to Stamford Bridge and shut down Fulham Road, the writing was really on the wall.

Playing legend Petr Cech, now the club's technical and performance advisor, came out of the stadium to beg fans to allow the Chelsea and Brighton team coaches through ahead of the Premier League match.

But by then the Blues were already trying to disentangle themselves from a league that had been formally announced less than 48 hours earlier.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...ramovich-european-super-league-backlash-buck/

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Whose heads? Who's to blame that Roman is too out of touch with reality to expect this kind of backlash?
Since his Visa was denied it is pretty well known that Roman is not very involved with the day to day running of the club. He is definitely out of touch.

ShinjiNinja26

I would be surprised if some people in the front office at Chelsea are not sent packing if this is true.\
Feck off! What a pile of shite “No idea of the reaction” What kind of reaction did he expect exactly? It’s like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted, the damage has already been done Roman don’t try and wheedle your way out now.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I am not at all sure that I buy this - it was only done to put pressure on UEFA story.
If it was correct, it was a massively stupid and high risk way of doing it. Akin to cutting your nose off to split your face.
No. There was far more to it than that.

For these 6 clubs, they have demonstrated to their global fanbase that they are totally and completely out of touch with reality. And lost a huge amount of good will.

What Manchester United desparately need to do is to reconnect with their supporters. That means better understanding what their supporters do and don't want.
Their rediculous policy of not communicating with them has ended up with this damaging fiasco.
That policy simply has to be replaced with one of openness and accessibility.
Every other customer facing business is jumping through hoops to get closer to their customers. And any that operate as awfully as the Glazers would be out of business.

The Irish Connection

These rotten clubs are the only ones in european football with 100 % in membership possession. Thats the original idea of clubs by the way, maybe you have forgotten. Where would the PL clubs be without their sugardaddys? It's easy to judge other clubs in terms of money, if you have someone who pays everything for you.
If both clubs would sell at least the same amount of shares Bayern did (25 %) they would be debt free tomorrow.

Uefa takes every season over 700 million € of the CL money for themselfs. That money is generated only by the clubs on the field and Uefa takes that money for organizing a tournament. This is not rotten? But yeah, those 2 clubs are the bad guys here, because they want to break out of the mafia structures.

Where is the shitstorm against the rotten uefa? I don't see any, and thats makes everything that happend in the last few days hypocritical in my eyes.
Agreed. Uefa should be looked at too in all of this.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Current owners would be entitled to pocket the amount if they sold any shares?
I don’t think the Spanish ownership system allows them to sell shares and picket the money.

If you’re talking about listed clubs, that’s true. The Glazers can sell shares and pocket the money

Gasolin

It would help if there was a cap on wages and fees. Wasn't part of the esl proposals a percentage cap of 55 percent agreed to be spent on players fees.
It's probably not viable because you'd need every club in Europe agreeing to it but it would be a good thing.
Yeah and that would go against every employment rule in force in Europe in general, and could be challenged. I think what we need more is something like an audit structure. Show us you are fit to compete by having a balanced budget as a minimum, with debt level in check and below a certain %, or your FC license is stripped away for this year, and relegated to the last division.

Or something like that. But these are corporate level restriction based on the budget as opposed to capping expenses.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

Like I've said before, I understand why the Spanish and Italians would want a Super League. They just can't keep up with the English leagues.

Losing players to the likes of Wolves must be galling considering you're FC Porto. But Wolves etc have been put in the positions that they are because English clubs have been doing things the right way, in terms of distribution of TV money at least, for decades.

I don't know about the Portuguese leagues, but the Spanish big two screwed over their fellow clubs and the whole league with their business models and TV deal. Where are the likes of Valencia, Deportivo, etc now?

Some kind of pan European league would probably come into existence in our lifetimes. It's kind of inevitable.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Yeah and that would go against every employment rule in force in Europe in general, and could be challenged. I think what we need more is something like an audit structure. Show us you are fit to compete by having a balanced budget as a minimum, with debt level in check and below a certain %, or your FC license is stripped away for this year, and relegated to the last division.

Or something like that. But these are corporate level restriction based on the budget as opposed to capping expenses.
I see but didn't the esl have as part of the structure, an agreed limit of no more than 55 percent of turnover to be spent on transfers, wages and agents fees etc.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What are their rationalizations?
I lived for 4 years in Spain and met countless Barca and Real fans. The majority seem to think that they actually help the smaller clubs survive by buying players off them. They feel it is how the ecosystem works. The smaller clubs exist so that they can produce players which Real and Barca can pick off, they get money and can continue investing in producing more players, while the top 2 can keep buying the best and staying at the top. That keeps everyone happy according to them. So it really was no surprise to me that Spain was where people seemed most in favor of this league.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I lived for 4 years in Spain and met countless Barca and Real fans. The majority seem to think that they actually help the smaller clubs survive by buying players off them. They feel it is how the ecosystem works. The smaller clubs exist so that they can produce players which Real and Barca can pick off, they get money and can continue investing in producing more players, while the top 2 can keep buying the best and staying at the top. That keeps everyone happy according to them. So it really was no surprise to me that Spain was where people seemed most in favor of this league.
A football trickle down theory.

How delightful.