European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gasolin

I see but didn't the esl have as part of the structure, an agreed limit of no more than 55 percent of turnover to be spent on transfers, wages and agents fees etc.
Who knows, maybe Spain would accept but it could get challenged at every level elsewhere?

Infra-red

I like Carlo and nobody has won more Champions Leagues than him. A well balanced take (although as one of the comments says, he was so angry/surprised about the ESL that he raised both of his eyebrows):

Cal?

CR7 fan
Interesting. Do you have a link to a resource where I can read more about it?
Certainly can’t find it, but my understanding is that these Spanish fans don’t actually each own a share in the club the way shareholders do. They just get to vote on big decisions like the president

passing-wind

Was solely behind innovation of the game to rid of UEFA as an institution from football.

Prague's player gets a 10 game ban for a humans right violation in being racist along with showing no regards for equality. Andre Onana gets a 12 month ban for mistakenly taking the wrong prescription medication which UEFA had acknowledged in the hearing but still issued a more severe punishment for an issue that's of less significance in the grand scheme of things.

If there's a hope after all this super league malarkey it's that a smart individual or group can find a way to undermine UEFA and offer a good alternative which is competitive in business model that can still align the domestic / cup successes.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't know about the Portuguese leagues, but the Spanish big two screwed over their fellow clubs and the whole league with their business models and TV deal. Where are the likes of Valencia, Deportivo, etc now?
Where is Sevilla now? Winning the EL.
It is possible for clubs to be mismanaged. It happens in the PL too. Spain had a horrible financial crisis from 2008 to 2016 and anyone who was unlucky enough to get in trouble around the same time would have struggled to recover.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I think everyone already knew what their stance in this was as a Super League would have been great news for them but still recognize it requires some revisions and a different competitive format.

Giggsyking

Like I've said before, I understand why the Spanish and Italians would want a Super League. They just can't keep up with the English leagues.

Losing players to the likes of Wolves must be galling considering you're FC Porto. But Wolves etc have been put in the positions that they are because English clubs have been doing things the right way, in terms of distribution of TV money at least, for decades.

I don't know about the Portuguese leagues, but the Spanish big two screwed over their fellow clubs and the whole league with their business models and TV deal. Where are the likes of Valencia, Deportivo, etc now?

Some kind of pan European league would probably come into existence in our lifetimes. It's kind of inevitable.
How can a small team Like Wolves make more money in TV rights than a big club like Porto?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Not surprised the Spanish and Italian clubs would choose to die on this hill.

90 + 5min

Comedy from Mes Que Un Club. They and the saviour of football have divided their fanbase like no other. You just need to look at twitter and forums.

I got one advice for those clubs. If you pay big wages / transfers for players without your economy going down you have to rethink about how you lead your companies.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Didn't he say something else last January? :lol:
I'm not sure. I don't believe so, but I don't know really. I know Bartomeu before him pushed for the Super League to become a reality and Laporta basically signed it when he seen the figures involved.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm not sure. I don't believe so, but I don't know really. I know Bartomeu before him pushed for the Super League to become a reality and Laporta basically signed it when he seen the figures involved.

hobbers

Watching Real and Barca go bankrupt is going to be quite enjoyable, not gonna lie.

'We pay our front 3 100m euros per season and can't understand why we're broke.'

SATA

Now that we are not involved anymore, is it wrong to say that i want to see Barca, Real, Juve really form the ESL and play among themselves 20 times a year?

Gavinb33

Barcelona and Real Madrid seeming think they are to big to fail, what they need is to learn some humility and some fiscal responsibility.

Barcelona especially I've been to the Nou Camp fairly recently and its needs the same amount of work if not more than OT, the debt they have doesn't comes from a dodgy takeover like us its just from rank overspending on players and wages which was precisely the thing that FFP was meant to stop.

This is incredibly petty of me but I hope both end up having to sell everyone and lose everything

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm not buying that Barca is in dire trouble either. They're too big to fail, too important for Catalonia.

They'll find some dodgy way to raise money. Maybe a Madrid-esque training ground sale. :lol:

They'll be fine.

LordNinio

Yeah and that would go against every employment rule in force in Europe in general, and could be challenged. I think what we need more is something like an audit structure. Show us you are fit to compete by having a balanced budget as a minimum, with debt level in check and below a certain %, or your FC license is stripped away for this year, and relegated to the last division.

Or something like that. But these are corporate level restriction based on the budget as opposed to capping expenses.
Would it? You're not restricting how much they can give any individual, just a maximum total based on their income. They can give 90% of it to one player if they like

spiriticon

Cmon guys, let's have that El Clasico Superliga.

Don't let me down. I really want to see who finishes top of the league between Real and Barca after 38 matches.

Cloud7

Amazing how far Barcelona have fallen.
Remember when Pep was there and they were the model for all of world football to follow? A team made up mostly of players that came from their academy, conquering the world with a manager that was a former player of the club himself.

Just look at them now. Swimming in debt, overpaying for unnecessary flashy transfers that didn’t work out, and clinging to a self serving idea along with Real Madrid. How low the mighty have fallen.

Manny

Grammar Police
Watching Real and Barca go bankrupt is going to be quite enjoyable, not gonna lie.

'We pay our front 3 100m euros per season and can't understand why we're broke.'
:lol: its true. They're ridiculous

Now looking to the whole of football for a bailout. I think we need a big club to fail. They've been totally irresponsible and it'll be a lesson to others.

Remember when Pep was there and they were the model for all of world football to follow? A team made up mostly of players that came from their academy, conquering the world with a manager that was a former player of the club himself.

Just look at them now. Swimming in debt, overpaying for unnecessary flashy transfers that didn’t work out, and clinging to a self serving idea along with Real Madrid. How low the mighty have fallen.
Will drink to that.

from a petty perspective, their ‘more than a club’ bollocks really pisses me off. They won’t go bust, and I don’t want them too, but being knocked off of their (self appointed) pedestal for a decade would be most welcome.

Cloud7

Will drink to that.

from a petty perspective, their ‘more than a club’ bollocks really pisses me off. They won’t go bust, and I don’t want them too, but being knocked off of their (self appointed) pedestal for a decade would be most welcome.
Having visited Barcelona and learned about the history of their region, I understand the meaning behind the ‘more than a club’ thing, and what it really means to them, so it’s never annoyed me as much as it has other people.

However, there used to be a lot to admire about them as a club and a team and a lot of things I liked about their operation. Most of that is gone now, and they’re little more than Real Madrid in a purple shirt.

Having visited Barcelona and learned about the history of their region, I understand the meaning behind the ‘more than a club’ thing, and what it really means to them, so it’s never annoyed me as much as it has other people.

However, there used to be a lot to admire about them as a club and a team and a lot of things I liked about their operation. Most of that is gone now, and they’re little more than Real Madrid in a purple shirt.
I agree. But that went out the window. As an example, when they had no sponsor on their shirt or when it was for charity - there was something admirable about it.

now it’s bollocks. There’s nothing wrong with monitising the club - just don’t harp on about being better than everyone else, when you’re not… that’s my take.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
I agree. But that went out the window. As an example, when they had no sponsor on their shirt or when it was for charity - there was something admirable about it.

now it’s bollocks. There’s nothing wrong with monitising the club - just don’t harp on about being better than everyone else, when you’re not… that’s my take.
I mean we all saw bartomeu ruin that club in front of our eyes. What can you do when there is a mad man making all decisions?