European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I wouldn’t be against it if they took VAR with them and then the existing leagues didn’t have the money for VAR, I’d probably just watch the existing leagues without actively following anybody then.

Makelele

People are always afraid of change. Let’s see what the actual plans are before calling it the end of football. Anyway, I would be extremely sceptical of anything Sky or anyone else with vested interests paints this as.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Its not a good post because he's literally completely missed the moral aspect to it and the fact that football is not just about 15 teams. The world I live in has people enjoy football at all levels both playing and supporting. Without the money trickling down every team closes down. No more grassroots football. Which is exactly what you see in America no grassroots sports.
100% this. I can't believe a fan of football could support this.

clarkydaz

There has to be a mechanism at our club to have execs fired when they have made such abominable decisions. A vote of no confidence is required. Because they are destroying the ethos of our.club.
its driven by the owners, who gets fired? Even Fergie says he knew nothing about this discussion

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It completely destroys the validity of the champions League that's why and creates a shit tournament that nobody wants.
How exactly? These 15 teams would play all 3 - domestic leagues, CL and ESLs. If they don't qualify for CL, they will just play ESL.

It's just an additional revenue which they want to explore. It has nothing to do with existing domestic leagues or CLs

Ronaldo's Love Child

Again, can you explain how is this a slap in the face ? What exactly is lost here by having an additional tournament?
I don't think a Super League would be an "additional tournament". There is a strong possibility that teams playing in the Super League will be punished by being barred from all domestic competitions and players barred from internationals.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Can we just hold up for just 1 minute?

The UEFA reform of the UCL is awfully similar to the what the ESL are proposing hmmmm:

And what about UEFA’s reformed Champions League?
UEFA wants a new format for the Champions League from 2024, with one 36-team league replacing the current group stage, where every team plays 10 matches.

This is called the ‘Swiss model’.

Under the proposed format, by the time winner has lifted the European Cup, the competition will have produced 100 new games, and the finalists will have played at least 17 matches, four more than under the current system.

Accommodating four additional games in the autumn will be a challenge for most national leagues, however, including in England, where the Carabao Cup would be under threat.

Three of the four extra Champions League places would meanwhile go to clubs based on past performance in Europe, using the UEFA coefficient ranking system.

https://theathletic.com/news/european-super-league-premier-league/i5ilPK1rFttI

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It completely destroys the validity of the champions League that's why and creates a shit tournament that nobody wants.
Yep, as far as I can see it will kill the CL. Its current standing is based on the fact that the best clubs and best players compete in it. Once those clubs and players leave to a rival tournament, the CL slowly (or maybe not that slowly) dies. Because the money will follow those big clubs.

MDFC Manager

True. When you have zero competition and every lad in the country is born dreaming of playing for Bayern and you can just pick any player in the league just by blinking eyes at them, then it's so easy to be good on moral compass
Correct. They must be loving the moral championship they're getting awarded tonight

Mainoldo

Its not a good post because he's literally completely missed the moral aspect to it and the fact that football is not just about 15 teams. The world I live in has people enjoy football at all levels both playing and supporting. Without the money trickling down every team closes down. No more grassroots football. Which is exactly what you see in America no grassroots sports.
They have college sports. Where people from all backgrounds and level of society get a chance to get an education and have a chance to play at the elite national level. So be quiet if you aren’t going to bring anything productive to a debate.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
There has to be a mechanism at our club to have execs fired when they have made such abominable decisions. A vote of no confidence is required. Because they are destroying the ethos of our.club.
The executive is mostly the Glazer family.

kidbob

I ultimately hope this is stopped but that the PL is forced to allow the Saudis buy Newcastle. If this is how things are now then it should be the same rules for everyone.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I don't think a Super League would be an "additional tournament". There is a strong possibility that teams playing in the Super League will be punished by being barred from all domestic competitions and players barred from internationals.
No, that won't fly and we already spoke about that. Noone is banning the clubs or players for participating in an additional tournament.

crossy1686

career ending
When all the big sides feck off to their own sandbox, and the CL basically becomes another EL.

Whole lotta disdain for small leagues/clubs here. I'll leave you to your righteous indignation over football teams daring to compete.
It's a fact. If you want to watch Cluj vs Rosenburg then head over to the Europa league and have a gander there. In the mean time, the clubs that actually have a chance of winning the CL should be competing for the CL. That is the loosest application of daring to compete I've ever seen. It's like bringing a spud gun to the beaches of Normandy on D Day and "competing".

antk

If this happens and the domestic leagues are broken up, next you'll see teams being moved from their original cities to more lucrative markets. I wouldn't be surprised if City played in Abu Dhabi itself.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I see your point, but in football, success usually breeds more success i.e. clubs that "earn their way to the top" usually stay at the top for a long time unless something disruptive happens (like new money injected into other clubs for example).

Effectively United had monopoly over Manchester and Arsenal had monopoly over London until Chelsea & City had serious money injected into their clubs.

Without that money, United & Arsenal would continue to have a chokehold over Manchester and London pretty much permanently.

Btw, I shouldn't have said that I have no respect for your opinion, I think that was rude and uncalled for, so apologies for that.

(I should also add that the PL benefited somewhat from serious investment. We could conceivably have 4 English finalists in European competitions yet again -Arsenal/United/Chelsea/City are all European semi finalists)
I wasn't offended. I'm not easily offended.

However this about making more money and also about taking away some of the advantages that oil clubs have.

If they are serious about the bans, there is no way this can go forward right ? Who would wanna miss out on World Cups ? Euros ? Copa America ? AFCONs ?
Who wants to watch a world cup without any of the best players? It's an empty threat.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Can we just hold up for just 1 minute?

The UEFA reform of the UCL is awfully similar to the what the ESL are proposing hmmmm:

And what about UEFA’s reformed Champions League?
UEFA wants a new format for the Champions League from 2024, with one 36-team league replacing the current group stage, where every team plays 10 matches.

This is called the ‘Swiss model’.

Under the proposed format, by the time winner has lifted the European Cup, the competition will have produced 100 new games, and the finalists will have played at least 17 matches, four more than under the current system.

Accommodating four additional games in the autumn will be a challenge for most national leagues, however, including in England, where the Carabao Cup would be under threat.

Three of the four extra Champions League places would meanwhile go to clubs based on past performance in Europe, using the UEFA coefficient ranking system.

https://theathletic.com/news/european-super-league-premier-league/i5ilPK1rFttI
it is very possible to hate and condemn both plans.

Ronaldo's Love Child

How exactly? These 15 teams would play all 3 - domestic leagues, CL and ESLs. If they don't qualify for CL, they will just play ESL.

It's just an additional revenue which they want to explore. It has nothing to do with existing domestic leagues or CLs
The details aren't out yet but I think you might be missing the point.

The domestic leagues will move heaven and earth to stop this breakaway. The rich clubs do not get to choose which competitions they get to participate in-the domestic leagues will make that decision for them.

I am assuming the rich clubs have considered the possibility that by joining a super league they be burning all bridges with their domestic leagues and players participation in international tournaments.

Crashoutcassius

People are always afraid of change. Let’s see what the actual plans are before calling it the end of football. Anyway, I would be extremely sceptical of anything Sky or anyone else with vested interests paints this as.
I think if you have followed this ove the last couple of years and major idea is that clubs cant be relegated, so that they can get more money more consistently. the rest of the details aren't relevant if that is case