European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DickDastardly

Nothing wil come out of this.

It's just a bit of power struggle leaked in the press.

Which is fine with me, we can't have FIFA and UEFA do all the decision making, something has to be given to the clubs.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Conspiracy! But you know I remember growing up and hearing about people criticizing international football and being a 'nationalist' is now viewed as that silly word people throw around. SO I think it's crazy enough to happen eventually. That greeds pushed through and you'll see big nations lose big players almost sucking dry the international game as a result. This always happens just like the champions league wouldn't just 'co exist'..it would be diluted. Just like the FA Cups been down the years. It wasn't that long ago, it was a major trophy but that's been sucked dry by greed. Of course no money club should be involved, so why would Chelsea or City or perhaps a psg in future be involved at all? If these types of clubs are involved, then it being a 'protest' is a lie and it is in reality because we all know this 'ideas been fermenting well before it's time

DavidDeSchmikes

If it is one big bluff the Premier League should absolutely feck over the 5 teams involved in someway in case they want to repeat it down the line.
It would be naïve from the FA just to move on it if nothing materialises

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Really ? It's supposed to replace CL for these teams actually. UEFA won't allow them to participate in both, because it'll undermine CL and their authority.

Most probably domestic leagues will also follow.
Again, that how I understand. No one has said anything about leaving CL. The issue here is , UEFA isn't getting their share and that's it. It has nothing to do integrity. UEFA doesn't want FIFA to eat all the money with the clubs from Europe.

Makelele

It’s not just a leak lads. You wouldn’t have the prime minister tweeting about it if it was just noise without substance. Quite clearly these plans are ADVANCED already.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Exactly, the question is whether the UEFA will cave once again and what are they going to give up. The last time they added "legacy" prize money based on 10 years coefficient ranking and TV market pool.

El Zoido

Well, mate, surely you can understand that its not some fecking committee made of Ed Woodward, Juan Laporta, Perez, and good aul Silvio that should be making these decisions? I mean surely?
Yes of course, but they’re all crooks as far as I’m concerned, including the current ruling authorities who are so angrily speaking out against this. Game was lost to money long ago.

Drifter

American
Hope the announcement is of them backtracking. But even if they do, The damage is done.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The details aren't out yet but I think you might be missing the point.

The domestic leagues will move heaven and earth to stop this breakaway. The rich clubs do not get to choose which competitions they get to participate in-the domestic leagues will make that decision for them.

I am assuming the rich clubs have considered the possibility that by joining a super league they be burning all bridges with their domestic leagues and players participation in international tournaments.
Seems like you are the one missing the point here. Noone has said anything about leaving the domestic clubs or the current version of CL. People are overreacting.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Look at how much the big clubs in England have been forced to spend to still watch City win 3 of the past 4 PL's, it's monumental sums of cash to be second best*, at best, and it only looks like getting more expensive and more difficult to stick with them. City will dominate until the U.A.E gets bored, that much is clear, it's incredible just how far they have come in such a short time.
Anyone spending those sums previously was guaranteed a title.

Clubs are panicking at how the can continue to attract players with these wages and the fees versus City, PSG and the worry of the likes of Saudi ownership, that's why they are so desperate to guarantee their futures with guaranteed revenues from a Super League.
Why are City and PSG have been asked to join in this then ? Wouldn't their non ending funding still impact the ESL ?

Crashoutcassius

I'm confused. Would there still be promotions in the football league if this was to happen?
it wouldnt affect english football. its just like the CL except some teams automatically qualify every year based on an agreement made setting up the league, so they can be guaranteed more money even if the football team isn't good

Drainy

If it is one big bluff the Premier League should absolutely feck over the 5 teams involved in someway in case they want to repeat it down the line.
Yeah, put them in their place. How dare they try to get a better deal.

They should send the heavies around to really show them who is boss.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yes of course, but they’re all crooks as far as I’m concerned, including the current ruling authorities who are so angrily speaking out against this. Game was lost to money long ago.
Boris spoke in support of FA. I know the game is fecked but if we let this go to just friendly matches between Milan and united whom has been irrelevant then were absolute mugs like.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Why do they have to ruin what is good.

I feel CL is good as it is. Maybe improve it to 64 teams if they want and remove EL.

Although I like having two tournaments to be honest.
Just wish it was straight knockout, of course that would affect TV. The league stages can be boring.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Is it a press conference style announcement on TV or we just expecting something being released on Twitter?

::sonny::

The organization chart

President: florentino perez (real madrid)
Vice President: joel glazer (man united)
Vice President: john henry (liverpool)
Vice President: stan kroenke (arsenal)
Vice President: andrea agnelli (juventus)

Clubs
Real madrid
Barcelona
Atletico madrid
Manchester Utd
Manchester city
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal
Tottenham
Inter
Milan
Juventus

MDFC Manager

Why are City and PSG have been asked to join in this then ? Wouldn't their non ending funding still impact the ESL ?
They wouldn't get nearly the same amount of participation fee that the likes of United or real are likely to get. The big guys will also no doubt have some other rules to suit them

Boavista

The whole problem with City and Chelsea buying the league could have been avoided if the PL imposed a rule stating that clubs could only spend a maximum of 80% of their yearly revenue on players. Academies can only send out a certain number of players on loan. An owner isn't allowed to own more than one club in European football.

Boom, no more artificial clubs.

"But clubs could just cook the books".

My response to that is, it's illegal to do so. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together would see it's dodgy if a club went from making 40M one season to making 300M in commercial revenue the next.

Is that idea too simple to have worked? Basically, owners can't invest money into the club in terms of buying players, but can invest it into infrastructure instead.
It's too simple. Who's to say how much a company (owned by the club owner) thinks a club is worth in terms of sponsorship deals? Especially if the more sponsorship money goes into the club, the more successful and visible it becomes, therefore making the sponsorship more valuable.

Isn't that exactly how FFP was supposed to work, but failed?

el3mel

Again, that how I understand. No one has said anything about leaving CL. The issue here is , UEFA isn't getting their share and that's it. It has nothing to do integrity. UEFA doesn't want FIFA to eat all the money with the clubs from Europe.
The clubs won't leave CL, they'll be kicked out from it. UEFA won't acknowledge this competition by allowing the clubs to play in both and just move on. It undermines them if they allowed these teams to still participate in their own competitions.

And there's no place in the agenda to fit both together anyway. You can't shoehorn the league + domestic cups + CL + this shit competition in one agenda. The clubs will prefer the money offered in this competition more than the less money offered by CL. You're dreaming if you think it's just an added competition to the list. It's supposed to replace the CL all together because these clubs aren't content with its money.

clarkydaz

Sir Alex wouldnt know. He isnt even on the board of directors. There has to be an ability to fire those responsible. The owners wont make this decision unilaterally. It will be considered by senior execs who make the decisions. Who can be fired.
You think this has been decided behind the Glazers back? they are all yes men, one of the Glazers is the vice chairman of the proposed league!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Boris and the salty British press (they who kiss City's arse) with their hypocrisy, make me sick regardless of the situation.

kidbob

In fact the current TV deal is unfair. Why should United share the amount we do with other clubs when its clear we are t
You kind of are by insinuating that their long standing money grab has anything to do with it. The monster has always existed the only thing that prevented it was that the UEFA caved every single time, the difference is that this time what the UEFA offered seemingly isn't enough. I find it problematic that you even start your point with it because it deflects from the historic shadiness of big clubs, we need to stop making excuses or making mitigating factos for the clubs that we love.

I also want to make the off topic point that these same clubs routinely shaft players, knowingly exploit young players when they don't have strong representation and that agents like Mendes and Raiola may be upsetting from the POV of a fan but they are snakes dealing with snakes, football clubs aren't angels and have never been.
Of course these clubs are a huge problem and always have been. I agree with your point on young players but that is for another thread I feel. I think that you hit my nail on the head to be honest. "UEFA have always caved" - that is exactly what I'm talking about. The clubs have always been assholes but UEFA (who apparently run European football) have allowed them to do so. They are meant to be the rulers and the adjudicators but they allowed the 'big' clubs to do what they wanted for ages at the detriment of others. Now the same 'big' clubs are in a position to take their ball and go elsewhere exactly because they were allowed to do what they want for ages by UEFA. For me UEFA has no right to cry about this considering they were the ones with the power to curb this shit but they simply never bothered so now they are reaping what they sowed.

Not to mention their treatment of smaller nations and how they created a monopoly in the CL because it suited them.

Look I hate this idea but in some ways it was inevitable when we have an organisation that failed to keep its members in check.