European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JB7

What do you think people said when the Premier League was about to be launched? Do you not think people kicked off then? Greed, fleecing the fans etc? I wasn't around for it but I've heard plenty of people talk about how those were feelings at the time. I've been in conversations where people have poked fun at themselves for saying it at the time but they now love the league.

I think Neville and Co have just got to so many people. Talk it through, it may be the worst idea ever but let's at least talk it though.
There was a lot of talk about money. But they weren't opening a closed shop, they were essentially taking the top division away from the control of the Football League. The clubs from Division 1 started the Premiership, promotion and relegation remained in place. This is an incredibly lazy comparison I have seen today from people who were not around and frankly it is not comparable in the slightest.

Crustanoid

Whilst the Glazers fleece us, we aren't exactly not invested in. We spent £80 million quid on a defender. I think you're a little disingenuous to suggest we wouldn't see any benefit what so ever. It may not be enough but I don't expect we'd rely on free transfers.
They invest money the club makes because of our history.

They do it to keep us vaguely competitive and therefore keep the money flowing into their pockets. The fact it’s not enough to take us beyond City doesn’t matter to them

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
How is football between two great teams dogshit?
The standard of the overall competition dictates the merits of winning. This is why beating Real Madrid in a pre season friendly in LA means less than it would in the final of the CL.

Are you new to football?

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Can people stop posting bollocks from accounts called things like UnitedStuff and BarcaMania as fact, please.

If there's any news, just have a quick check to see if there's a better source than 'some bell-end on twitter' before everyone gets their knickers knotted.
This. Seeing a lot of crap being posted. I cant see anywhere on BBC the Europa and CL have been postponed or cancelled or whatever but these accounts are spreading that BS

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Whilst the Glazers fleece us, we aren't exactly not invested in. We spent £80 million quid on a defender. I think you're a little disingenuous to suggest we wouldn't see any benefit what so ever. It may not be enough but I don't expect we'd rely on free transfers.
What's the incentive to invest in the best players and scouting? There's no danger of relegation.

All we end up doing is paying even more to our current crap players and maybe add a few more mediocre ones to keep us respectable. Why? Because our Vice-chairment of the Super League, who took 2 years to understand the offside rule, is keeping his mate Woodward (an alumni of JP Morgan by the way...) will be given free reign to keep his rule of incompetence.

And finally, if you think getting a few more million a year is worth destroying the sport in which the club participates, then I'd say we disagree on our principles for watching the sport altogether.

crossy1686

career ending
If nothing changes league wise it certainly isn't the end of the world, but I still don't love the SL format, and I think the negative impact on the league will be noticeable even if we're all still involved in the competition.

But right now we're all in the dark really.
Yeah completely agree. This is my point, we don't know much yet, lets see what happens. The SL won't be perfect but it's better than what we have right now. Should be good entertainment all round

Kounan

The only thing I would feel sorry would be if we are kicked out of the Premierleague, that's it. CL with soon 36 clubs, European Championship with almost all of Europe in (just not my country :D), WC with more and more teams, why should I care. The only difference was that at WC you could watch some "exotic" teams and that's it.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Most of them have formally announced it on their web pages/social media.

Haven't seen United one?

To say I'm devastated at the moment would be an understatement. Desperately hoping something kills this
No, I know that the announcement has been made. I mean we are guessing as to what will actually happen.

Rojofiam

Feels like I've been stabbed through the heart. feck the Glazers, Pérez, Kroenke, etc.

1869 - 2021

Boavista

Something people havent thought about yet...

The idea of inviting 5 new clubs to the super league every year is a stupid joke. In a fantasy world where the Super League get their wish for the clubs to continue playing in national leagues. How are you going to invite 5 teams every year to join the Super League and forsake UEFA competitions, when they won't get any permeance in the Super League?!

They'll join the Super League for one season, then get kicked out, and be fecked out of parallel UEFA competitions. Maybe even banned from them forever.

These 5 invited teams are going to end up being shit teams from out of Europe, I guarenfeckingtee it.
Yeah that's true!

This whole thing is just utterly bizarre. European Super League, we all knew sooner or later something like it might come around. But this is so not thought through, it's laughable

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
What an absolute mess. A closed shop competition not based on merit is a disgrace.

No doubt our **** of an owner was heavily involved.

Can't wait to watch Arsenal get ploughed by Europe's "elite" every Wednesday whilst Stan rakes in the billions.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
For the German clubs this might just be a political necessity. Sell it like they didn't want to, but eventually were forced to join. If their clubs were on that press release today the majority of fans would never forgive the people in charge and probably try to vote them out as soon as possible and of course cancel their memberships or season tickets. This way they can try mitigate that a bit. I have no doubt Bayern will be joining either, as from what I remember it was actually their club lawyer that was exposed to be exploring these options for the other clubs by football leaks.
Crossed my mind, too.

Dinghy

Why won't we still compete and win domestic leagues?

If the money isn't reinvested I'll set myself on first outside Old Trafford like that monk.

So United don't deserve to be there? Would they have offered more than Midjyitland did this CL? Do Midjyitland deserve to be in Europe's elite competition?

I'm sure that in time, the SL will evolve to have an entry and exit requirement, but obviously not in its inception
Who's paying you to write this shit?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
One big worry for the SL is what the long-term plan is for financial growth and sustainability. JP Morgan will given them a large sum for the first few years, and they might get some sponsors or even broadcasters to show their games, but what about after, say, 5 years? How will they grow? What's their plan to prevent financial stagnation?

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to expand the SL and invite more clubs in as members just like MLS already does. In a way, I can see the SL becoming an elaborate Ponzi scheme just like MLS is.

JB7

Why won't we still compete and win domestic leagues?

If the money isn't reinvested I'll set myself on first outside Old Trafford like that monk.

So United don't deserve to be there? Would they have offered more than Midjyitland did this CL? Do Midjyitland deserve to be in Europe's elite competition?

I'm sure that in time, the SL will evolve to have an entry and exit requirement, but obviously not in its inception
Yeah - they won their fecking league which gave them a lot more right to be there than us but don't let that stop you setting yourself on fire it would probably be the highlight of the night.

izec

Why even have team names at all? Why even have teams base themselves in countries and cities?

Each team can just be assigned a random collection of numbers and letters, and to save on all that pesky air travel, they'll all be based on an island, let's call it Football Island, and players are cloned and fed on the embryos of failed clones until the reach maturity and can kick a ball about for all our pleasure.
you are giving them ideas

Raven

FIFA surely need to ban any player from international tournaments, that'll kill this instantly.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm negative? You've said you don't want clubs from smaller nations in the Champions League and you said you don't want players like Grealish at clubs like Villa. Just dismissing the relevance of about 99% of clubs for this tiny cabal.
I don't care what happens to Villa, good luck to them. I don't think teams like Midjyitland should be playing in a competition that's billed for Europe's 'elite' when the couldn't even beat a half decent Championship side.

The Purley King

What do you think people said when the Premier League was about to be launched? Do you not think people kicked off then? Greed, fleecing the fans etc? I wasn't around for it but I've heard plenty of people talk about how those were feelings at the time. I've been in conversations where people have poked fun at themselves for saying it at the time but they now love the league.

I think Neville and Co have just got to so many people. Talk it through, it may be the worst idea ever but let's at least talk it though.
I was alive and a Utd fan of 16 years when the PL arrived and it was absolutely nothing like this.
For fecking obvious reasons.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Cancelling this years CL and Europa must make the players act surely. There must 100s of players with European club clauses in contracts if they win or score in the competitions. Gonna be a legal nightmare.
Pretty sure a super league means a big fat pay rise

Dante

Average bang
I asuume United Zone are just trolling. They seem to be the only source of the most extreme tweets in the last couple of pages.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
We don't have all the information, Sky have led a very one sided debate on the matter and everyone seems to think there's a breakaway forming by American's.

Maybe we should wait a little bit before we start denouncing clubs and shouting about the game being gone?
So you haven't read the official statement? Or the statement from Arsenal, Liverpool and spurs? It's in plain English

Besides which, it's all irrelevant. Our club have signed up to this. No consultation with supporters. Just by signing up they have betrayed every single supporter.

Dortmund, Bayern and PSG have all had the integrity to immediately refuse to join.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Imagine you are Ole, you work so hard, make good progress. All the stress and criticism of managing Man United. You lose 3 semi-finals.

One more Semi Final, you lose because of this.

How can you feel alright with this? It's a disgrace. All that hard work for nothing. It doesn't matter now, take the competition away and go play some glorified friendlies.
If I was him I’d have to speak out. Sack me if you want, I couldn’t go along with it. Today’s game now means nothing, same as every game we’ve played this season. It’s all been building towards feck all, and I feel sorry for Ole the most. He’ll be seething, the club have gone behind his back. They’re doing this with or without him.

Neo_Mufc

I'm very interested how the managers of the clubs will respond to this all.

Pep and Klopp were crying before the league started this year.

crossy1686

career ending
The standard of the overall competition dictates the merits of winning. This is why beating Real Madrid in a pre season friendly in LA means less than it would in the final of the CL.

Are you new to football?
So how is two teams playing in a European Super League the same as a friendly? Strange comparison.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
One big worry for the SL is what the long-term plan is for financial growth and sustainability. JP Morgan will given them a large sum for the first few years, and they might get some sponsors or even broadcasters to show their games, but what about after, say, 5 years? How will they grow? What's their plan to prevent financial stagnation?

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to expand the SL and invite more clubs in as members just like MLS already does. In a way, I can see the SL becoming an elaborate Ponzi scheme just like MLS is.
There will definitely be a second tier at some point I think.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I asuume United Zone are just trolling. They seem to be the only source of the most extreme tweets in the last couple of pages.
Theres a big official statement mate and Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs have all released statements confirming their joining.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Sponsorship money, ticket prices for match going fans,...., like in the NBA. There is still a lot of money in the game.
You still don't get it. The Glazers want to maximise returns. If they make more money by buying good players, instead of the stars, they'll do that because they'll get the same or very similar payment from the Super League.

And in the end, what's the point? We'll win some soulless, plastic competition with no history? feck that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
West Ham 9 points clear in the lead should the big 6 get kicked out and their matches scrubbed from the records. Never thought we could win the league, even in a situation like this. Sure we will still manage to Keegan even that though!
:lol:

Okey

Feels like I've been stabbed through the heart. feck the Glazers, Pérez, Kroenke, etc.

1869 - 2021
That's exactly how I feel. A bunch of greedy men have banded together to try and destroy our game and sacrifice it on the altar of cash. This can't be allowed to happen. Fans, National associations, other clubs, the resistance has to be unyielding. They couldn't even wait for this season to end??? Suddenly I'm not sure what we're playing for the next few weeks.