Evan Ferguson - Top Irish Prospect

next_number_seven

He would. This guy is ahead of the growth curve that Wayne Rooney was on by the time they reached the same number of senior appearances.

For comparison's sake, Rooney had 8 goals in 37 appearances in his first season at Everton while Ferguson is already on 14 goals after 33 total appearances for BHA (he was injured for a while last season too).
He's not as good as Rooney despite his stats being better. Rooney was often the best player on the pitch at 17 and 18.
So explosive and exciting.

People forget how good Rooney was at that age. He was considered the best talent since Gazza and would end up an all time great like Pele or Maradona.

podurban2

18 years old. Wish United could sign him, long time Ireland had this level of talent.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I like him I think he can have a very good career but he’s nothing like Rooney.

He’s more of a 22 yo Kane than any form of Rooney.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Looks a really interesting prospect. He doesn’t have that X or wow factor you look for in an emerging star, instead he just has a really good all round game. Incredibly mature footballing wise for his age and a very composed finisher. He’s good in every aspect of the game. If he keeps working hard and getting as many games as he has, he could be a big star moving forwards. Very complete striker already.

And to be clear, me saying he doesn’t have the x or wow factor, is actually a compliment. He’s not a one trick pony that relies on his physicality or his pace, or his timing of runs. He’s just really, really well rounded and good at everything.

next_number_seven

Looks a really interesting prospect. He doesn’t have that X or wow factor you look for in an emerging star, instead he just has a really good all round game. Incredibly mature footballing wise for his age and a very composed finisher. He’s good in every aspect of the game. If he keeps working hard and getting as many games as he has, he could be a big star moving forwards. Very complete striker already.

And to be clear, me saying he doesn’t have the x or wow factor, is actually a compliment. He’s not a one trick pony that relies on his physicality or his pace, or his timing of runs. He’s just really, really well rounded and good at everything.
100%.
He seems to have a bit of everything.

Righteous Steps

He would. This guy is ahead of the growth curve that Wayne Rooney was on by the time they reached the same number of senior appearances.

For comparison's sake, Rooney had 8 goals in 37 appearances in his first season at Everton while Ferguson is already on 14 goals after 33 total appearances for BHA (he was injured for a while last season too).
Rooney was an all round force though, he was barely a striker at that point. I haven’t seen a British(or Irish) talent like young Rooney since and doubt we will for a very long time.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Actually really excited. We could have a genuine world class striker up front for us for the next 10 years.

Yes, McClean will be supplying him but still though.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
As always when he has a decent game, the same cycle of chat continues - I’m not complaining though!

Facts, sadly for fans of numerous clubs, do still apply regardless of excitement. For instance, the fact that he would cost in excess of £100m, and likely a lot more, and there are only a very small handful of clubs in the world who would be able/willing to spend that on one player. Let alone one still in his teens come next summer.

I can’t see Manchester United spending £150m on him next summer.

OverratedOpinion

I like him I think he can have a very good career but he’s nothing like Rooney.

He’s more of a 22 yo Kane than any form of Rooney.
This is a very good comparison.

I can understand the comparisons with Rooney as he is an excellent young striker with incredible physicality for his age. Rooney is the best 18 year old I have ever seen in England though.

I still remember us playing against Everton and him just dribbling through our team at will with top class players just bouncing off him.

LDUred

He is the real deal. Stay injury free and he will be bagging 20 a season before long.

next_number_seven

He actually reminds me of Kevin Davies a little. Not sure why.

Kane is probably the best comparison.
I remember when Kane broke through, people weren't sure if he was just a one season wonder.
I think people were saying he wasn't particularly good at any one thing.
But the key to Kane was that he had a bit of everything.

Hammondo

Only seen the goals, but the first goal he couldn't miss, the 3rd goal was a massive deflection, second goal was very nice though. Some go overboard for little, he looks good but miles away from Rooney or that level.

Ted Lasso

Is he related to Sir Alex? Maybe he can do us a favor in helping sign him.
I know

next_number_seven

Only seen the goals, but the first goal he couldn't miss, the 3rd goal was a massive deflection, second goal was very nice though. Some go overboard for little, he looks good but miles away from Rooney or that level.
The first goal was good anticipation and yes he could miss.
It's easy to criticise but we're struggling for goals.
How many hat tricks has Martial scored for us?

He definitely has the potential to be at Kane's or Lewandowski's level.
Different player to Rooney.

Hammondo

The first goal was good anticipation and yes he could miss.
It's easy to criticise but we're struggling for goals.
How many hat tricks has Martial scored for us?

He definitely has the potential to be at Kane's or Lewandowski's level.
Different player to Rooney.
I think our standards are low if we think that first goal was anything other than easy.

forevrared

Have to wonder if we pulled out of chasing Kane with an eye on this fella a year or two down the line. He'll likely cost more than Caicedo, but he's a United fan -- so if we can afford him, then surely we're in with a good chance.

marktan

Yeah he's good for an 18 year old but there's nothing special to his game yet. Second goal also was very nicely placed but he had no pressure on him at all during the whole run. People comparing him to Kane or as an alternative to Kane are a mile off. And yes I know Kane was nowhere at 18 but very few strikers have his trajectory.

I'm not the biggest fan of Hojlund at the price we paid but I think Hojlund is on a similar level / potentially has more to his game, but is weaker with his finishing.

What people need to always remember is that players playing for a highly attacking team that create a lot of chances will always get more goals then say an attacker playing for Bournemouth. We made the same mistake with Sancho. Even Antony to an extent.

justboy68

It kills me that we don’t have this lad. How is a top Irish prospect not at United?! It just ain’t right.

renatosanches85

I think our standards are low if we think that first goal was anything other than easy.
I think you’re missing the point, it’s not how difficult the finish was; it’s the anticipation to be in the right place, coming back to make sure he’s onside. We don’t have anyone like that, you can be sure Martial would have been on his heels.

Teja

Don't understand how Welbeck, Joao Pedro etc. start ahead of him. It seems like he's good enough to start for Brighton.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
His Rooney against Fenerbahce moment.
The clean striking, power and control very much reminded me of Rooney. I know you refer to it being an announcement hatrick, but the way he executed was so crisp and clearly within his remit - the long-range goal especially.

Looks an undeniable talent. £100m or anything near it isn't going to land him; will be a Rooneyesque fee adjusted for inflation, too.

Last edited: