Evans/Cisse - Spitgate

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I really hope there isn't someone who's surprised that both players are charged. Plus, Evans' statement is a joke. Deservedly so, which is unfortunate as I heard he had a really good game against Newcastle.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Personally, I think both should be issued handbags and given a rematch. It would save all the banning stuff.

Devil may care

It's some poor quality spitting to be fair, complete lack of substance in the gobbery and very little visual impact, 4/10.

montpelier

I've got a t-shirt here, says it was a complete accident, very unlucky. Who hasn't had some phlegm accidentally eject from time to time? Also, the FA are clearly out to get us.

dsch

I think there's some doubt about whether Evans meant it, but I don't see the FA banning Cisse and not Evans.

montpelier

I think there's some doubt about whether Evans meant it, but I don't see the FA banning Cisse and not Evans.
I think that's the least likely outcome by quite a long way, tbh. I know they're hopeless but there must be limits. I understand what you say about Evans possibly not meaning it but the evidence is pretty damning.

ChaddyP

I dont think Evans meant it, Cisse thought he did, and spat back at him, not sure Evans even realised this at the time. I do however find it strange that Evans had no clue about this till after the match, as Cisse looked quite upset and surely would have mentioned it in their 10 minute conversation after the incident on the pitch

Scrumpet

There are no words
Evans might have gotten away with it if Cisse hadn't returned the favour, easy decision for the FA to throw the book at the pair of them.

mu4c_20le

I saw it live, saw the replays, looked at the gif again, I still don't think he was spitting at Cisse, although the action of spitting near him is pretty bad, and he will probably be punished if they charge Cisse. He spat out of instinct as he was getting up, like most footballers do. He wasn't thinking, but he also wasn't intentionally being nasty.

ChrisG11

If he was going to get six games he may as well gone the full way and bitten him.

Crumpsall Red

This is bullshit, there is no way Evans spat at Cisse. He just spat on the floor. You could tell last night that the commentators and the pundits wanted to make a big deal out of it.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
This is bullshit, there is no way Evans spat at Cisse. He just spat on the floor. You could tell last night that the commentators and the pundits wanted to make a big deal out of it.
Spat on the ground? The ground where Cisse was standing up from and had been there for the last few seconds? He couldn't have waited? He couldn't have spit elsewhere.

Nah don't buy it. I don't care that he's 'not that kind of guy' either. That means absolutely nothing.

Both guilty.

Drifter

American
Hate that word saga as well as putting the word gate after every trivial story.

buckooo1978

I don't think Evans is the kind of player to spit at a player

despite this when you are 2 feet away from another player even spitting on the ground between you is out of order

did he mean it as an insult?

silly boy and if he gets banned he can have no excuse

Oo0AahCantona

are all the players going to rally around evans with warmup t shirts at the next game?

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I like Evans and hope he doesn't get banned but he can have a nasty streak in him as Drogba knows :devil:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Whilst its near impossible to defend, I don't think evans meant to spit on him.
I agree, exactly this.

At least, that's how its looked on every replay that I've seen. Evans had a mouth full of suliva and spat in surprise.

If he "spat" it was the most pathetic spit of all time.

humdinger

I'm inclined to give Evans the benefit of the doubt, but ultimately he did spit in Cisse's direction during a flash point so it is completely understandable that some people will think he did mean to do it. There is little doubt that Cisse took it as a deliberate act and as he was always going to be punished it's not surprising Evans is being charged too.

I do also agree that as unsavoury as spitting is, a 6 match ban is bonkers when you compare it to a 3 match ban for violent conduct/bad tackle, but the rules are in place so should be applied consistently.

Utd7

I'm surprised there wasn't a physical altercation. Where I'm from, you spit on someone and it's an automatic fight.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
What a fecking muppet Evans is...of course he spat at Cisse it's as clear as day so his statement is bollox. Fact is Cisse wouldn't have spat if Evans hadn't.

3 match ban for both but it should be 4 for Evans.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
6 matches is ridiculous when you compare it against Suarez's racism and biting.

Didn't George Boyd get a mere 3 match ban for spitting against Man City?
Although I thought that was harsh, and a tiny bit of spit came out when he was busy using the f bomb!