Evans/Cisse - Spitgate

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
The 8 should be more. I Chelsea's fans are banned from the ground for life for racial abuse why isn't their captain?
They were repeating it over and over. Also they were stopping him doing something which covers further illegalities.

ottosec

7 games for spitting... wow

If he would have broken his leg, he would probably get half of that.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
7 games is way too much. Spitting doesn't get you incarcerated but biting someone, being a racist or headbutting someone might.

How come they get charged at all? The ref "sorted it out". What kind of a grey area are the FA working with here?

Sam

7 games :lol::lol:

Thats 3 more then Terry got for racial abuse, and only 1 less then Surarez. Mental.

Shark

@NotShark
I honestly don't rate Evans, so it's not terribly disheartening news. Still, it's pretty harsh.

Sam

Where the feck did they pluck 7 from anyway?

God knows what Jonny will get, probably 22.5.

El Zoido

It's a long ban just for spitting, you could end someone's career and get less. I don't have anything against lengthy bans but they should at least be proportionate.

Zoo

They are following FIFA protocol, 6 games for spitting so fair enough. I just don't get how they can prove that it was intentional from Evans. It looks like he'll have no choice but to accept the ban.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
What's the procedure anyway? I mean, if he's firm in his denial about intent to spit? In short, I want independent tribunal. :wenger:

Brophs

The One and Only
George Boyd got 3 games for spitting earlier in the season, didn't he?

naturalized

Supports
nufc
That's this season basically over, then.

What a crap night all round.

Zoo

George Boyd got 3 games for spitting earlier in the season, didn't he?
That was last season. The FA changed it to follow FIFA guidelines at the start of this season.

Brophs

The One and Only
That was last season. The FA changed it to follow FIFA guidelines at the start of this season.
Ah right. 6 games for that, relative to other bans, is utter nonsense.

darko

This is bullshit, there is no way Evans spat at Cisse. He just spat on the floor. You could tell last night that the commentators and the pundits wanted to make a big deal out of it.
I don't think Evans was fully committed to really planting one on Cissee, but I have to say he did spit really close to him and and I'm sure some spray hit him. I guess there's no leeway as to the severity of the spit. I would say 3 matches would be fairer but I don't think the rule is flexible. I don't understand way Cissee wasn't punished for his initial foul. frankly, I thought that the officials made plenty of poor decisions.

GloryHunter07

I dont want spitters at my club, hard to understand why Evans would do that at that specific time. Deserves punishment.

How not to keep your job at United.

Idiot.

DocRockter

This is beyond absurd... Think about this in Newcastle's perspective: You lose your best striker for basically rest of the season for this. Evans didn't injure himself or even anything close to it. I bet the FA will issue some bullshit "hurt the image of the game" .. memo out of this..

saivet

7 games :lol: fecking hell. Evans will probably get 6 games then.

I find spitting at someone absolutely vile but 6 games for it is too much

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Is spitting worse than a career threatening reckless challenge which generally gets a 3 match ban?

Iron Stove

This season has been a disaster for Evans. He actually looked decent yesterday and now this..

Sam

According to Keown spitting is worse then biting someone because....its more deliberate and insulting :lol:

You couldn't make it up.

matt23

Is spitting worse than a career threatening reckless challenge which generally gets a 3 match ban?
It terms of the example set to the general public yes, definitely. Mistimed tackles and injuries are unfortunately part of the game. Releasing body fluids in the general direction of a fellow professional is disgusting, and has nothing to do with competitive edge.

Even if Evans didn't mean to spit at him, I would argue that it's his responsibility to take more care not to spit at someone.

pauldyson1uk

This is bullshit, there is no way Evans spat at Cisse. He just spat on the floor. You could tell last night that the commentators and the pundits wanted to make a big deal out of it.
come on take you red glasses off, OK so he did not spit ON him , but he clearly spat AT him , there is no defence for his action , he knows he spat and should just admit it and take hin ban, sadly in all this the worst offender is the only one with balls to admit he was wrong.

Jaytay

Spat on the ground? The ground where Cisse was standing up from and had been there for the last few seconds? He couldn't have waited? He couldn't have spit elsewhere.

Nah don't buy it. I don't care that he's 'not that kind of guy' either. That means absolutely nothing.

Both guilty.
Totally agree, I would of decked Evans. He knew what he was doing and is chatting poo. Cisse wouldn't have spat at him if Evans didn't spit first.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
According to Keown spitting is worse then biting someone because....its more deliberate and insulting :lol:

You couldn't make it up.
He is kind of right, you bite in something or someone because you find a tasty, it's flattering; and you can't control your taste, it can't be deliberate.

starman

:lol: 7 games is farcical.

3 seems about right with Evans getting 4, given he started it and has basically lied, where as at least Cisse came out with statement condemning what he did.