Evans/Cisse - Spitgate

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
This is more of a spat than a saga i'd have thought.

And i do trust that at least one of the nationals used the headline "SpitToon".

Kakeru

That whole mess could have been so easily avoided if that pussy of a referee blew his whistle and called the foul against Cisse. It was his reckless challenge (the stamp on the ankle) that went uncalled and sparked that mess.

I agree with most of the people here. It's ridiculous to ban someone for that long on such stuff while there are sadistic animals out there who should get more for their extremely dangerous tackles.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Disappointed that Evans hasn't come out and apologized.

I really like him but he deserves what he gets.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
The rules in todays game are absurd.
The rules are the same for everyone, Cisse has been punished also the same amount. The penalty is no different today than it was last month before Johnny Evans decided to spit on an opponent. We have nothing to complain about except the idiot wearing a Manchester United shirt trying to claim he didn't spit on the person who already admitted to spitting back on him in retaliation.

I think he should feel lucky that no one has tried to claim it was racist

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The rules are the same for everyone, Cisse has been punished also the same amount. The penalty is no different today than it was last month before Johnny Evans decided to spit on an opponent. We have nothing to complain about except the idiot wearing a Manchester United shirt trying to claim he didn't spit on the person who already admitted to spitting back on him in retaliation.

I think he should feel lucky that no one has tried to claim it was racist
The punishments don't fit the crime. This is why the rules are absurd. I have no qualms with the 6 match ban (although I think that's excessive) but when you look at other scenarios and their punishments then you soon come to the conclusion that Uefa really have a botched system. Racist abuse currently comes with a 5 match ban for example. I can't comprehend how a career ending tackle could be given a shorter ban that someone spitting at another player. That is a farce.

The punishment has to fit the crime and I don't think it does at the moment.

MarkC

Think Evans was trying to contain his rage and led to him doing something stupid kids do. The lesson here is he should have just punched the cnut and he would have been back in 3 games.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Think Evans was trying to contain his rage and led to him doing something stupid kids do. The lesson here is he should have just punched the cnut and he would have been back in 3 games.
You never, ever spit at someone! Ever!

It makes you look like a low life and is wrong on so many levels. He deserves his banning and I say, f**k him!

slir32

Problem with that is Evans would have been sent off leaving us with 10 men and likely 3 points dropped.

MarkC

Problem with that is Evans would have been sent off leaving us with 10 men and likely 3 points dropped.
Obviously from our point of view i'd rather he'd done neither but from his point of view he would have been better of which is clearly isn't right. There should be a criteria for certain offences rather than just the random punishments the F.A seem to dish out that way there is at least a bit of consistency. The media always seem to have a big influence on them as well.

If Evans gets banned up until May like Cisse and it is likely to be longer if he contests it which he will have to now, you wonder if that will be the end for him here he will have very little time to make up for it.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
7 games over that, bit of a joke really. If you lash out and kick someone off the ball, you get far less. Yet spit and they throw the book at you. Spitting really should have been 2-3 games tops, an intentially lashing out at someone should carry the 6-7 match penalty. Not the other way around :houllier:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The strange thing is that had Cisse not spat back, I think Evans would have been given the benefit of the doubt. As it was, Cisse's retaliation meant that the FA had to treat Evans as guilty as Cisse's was acting on that assumption.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
The strange thing is that had Cisse not spat back, I think Evans would have been given the benefit of the doubt. As it was, Cisse's retaliation meant that the FA had to treat Evans as guilty as Cisse's was acting on that assumption.
I will be extremely surprised if the FA hand out any less than a 6 game ban for Evans.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
A 6 game ban for spitting is ridiculous!!!!! :lol::houllier:
If that gives you a 6 game ban then horrible fouls or racism must get you a 15 game ban.

Well done to Cisse.
I'm disappointed that Evans hasn't apologized.....he has made a mistake and should see his mistake.

pauldyson1uk

The FA have not plucked 6 matches out of mid air , it is a ruling from FIFA about spitting , that FA agreed to.
Any player found guilty of it must be banned for 6 games and Cisse gets an extra game for a previous charge.
I full expect Evans to get 6 games and if he appeals an extra games for making the frivolous appeal.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Evans should ask for a trial by combat.

SqueakyWeasel

The FA have not plucked 6 matches out of mid air , it is a ruling from FIFA about spitting , that FA agreed to.
Any player found guilty of it must be banned for 6 games and Cisse gets an extra game for a previous charge.
I full expect Evans to get 6 games and if he appeals an extra games for making the frivolous appeal.
Is that something new or over and above the rules because they state that if the referee had seen the offence it's a sending off offence … why because it's retrospective should it be punished more severely?
FIFA Rules: Section 1 §47 (page 29) http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/50/02/75/discoinhalte.pdf

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I can see why it's six games, spitting at someone is such a bitch thing to do, it's fecking disgusting and demeaning.

If you feel that way about a someone in any given situation in a game of football you need help, it's just macho posturing in the most scummy, pathetic wimpy way possible.

This just like the bro downs with getting in another players face is just another way of saying, "man I would totally fight you if i wasn't such a fecking pussy".

Revan

Assumptionman
No sympathy for either of them, they deserve whatever is thrown at them.

Just because they're millionaires, doesn't mean that idiocity should be tolerated. And yeah, they behaved like idiots.

The arguments 'but spitting isn't as bad as bad fouls' or 'they cannot prove that Evans wanted to spit on Cisse' are the sort of arguments RAWK provided for Suarez (bitting and racism). And we all laughed at it. Hypocrisy at its finest!

Evans would probably get more for doing a Suarez and saying that it wasn't deliberate. He should have apologized similar to Cisse.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
The arguments 'but spitting isn't as bad as bad fouls' or 'they cannot prove that Evans wanted to spit on Cisse' are the sort of arguments RAWK provided for Suarez (bitting and racism). And we all laughed at it. Hypocrisy at its finest!
Well, of course you can see the intent in biting. A bit incomparable.

And as for Evra case, plenty of people waited until the end of the tribunal.

Revan

Assumptionman
Well, of course you can see the intent in biting. A bit incomparable.

And as for Evra case, plenty of people waited until the end of the tribunal.
I meant 'how they can prove that Suarez racially abused Evra' is similar to 'how they can prove that Evans deliberately spit on Cisse' and
'bitting getting a harsher punishment than breaking someone's leg :lol:' with 'spitting getting a harsher punishment than breaking someone's leg :lol:'.

Ananke

6 games sounds about right.

I know it's not as serious as some other offences but if it's treated lightly, you have to think how the public/other players will perceive that.

Spitting is disgusting and demeaning as someone has said. When you spit at someone you're saying 'i dont respect you, you're flith and below me'. It's so unsportsmanlike.

Im quite anoyed evans hasnt come out and apologised. Sorry but even what he has said is true and feels he never spat at cisse, you'd take a good look at the videos and see how it looks, realise how stupid you'll look if you deny it, and just admit it instead.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Im quite anoyed evans hasnt come out and apologised.
Me too but for some reason I'm not surprised. Idiotic behaviour on the pitch and foolhardy actions off it now. Man up, say you fecked up, take your punishment and he should've been advised by the club to do just that after reviewing the footage.

A shame as he was having one of his sporadically good games but this is a serious lack of discipline that only adds to growing accusations of him being a liability. An annoying player all round really and I do wish he'd feck off out of it.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Evans has come out and said he didn't spit at Cisse but at the ground. Not sure why people are demanding he apologise for something he has refused to admit to do doing. Personally I'm not convinced he deliberately spat at Cisse and so banning someone for 6 games when you're not sure seems pretty harsh.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Evans has come out and said he didn't spit at Cisse but at the ground. Not sure why people are demanding he apologise for something he has refused to admit to do doing. Personally I'm not convinced he deliberately spat at Cisse and so banning someone for 6 games when you're not sure seems pretty harsh.
Well, exactly. But this is Jonny Evans we're talking about. At the club since he was a kid. United through and through but, crucially, not an expensive foreign import. So feck him, basically. Hopefully he's banned for life.

Mali_Zeus

Agreed. But it's now set a precedent. If this is the punishment in this case surely the FA will have to be consistent with subsequent spitting cases?
I posted that already but its baffling the guy who broke Eduardo's leg got 3 games and spitting is charged with 7 games..

Kag

Well, exactly. But this is Jonny Evans we're talking about. At the club since he was a kid. United through and through but, crucially, not an expensive foreign import. So feck him, basically. Hopefully he's banned for life.
Come on, he spat in Cisse's direction. It was a stupid thing to do and I don't think nationality has any bearing on that. Whether it be Rooney, De Gea, Blind or Fellaini the upcoming ban merited.

Well, a three game ban anyway. Six or seven is farcical, but this is the FA we're talking about.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Come on, he spat in Cisse's direction. It was a stupid thing to do and I don't think nationality has any bearing on that. Whether it be Rooney, De Gea, Blind or Fellaini the upcoming ban merited.

Well, a three game ban anyway. Six or seven is farcical, but this is the FA we're talking about.
I think there's a big element of doubt as to whether he spat in Cisse's direction or on the ground between them. He's being judged on a 2D image shot from a long way away. Almost impossible to be certain what sort of trajectory the spit took out of his mouth. My personal inclination is to give him the benefit of any doubt. Particularly for a player who doesn't have any previous.

I'm not too fussed whether or not anyone thinks a ban is merited. What bothers me is the barely contained relish with which a lot of posters are talking about lengthy bans. I suspect those sort of comments would be notably absent if it was certain other members of our squad in the same situation.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Still don't understand people saying he spat on the floor. Cisse is getting up off the floor when he spits.

I'm just going to keep spitting and if you get in the way, that's you're fault.
He did spit on the floor didn't he? The spit didn't seem to hit Cisse so I'm assuming that it hit the floor