Everton deducted 10 points for PSR breach (reduced to 6) | Deducted further 2 points for second breach

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Shit.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3788486#:~:text=An independent Commission has imposed,and Sustainability Rules (PSRs).

An independent Commission has imposed an immediate deduction of 10 points on Everton FC for a breach of the Premier League’s Profitability and Sustainability Rules (PSRs).

The Premier League issued a complaint against the Club and referred the case to an independent Commission earlier this year. During the proceedings, the Club admitted it was in breach of the PSRs for the period ending Season 2021/22 but the extent of the breach remained in dispute.

Following a five-day hearing last month, the Commission determined that Everton FC’s PSR Calculation for the relevant period resulted in a loss of £124.5million, as contended by the Premier League, which exceeded the threshold of £105million permitted under the PSRs. The Commission concluded that a sporting sanction in the form of a 10-point deduction should be imposed. That sanction has immediate effect.

Click here to read the independent Commission’s full written reasons.

Click here to read a further decision by the Chair of the Commission, dated 9 May 2023, regarding applications from Leicester City FC, Burnley FC, Southampton FC, Leeds United FC and Nottingham Forest FC.

Commissions are independent of the Premier League and member Clubs. The members of the Commission were appointed by the independent Chair of the Premier League Judicial Panel, in accordance with Premier League Rules W.19, W.20 and W.26.
So Everton says they will appeal. I thought decisions made by the panel were not appealable?

Tender Teacher

These Premier League FFP rules are turning into an almighty mess.

Clubs taddling on each other in secret and public, new allegations of wrongdoing surfacing every other week, the Premier League's weak leadership being pulled in every direction.

Why the Premier League ever wanted to take the burden of responsibility away from UEFA for FFP is mind-boggling.

Rex Banner

Am I right in thinking the deduction could have happened last season? That's a silver lining at least. I still think they'll stay up but it's a big lifeline for Luton, Sheffield United and Burnley.

TheLiverBird

Are they worse than:

Sheffield
Luton
Burnley

my answer would be no, far far from it,

they’ll be absolutely fine

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We could still be out of the relegation zone with a win in the next game. It's lucky we started to pick up form recently and aren't languishing at the bottom.

Very very interested to see how other procedures go now.
Yeah, if this had been in either of the past two seasons you'd be fecked.

Now you're actually decent and there are 4 very shit teams in the league, you'll be fine.

MonkeysMagic

Shitty can teach Teflon Tony a thing or two! How they manage to avoid serious sanctions when everyone (including their non-deluded fans if they have any) knows their guilt.

Eric_the_Red99

Begs the question, why have we been made an example of and not others?
It’s the same logic behind the saying that if you owe your bank £100,000, you have problem, whereas if you owe your bank £100 million, the bank has a problem.

If they give City - the treble winners, the poster boys for the league - the punishment they obviously deserve, that will have serious ramifications for the league and English football. Whereas with Everton - who’s Everton?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
They're fine they'll stay up. If I were city though I'd be fecking shitting it.

hobbers

Good that there's a precedent set for big point deductions. Now apply that linearly to City and dock them 200 points that they have to work off season after season.

Everton wont be relegated either. They'll easily finish above Sheffield, Luton and Burnley.

Blood Mage

Absolutely disgusting to see a powerless club like Everton made an example of while City and Chelsea will almost certainly get away with it. I sometimes wonder why we all love such a corrupt sport so much.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It’s the same logic behind the saying that if you owe your bank £100,000, you have problem, whereas if you owe your bank £100 million, the bank has a problem.

If they give City - the treble winners, the poster boys for the league - the punishment they obviously deserve, that will have serious ramifications for the league and English football. Whereas with Everton - who’s Everton?
you're making it sound like we are a tinpot club with no history.

littlepeasoup

Thing is, I don't actually think anyone gives a f*ck about City - which is itself part of the problem, people are generally apathetic towards them. Now, if it was us with 115 charges to our name, that'd be a different story.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Absolutely disgusting to see a powerless club like Everton made an example of while City and Chelsea will almost certainly get away with it. I sometimes wonder why we all love such a corrupt sport so much.
Chelsea and Man United have already been fined for FFP stuff this season.

It's Man City's turn next.

TheReligion

Abusive
@TheReligion Don't think this is bad news for us. Think we will just try and expedite the process and get a points deduction in this season. We aren't challenging this year and top 4 seems a stretch so might as well take our punishment asap.
yeah agreed although isn’t it suggested you need CL football due to FFP ?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Thats them relegated
Not at all. They'll be fine. The promoted teams are that bad that one win gets them out of the relegation zone. Good season to take a 10 pointer.

Also going by this precedent then City and Chelsea are gonna be relegated several leagues right and have to hand back all their ill gotten gains?

TheReligion

Abusive
Chelsea and Man United have already been fined for FFP stuff this season.

It's Man City's turn next.
And Chelsea have been caught out before and transfer banned.

There’s likely more punishment due following the news the past few days too.

didz

Can they appeal this?
Yeah, and they are.

"Everton Football Club is both shocked and disappointed by the ruling of the Premier League’s commission.

“The club believes that the commission has imposed a wholly disproportionate and unjust sporting sanction. The club has already communicated its intention to appeal the decision to the Premier League. The appeal process will now commence and the club’s case will be heard by an appeal board appointed pursuant to the Premier League’s rules in due course.

“Everton maintains that it has been open and transparent in the information it has provided to the Premier League and that it has always respected the integrity of the process. The club does not recognise the finding that it failed to act with the utmost good faith and it does not understand this to have been an allegation made by the Premier League during the course of proceedings. Both the harshness and severity of the sanction imposed by the commission are neither a fair nor a reasonable reflection of the evidence submitted.

“The club will also monitor with great interest the decisions made in any other cases concerning the Premier League’s profit and sustainability rules. Everton cannot comment on this matter any further until the appeal process has concluded"

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
They will appeal and probably get the deduction reduced to 8 points.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Am I right in thinking the deduction could have happened last season? That's a silver lining at least. I still think they'll stay up but it's a big lifeline for Luton, Sheffield United and Burnley.
They're all very poor but they all actually have winnable games coming up. Sheffield United got Bournemouth and Luton at home and Burnley away all up to boxing day so straight away huge six pointers there so one team in the bottom area will get 2-3 wins in next two months imo.

Everton will be hoping that's Bournemouth pulling away from the bottom.

10 points deduction is same as if you go into administration so I can only guess the panel think they dodged admin by the "creative accounting" with their FFP accounts during covid period so have slapped them with it now but this feels very much like an appeal they'll just keep lodging with independent courts if that's allowed?