F1 2019 season

Member 90887

239 races
86 pole positions
80 wins
143 podiums
3,241 career points

5 times world champion , broke most records there is to break , 6 British wins, more than any other driver , his result really dont flatter him.
He does not just sit in and drive , he has massive input in to the team, always getting them to improve things.
Career points are irrelevant as they changed over the years and there are more races as well.

He had 6 years with Mercedes. Roughly, around 60 of his 86 pole positions were with Mercedes in 6 years. he had 26 in 6 years with McLaren.

For me he is and as i said before, Schumi is as well. when you have a car that's destroying the field and doing the work for you and when the only person that can stop you is your teamate which your team has choosen to be more like your wing man than your competitor, the results that you get are flattering.

I'm not saying he's not good. he's one of the best of his generation. But you have to be a die hard Lewis fan to not see that his results flatter him.

RedFish

Career points are irrelevant as they changed over the years and there are more races as well.

He had 6 years with Mercedes. Roughly, around 60 of his 86 pole positions were with Mercedes in 6 years. he had 26 in 6 years with McLaren.

For me he is and as i said before, Schumi is as well. when you have a car that's destroying the field and doing the work for you and when the only person that can stop you is your teamate which your team has choosen to be more like your wing man than your competitor, the results that you get are flattering.

I'm not saying he's not good. he's one of the best of his generation. But you have to be a die hard Lewis fan to not see that his results flatter him.
Best of his generation? He's got a good chance of winning the GOAT debate after he calls it a day.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
First trip to Silverstone this year, amazing experience! Just sad now I didn't go back in the 90s.

Seeing Vettel blunder into Verstappen right in front of me was a highlight.

0le

The car no doubtly helps, but last year, both Ferrari drivers and the Red Bull driver (Max) beat Bottas so the car last year certainly wasn't "destroying the field". The driving of Lewis put pressure on his challenger, Vettel, and caused him to make mistakes. I'm not a F1 historian but I bet the previous world championship drivers all raced in very competitive cars. Has there ever been a driver who won a world championship with what was clearly otherwise a poor car?

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Only to folks who didn't watch the 80s and 90s.
I personally think this era is vastly overrated quality wise. Lets not beat around the bush, Schumacher Senior is arguably the Goat and his brother is not a slouch. JPM was prodigy and won Indy Car when it was not quite F1, but had a decent list of talent. Then add Raikkonen, Alonso, Hakkinen (even DC), Damon etc. In fact, I would say the period between 96 to 2001 was the Strongest in F1 history. Nearly every team aside from Minardi had a driver capable of winning races (even the likes of Tyrell and Prost).

Currently F1 has a couple of F2 champions, Lewis and Sebastian...

NM

I personally think this era is vastly overrated quality wise. Lets not beat around the bush, Schumacher Senior is arguably the Goat and his brother is not a slouch. JPM was prodigy and won Indy Car when it was not quite F1, but had a decent list of talent. Then add Raikkonen, Alonso, Hakkinen (even DC), Damon etc. In fact, I would say the period between 96 to 2001 was the Strongest in F1 history. Nearly every team aside from Minardi had a driver capable of winning races (even the likes of Tyrell and Prost).

Currently F1 has a couple of F2 champions, Lewis and Sebastian...
Pretty much this. There used to be an era when other teams could win. The last 10 years most of the times it's been 1 team on top, sometimes 2... It's much easier to win in that scenario.

Member 90887

The car no doubtly helps, but last year, both Ferrari drivers and the Red Bull driver (Max) beat Bottas so the car last year certainly wasn't "destroying the field". The driving of Lewis put pressure on his challenger, Vettel, and caused him to make mistakes. I'm not a F1 historian but I bet the previous world championship drivers all raced in very competitive cars. Has there ever been a driver who won a world championship with what was clearly otherwise a poor car?
Well, it's not about winning with a poor car, it's more about winning when having a competition. I agree about last year's championship. He was excellent.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Closest in the last 30 years has been Prost and Schumacher both in Ferrari's. Prior to that, probably Hunt in the McLaren.

In four wheeled motorsports on track, it is far harder to win in a poor car because until it rains, there is far less driver input then say motorcycling where a rider can ride around the deficiencies of the bikes (see Casey Stoner on Ducati etc).

I believe that is the obvious issue with F1. Driver input is virtually null and void these days if the driver wants to push, he's punished by tyres that dont last. If a driver makes a mistake and doesn't even make contact with another driver, he's punished unfairly (see Vettel in Canada). If he pretty much does anything that falls within a question of the officials, you'd expect a penalty. Its absolute bullshit and that feckwit ant davidson doesn't want to bring back refuelling...

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

Ferrari and Red Bull outpaced Mercedes in final practice for the German GP in a surprise timesheet ahead of qualifying, despite cooler weather arriving at Hockenheim.

The impressive Charles Leclerc, the fastest man in the oppressive heat of Friday, led the way again in P3, this time from Max Verstappen by 0.168s with a best lap of 1:12.380.

Both Mercedes drivers finished half a second off the pace and were unusually split on the timesheet by Haas' Kevin Magnussen.

Despite expectations that a drop in temperatures of around 10 degrees compared to Friday would play into Mercedes' hands, Valtteri Bottas was fourth and Lewis Hamilton sixth.

RedFish

Ferrari and Red Bull outpaced Mercedes in final practice for the German GP in a surprise timesheet ahead of qualifying, despite cooler weather arriving at Hockenheim.

The impressive Charles Leclerc, the fastest man in the oppressive heat of Friday, led the way again in P3, this time from Max Verstappen by 0.168s with a best lap of 1:12.380.

Both Mercedes drivers finished half a second off the pace and were unusually split on the timesheet by Haas' Kevin Magnussen.

Despite expectations that a drop in temperatures of around 10 degrees compared to Friday would play into Mercedes' hands, Valtteri Bottas was fourth and Lewis Hamilton sixth.

So basically Mercedes in line for another 1-2 in qualifying. Nice.

pauldyson1uk

Lewis on pole, but a fortunate one, with Seb and Leclerc both running , dont think he would have been pole, but you take what you are given.
Well done Lewis.
The race is looking like a cracker , Seb 20th will be running hard , Leclerc in 10th and Lewis and Max will battle it out in turn 1.

pauldyson1uk

Q3 RESULT

1. Lewis Hamilton - 1.11.767

2. Max Verstappen - +0.346

3. Valtteri Bottas - +0.362

4. Pierre Gasly - +0.755

5. Kimi Raikkonen - +0.771

6. Romain Grosjean - +1.084

7. Carlos Sainz - +1.130

8. Sergio Perez - +1.298

9. Nico Hulkenberg - +1.359

10. Charles Leclerc - No Time