F1 2019 season

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Seeing something like that would stay with you for a long time and not in a good way.

Just shows no matter how good these guys are, they'll never be able to eradicate fatal accidents when they drive at the speeds they do. Sad sad news.
Absolutely. Gonna be an odd atmosphere tomorrow I expect.

F-Red

Just seen the replays and i've not seen a crash as bad since Alex Zanardi's back then. Horrific. I'd be surprised if they race F2 tomorrow.

Krits

Just got sent the video by a friend. It was horrible. No matter how much safety they build in to these cars they are still obeying the laws of physics.

RIP.

pauldyson1uk

This is the statement released.

Formula 1, Formula 2, and Formula 3 are deeply saddened by the passing of Anthoine Hubert following a horrific crash at today’s Feature Race at Spa-Francorchamps, involving three other drivers.

We would like to extend our deepest condolences to Anthoine’s family, loved ones, and friends. We would also like to send our heartfelt sympathies to the entire Arden team.

Anthoine has been part of our paddock since 2017. He was a fantastic driver who had a bright future ahead of him. He became GP3 Series Champion last year, and this season, he won twice in Formula 2, taking victories in Monaco, and at his home race in Le Castellet.

He was kind to everyone, always smiling, and his positive attitude was infectious.

He will be dearly missed.

Out of respect, tomorrow’s F2 race has been cancelled.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I thought this was well written by Andrew Benson in the closure his BBC article:

Spa-Francorchamps, where this accident happened, is one of the world's greatest, most historic, fastest, most challenging and, yes, most dangerous race tracks. To a man, the drivers look forward to races there more than those at a mere handful of circuits around the world. But they don't do it lightly. They do it in full awareness of the risks they are taking.

Saturday night, over dinner with friends and colleagues, the 20 F1 drivers will contemplate the loss of a man who some of them knew, some of them had raced against, and of whom some were only aware as someone who could very well one day soon be one of them.

On Sunday, they will wake up and drive into Spa, and go about their usual pre-race preparations. They will do it with seriousness, sobriety, and an iron determination to carry on with business as usual.

Then, at 3.10pm local time, they will watch five red lights come on one by one and then go out, and within a few seconds they will be racing nose to tail and perhaps even side by side at close to 200mph over the exact spot where, less than 24 hours earlier, a colleague paid the ultimate price.

The sport they love brings them incredible highs and, as on Saturday, awful lows. The combination of all that is - whatever one may think of it - what makes it so thrillingly, awfully, terribly, tragically, special.

They are truly not as other men.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/49537765

RedFish

This is the statement released.

Formula 1, Formula 2, and Formula 3 are deeply saddened by the passing of Anthoine Hubert following a horrific crash at today’s Feature Race at Spa-Francorchamps, involving three other drivers.

We would like to extend our deepest condolences to Anthoine’s family, loved ones, and friends. We would also like to send our heartfelt sympathies to the entire Arden team.

Anthoine has been part of our paddock since 2017. He was a fantastic driver who had a bright future ahead of him. He became GP3 Series Champion last year, and this season, he won twice in Formula 2, taking victories in Monaco, and at his home race in Le Castellet.

He was kind to everyone, always smiling, and his positive attitude was infectious.

He will be dearly missed.

Out of respect, tomorrow’s F2 race has been cancelled.
The right decision.

RedFish

I think in circumstances like these teams should allow their drivers to sit out the rest of the weekend? I worry about how they deal with these tragic incidents. A slow procession of the cars around the track for 10 laps as a mark of respect before packing up and prepare for the next race? I know the F2 race is cancelled but it feels wrong somehow to race under these circumstaces?

I don't know, I can't stop thinking about it. Damn.

0le

RIP. Sadly its just the risk that comes with the territory of racing, absolutely nothing any technology could have done to stop that.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I think in circumstances like these teams should allow their drivers to sit out the rest of the weekend? I worry about how they deal with these tragic incidents. A slow procession of the cars around the track for 10 laps as a mark of respect before packing up and prepare for the next race? I know the F2 race is cancelled but it feels wrong somehow to race under these circumstaces?

I don't know, I can't stop thinking about it. Damn.
There’s a great Schumi quote

“Racing is life and life, is a risk”

We know the consequences from day dot. You either accept it or you don’t and while it might seem cold, that’s racing. If it was a clear and obvious incident caused by safety, we could argue the race should be suspended, but it’s not. Like Jules, it was a freak accident.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
There’s a great Schumi quote

“Racing is life and life, is a risk”

We know the consequences from day dot. You either accept it or you don’t and while it might seem cold, that’s racing. If it was a clear and obvious incident caused by safety, we could argue the race should be suspended, but it’s not. Like Jules, it was a freak accident.
Plus would the drivers rather do anything else for a living? Living (and dying) for your passion isn't something that is accorded to many people in the world.

F-Red

Was he in what looks like a pink car, or the one that crashed into him?
The Arden (Pink car) was Hubert's car, after his collision with the barrier he spun into the road and was effectively t-boned by Correa (who suffered two broken legs in the accident also) and his car split in two.

pauldyson1uk

An official statement from Correa’s media team is as follows:

Today, American Juan Manuel Correa was involved in a scary incident at the Belgium Grand Prix at the Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium. A victim of an accident that happened in front of him, Correa had no place to go and made contact with a fellow competitor’s stopped FIA Formula 2 car. Suffering fractures to both of his legs and a minor spinal injury, Correa underwent surgery and is resting in Intensive Care.

At the current moment, Juan Manuel Correa’s condition is stable. He was taken by helicopter to a hospital where he underwent surgery. Juan Manuel remained conscious the entire time until his admission to the operating room.

While you keep Juan Manuel in your thoughts and prayers, please also pray for the well being of Anthoine Hubert’s friends and family. In motorsports, we are a family, and we lost one of our family members today.

More updates on Juan Manuel’s condition will be made public when available.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
An official statement from Correa’s media team is as follows:

Today, American Juan Manuel Correa was involved in a scary incident at the Belgium Grand Prix at the Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium. A victim of an accident that happened in front of him, Correa had no place to go and made contact with a fellow competitor’s stopped FIA Formula 2 car. Suffering fractures to both of his legs and a minor spinal injury, Correa underwent surgery and is resting in Intensive Care.

At the current moment, Juan Manuel Correa’s condition is stable. He was taken by helicopter to a hospital where he underwent surgery. Juan Manuel remained conscious the entire time until his admission to the operating room.

While you keep Juan Manuel in your thoughts and prayers, please also pray for the well being of Anthoine Hubert’s friends and family. In motorsports, we are a family, and we lost one of our family members today.

More updates on Juan Manuel’s condition will be made public when available.
Absolutely nothing he could have done about it but feck me how must he be feeling this morning.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Glad to see Sky no pushing anybody to talk to them.
Grid is rightly very subdued by the look of it.
Very. Christian Horner seemed to struggle finding the words when they spoke to him.

Been a minute silence already and gonna be another one imminently.

Also we'll all be standing and applauding throughout lap 19 of the race.

Giggsy92

Can't be easy for the drivers out there today. Would be nice to see Leclerc get his first win given the circumstamces, expect Vettel will breeze past on the Kemmel straight on lap one and control the race from there though.

pauldyson1uk

Can't be easy for the drivers out there today. Would be nice to see Leclerc get his first win given the circumstamces, expect Vettel will breeze past on the Kemmel straight on lap one and control the race from there though.
Ferrari have a history of fecking things up.
Today is cooler than FP and qualifying, may help Lewis and Bottas, looks like a one stop race.