F1 2019 season

stu_1992

Bottas staying with Mercedes is the most boring outcome there. I can't say it's surprising, but it would have been nice to see a shake up at that team. Expect thr same old next year again with Bottas maybe getting an early win and people will try to hype it up as him being able to take the battle to Hamilton this. Jusy like the last few years it'll amount to nothing.

Also on Ocon to Renault, what's that about? Replacing Hulkenberg? Is Ocon really any better? I know he's young and considered to have potential, but I don't we him being bake to achieve better results with that team than Hulkenberg. I don't consider Ocon to be a super kid like Verstappen or Le Clerc for example. I'd rate Norris above him too. So this one has me confused. I've never heard of any tension between the 2 current Renault drivers so I doubt its that. I assume Ocon will be a cheaper option and that's the only benefit I can see really.

Wicked_Badger

Bottas staying with Mercedes is the most boring outcome there. I can't say it's surprising, but it would have been nice to see a shake up at that team. Expect thr same old next year again with Bottas maybe getting an early win and people will try to hype it up as him being able to take the battle to Hamilton this. Jusy like the last few years it'll amount to nothing.

Also on Ocon to Renault, what's that about? Replacing Hulkenberg? Is Ocon really any better? I know he's young and considered to have potential, but I don't we him being bake to achieve better results with that team than Hulkenberg. I don't consider Ocon to be a super kid like Verstappen or Le Clerc for example. I'd rate Norris above him too. So this one has me confused. I've never heard of any tension between the 2 current Renault drivers so I doubt its that. I assume Ocon will be a cheaper option and that's the only benefit I can see really.
I think The Hulk is a bit pissed off that Ricciardo swooped in earning £20m a year. Differing reports have his salary between £500k - £4m. Obviously not peanuts, but a bit of a slap in the face for someone that’s performed pretty well over the 3 years he’s been there.

There’ll be other dynamics at play too - he’ll very much be driver no.2 at the team now, and perhaps they’re stealing a development lead from Ricciardo rather than him, maybe screwing up the good development he’s done previously.

It makes sense financially too. Even if you think Ocon isn’t a world beater, he’s still quick, and will be on buttons in comparison. He’ll get a good haul of points, so long as the car is good enough to score them & he’s French too, which’ll please current/potential French sponsors & the Renault board, no doubt.

Leg-End

Young French driver in a French team alongside a "superstar", comes with Mercedes knowledge and will be cheaper than the Hulk, it all makes sense for Renault.

Nico is clearly a good solid driver but he's been about for along time now and really hasn't kicked on, Haas should kick Grosjean for him.

Bottas at Mercedes for another year is dissapointing but totally expected, they don't need to rock the boat. I liked in the press release Bottas basically wrote off his 2019 chances despite being 2nd in the standings, not that he can catch but interesting to throw the towel in at the halfway mark.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Currently sat on the inside of Blanchimont, not been to a race in many years and it's mad how different the cars sound these days. The Formula 2 cars sound miles better which is weird.

Also feck me Spa is hilly; it really doesn't come across on TV just how steep Eau Rouge is and I never appreciated how steep (downhill) the approach is to it from La Source.

Aside from that absolutely everywhere seems to be a massive walk up a big hill, I'm gonna need new legs after this weekend.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Never really understood the hype around Hulk. He reminds me a bit of Henderson. Good but nothing more.

Dan

Currently sat on the inside of Blanchimont, not been to a race in many years and it's mad how different the cars sound these days. The Formula 2 cars sound miles better which is weird.

Also feck me Spa is hilly; it really doesn't come across on TV just how steep Eau Rouge is and I never appreciated how steep (downhill) the approach is to it from La Source.

Aside from that absolutely everywhere seems to be a massive walk up a big hill, I'm gonna need new legs after this weekend.
Full of Dutchies too, was crazy busy when went last year.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

How many metres a climb is it? 50m?

Wicked_Badger

Very jealous. Spa is on the bucket list. Maybe next year.

Agree on the engine sound. When we went to Monza in ‘17 we saw a bit of F2 first and bought earplugs to defend against the downshift noise/assault at the entrance to Parabolica. Genuinely didn’t need to use them anywhere with the F1 cars. Great weekend though!

Zlaatan

Parody Account
How many metres a climb is it? 50m?
I believe it's 40m.

The 'nerd fact of the day' is that Eau Rouge is actually the small left hander going down into the right hander/hill. Most people talk about the whole left-right-up the hill section as Eau Rouge (myself included) but the steep corner up the hill is actually called Raidillon.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I believe it's 40m.

The 'nerd fact of the day' is that Eau Rouge is actually the small left hander going down into the right hander/hill. Most people talk about the whole left-right-up the hill section as Eau Rouge (myself included) but the steep corner up the hill is actually called Raidillon.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

This gives some idea of the undulation, on the left you can see the Kemmel Straight, and to the right is the entry to Pouhon

And Eau Rouge/Raidillon

Dan

Last year, watched qualifying from Eau Rouge, was great when it started raining as the cars kept coming off. Kimmel straight is normally a good spot to watch the race if you can get there early as you can a lot of the track from there.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Last year, watched qualifying from Eau Rouge, was great when it started raining as the cars kept coming off. Kimmel straight is normally a good spot to watch the race if you can get there early as you can a lot of the track from there.
Cheers, I'd be happy staying around the Kimmel Straight tomorrow to be honest having walked all the way around from Les Combes to the Bus Stop Chicane via Pouhon and Blanchimon today. And back.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Ferrari 1-2 in Spa. Leclerc a massive 7 tenths ahead of Vettel who was just ahead of Hamilton. It looked like it was always gonna be Ferraris to lose. Small chance of rain tomorrow though so the race could be interesting.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Only just tuned into the final second of qualifying. But geez, only three cars within a second of the pole time, and pole over 0.7 seconds faster than second place. Looks like it is going to be a very boring race at the front. Only positive is Ricciardo getting 6th. Hopefully the mid pack provides some sort of action.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Only just tuned into the final second of qualifying. But geez, only three cars within a second of the pole time, and pole over 0.7 seconds faster than second place. Looks like it is going to be a very boring race at the front. Only positive is Ricciardo getting 6th. Hopefully the mid pack provides some sort of action.
I don't think the qualifying times tell the whole story as a lot of drivers were compromised on the out lap, particularly Vettel. The Ferraris should win the race but I wouldn't rule out Hamilton, particularly as tomorrow is predicted to be a lot cooler, which suits Mercedes.

vangagal

I have seen it now , OMG I agree Sky right not to reshow it.
Any news on the drivers yet, my thinking is they will be lucky to get away with serious injury, hope I am wrong.
From the video it was one of Arden's driver i'm sure. Some says the other one are Correa or Alesi. News circulate that it was Hubert and Correa
There's one photo from the clip that showed close up. My lord please let them safe.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Young French driver in a French team alongside a "superstar", comes with Mercedes knowledge and will be cheaper than the Hulk, it all makes sense for Renault.

Nico is clearly a good solid driver but he's been about for along time now and really hasn't kicked on, Haas should kick Grosjean for him.

Bottas at Mercedes for another year is dissapointing but totally expected, they don't need to rock the boat. I liked in the press release Bottas basically wrote off his 2019 chances despite being 2nd in the standings, not that he can catch but interesting to throw the towel in at the halfway mark.
Fully agree with you about Bottas staying being predictable.
Also predictable was the fact that Lewis Hamilton would stifle Bottas early form. Being team mates with (in my opinion) one of the best ever can't be easy. But Hamilton is absolutely relentless in his performance and pressure.
I believe that Mercedes are starting to consider Hamiltons long term replacement and so sticking with Bottas was the obvious option.

vangagal

Fully agree with you about Bottas staying being predictable.
Also predictable was the fact that Lewis Hamilton would stifle Bottas early form. Being team mates with (in my opinion) one of the best ever can't be easy. But Hamilton is absolutely relentless in his performance and pressure.
I believe that Mercedes are starting to consider Hamiltons long term replacement and so sticking with Bottas was the obvious option.
It would be more interesting if Bottas treat next year like Rosberg did to his last. That if Bottas wants to be WDC of course. He can't have better dominating car than this.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Shit :(

RIP. Didn't want to see the accident until I knew he was OK. Not gonna watch it now. Horrible thing to happen.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Awful incident. Sadly when you get t-boned at high speed this tends to happen.

They'll race on tomorrow because they have to. The drivers know the risk when they embark on the career, they wouldn't have it any other way.

RIP.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Horrific crash, I couldn't believe they'd both walked away from it when they initially said they had survived so not shocked to see he's passed but it's absolutely awful.

We darted straight after the F1 quali to beat the rush out, really glad we weren't there to see that.

RIP Antoine :(

We need an rvn

Horrific crash, I couldn't believe they'd both walked away from it when they initially said they had survived so not shocked to see he's passed but it's absolutely awful.

We darted straight after the F1 quali to beat the rush out, really glad we weren't there to see that.

RIP Antoine :(
Seeing something like that would stay with you for a long time and not in a good way.

Just shows no matter how good these guys are, they'll never be able to eradicate fatal accidents when they drive at the speeds they do. Sad sad news.