F1 2019 season

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
F1 is quickly going the route of WRC. When Loeb and Citroen started decimating all, it destroyed the sport. That doesn't take away from how good sebastian Loeb is, but it took the shine off his achievements. Is Loeb better than Tommi Makkinen? Statistics say yes. Reality, I'd say they were pretty close, but Makkinen won in a serious where any of 5-6 drivers could win on any weekend.

Is Hamilton better than Senna and Schumacher? Statistics say he's better than Senna and on his way there to beat schumacher. Reality, not even fecking close on either of them.

Mister_Stubbs

New season, same boring shit. Absolutely no racing during that ‘race’ at all. Boring as feck.

pauldyson1uk

Did not make the race, I was still drunk !
Have seen the start, it was shocking from Lewis, he had nothing to beat Bottas with.
Have read that there was a big chuck missing from his floor , could have been the problem.
Ferrari have me puzzled , very good pre season , looked very fast , come the first race they are shite !

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I'm not feeling a buzz about this year. I think it's a combination of;
- Everything looks to be pretty much the same as last year
- Only one race on Channel 4 so can't just sit down and relax on a Sunday afternoon with the race on normal tv
- That sky commentator is impossible to listen to

I didn't get up for the race this morning, normally I'd be pumped for the start of the season.
I think F1 will lose a lot of viewers this year and once it's not free to air they won't gain any new ones either

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Albert Park is a low-key awful race track. The hype of the F1 season beginning has covered this up for me for years now, now I see. Still expect a better season than most predict on here.

pauldyson1uk

F1 is quickly going the route of WRC. When Loeb and Citroen started decimating all, it destroyed the sport. That doesn't take away from how good sebastian Loeb is, but it took the shine off his achievements. Is Loeb better than Tommi Makkinen? Statistics say yes. Reality, I'd say they were pretty close, but Makkinen won in a serious where any of 5-6 drivers could win on any weekend.

Is Hamilton better than Senna and Schumacher? Statistics say he's better than Senna and on his way there to beat schumacher. Reality, not even fecking close on either of them.

I think he is every bit up with them, 3 different drivers 3 different era's.
F1 was totally different for all 3. But I do think all 3 could race in each others's era with ease.
Senna for me is top of the tree the best driver I ever saw , Sch and then Lewis, but there is not much in it.

gormless

I'm not feeling a buzz about this year. I think it's a combination of;
- Everything looks to be pretty much the same as last year
- Only one race on Channel 4 so can't just sit down and relax on a Sunday afternoon with the race on normal tv
- That sky commentator is impossible to listen to

I didn't get up for the race this morning, normally I'd be pumped for the start of the season.
I think F1 will lose a lot of viewers this year and once it's not free to air they won't gain any new ones either

I agree with this. I got into F1 as a kid cos my Grandad would have it on tv at the weekends, watching Schumacher drag poor Ferrari’s into title fights they had no right being in. I’ve remained a life long fan despite how awful it’s been at times.
If i was growing up now, I simply wouldn’t be watching it. Sky is gonna do massive long term damage to F1

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing

The Schumacher/Ferrari era was far more one sided than this but f1 survived.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
The Schumacher/Ferrari era was far more one sided than this but f1 survived.
It was on TV though so we would just turn it on anyway.
Now we need to find a stream/set up the laptop or pay a subscription to watch something we're not really sure is worth it anymore.

It won't survive as a sport in its current format. I'll probably continue to watch it but it's not attracting new fans.

Anyway I don't want to put negativity in this thread.
Hopefully Bottas is able to make the season interesting

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Sixth consecutive podium for Verstappen now, picking it up straight where he left off last season. Red Bull/Honda look pretty much on par with Ferrari in terms of power and speed right now. Great to overtake Vettel.

Sound of the Honda engine is so nice as well, and going by how enthusiastic and respectul Max has been with his comments towards the Japanese over the last weeks, this could be the start of something very interesting.

Nice for Bottas as well, Mercedes are obviously the team to beat.

pauldyson1uk

First race and here is the first league table of the season.

1st hephaestus Horizon F1 79 X
2nd dargonk Dargon's crew 71 X
3rd evan7788 altodevil86 69 X
4th flavio Flavio Racing 69 X
5th spwd MANSELLS MOUSTACHE, 69 X
6th vangagal Team Skytrain 67 X
7th venkman Toyoda 66 X
8th impulse Team 3 66 X
9th paulscholes18 Scholesy 60 X
10th jd094 Mirror, Signal, Maldonado 60 X
11th eric cartman Cartman 59 X
12th dudu Dudu Droids 57 X
13th balljy RedShift 57 X
14th christy87 Langers on a mission 55 X
15th pauldyson1uk Billy Jack Racing 54 X
16th screech44 Redfish-Alfa 53 X
17th igord TeamShamilton 52 X
18th seb_87 Red_Sky_87 47 X
19th muller7uk Muller Motorsport 0 X
20th 17larsson Buzzing and Hornets 0 X
21st muhhaa FC Romantika 0 X
22nd dpansheth Rock 0 X
23rd giggsy92 TeamRocket 0 X
24th thegrumpylion GrumpyLions 0 X

Good start by hephaetus , dreadful start by me.
There is still time to join in, next race is Bahrain 31st March , lights out at 16:10 (UK Time)

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
So did Ferrari not pit one of Vettel/Leclerc because they were worried about turning the engines up for FL? Seemed a bit off to me.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
First race and here is the first league table of the season.

1st hephaestus Horizon F1 79 X
2nd dargonk Dargon's crew 71 X
3rd evan7788 altodevil86 69 X
4th flavio Flavio Racing 69 X
5th spwd MANSELLS MOUSTACHE, 69 X
6th vangagal Team Skytrain 67 X
7th venkman Toyoda 66 X
8th impulse Team 3 66 X
9th paulscholes18 Scholesy 60 X
10th jd094 Mirror, Signal, Maldonado 60 X
11th eric cartman Cartman 59 X
12th dudu Dudu Droids 57 X
13th balljy RedShift 57 X
14th christy87 Langers on a mission 55 X
15th pauldyson1uk Billy Jack Racing 54 X
16th screech44 Redfish-Alfa 53 X
17th igord TeamShamilton 52 X
18th seb_87 Red_Sky_87 47 X
19th muller7uk Muller Motorsport 0 X
20th 17larsson Buzzing and Hornets 0 X
21st muhhaa FC Romantika 0 X
22nd dpansheth Rock 0 X
23rd giggsy92 TeamRocket 0 X
24th thegrumpylion GrumpyLions 0 X

Good start by hephaetus , dreadful start by me.
There is still time to join in, next race is Bahrain 31st March , lights out at 16:10 (UK Time)
Disaster for me as well :D

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Well that was depressing.. Ferrari had the exact same weekend as United, completely out of ideas and nowhere near winning.

Krits

Watched the race right before my flight, I'm glad I had a flight right after as flying always keeps my mind from racing. But what a poor showing from Ferrari. Somethings gone wrong for them this race. This can't be the true pace. Don't know how it happened though. Depressing weekend with both United and Ferrari doing poorly. Oh well, onwards and upwards I guess.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I'm actually surprised I scored so well, considering I had both Renault drivers, with Riccardo giving me no points at all.

Rooney1987

Well he is. I do think he’s better then Michael or Senna no I don’t but it is close. I knows it’s not the point but I’d still go Senna no1, tougher competition.

Rooney1987

Sky post race coverage has gone to shit, need to bring back Ted Kravitz.
I was about to ask what happened to him? He was always one of the best parts of Sky. Seems he is still part of the team based on Sky F1 promo but I saw a petition on twitter to bring him back but I’ve seen no story he quit or been fired. Odd.

Today was bad can’t add anything that hasn’t been said. So boring. Mercs dominant and Ferrari’s weird strategy with Leclerc. Like last season continued.

pauldyson1uk

Sky post race coverage has gone to shit, need to bring back Ted Kravitz.
Found this.

Sky has since confirmed that Ted is staying as part of the team after they included him in their list of commentators, reporters and analysts for the new season. It does’t specify exactly what Ted will be during as part of this season’s coverage, but fans will be hoping to see the return of Ted’s Notebook that are normally broadcast for the qualifying and after the race has been held. Ted has been quiet on Twitter about what fans can expect from him this year, but it could be a sign that there won’t be too many changes from his role last season. He is currently set to present the F1 Midweek Debrief which will air on Wednesday 20 March at 6pm, with repeats on the same day at 7.30pm and 11.30pm. It’s not yet known what else he’ll be doing as part of the Sky Sports F1 team this season, but fans are hoping that Ted’s Notebook will be returning soon.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/17/sky-sports-f1-presenter-ted-kravitz-8915943/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

spwd

Nonsense, Lewis is just as good as Michael was and I’m not sure about Senna, could you explain why you think Lewis is nowhere near?

I think he is every bit up with them, 3 different drivers 3 different era's.
F1 was totally different for all 3. But I do think all 3 could race in each others's era with ease.
Senna for me is top of the tree the best driver I ever saw , Sch and then Lewis, but there is not much in it.
See above.

F-Red

Looks like the Ferrari engine was dropping revs randomly during the race, similar stories from Alfa & Haas.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Looks like the Ferrari engine was dropping revs randomly during the race, similar stories from Alfa & Haas.
Source?

It would be so, so boring if this is another year for Merc to run away with it. That basically means they'll run home with it in 2020 as well and the 2021 regulations is the first real chance of shaking up the field a bit.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Nonsense, Lewis is just as good as Michael was and I’m not sure about Senna, could you explain why you think Lewis is nowhere near?
He really isnt.

Lewis benefited massively from design regulation changes that placed his team well above and beyond any other team in terms of engine performance in the paddock. The head start the engine regs gave Lewis compared to his opposition at the time is up there with the Williams in 1992-1993. It also provides them the ability to run higher downforce and also focus on aero development. When Schumacher and Ferrari dominated F1, aside from electronics the basic layout of the car hadn't changed since 1998 when they went to the narrow track and grooved tyres.

Beyond that Lewis has been a good driver on the level of Prost and Alonso et al (although I think Alonso is a better driver), but far from the level of Senna or Schumacher (who for their own independent reasons are on a different planet).

As I have stated previously, Lewis does not deal well with things not going his way. If he'd been in any other car than the Merc in the couple of years, he'd have walked away and thats the general feeling amongst the paddock. He's done it easy since 2014 compared to other teams trying to catch up.

Can you say the same thing about Michael from 2000-2006? No not really.

The title was hard fought in 2000 and then he and Ferrari broke everybody in 2001-2002.

In 2003 Michelin had a superior tyre to Bridgestone up until Italy where they were forced to comply with the existing regulations. That, like 2000, was the year that you saw him shine when you consider the performance of Rubens in comparison.

2004 much like 2002 was a cake walk because that car was so special. Pretty much the same as Mercedes from 2014-16.

2005 was one of his best years in terms of the driver outshining the car. The Ferrari and bridgestone tyre was a horrendous, yet Michael managed to drag that POS to 3rd in the championship ahead of Both Fisichella and Montoya in a far superior car and tyre combo.

2006 was a year to remember. It was the "i'm going out on my terms" performance. Ferrari should have won the title and probably would have if not for the engine blow up in Japan.

But really, what defines Schumacher is the years before the domination when things weren't perfect and he was struggling. In fact, there's pretty much two seasons from 1994 until 2006 where he wasn't in the title hunt until the final round, save for 1999 where he broke his leg at Silverstone.

While Schumacher dominated F1, it wasn't always a cake walk and the reason he could maintain the troughs was because he was mentally strong. Something I am increasingly reluctant to say about Lewis. Even looking at the weekend he had a whinge about team tactics during the race and the one season where he's managed to have a driver pushing him to a title for the whole season, he wilted and lost out.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Alonso has also dragged terrible cars to fantastic heights, and yet Hamilton matched him for pace in his rookie season, when Alonso was the reigning 2-time champion. Hamilton is a cock, but he's a fast cock, and definitely up there for one-lap pace.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yep people can hate on Hamilton but he's been competitive in every year he's raced, doesn't matter what car he's had.

In this sport the drivers are all so good that generally the best car wins. He's adapted his driving style from the older V10 engines that had tyres you could thrash and last forever, to the turbo-hybrid era where you have to be conservative to win. That isn't easy as a racer.

Comparing him to Senna/Schumacher is like comparing Messi to Maradona/Pele, not really doable as things were just so different. I'm sure if he was put in Prost's shoes it would have been a fantastic battle.

F-Red

Source?

It would be so, so boring if this is another year for Merc to run away with it. That basically means they'll run home with it in 2020 as well and the 2021 regulations is the first real chance of shaking up the field a bit.
Leclerc.

Grosjean reporting a lack of 'SoC' (State of Charge) from Qualifying

The other giveaway was Ferrari running a very low downforce set up to compensate for the lack of power & the very obvious lift and coasting from both drivers way in advance of corners compared to other teams.

Leg-End

Guess we ignore the bit where his team hung him out to dry on tyres worn to the canvas and a gearbox glitch, oh and being a rookie.

I agree he sulked a lot and it affected his performance but he went straight into stardom and hasn’t stepped out of the limelight for a second. McLaren made everyone depressed in the end, ask Alonso.

pauldyson1uk

Guess we ignore the bit where his team hung him out to dry on tyres worn to the canvas and a gearbox glitch, oh and being a rookie.

I agree he sulked a lot and it affected his performance but he went straight into stardom and hasn’t stepped out of the limelight for a second. McLaren made everyone depressed in the end, ask Alonso.
Haters will always hate
Agreed he has his sulks but dont we all !
To say he is not in the same class as Sch , is just mental.
When he equals Sch's 7 WDC , will be be just because he was lucky !

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
2007, you could say 2010 when his double DNF (both collisions) cost him a WDC. Both at key parts of the season.

To see Hamilton's mental fortitude, you need only look at his reaction whenever things are down. Towards the end of his time at McLaren it was unbearable.
2007 :lol:

pauldyson1uk

Formula 1's powerbrokers will present teams with their proposed rules for the 2021 season on Tuesday, in a key meeting to shape the sport's future.
FIA president Jean Todt has confirmed that the "global plans" for the sport's next era - expected to include technical and sporting rules, cost controls and prize money structure - will be revealed to both the F1 Strategy Group and wider F1 Commission in London ahead of the Bahrain GP.

The Concorde Agreement, which governs the sport and sets out the commercial terms on which teams compete, expires at the end of 2020.

"We're excited and we think we can do a lot and make the sport a much more exciting sport for fans, and a much better sport for everyone who's in it," F1 chairman Chase Carey told Sky Sports News.

"And that's really what we're looking to achieve."

What's on F1's agenda for 2021?
2021 is being viewed as the first big chance for Liberty Media to significantly implement their vision for the sport's future.

The American-owned company, who bought F1's commercial rights in 2017, want to make the sport more competitive and introduce a more even-handed revenue structure.

"I think we have a lot of support from the teams," added Carey. "Obviously when you get into the details, you've got 10 teams so you've got 10 different views on the details.
"But I think there's great support for the direction and the vision that we have for the sport."

F1, led by managing director Ross Brawn, also want to introduce much-changed new regulations that promote closer and more exciting racing.

Last October, Brawn revealed concepts for what cars could look like in two years' time, with aesthetics and overtaking-friendly aerodynamics a key part of the plans.
On the financial side, long-mooted plans to introduce a budget cap are also set to be discussed on Tuesday.

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff is looking forward to seeing the plans placed on the table.

"I feel there is some momentum in the process and we are all keen on understanding how 2021 looks," he said at the Australian GP. "Mercedes certainly is interested in having a cost cap implemented at the right levels so it makes sense for everybody.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Need a strong response from Ferrari on sunday. Not a must-win race, but they need to show they can be competitive.

RedFish

Need a strong response from Ferrari on sunday. Not a must-win race, but they need to show they can be competitive.
Australia is so different, I expect Ferrari to be a lot more competitive in Bahrain. I think the natural order of the teams will be much clearer after China. For the constructors, I still favour Mercedes, given the experience they have over Le Clerc, who though obviously quick will struggle to match Vettel in his rookie season IMO. Bottas, will be desperate to better a desperately disappointing season last time out, and that will benefit Mercedes in the end for the Constructors. Let's see!

I'm hoping to get out to Monza this year. If all goes to plan, with time off work, I want to be at the Parabolica on the Sunday!