F1 2021 Season

Fluctuation0161

racing incident in my opinion, similar to Silverstone.

If one driver has no choice then fair enough but both could have avoided contact.
They are racing for the World Title.
Personally i think this is great for F1, and i am a fan of neither.
The punishment is similar to Silverstone too.

Wasn't Hamilton given a penalty for Silverstone? Max didn't finish this race so a grid penalty is the closest equivalent punishment?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I personally think it’s just a case of setting the incorrect precedent in Silverstone.Neither should be penalties but because the first was, they basically have to double down on it today. Hopefully next year they refine this.
Yes.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Verstappen could have taken the escape road and lost position
Hamilton could have given more space as he had plenty tarmac on his right and lost position

Neither did so a coming together was inevitable

Racing incident.
Yes.

Fluctuation0161

Verstappen could have taken the escape road and lost position
Hamilton could have given more space as he had plenty tarmac on his right and lost position

Neither did so a coming together was inevitable

Racing incident.
I'd say predominantly Maxs fault 60/40.

Just as Silverstone was Lewis predominantly at fault 60/40.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
The punishment is similar to Silverstone too.

Wasn't Hamilton given a penalty for Silverstone? Max didn't finish this race so a grid penalty is the closest equivalent punishment?
problem is thee is no consistency with penalties.

Bottas took out how many at Hungary? 5 place grid penalty
Verstappen involved in a racing incident which both could have avioded. 3 place grid penalty.

ArjenIsM3

The stewards reviewed the incident after the race and declared Verstappen "predominantly to blame" for the incident. He will serve the penalty at the Russian Grand Prix. He has also been given two penalty points on his superlicence.
Glad this was handled similar to the British GP. Max was at fault and the most tell tell sign was the way he made is way away from the accident.
I can get behind their reasoning why Max is predominantly at fault, just like Lewis was at Silverstone. What I don't get is why Max gets a far bigger penalty here than Lewis did for a similar incident. No consistency from the stewards at all here.

pauldyson1uk

I can get behind their reasoning why Max is predominantly at fault, just like Lewis was at Silverstone. What I don't get is why Max gets a far bigger penalty here than Lewis did for a similar incident. No consistency from the stewards at all here.
I would say 3 place grid drop and 10 second pen are not too far apart.
Max will make up 3 places with a few laps.

Hephaestus

Verstappen involved in a racing incident which both could have avioded. 3 place grid penalty.
The stewards don't look at the result of the incident, they've emphasised this multiple times this season, so I believe they only looked at the collision between Bottas and Norris. Bottas was more obviously and egregiously at fault so got a bigger penalty, while Verstappen got what I believe is the minimum grid drop as it was a 60-40 type incident at a lower speed.
Pretty certain Max's penalty is the smallest grid drop while Hamilton got a 10 second penalty - the 2nd smallest time penalty (5 seconds was available but the speed of the collision meant they went for 10).

Fully Fledged

Didn't Hamilton drop more than 3 places while taking his 10 second penalty?

United Hobbit

I'm not a fan of either Max or Lewis, though can still appreciate both are very talented

Do we think Max would have tried that move if he hadn't been seething about his pit stop? Obviously we only hear the radio played to us but you could tell he was riled up when he told the radio to leave him alone, I think this made him even more reckless than usual

I see he's still seething on his social media the picture is of him leaving his pit box with his poor mechanics looking gutted along with a caption about this is what happens when you don't leave space. Lewis, much as I'm not keen on him, has done quite a well written post about the safety the halo gave him and he's grateful to those who work on the safety, rather than the who to blame.

I can't add pictures on here but the second pic on his Instagram is scary and shows just how vital the halo, and presumably the tall bit of the car behind his head, were in preventing really serious consequences for him

I'm pleased for Norris, Ricciardo and McLaren. Norris seems really likable. It also comes across a bit that a weight has been lifted off Bottas he did well today too. I think Max's ego is stoked by the utter adoration he receives at Redbull. I know they're probably desperate to keep him, but he's definitely their golden boy!

Lewis has put that he has a bad headache as he still got a hit on the head, could he be at risk of concussion? If he does have it, would this prevent him racing in at least the Russian GP?

hp88

Verstappen involved in a racing incident which both could have avoided. 3 place grid penalty.
Pretty sure the stewards alternate every race which could be part of the problem.

Fluctuation0161

First lap is often given more leniency because all cars are bunched up. Not necessarily consistent with incidents later in the race. But it does make some sense. The starts of races are often incident packed.

Fluctuation0161

They can't add 10 seconds to the next race can they? Has that ever happened?

Darkhorsez

Difficult one as one penalty was served race and the other post race. You could argue that 3 places is equivalent to 10 sec penalty?

Fully Fledged

YES THERE BLOODY WAS!! I could feel it in me bones! :D :D :D :D

It was only the highlights and I couldn't breathe.
Good to see McLaren back to winning ways after so long in the wilderness. I think there was a good chance they would have won the race even without the crash.

Fluctuation0161

I'm not a fan of either Max or Lewis, though can still appreciate both are very talented

Do we think Max would have tried that move if he hadn't been seething about his pit stop? Obviously we only hear the radio played to us but you could tell he was riled up when he told the radio to leave him alone, I think this made him even more reckless than usual

I see he's still seething on his social media the picture is of him leaving his pit box with his poor mechanics looking gutted along with a caption about this is what happens when you don't leave space. Lewis, much as I'm not keen on him, has done quite a well written post about the safety the halo gave him and he's grateful to those who work on the safety, rather than the who to blame.

I can't add pictures on here but the second pic on his Instagram is scary and shows just how vital the halo, and presumably the tall bit of the car behind his head, were in preventing really serious consequences for him

I'm pleased for Norris, Ricciardo and McLaren. Norris seems really likable. It also comes across a bit that a weight has been lifted off Bottas he did well today too. I think Max's ego is stoked by the utter adoration he receives at Redbull. I know they're probably desperate to keep him, but he's definitely their golden boy!

Lewis has put that he has a bad headache as he still got a hit on the head, could he be at risk of concussion? If he does have it, would this prevent him racing in at least the Russian GP?
His social media makes me think he is such an arrogant tit. Why share a pic of his pit crews mistake rather than his own? Still saying it takes 2 to cooperate for corners, yet he never gives space and has built his whole career on that.

Very entitled.

United Hobbit

Who was it that came up with the Halo safety device? They should get some sort of award as its certainly saved some very nasty injuries, maybe even worse.

hp88

On a positive note.. the McLaren garage must be buzzing at the moment, real team work between Lando and Daniel to bring home the points.

United Hobbit

His social media makes me think he is such an arrogant tit. Why share a pic of his pit crews mistake rather than his own? Still saying it takes 2 to cooperate for corners, yet he never gives space and has built his whole career on that.

Very entitled.
I think him sharing the picture of "the" pit stop like you say was a dig at them especially as the post was then about how "unfortunate" today was, the fact he's used that picture suggests he's blaming them for him ending up having this incident. Yes they messed up the stop but it often happens and I expect they're getting berated, there's not a lot they can do if the wheel gun won't work

He could have just shared a picture of the race or something if not the crash

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Good to see McLaren back to winning ways after so long in the wilderness. I think there was a good chance they would have won the race even without the crash.
Ricciardo had it under control. Can't see how Max would have got past him even with a good stop. Lando wouldn't have finished 2nd though most likely.

Fluctuation0161

I think him sharing the picture of "the" pit stop like you say was a dig at them especially as the post was then about how "unfortunate" today was, the fact he's used that picture suggests he's blaming them for him ending up having this incident. Yes they messed up the stop but it often happens and I expect they're getting berated, there's not a lot they can do if the wheel gun won't work

He could have just shared a picture of the race or something if not the crash
No, I mean he could've taken put a fellow driver or cause a serious injury if not for the halo. Yet the picture he shares is not of that incident. It reinforces the suspicion that he has little regard for injuries he may cause to other drivers.

Tbh the picture was not the core of my post. It is him being a massive hypocrite saying it takes 2 to work together to get round a corner when that is the opposite of what he has done throughout his career.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
2 things.

1. How the hell can Max tell where his tyre is on Lewis car? For all he knew the car was pitched half out on the curb. This also seems to have raised a new issue with the Halo that needs to be fixed. It caught the tyre of Lewis car where as in old day roll hoop structure would have pushed the cars off one another. It is lows speed yes but its unlikely a tyre would have got stuck on top of a car like it.

2. feck yeah Danny Ric and hopefully little Lando pipes down with some of his snarky comments he's made recently. I like Lando because I think he's very personable and his old blogs were great, but you cant run your mouth when you haven't won a race.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
Pretty sure the stewards alternate every race which could be part of the problem.
never understood that, surely a panel of the same 3 stewards for every race would bring consistency.

ArjenIsM3

Fecking hell @United Hobbit @Fluctuation0161 it's just a picture and just a social media post. Do you disagree that a (race ending) racing incident is unfortunate? Do you disagree that what looked like an equipment malfunction (either the wheel gun or the sensor wasn't working right) that causes an 11s pitstop is unfortunate? He's not blaming anyone. reading far too much into it and you see what you want to see.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Fecking hell @United Hobbit @Fluctuation0161 it's just a picture and just a social media post. Do you disagree that a (race ending) racing incident is unfortunate? Do you disagree that what looked like an equipment malfunction (either the wheel gun or the sensor wasn't working right) that causes an 11s pitstop is unfortunate? He's not blaming anyone. reading far too much into it and you see what you want to see.
He's absolutely blaming Lewis, though.

Fluctuation0161

You are focusing way too much on the passing comment about the picture and the pit stop! The is not the point I was making. See my previous post on this topic.

slyadams

Just caught up on the race and my main take away is how much Verstappen has gone down in me estimation, and it was already pretty low. Max has repeatedly not given any space when the cats were mostly alongside then bitches when Lewis does similar. Max went for a move he could never pull off and just like at Silverstone when the onus falls on him to take measures to avoid the crash he doesn’t.

The guy has very few redeeming qualities.

ArjenIsM3

He's absolutely blaming Lewis, though.
Obviously since that's what he thinks. Hamilton did the same at Silverstone by saying if it happened again he would have done the exact same thing, in other words, he thought Verstappen should have handled it differently and thus was to blame in his eyes. But Max is definitely not blaming his pit crew for anything which is what's being claimed here. Even claiming he thinks they're responsibly for the crash, which is ludicrous.

Hephaestus

never understood that, surely a panel of the same 3 stewards for every race would bring consistency.
Think the worry was that you could wind up with accusations of agendas if certain drivers got repeated penalties. Even with the changing roster of stewards, you had Verstappen attacking "one idiot steward who always makes the decisions up there against me" after the 2017 US GP where he overtook off track - the penalty was clearly correct but became a controversy because of one single steward having given a penalty to Verstappen before. Can see why the FIA would go with the rotation.

ArjenIsM3

Just caught up on the race and my main take away is how much Verstappen has gone down in me estimation, and it was already pretty low. Max has repeatedly not given any space when the cats were mostly alongside then bitches when Lewis does similar. Max went for a move he could never pull off and just like at Silverstone when the onus falls on him to take measures to avoid the crash he doesn’t.

The guy has very few redeeming qualities.
You might have had a point except at Silverstone Lewis did what Max did today. Both made a move with a low chance of success which caused a crash. Today Max could have pulled out to avoid the crash, at Silverstone it was Lewis. Then everyone was praising Lewis for "holding his ground", strange how nobody is praising Max now that the tables have turned. Imagine if Max could have carried on and Lewis hadn't. There would have been riots :lol: