F1 2021 Season

hobbers

But a rainbow helmeted black man in a car with blm livery was perhaps too much for the fia to stomach
Yeh curse all the structural racism that meant Hamilton could only win 7 world titles out of 15 seasons in F1.

Baffling.

Fluctuation0161

People new to F1 and Motorsport in general may not understands this but removing lapped cars from the front of the pack is common.

The difference is it doesn’t necessarily affect a title like this.

Nothing will happen and Mercedes will embarrass themselves looking like sore losers
Yes those over 70 years old may have seen this before. :lol:

Idiotic post.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
there’s only one way to resolve this fairly. wolff, horner, hamilton, verstappen all stand on the start/finish line and see who can piss the furthest.
This is the most ridiculous post I have seen.

The amount of champagne that Horner took during the podium celebrations, combined with his bloated ego would have made it a no-contest.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
It’s sport though you can’t just make it up as you go

Imagine watching a game of football and the ref had the same attitude ‘oh it would be much more exciting if I did x to spice things up‘

Absurd. Finishing behind the safety car in a race which he’s led and for the vast majority had a 13+ second lead Red Bull would have nothing to complain about.
Had he been penalised at the start like he should have been, he wouldn't have had that 13+ second lead.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
By the way, what made Red Bull pit Verstappen again after Latifi's crash? I feel like I'm missing some game theory here. Verstappen 'could' have remained stuck behind the 5 other cars, right?

Castia

Had he been penalised at the start like he should have been, he wouldn't have had that 13+ second lead.
He was much quicker throughout the race at worst he would have given his place back for him to retake it within seconds

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Verstappen - 395.5
Hamilton - 387.5

Looks like beating to me

This race represents less than 5% of the total season.
yep, congratulations to max. he deserves it for his performances over the course of the year.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
That's like saying a team has been outplayed for 89 mins... so giving the 2 penalties in injury time for no reason is ok

He won because the fia decided he should win

Presumably they don't like a black guy wearing a rainbow helmet in money making GPS in Saudi/ Abu Dhabi ... genuinley can't think of another reason why they chose to bend the rules today
this is embarrassing

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
They were lapped cars, so would have had to move aside for him
it would have taken him a few corners to clear them as they were racing for position against each other. they need to get out of the way but they don’t need to stop. you always lose time passing back markers. hamilton would have been further down the road and harder to overtake.

Fluctuation0161

Dumbest post in a while. Verstappen won’t care one single bit, he won the race with luck and a few months ago he punctured from a win - shit happens. Overall, he won the Championship over Hamilton. The latter has a faster car, you need luck to win. Let’s not put this on some referee put under huge stress, Verstappen won because Latifi crashed. Really difficult to see who is 12 and who is an adult in many of the posts above. What is incredibly certain is that the same people would flip upside down if Hamilton won today after Latifi crashed and Verstappen was screwed after leading.
There's a major difference between "luck" and a race director handing you a win in the final laps by letting some cars unlap themselves but not others.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
it would have taken him a few corners to clear them as they were racing for position against each other. they need to get out of the way but they don’t need to stop. you always lose time passing back markers. hamilton would have been further down the road and harder to overtake.
Oh yeah absolutely, just mentioning why RB felt they could pit Max again for the softs

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
By the way, what made Red Bull pit Verstappen again after Latifi's crash? I feel like I'm missing some game theory here. Verstappen 'could' have remained stuck behind the 5 other cars, right?
They knew at best case they’d only have 2 laps to overtake and they weren’t doing that on the hards without pitting - Lewis was matching their pace. They threw the dice hoping the track would be cleared quickly and they’d let the lapped cars unlap themselves leaving them behind Lewis on new softs. They had nothing to lose.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
A lot of sports nowadays and Formula 1 included, (today was a perfect example) are not interested in fairness, they just wanted a spectacle.

What a stupid rule regarding the safety car. How can you lose an 11 second advantage due to a crash and a safety car coming out? Seems very unfair. What's the point of racing all those laps when you know someone else crashing is going to derail all your good work and you might have no control over it. If I am being cynical, you can even engineer these situations to get an outcome that favours you. I am not saying they do, but it is open to corruption.

What they should have done is if there is an accident and a safety car comes out, the red flag should come out, teams should just be allowed to pit if they want, and race is restarted at the grid in the same order the cars were in at the point of the safety car being deployed. Then at least it is fair, the drivers have not lost their positions, and they can all change tires if they want to, without being penalised. The lap count should pause, and restarted once racing resumes. Then the drivers can properly compete, without all these shenanigans.

But of course no one is interested in "competition", it's all about money and creating controversy so people watch the sport.
You approach also has a lot of gaps and can also be very unfair. Depending on the occassion a safety car can be a more fair solution than above suggestion.

A red flag for example not only - just like a (non-virtual) safety car - eliminates all distances between the positions on track. But it can also give very (un)fair (dis)advantages to team who have already pitted just before the red flag comes out (like Lewis last week), way more than for example a safety car..

Im nog disagreeing with your reasoning in general, its just that there is nó one fair solution from the looks of it.. Different solutions have different pro's/cons..

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Exactly, so it was basically Red Bull doing a Hail Mary gamble?

spiriticon

Whatever the appeal result is though, it is clear the FIA is done with Hamilton like they were with Schumacher and Vettel.

I'm not sure how he can remain in focus for next year. He won't win another title.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Mercedes going to CAS (Court of Arbitration). Masi cant make up rules as he chooses.
That will take a while

Before that there is a fia deadline of 15th December to agree new engine rules that are supposed to finalise the Honda to rb transition and encourage audi in for 2026

First order of business from merc will be to shit on that

Next will be to question the environmental credentials of f1 and should they commit or pull out

Because they are rich enough to pull out in February and leave 12 cars on the grid with engines and deal.with any compensation which can be spun as we took an environmental stand to commit to formula e

F1 can't survive having 12 cars and only ferrari Renault and red bull engines

Basically they can and imo should cripple f1 before it even goes to cas

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Too much inconsistency in my opinion. Lap 1 Lewis should have been made to give the place back and final lap safety car with only certain cars between Max and Lewis was a joke. Undermines all the other drivers in the race still racing for points. Pitting under safety cars and changing tyres under red flag and lots of stuff like that need to be addressed and also the race ending under a safety car should also try to find ways not to let it happen.

Hamilton was a sitting duck today with that decision but the whole world was tuning into this race and to get lots of new viewers would be damaged by the title being decided under a safety car finish.

The rules and regulations definitely polishing and adjusting.

dinostar77

Regardless of the CAS appeal Michael Masi is done as race director. This season has been a mess when its come to applying the rules properly. He ain't going to survive Mercedes wraith.

Hope lewis wins the title next year, gets no8 and retires as champion.

RUCK4444

Whatever the appeal result is though, it is clear the FIA is done with Hamilton like they were with Schumacher and Vettel.

I'm not sure how he can remain in focus for next year. He won't win another title.
What does that say about the sport though?

It’s a disgrace.

spiriticon

Regardless of the CAS appeal Michael Masi is done as race director. This season has been a mess when its come to applying the rules properly. He ain't going to survive Mercedes wraith.

Hope lewis wins the title next year, gets no8 and retires as champion.
He won't. It's very clear that the race director does not want him to win.

You can't fight against the race director if he stays, it's pointless.

hobbers

That will take a while

Before that there is a fia deadline of 15th December to agree new engine rules that are supposed to finalise the Honda to rb transition and encourage audi in for 2026

Next will be to question the environmental credentials of f1 and should they commit or pull out

Because they are rich enough to pull out in February and leave 12 cars on the grid with engines and deal.with any compensation which can be spun as we took an environmental stand to commit to formula e

I think you should apply to be head of Merc PR.

dinostar77

That will take a while

I dont disagree with any of your points. Mercedes have alot of power in F1 and could decide not to play ball and make life very difficult for the FIA.

I cant see Mercedes pulling out of f1 lock stock and barrel short of lewis retiring and totto stepping down as well. Totto was key in convincing the CEO of Daimler to keep Mercedes in F1 as a works team.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
When did he say that?

Both Horner and Alonso said, just before this weekend, that Mercedes have been the best car this season on balance.

Mercedes won the constructors too.

Max beat Lewis with an inferior car, which is indeed a very hard pill to swallow for this forum.
After the race. He said on balance they had the best car this season.

But since you entered the thread tonight bleating on about the "British" without any hint of irony about yourself and where you are from, then it's probably best not to worry about facts.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Merc decided not to pit because they would have lost track position and the race could have ended under the SC
But if they had said from the start that the lapped cars could overtake the safety car, and knowing that Red Bull were on fresh rubber, then Merc could (would) have done the same, knowing that otherwise they'd be at a disadvantage.

The track position was lost because they changed their mind, at the last minute, about the lapped cars.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
There are some diabolical posts in this thread. Max’s fans seem to still be angry despite him winning :lol:.

I’ve not seen any posts criticising Max for today, or for winning the WC, and rightly so. But some shouts of karma etc are just ridiculous.

It’s absolutely fair enough to be happy max won, to be happy Lewis didn’t, to think max deserved it etc.. But surely nobody can watch what happened in those last 5 laps and say without any doubt that it was absolutely fair. Masi decided that Max was going to win the WC. And that doesn’t sit right with me. I’d feel exactly the same if this was reversed by the way. Masi should go, but I don’t think Mercedes get anywhere with their appeal.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Oh yeah absolutely, just mentioning why RB felt they could pit Max again for the softs
ah sorry, i don’t read the good.

Exactly, so it was basically Red Bull doing a Hail Mary gamble?
yep, which they’re well within their rights to do. bar the odd one, i don’t think anyone complaining about the result is moaning about max or red bull at all, just the injustice of how it was all decided by the fia. somehow the people taking it the worst seem to be max fans.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

There wasn’t any bias in my opinion - they just wanted a final lap showdown and manufactured it by throwing out the rule book. Lewis should have been told to give the place back lap 1 so clearly they weren’t against Lewis - they just made an incredibly bad decision in a pressured environment and will now dig in on it because they’re fecked no matter what they do.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Can't agree the new rule changes without merc and that would stop audi coming in

And merc supply 40% of the engines now

So yes 100% they could cripple f1 and jump.into formula e
Should they though? F1 seems like pretty decent commercial value for the teams involved.

I mean, I'm sure they're sad, but in the end the heads of Mercedes like money more than they like Lewis Hamilton and I doubt Toto Wolff is the one making that call.

spiriticon

There wasn’t any bias in my opinion - they just wanted a final lap showdown and manufactured it by throwing out the rule book. Lewis should have been told to give the place back lap 1 so clearly they weren’t against Lewis - they just made an incredibly bad decision in a pressured environment and will now dig in on it because they’re fecked no matter what they do.
F1 changes its rules all the time when a champion is winning too much. It's in the history of the sport.

This is the first time they changed the rules in the middle of a race though, which I think crossed the line.

Max will win another 5 titles or so and then the tide will be against him. It's in the history.

dinostar77

Should they though? F1 seems like pretty decent commercial value for the teams involved.

I mean, I'm sure they're sad, but in the end the heads of Mercedes like money more than they like Lewis Hamilton and I doubt Toto Wolff is the one making that call.
Ola kallenius (ceo of damiler) has wanted to pull out for a while and have Mercedes go back to being an engine supplier only. Stuff like today may push them towards the exit or not.