F1 2021 Season

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Extra incentive to overturn the decision.
It is reasonable to wonder what would have happened were the result reversed and Max/RB had been screwed on the last lap.
Would Max have shown anything like the same sportsmanship as did Lewis.
And would Horner and Marko not have protested about the total injustice?
Pretty sure we all know the answer to that...

Uniquim

The lap before, there was a truck on the road removing Latifi’s car. So no, they could not have let them go a lap earlier.
That's not accurate.
The truck moved away on lap 55 and by the time cars came through again you can see the last of the stewards exit over the barriers (pictured below)
They had more than half a lap of non-action before they unlapped cars.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Yes. He would have been champion without being the best driver of the season. That is undeserved in my eyes.

He made too many mistakes in the first half of the season and lost too many points as a result.

At the end of the day, the best driver won the title, and that is uncontested if you look at the driver ratings.

These driver ratings on a race-by-race basis include scores from six different websites:

AMUS.de
Autosport.com
The-Race.com
PlanetF1.com
Crash.net
F1i.com

Five English speaking, one German speaking, no Dutch speaking.

If Hamilton had won, he would have had the most points, with some elements of luck and fortune along the way, same as Verstappen.

How would that be undeserving?
The idea that decisions or luck in the final race/game of the season makes a title tainted, but not when it happens in the middle of the season, is an incredibly stupid argument.

Every race is worth equal points.

At the end of the season, Max scored 395.5 points and Lewis 387.5 points.

You can whine about Abu Dhabi, then I will bring up Baku.

At the end of the day, Lewis lost and there’s nothing you can do about it.
It's not just decisions or luck. It's a literal break of the rules. Both drivers had decisions and luck go their way throughout the season, at different points. Only one driver had the rules broken for them.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The vast majority of F1 fans loved the season finale.
For what it's worth: None of my friends are super into F1. Some watch the races, but that's it. This was the first time in years most of us watched and we actually talked about it afterwards. Even at work it was a topic. Everybody absolutely loved it, even though most favor Mercedes over Red Bull I can't speak for die hard F1 fans at all, but casuals and neutrals were universally thrilled from what I can tell.

It even rekindled some interest in the sport for me.

spiriticon

For what it's worth: None of my friends are super into F1. Some watch the races, but that's it. This was the first time in years most of us watched and we actually talked about it afterwards. Even at work it was a topic. Everybody absolutely loved it, even though most favor Mercedes over Red Bull I can't speak for die hard F1 fans at all, but casuals and neutrals were universally thrilled from what I can tell.

It was great as a spectacle, no doubt about it. But so is Wrestlemania. Many people were talking about it in my office too, but not that they cared who was the champion, just the show of it all. Some who tried to digest it further in a sporting manner, did not understand what had happened at the end and needed someone (me) to explain it.

I mean, I will still watch it as a spectacle and enjoy spectacular crashes and Masi screwjobs, but then let's not start giving out plaudits, knighthoods and accolades for the champion. Let's stop arguing who is the GOAT sportsman out of Lewis, Schumacher or Senna. It's like arguing whether Hulk Hogan or the Rock is the better sports competitor because who won more WWE titles how, when and where. We can argue about who is the best performer or most entertaining for sure. It is definitely Max as he is the likeliest to cause an accident and give us a spectacular show with flying tyres everywhere. Lewis is a bit too old and safe now. On that basis, defo Max deserves to be champion.

The course of the champion is so easily manipulated by the 'rules' the FIA make on the cars and tires each year (to prevent someone getting too dominant and boring the crowd), and also the decisions of the race director to ensure a Hollywood season finish by choosing when and where to penalise drivers during the course of the season.

Last edited:

macheda14

That's not accurate.
The truck moved away on lap 55 and by the time cars came through again you can see the last of the stewards exit over the barriers (pictured below)

Stewards are on the track at lap 56 at turn 14, it would have taken until lap 57 for every car to unlap themselves as there are only two corners left. The safety car is supposed to come in the following lap (58) after the last car has unlapped itself.

ForlansHair

For someone that's watched it for over 20 years, seems weird that you've probably forgotten this comment by Masi at the Nurburgring last year.
My point was about the additional lap rather than allowing cars to unlap and that quote doesn't say anything about that.

I think it's entirely plausible Masi either just forgot (as alluded to by other posters he was under intense pressure with multiple things going on), or he thought that bit of the rule wasn't relevant. If however you believe he knows all the rules like the back of his hand, he could argue that, according to 15.3 he has complete control over the safety car (one of the arguments the Stewards used) and he believed the additional lap wasn't necessary (I assume it is there so the now unlapped cars get a fair amount ahead and don't need to be lapped again within a couple of laps (?) which on the last lap of the race isn't needed for obvious reasons).

My personal belief is he doesn't know every single line of the sporting regulations and just forgot, and he would follow 48.12 in full if he had his time again. I don't believe he himself believed he was invalidating procedures

EDIT: Posted before I meant to. I meant to finish off by saying that I believe he realised that what he did was incorrect after the event (but not during), but after the race he has found a way to wriggle out of it by referring to 15.3 and 48.13.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
That's not accurate.

Apologies my mistake re: timing of the truck.

Still, they could not let them around on lap 56. If you look in the 55 picture there is still loads of stuff on the road that needed sweeping. They did this on lap 56. So, you can’t wave them through until they’ve crossed that point on 56 as if they did it earlier the marshals wouldn’t have had time to sweep up on lap 56. So the only time on lap 56 to give the order is literally during those last 2 turns.

Given what we now know, this is overall a rather odd line of debate. Clearly the race director wanted to start the race as soon as possible. If it was safely possible to do it the laps before, don’t you think he would have?

Fluctuation0161

Max lost 70 points because of Pirelli and Mercedes playing destruction derby in Baku, Silverstone and Hungary.

Lewis still lost :lol:

Then you cry about the 7 points you lost in Abu Dhabi.
Ultimately, you cite racing incidents and random tyre problems.

I cite specific rulings by the FIA to help Max.

But you think these are equivalent examples? :lol:

Fluctuation0161

The idea that decisions or luck in the final race/game of the season makes a title tainted, but not when it happens in the middle of the season, is an incredibly stupid argument.

Every race is worth equal points.

At the end of the season, Max scored 395.5 points and Lewis 387.5 points.

You can whine about Abu Dhabi, then I will bring up Baku.

At the end of the day, Lewis lost and there’s nothing you can do about it.
-Giving half points for a farce at Spa (advantage Max)

-Allowing Max to drive Lewis off the track in Brazil (advantage Max)

-Not penalising Max with grid penalty or points deduction for brake checking (advantage Max)

-The icing on the cake, handing the championship and final race to Max despite him being 11 second behind.

These are all decisions and rulings NOT racing incidents. If you can't see that then you may be in denial.

Fluctuation0161

Wishful thinking, you live in a bubble.

Use the chrome extension which allows you to see dislikes on YouTube. The Abu Dhabi race received an overwhelmingly positive review.

The vast majority of F1 fans loved the season finale.
Oh wow. This is classic evidence. Youtube likes = case closed. :lol:

Maybe instead of juries, courts of law could ask YouTube comments section to rule in cases? :lol:

Fluctuation0161

It is reasonable to wonder what would have happened were the result reversed and Max/RB had been screwed on the last lap.
Would Max have shown anything like the same sportsmanship as did Lewis.
And would Horner and Marko not have protested about the total injustice?
Pretty sure we all know the answer to that...
Red Bull have also become a stain on the sport.

Really sad when you consider the honourable origins and respect between f1 drivers and teams in the 50s 60s etc.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's a funny thing, I've been quite an avid follower since the days of James Hunt's triumph in 1976, but I feel that this season finale is the straw that has finally broken the Camel's back for me.
Out with the old, and in with the new, that's evolution I suppose....;)

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
-Giving half points for a farce at Spa (advantage Max)

-Allowing Max to drive Lewis off the track in Brazil (advantage Max)

-Not penalising Max with grid penalty or points deduction for brake checking (advantage Max)

-The icing on the cake, handing the championship and final race to Max despite him being 11 second behind.

These are all decisions and rulings NOT racing incidents. If you can't see that then you may be in denial.
Man, stop this gross injustice mode especially if you are painting other posters as verstappen fans.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse

Maybe instead of juries, courts of law could ask YouTube comments section to rule in cases? :lol:
“the fact this case has even reached cas is a farce. i put it to you, your honour, that pm_me-ur_fat_tits is perfectly happy with the outcome of the race. he instructs “salty hamilton ***** to sit on his fat one. max is da best. no collusion.” whom are we to interfere with the outcome of the race in the face of such overwhelming public support?”

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Lewis doesn't need to do anything but lock himself up in a dark room for 7 days with "The Last Dance" on repeat, and take the resulting determination into training and the next season
I'd love if Mercedes & Hamilton are to become ice cold next year with a "feck the FIA" vibe. :D

spiriticon

I'd love if Mercedes & Hamilton are to become ice cold next year with a "feck the FIA" vibe. :D
I'd love it too. Sunglasses on all year round, "feck the FIA" t-shirt on, no interviews, just looking to drive Max off the track every opportunity.

I would defo tune in to watch that :lol:

Gazautd18

This thread reminds me of twitter.
Ask for an explanation an get accused of being a "so and so" fanboy as well as a history of whataboutism.

Fluctuation0161

“the fact this case has even reached cas is a farce. i put it to you, your honour, that pm_me-ur_fat_tits is perfectly happy with the outcome of the race. he instructs “salty hamilton ***** to sit on his fat one. max is da best. no collusion.” whom are we to interfere with the outcome of the race in the face of such overwhelming public support?”
:lol:

YouTube has spoken.

Uniquim

Stewards are on the track at lap 56 at turn 14, it would have taken until lap 57 for every car to unlap themselves as there are only two corners left. The safety car is supposed to come in the following lap (58) after the last car has unlapped itself.
But if the overtaking starts on Lap 56, even if it is towards the end of the lap, even though all lapped cars haven't overtaken cars on the lead lap, wouldn't the safety car still be pitting the following lap if it ended on Lap 57? That part I'm unclear about. In any case, I think the race director can be say the 'safety car is ending this lap' at any point, which is I think what the stewards argued (14.13). I just think it'd be less controversial if they'd unlap them all even if they couldn't join back up with the field.

Apologies my mistake re: timing of the truck.

Still, they could not let them around on lap 56. If you look in the 55 picture there is still loads of stuff on the road that needed sweeping. They did this on lap 56. So, you can’t wave them through until they’ve crossed that point on 56 as if they did it earlier the marshals wouldn’t have had time to sweep up on lap 56. So the only time on lap 56 to give the order is literally during those last 2 turns.

Given what we now know, this is overall a rather odd line of debate. Clearly the race director wanted to start the race as soon as possible. If it was safely possible to do it the laps before, don’t you think he would have?
Yeah, I guess you're right. He did seem quite keen getting the safety car in, and said later it was based on the agreement between teams about wanting to end races in the 'green' conditions. Still think they could've unlapped cars a bit earlier, which would make it less controversial (possibly). Problem would be whether all of them would get far enough in front for it not to matter.

Uniquim

Also, looks like Lewis got knighted today.

So I think that's four F1 knights?

Sir Jack Brabham
Sir Stirling Moss
Sir Jackie Stewart

Am I missing anyone?

Fluctuation0161

Also, looks like Lewis got knighted today.

So I think that's four F1 knights?

Sir Jack Brabham
Sir Stirling Moss
Sir Jackie Stewart

Am I missing anyone?
He deserves something for being so magnanimous after that last race, in the face of blatant cheating.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona

That’s not the argument that was being presented, it’s amazing how many people on here can’t even read.

The argument was whether the decision was popular with the fans, not if it was “just”.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It's a funny thing, I've been quite an avid follower since the days of James Hunt's triumph in 1976, but I feel that this season finale is the straw that has finally broken the Camel's back for me.
Out with the old, and in with the new, that's evolution I suppose....;)
Not so.
Evolution happens naturally.
What happened last Sunday was a very long way from natural.
It was organised and manipulated to suit an agenda.
That was not evolution. It was a stitch up.

macheda14

But if the overtaking starts on Lap 56, even if it is towards the end of the lap, even though all lapped cars haven't overtaken cars on the lead lap, wouldn't the safety car still be pitting the following lap if it ended on Lap 57? That part I'm unclear about. In any case, I think the race director can be say the 'safety car is ending this lap' at any point, which is I think what the stewards argued (14.13). I just think it'd be less controversial if they'd unlap them all even if they couldn't join back up with the field.

Yeah, I guess you're right. He did seem quite keen getting the safety car in, and said later it was based on the agreement between teams about wanting to end races in the 'green' conditions. Still think they could've unlapped cars a bit earlier, which would make it less controversial (possibly). Problem would be whether all of them would get far enough in front for it not to matter.
No the rules are that once the final car has unlapped itself the safety car comes in the following lap. The stewards know fully well that’s just a regulation written in to document the procedures. Not an overriding rule.

Again he couldn’t have told the cars to unlap themselves earlier as shown bythe pictures you produced. What he could have done within the regulations is pulled the safety car in with no one unlapping themselves and had Max have to get past those 5 back markers (which yes they would have been blue flagged, it still would have taken him a good few seconds.) but again this would have had to happen at the end of lap 57. As by the end of lap 56 stewards were still on the track. You can only call it in once the track is clear.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Not so.
Evolution happens naturally.
What happened last Sunday was a very long way from natural.
It was organised and manipulated to suit an agenda.
That was not evolution. It was a stitch up.
I mean for my personal interests lasting in F1 any longer.
My interest in F1 after that debacle has probably now gone, but a younger TV generation probably loved the staged drama, and that's what I mean about the "sport" evolving onto appeal to that kind of TV audience going forward. Oldies such as myself, that are calling fraud, aren't as important as boosting the TV numbers.
You get me?

rednotled

I’m quite confident change will happen. Not the result and perhaps not in the public eye. But I think there is a good chance things change.

We’ve seen a lot of Masi bashing in this thread and rightly so. But I did read a few pieces which made me wonder a bit. Apparently Masi doesn’t have a team of people with him, and whilst obviously more analytics and information than all of us watching, he has nothing like the data and team that the actual racing teams do. He is obviously responsible for the call and in all circumstances he should have got it right, but I do think they could implement real changes there. Simple things like:

- More people, who might be responsible for communications with teams so they get them out of Masi’s ear.
- More people to support on analytics and data to have minds working through real time information.
- An assistant race director, or perhaps even turning the role into a 3-person team to get more balance in decision making.
- A clearer understanding of race director and steward interaction.

I think (and hope) Masi is removed. But unless the next person is a superstar like Charlie, without change we might still get weird decisions like this.
I really like these suggestions. After all, he's 1 guy and if he made a mistake, then that's completely understandable, especially under the circumstances and associated stress of that high pressure situation where a quick decision was being demanded.
So let's lot allow that to happen again, let's put in measures to mitigate the risk of a single person making a mistake (or even perceived to have made a mistake) under the full glare of teams and fans alike.

It would be a far more reasonable outcome than courts deciding champions, or Red Bull taking their ball home in a strop!

But yeah, he has to go. He can't be seen to be associated with the "fix".

RoadTrip

My point was about the additional lap rather than allowing cars to unlap and that quote doesn't say anything about that.

I think it's entirely plausible Masi either just forgot (as alluded to by other posters he was under intense pressure with multiple things going on), or he thought that bit of the rule wasn't relevant. If however you believe he knows all the rules like the back of his hand, he could argue that, according to 15.3 he has complete control over the safety car (one of the arguments the Stewards used) and he believed the additional lap wasn't necessary (I assume it is there so the now unlapped cars get a fair amount ahead and don't need to be lapped again within a couple of laps (?) which on the last lap of the race isn't needed for obvious reasons).

My personal belief is he doesn't know every single line of the sporting regulations and just forgot, and he would follow 48.12 in full if he had his time again. I don't believe he himself believed he was invalidating procedures

EDIT: Posted before I meant to. I meant to finish off by saying that I believe he realised that what he did was incorrect after the event (but not during), but after the race he has found a way to wriggle out of it by referring to 15.3 and 48.13.
Untrue. There is literally a radio message from Masi where he states both of these aspects of the rule from 2020.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
don’t blame them. it’s exactly like when keith, the school bully, who did the “stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself” thing with your own fists then wants you to put in a good word with your sister.

RoadTrip

F1 obviously needs Mercedes more than they need F1. How many teams would be left without Mercedes engines? And it’s nice advertising of course and they do make money through sponsorship and what not but at the same time there is growing focus on the fact that it’s not environmentally friendly, and no doubt as a stand alone business line is loss making. The engineering and research can be done anyway, so not a factor. Also, how many people genuinely buy a car brand because they see it on a motor sport? And at this point what proportion of people have not heard of Mercedes who would be in a position to consider buying one?

If Mercedes don’t take it to CAS, then the only reason for that is because they have the FIA and Liberty by the scrote and have managed to get something pretty substantial be it financial or otherwise.

I know the team isn’t owned outright but Mercedes but still.

The Firestarter

F1 obviously needs Mercedes more than they need F1. How many teams would be left without Mercedes engines? And it’s nice advertising of course and they do make money through sponsorship and what not but at the same time there is growing focus on the fact that it’s not environmentally friendly, and no doubt as a stand alone business line is loss making. The engineering and research can be done anyway, so not a factor. Also, how many people genuinely buy a car brand because they see it on a motor sport? And at this point what proportion of people have not heard of Mercedes who would be in a position to consider buying one?

If Mercedes don’t take it to CAS, then the only reason for that is because they have the FIA and Liberty by the scrote and have managed to get something pretty substantial be it financial or otherwise.

I know the team isn’t owned outright but Mercedes but still.
They wont just stop supplying engines, they have contracts to abide to. Even if they leave f1 which wont happen.