F1 2021 Season

Fluctuation0161

Of course it's not unsportsmanlike like. It was his job. I thought that Checo played his part in the contest as good as could have been expected. If Checo had taken Lewis of the track deliberately then that would have been unsporting but holding him up is totally in the rules of the sport.
Yes Checo did well to be fair and helping Max in qualifying. Fair fecks to him.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
I could see him winning the title back, but I totally understand if he leaves. It would be a loss to F1, but they have caused so much damage to the integrity of the sport.
sorry but the majority could not give a monkeys,
the crowds will be there next season same as always.
The rules / regulations in F1 have been inconsistent at best for many years.
Senna, a hero to many won a world title through cheating.
Worse than this episode in my opinion.

Cardozo

I don't think Lewis will quit. I think Mercedes are playing a bit of Holywood here. If Lewis quit there would be a strong narrative around 'Max retired him', a bit like when Rosberg won the title and then retired and a lot of the narrative was about him not wanting to take Lewis on again. Perhaps Lewis doesn't care.
Exactly. We’re all being given the Hollywood treatment here, especially from the FIA. They couldn’t have dreamed for a bigger ending than that which will live on into next season regardless of whether he comes back.

Arguing pro Max or Lewis is a bit of a moot point and a waste of energy for everyone. They were both fantastic and overall Max probably deserved it (based on race wins, laps lead etc.) but certainly wasn’t going to win it until that intervention in the last 5 laps.

I really like Lewis as a person. I think he’ll come back if the new car is competitive and he’ll get the 8 and it’ll be even more Hollywood that he finally smashed the record and a whole new generation will have been sucked into F1.

hobbers

Laughable thing is the same people who are pissing their pants over this are the same ones who will tell you how great Senna was, how great Schumacher was despite the fact they both blatantly took people out to win or try to win Championships.
Very true. Several posters in this thread would genuinely try and tell you that Max is a dirtier driver than Schumacher and Senna. Can only presume none of them have actually watched F1 live before 2014.

All the best champions, Max, Alonso and Hamilton included, were and are masters of racecraft. And racecraft isn't always fair and clean, and nor should it be. Some people seem to want F1 sanitised to insane levels so it turns into purely an engineering event rather than a competitive individual sport, as if it wasn't enough of an engineering showpiece already.

It doesn't really bode well for how they'll handle next season when the cars are supposedly going to be a lot closer together and allow for more aggressive moves.

Fluctuation0161

WWE also attracted big crowds.

spiriticon

Checo's bit of defending was the best piece of driving all race. How can anyone hate that? He legitimately made the race exciting. Great stuff.

The Firestarter

Who cares when it's scripted? If i'm watching Hollywood at least I don't get a pathetic clueless weasel in the commanding role of the movie.
Oh give over with the scripted bullshit. If Latifi didn't crash, what would the script have been then?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
How do you know that the majority could not give a monkeys?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
The issue isn't that F1 is out to get Lewis Hamilton. So I can understand why that would be baffling!

The issue is Masi/the FIA not following the safety car rules. Which unfairly handed the title to Max, maybe because Masi wanted "entertainment", maybe because a different champion would increase ratings, who knows why? But the issue is rules were broken in an unprecedented way, which effectively chose the winner of this year's championship.

That is hard to take, no matter who won or who lost. Losing faith in the fairness of any sport makes that sport hollow.
Some guy on internet is making ridiculous post like yours saying verstappen only lost because hamilton took him out on Silverstone. Commiserations

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I’m going for a left field take here. I actually think this is benefitting Hamilton’s legacy. Yes 8 would take him past Schumacher. But, if there was always something which held Lewis back from a likeability perspective it was always his perceived arrogance and lack of sportsmanship. Heck, I didn’t like him for a long time.

In the context of what he’s trying to do now, from race equality in the sport, creating a platform for young minority children to have a shot, being seen as a role model. In a bizarre way, the way he’s carried himself after the race will cement him with a legacy that far exceeds what the 8th title would have.

He might walk away now. He might not. I don’t know. But in some ways being the “victim” here will have changed his image drastically to everyone who isn’t a huge Max fan. From neutrals to even less hardcore Max fans, his standing has taken a significant boost. Good for him.

Abizzz

Oh give over with the scripted bullshit. If Latifi didn't crash, what would the script have been then?
The race I watched Sunday was very much influenced by the stewards to make it "entertaining". They do not even claim otherwise. The same has been true for much of this season, which has left us with many baffling decisions. Maybe scripted is the wrong word, maybe tempered suits it better. It was influenced from the outside from people who believe they can artificially create something that is better than racing.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
As a casual viewer I've noticed lots of whining about Horner but I can't help but love his sly digs and shithousing remarks. :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
As a casual viewer I've noticed lots of whining about Horner but I can't help but love his sly digs and shithousing remarks. :lol:
I actually dislike him less than Toto who seems like a genuine arsehole. Both are just a bit special and very competitive though.

Never knew F1 was such a handbags out sport.

Well before I entered the caf F1 thread anyway.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I actually dislike him less than Toto who seems like a genuine arsehole. Both are just a bit special and very competitive though.

Never knew F1 was such a handbags out sport.

Well before I entered the caf F1 thread anyway.
There both arseholes, toto does seem like a primadonna though with all his antics and playing up for the camera the whole time, the hammerheads don’t like it when you call there toto an arsehole do they.

the thing is you have to be an arsehole to be at the top of this sport

The Hilton

Both principals can be abrasive, but the difference between them is clear when looking at the treatment of their drivers.

Horner enabled and encouraged the very worst side of Max and Seb, the former of whom stormed off the podium a couple of weeks ago while the latter has seemed like a genuinely cool person since leaving Red Bull. He's also been utterly brutal towards the second drivers he's been in charge of.

Toto meanwhile forced Lewis to learn some humility, to the point that he was able to show a remarkable amount of graciousness despite being the victim of one of the biggest robberies in F1.

They both love the camera, and talking smack, but Horner is in a league of his own when it comes to sleaze, slime, and general awfulness.

hobbers

I like Toto, and he plays well to the camera. But it's easy to be the nice guy when you win everything with no challenge from anywhere.

First championship he has to work for in 8 years and he's smashing headphones left right and centre and demanding no safety cars to the race director when there are marshals on the track. Calling in the sleaziest of lawyers before a tyre has even hit the tarmac.

ChaddyP

Was the lead really that much bigger before the braking zone. I look forward to every driver taking a leaf out of Max's book and dive bombs galore next season.
Dani Ric was/is a master of the dive bomb. He just has a less punchable face so probably more palatable when he does it i guess

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Both principals can be abrasive, but the difference between them is clear when looking at the treatment of their drivers.

Horner enabled and encouraged the very worst side of Max and Seb, the former of whom stormed off the podium a couple of weeks ago while the latter has seemed like a genuinely cool person since leaving Red Bull. He's also been utterly brutal towards the second drivers he's been in charge of.

Toto meanwhile forced Lewis to learn some humility, to the point that he was able to show a remarkable amount of graciousness despite being the victim of one of the biggest robberies in F1.

They both love the camera, and talking smack, but Horner is in a league of his own when it comes to sleaze, slime, and general awfulness.
that’s my opinion too. i have a slight allegiance to lewis as he is british and has a good backstory but i would much rather work for wolff than horner. i’ve already compared them to fergie and mourinho. both command respect for what they’ve achieved, but i know which one i’d rather nail my colours to.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It's also worth noting that Vettel didn't exactly set the world alight since leaving Red Bull. Mostly the car, yes, but a mentality shift. Ever since Riccardo unsettled him.

slyadams

I did see some rent-a-quote tabloid article with Bourdais saying Perez holding Hamilton up was unsportsmanlike.

Firstly, obviously it isn't unsportsmanlike. It's a team game and tactical driving to help your team mate is not only fair but necessary. Ask Ocon and Alonso.

Secondly, that idiot obviously has a very short memory because cast your mind back to 2016 and what was Lewis trying to do to Rosberg, his team mate, in the final race? Hold him up. Which was also absolutely a fair and smart thing to try.
Perez didn't do anything wrong, no informed Hamilton fans believe that. Lewis will think the same looking back, all drivers say things in the heat of battle. I would have loved if Bottas could have assisted Lewis like that just once this season.

slyadams

It's also worth noting that Vettel didn't exactly set the world alight since leaving Red Bull. Mostly the car, yes, but a mentality shift. Ever since Riccardo unsettled him.
Tbh, I think Vettel's performances in his last season at RB and all the seasons since have probably revealed his true level: a decent driver, but probably not one you'd look back and think "yeah, one of the greats" that his 4 WCs would suggest.

Fluctuation0161

Some guy on internet is making ridiculous post like yours saying verstappen only lost because hamilton took him out on Silverstone. Commiserations
Silverstone is not comparable with the final race debacle. It is disingenuous to compare a racing incident which got penalised with a race director going rogue to manipulate the race outcome.

Again, I would urge anyone to look at this without considering the "Lewis vs Hamilton" angle, it is irrelevant, it could have been any two drivers going for the championship. Putting any rivalries aside, they can't let this happen again in F1.

NK86

No it hasn't actually. That's the thing. If you came on here, you'd think the world is coming to an end. While most people outside of this forum (and maybe the UK), accept it was a poor decision but also realise that there were a lot of poor decisions in this race and beyond it as well. In the end, Max won a deserving championship.