F1 2024 Season

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Yeah but Schumacher would be a number 2 driver according to this thread
shows how highly he’s rated. i personally wouldn’t have him anywhere near my team. him sat there motionless and drooling in my cockpit, finishing 19th ahead of sargeant.

hobbers

shows how highly he’s rated. i personally wouldn’t have him anywhere near my team. him sat there motionless and drooling in my cockpit, finishing 19th ahead of sargeant.
He'd probably still be closer to Max in qualifying than Perez.

United Hobbit

Maybe controversial - do we think George is good enough to be a lead driver for a title contending team?

He's obviously very talented but has made some silly mistakes under pressure

Will be interesting to see how he does this season if the car is better

goalscholes

I know drivers keep getting older, but there is a biological reality. If Hamilton is actually competing with Leclerc in 2 years’ time, it’s time for Ferrari to find a new golden boy.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I know drivers keep getting older, but there is a biological reality. If Hamilton is actually competing with Leclerc in 2 years’ time, it’s time for Ferrari to find a new golden boy.
aye. at hamilton’s age i’d expect him to be parking across multiple garages in the pit lane and multiple boxes on the start line. him replying every message from the team radio with a “huh!?” before using the press conferences to moan about foreigners and how f1 used to be better back when there was refuelling and no halos.

hobbers

Maybe controversial - do we think George is good enough to be a lead driver for a title contending team?
Nope.

Sainz or Albon wouldn't dominate him but they would outperform him if either went to Mercedes, I think.

Ocon and Russell would be a good comedy act.

Balljy

Of course he’ll be second fiddle at both.

Leclerc is Ferrari’s poster boy and he will be dominant in qualifying anyway.

Alonso would be second fiddle to Leclerc or max as well. That’s why he’s been at Renault and AM
There is zero chance that Ferrari are getting Hamilton in to be number two driver. Mercedes may move towards a car that suits Russell more this season though, as that would make sense.

hobbers

Bit of a false equivalence there.
Not really. Giovinazzi and Stroll beat Russell in F3. Russell finished 1st ahead of Norris and Albon in F2. Some of F1's biggest flops have finished 1st and 2nd in recent F2 championships. It's no predictor of F1 success.

There is zero chance that Ferrari are getting Hamilton in to be number two driver.
Ferrari dont really operate with distinct 1 and 2 drivers, as we've seen the last two seasons. But Leclerc will outqualify him and he will not get any priority.

F-Red

Not really. Giovinazzi and Stroll beat Russell in F3. Russell finished 1st ahead of Norris and Albon in F2. Some of F1's biggest flops have finished 1st and 2nd in recent F2 championships. It's no predictor of F1 success.
It’s absolutely a false equivalence in the context of a discussion about Albon. Of the trio of that year, Russell was leaps and bounds ahead of Norris and Albon.

Albon has done very little to even suggest he would outperform Russell in the same car. Even when he’s been in a race winning car, Albon hasn’t shown he’s got it. He’s at best a number one driver for a midfield team, and he’s found his level with Williams.

Balljy

Ferrari dont really operate with distinct 1 and 2 drivers, as we've seen the last two seasons. But Leclerc will outqualify him and he will not get any priority.
In that sense, I agree. Leclerc has been pretty underwhelming in races though which is where Hamilton has historically excelled. It'll be fun to see how it plays out, I can see a bit of tension if Hamilton can keep his race form high.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
There is zero chance that Ferrari are getting Hamilton in to be number two driver. Mercedes may move towards a car that suits Russell more this season though, as that would make sense.
This is the one part I have no trouble believing. Toto is clearly a huge George fan, perhaps almost more than Lewis' if you just look at the body language and amount of things they seem to be in each other's in vicinity.

George clearly rates himself well above Lando and Albon when you saw an interview with the 3 of them (not blaming him, some arrogant confidence is needed to win in that sport), and he's only 5 months younger than Max who obv has 3 titles and many more race wins and poles under him already.

George (or perhaps even Toto) and his folks probably put a lot of pressure on Merc to decide who their future is.

pacifictheme

2020 was a long time ago in F1 terms. I wrote him off as well when he lost his drive but I would say he has shown a lot of growth since moving to Williams and I think he is certainly deserving of another shot in a decent car.

He was very young driving a notoriously difficult to drive car. To sum up I would think the 2024 albon does a lot better than the 2020 albon did in the 2020 red bull.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
with sainz it’s usually the rear mirrors.

hobbers

Cant wait to hear what Toto has to say. He'll probably be secretly quite happy, I think their relationship has been strained for a while.

Abizzz

With it being all but official now one has to say it's great news for Ferrari, but they'll need to get to work hard to be at the top of grid in 2025. Mercedes needed to move on at some point too, they'll have enough time to figure out what to do now.

hobbers

Think I'd like to see Ocon to Merc, to complete an unlikable driver pairing for the most unlikable team on the grid.

Sainz to Audi. Albon to Alpine. Pellistri to RB. Alonso back to Mclaren once they're competitive.

Sorted.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
it’s poor carlos i feel sorry for. with his general speed it’ll be at least april before he realises this will mean he doesn’t have a drive for next year.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Think I'd like to see Ocon to Merc, to complete an unlikable driver pairing for the most unlikable team on the grid.

Sainz to Audi. Albon to Alpine. Pellistri to RB. Alonso back to Mclaren once they're competitive.

Sorted.
:lol:

that will forever be red bull whilst horner and marko are there. the rest of the team could solve world hunger and bring about world peace and those two would still make the whole outfit cnuts.

Krits

Honestly, don't know what to make of this. Hamilton is a great driver and he is gunning for No 8 to beat Schumi, who is my favourite driver. I guess if he does it in a Ferrari it will soften the blow. But I've never really liked Hamilton. Will have to support him now that he is in a Ferrari. Feels weird to me. But in a way exciting. I guess this is like the RvP move. If he comes to Ferrari and makes it win, I'll claim I always liked him :lol:

Wicked_Badger

Definitely didn’t see that one coming. Was sure he’d see out his days with Merc, especially with all the other side/long term projects he has with them.

He must have found out that the new Merc concept is as far away from winning as it has been for the past couple of years or Freddy has guaranteed that the Ferrari will be at the top in 26.