F1 2024 Season

pauldyson1uk

Perez: Ferrari would have won without Verstappen retirement
Sergio Perez speaking to Sky Sports F1 after finishing fifth at the Australian GP:
"We just didn't have the pace unfortunately. I think we struggled early on. We could see Ferrari and McLaren were a step ahead of us.
"We couldn't get the balance into the window. There's some work to do for the coming races. It was a very unique tarmac and throughout the weekend we were not able to manage the best possible grip level."
On what made the difference for his lack of race pace:
"Just as a team we didn't have the pace throughout the weekend.
"We were struggling already from Friday and never got on top of the management of tyres. We just have to understand and improve.
"We already saw on a track like this, like Vegas, Ferrari were stronger than us and we couldn't look after our front tyres."
On whether Ferrari would have won if Red Bull team-mate Max Verstappen did not retire:
"Absolutely yes."

pacifictheme

George is a really shit racer when it really matters

How many last lap crashes do you want
Sort of brake checked in a high speed corner. Whether Alonso meant to do that or he an issue, I am not sure that's on Russell at all.

Mike Smalling

Really happy for Sainz. Will be interesting to see where he ends up next year. Deserves a top seat.

dinostar77

Initially thought Russell ran out of talent once again. But looks like a Alonso brake test as he did to Hamilton last season in the closing stages of abu dhabi. Regardless the stewards will have all the data.

Shame it wasn't a RB on it's side, no one cares about the floor on a slow Mercedes being photographed.

Mercedes power trains aren't very reliable this season are they?

Once again Perez is utterly useless, max out. He should be winning in that car, but doesn't have the talent.

So what are the chances of Sainz being max teammate next season?

pauldyson1uk

Sort of brake checked in a high speed corner. Whether Alonso meant to do that or he an issue, I am not sure that's on Russell at all.
I have seen the footage a few times now and yeah I agree it does look like a sort of brake check and if you look at the same corner in the previous lap, the braking is clear but I dont see any reason why Alonso would do it deliberately, he said he had car trouble , dont see any reason to doubt him.

dinostar77

Stewards investigate crash
Alonso has been summoned by the stewards to come and explain the incident. Indeed, onboard footage shows that the 42-year-old Spaniard Alonso did indeed go off the throttle considerably as he approached turn six, considerably more than he did the lap before. It is therefore possible that this was a braking test.

However, Alonso already reported on his radio that he was having problems with his throttle and that he could not go full throttle, so possibly there are extenuating circumstances. The stewards' verdict is due within hours.

Chandok on whether it was delibrate.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/video/...cause-george-russells-huge-crash-in-australia

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

Alonso given 20-second time penalty for Russell incident
News in from the stewards. Fernando Alonso has been given a 20-second time penalty and three penalty points for what was at the "very least 'potentially dangerous' given the very high speed nature of that point of the track when defending against George Russell.
The penalty drops Alonso to eighth behind Lance Stroll and Yuki Tsunoda.

FFS he was my only correct postion in Fantasy League :lol:

hp88

What a wanker, won't really be doing himself any favours finding a seat for next year by brake checking someone.

dinostar77

What a wanker, won't really be doing himself any favours finding a seat for next year by brake checking someone.
Good point, maybe Mercedes will return the favour and not give him the seat for 25.

Ahmer Baig

George Russell post-race:

"My take is, I've gone off and that's on me.

"I was half a second behind Fernando, and suddenly he came towards me extremely quick.

"We're off to the stewards, so that's a bit bizzarre in this circumstance."

dinostar77

"I was half a second behind Fernando, and suddenly he came towards me extremely quick.

Which a few hours later has been investigated as an Alonso brake check and Alonso has been demoted to 8th and been given 3 penalty points.

Case closed

Balljy

It's worth quoting the rest of what he said to give the context.

“it’s clear that he braked 100 metres before the corner and then went back on the throttle again and took the corner normally.

“We’ve already seen the data of that. I’m not going to accuse him of anything until we’ve seen further.

“I was right behind him for many, many laps, I was half a second behind him approaching the corner and then suddenly he slowed up very dramatically and got back on the power. I just wasn’t expecting it and it caught me by surprise. That part’s on me but it’s interesting that we’ve been called to the stewards. I’m intrigued to see what they have to say.”

pauldyson1uk

The stewards' statement in full
The stewards heard from the driver of car 63 (George Russell), the driver of car 14 (Fernando Alonso), team representatives and reviewed positioning/marshalling system data, video, telemetry, team radio, in-car video evidence and telemetry supplied by both teams.
Car 63 crashed at the exit to turn six on lap 57. The stewards have extensively reviewed the situation that occurred prior to the crash.
Car 63 (George Russell) was following Car 14 (Fernando Alonso) approximately 0.5 seconds behind as the cars approached turn 6. Alonso explained to the stewards that he intended to approach turn six differently, lifting earlier, and with less speed into the corner, to get a better exit. Russell explained to the stewards that from his perspective, Alonso’s manoeuvre was erratic, took him by surprise and caused him to close distance unusually fast, and with the resulting lower downforce at the apex of the corner, he lost control and crashed at the exit of the corner. There was no contact between the cars.
Telemetry shows that Alonso lifted slightly more than 100m earlier than he ever had going into that corner during the race. He also braked very slightly at a point that he did not usually brake (although the amount of brake was so slight that it was not the main reason for his car slowing) and he downshifted at a point he never usually downshifted. He then upshifted again, and accelerated to the corner before lifting again to make the corner. Alonso explained that while his plan was to slow earlier, he got it slightly wrong and had to take extra steps to get back up to speed. Nonetheless, this manoeuvre created a considerable and unusual closing speed between the cars.
In considering the matter the stewards focused solely on the wording of the regulation which states “At no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person.” (Art 33.4)
Specifically, in this case, the stewards have not considered the consequences of the crash. Further, the stewards considered that they do not have sufficient information to determine whether Alonso’s manoeuvre was intended to cause Russell problems, or whether as he stated to the stewards that he simply was trying to get a better exit.
Should Alonso have the right to try a different approach to the corner? – yes.
Should Alonso be responsible for dirty air, that ultimately caused the incident? – no.
However, did he choose to do something, with whatever intent, that was extraordinary, i.e. lifting, braking, downshifting and all the other elements of the manoeuvre over 100m earlier than previously, and much greater than was needed to simply slow earlier for the corner? – yes by his own account of the incident he did, and in the opinion of the stewards by doing these things, he drove in a manner that was at very least “potentially dangerous” given the very high speed nature of that point of the
track.
This season, the FIA Formula 1 penalty guidelines, including for this breach have been reset and increased to a baseline of a 10s penalty. In addition, when there is some aggravating circumstance, we consider a Drive Through Penalty. In this case we consider that Alonso affirmatively choosing to perform an unusual manoeuvre at this point to be an aggravating circumstance, as opposed to a simple mistake. The stewards therefore order a drive through penalty, which will be converted to 20 seconds added to Car 14’s elapsed time, along with three penalty points.

Ahmer Baig

The last brake-test incident was only awarded a 10-second penalty despite being more blatant and in the middle of a straight.

United Hobbit

Just looked at the results as wasn't getting up at silly o clock, wow! When was the last time that went pop?

My super bru was fecked, although somehow I'm back in pole position :D

United Hobbit

I wonder if Ferrari are regretting binning Carlos off for Lewis

If I was RB or Mercedes I'd be trying to sign him up until he goes to that team he's linked with for 2026(?) Audi(?)

He looked a bit meh initially but he's really found some confidence and becoming a very good driver - possibly not Max level but I'd put him above Perez

laughtersassassin

Mechanical failure is always a shit way to lose a streak but shit happens.

Would have been interesting to see if Sainz would have won without that failure. They looked quick so potentially we just missed out on a more entertaining race.

Personally reckon Max probably would have won but who knows.

All in all wasn't a great race. Similar to the other with just a different winner. Happy for Sainz all the same though.

laughtersassassin

Perez: Ferrari would have won without Verstappen retirement
Sergio Perez speaking to Sky Sports F1 after finishing fifth at the Australian GP:
"We just didn't have the pace unfortunately. I think we struggled early on. We could see Ferrari and McLaren were a step ahead of us.
"We couldn't get the balance into the window. There's some work to do for the coming races. It was a very unique tarmac and throughout the weekend we were not able to manage the best possible grip level."
On what made the difference for his lack of race pace:
"Just as a team we didn't have the pace throughout the weekend.
"We were struggling already from Friday and never got on top of the management of tyres. We just have to understand and improve.
"We already saw on a track like this, like Vegas, Ferrari were stronger than us and we couldn't look after our front tyres."
On whether Ferrari would have won if Red Bull team-mate Max Verstappen did not retire:
"Absolutely yes."
He said that before Red Bull figured out he lost downforce due to debris to be fair.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
A bit disappointed really.

I was convinced that without Max, races would be much more exciting at the front.
All happened during pits, oh well

laughtersassassin

I was convinced that without Max, races would be much more exciting at the front.
The ironic thing is it's possible Red Bull fecking up in some way on Max's car today actually caused the race to be more boring.

Hard to tell of course but Ferrari looked quick enough so we may have had a fight at the front without the mechanical failure

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Great race from Sainz :drool: he is very consistent, and with that operation just 2 weeks ago, he deserves lot of respect.

Who would have thought that Max retiring in second lap wouldn't make the race any more interesting, shame.

If Alonso did that on purpose, it's really dirty, but it's not like we haven't seen it from him already. What I am interested to see is that if the Russel cornering speed was too quick to begin with, because his reaction was bit weird, but if he was doing his usual pace, then you can't blame him.

Also, they should bring Lawson back instead of Ricciardo, he can't even compete with Yuki these days.

dinostar77

The circuit is the issue. It's never been great for overtaking, even after the removal of turn 6. They should go back to Adelaide, it's a better track.

dinostar77

I wonder if Ferrari are regretting binning Carlos off for Lewis

If I was RB or Mercedes I'd be trying to sign him up until he goes to that team he's linked with for 2026(?) Audi(?)

He looked a bit meh initially but he's really found some confidence and becoming a very good driver - possibly not Max level but I'd put him above Perez
He's done pretty much feck all at Ferrari apart from Singapore last season. The car is finally to his liking a season or two, too late. Which is a shame as he's now showing his ability, whereas leclerc has looked the better driver for past two seasons when the car was twitchy with a loose unpredictable backend.

I'd like to see him up against Russell, (who I think he would beat consistently) and verstappen (who I think he would lose to over a season but he would be alot closer than Perez is to max. More of a Rosberg for Max than the pale Bottas imitation that is perez, and Bottas was shit).

dinostar77

Mechanical failure is always a shit way to lose a streak but shit happens.

Would have been interesting to see if Sainz would have won without that failure. They looked quick so potentially we just missed out on a more entertaining race.

Personally reckon Max probably would have won but who knows.

All in all wasn't a great race. Similar to the other with just a different winner. Happy for Sainz all the same though.
So do I. RedBull is so much better with degredation and I think max would have had it in the bag by being able to manage the tyres better. Perez just making excuses for being useless.