g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

F1 2024 Season

dinostar77

I am starting to think that Lewis is part of the problem, there is a lot of mistakes creeping into his racing, maybe frustration with the car.
He will be frustrated for sure. But what is he supposed to do (Russell as well), with a car that is slow in the straights, has no rear end grip in high speed corners and poor turn in, in low speed corners. If you can't trust the car you can't push it and yourself to the limit.

They brought new floors to Miami and there's been no improvement, more of a case of going backwards. It's as thought they need the biggest bit of luck, to have some debris get stuck in the floor for the car to come alive and work as it should in theory.

They have to make changes to both cars for qually otherwise they won't get into Q3.

Anyway hopefully Norris can get into the top 4 for qually, and his car is repairable (they didn't have spare new parts), cause he could be a genuine threat on Sunday.

pauldyson1uk

He will be frustrated for sure. But what is he supposed to do (Russell as well), with a car that is slow in the straights, has no rear end grip in high speed corners and poor turn in, in low speed corners. If you can't trust the car you can't push it and yourself to the limit.

They brought new floors to Miami and there's been no improvement, more of a case of going backwards. It's as thought they need the biggest bit of luck, to have some debris get stuck in the floor for the car to come alive and work as it should in theory.

They have to make changes to both cars for qually otherwise they won't get into Q3.

Anyway hopefully Norris can get into the top 4 for qually, and his car is repairable (they didn't have spare new parts), cause he could be a genuine threat on Sunday.
I can understand the frustration, he still wants to win and is pushing himself and the car, 3 seasons now of driving a dog of a car.
Upgrades seem to be a sticking point with Mercedes, none of them seem to work has expected, pretty much like the car.

hobbers

Max would probably rather retire from F1 and go endurance racing than join this iteration of Mercedes.

pauldyson1uk

Sky Sports F1's Ted Kravitz:

"There were plenty of bumps and grazes from the Sprint and we are still seeing the teams fixing their cars.

"There was a lot of damage to Stroll's car, the radiators and floors and only now have they fixed it. His weekend starts here.

"You can say the same thing for Lando Norris' car. His weekend starts here as well. Never mind the Sprint Qualifying, it's all about Qualifying and the Grand Prix. McLaren believe the set-up is good.

"Oscar Piastri was flying and his car pretty much remains the same.

"Ferrari have changed the set-up a little bit to try and calm down the tyre degradation. I don't think Ferrari have sacrificed any rear wing despite Carlos Sainz struggling to overtake Daniel Ricciardo.

"That's something Mercedes were thinking of doing. But it looks similar to the ones they had in the Sprint. Maybe they have given it a little twist either way, but I think it's more or less the same.

"No change on the Red Bull rear wins. Red Bull are happy with their set-ups."

pauldyson1uk

Norris reprimanded for crossing live track
Lando Norris has been reprimanded and given a €25,000 fine for crossing a live track following his retirement from the Sprint earlier today.
The Brit received a €50,000 fine but half of it is suspended on the condition that there is no further breach of a similar nature during the rest of the 2024 season.

pauldyson1uk

The 10 drivers who have made Q3
1) Charles Leclerc, Ferrari
2) Max Verstappen, Red Bull
3) Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes
4) Oscar Piastri, McLaren
5) Sergio Perez, Red Bull
6) Lando Norris, McLaren
7) Carlos Sainz, Ferrari
8) George Russell, Mercedes
9) Yuki Tsunoda, RB
10) Nico Hulkenberg, Haas

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Why is Lando driving on mediums ffs? It reminds me of myself when playing F1 game not knowing how many tires I have for the race.

Last edited:

hobbers

Mercedes with probably the most pointless move in qualifying ever. Wasted the best of two sets of mediums for literally nothing.

pauldyson1uk

Miami GP qualifying result: Top 10
1) Max Verstappen, Red Bull
2) Charles Leclerc, Ferrari
3) Carlos Sainz, Ferrari
4) Sergio Perez, Red Bull
5) Lando Norris, McLaren
6) Oscar Piastri, McLaren
7) George Russell, Mercedes
8) Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes
9) Nico Hulkenberg, Haas
10) Yuki Tsunoda, RB

hobbers

Natural order of the season restablishes. Max, Ferrarri, Ferrari, Perez, McLaren, McLaren, Mercedes, Mercedes

Boring

pauldyson1uk

Lando: We struggled more with the car today
Lando Norris on qualifying fifth on a McLaren third-row lockout:
"We did better than yesterday in terms of managing the tyres, but struggled a bit more with the car.
"We made some changes but potentially just not in the right direction. I was a lot more confident yesterday than I was today so, yeah, just some things to review.
"But obviously a better qualifying, it's close.
"I think we should be higher up. We did what we thought was right but on track sometimes things work out a little bit differently.
"We made some of those changes and I wish I could go back on them right now before tomorrow, but obviously we can't."

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Just watched Sprint. Very impressive from Ricciardo, his best race in a while, and they nailed the setup, Ferrari were slow on straights.

Ferrari is really shit after the safety car restart, this is the third time this year that Max pulls off more than a second in few corners after safety car restart.

redshaw

Lewis did a 1:27.697 in Q2 but couldn't get anywhere near it in Q3.

In general it's a poor track so far. I like the drivers to be challenged but this track is more chore and tedium, the chicane is a mess.

With teams still struggling to understand the GE cars as well I don't recall ever feeling so reluctant to watch a race. With United so rubbish, F1 weekend is usually a saviour.

United Hobbit

I prefer the older tracks, where if you go off there's consequences (gravel messing up the tyres or even getting beached)

People shouldn't be able to completely miss a corner and just drive across normal tarmac completely unhindered. It makes the track completely sterile and dull.

Wonder how many seconds Max will win by today. Also don't trust Ferraris not to take each other out/mess up strategy, thereby allowing Perez into 2nd for a RB 1-2 (which would at least get me prediction points)

Asger

I prefer the older tracks, where if you go off there's consequences (gravel messing up the tyres or even getting beached)

People shouldn't be able to completely miss a corner and just drive across normal tarmac completely unhindered. It makes the track completely sterile and dull.

Wonder how many seconds Max will win by today. Also don't trust Ferraris not to take each other out/mess up strategy, thereby allowing Perez into 2nd for a RB 1-2 (which would at least get me prediction points)
F1 nowadays is just boring. The cars are as well too much controlled by computers. I wonder if drivers today would be able to race 20-40 years old cars! :

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
F1 nowadays is just boring. The cars are as well too much controlled by computers. I wonder if drivers today would be able to race 20-40 years old cars! :
Considering most of them started by racing karts and other very raw racing series I'd say that answer is unequivocally yes. Save for a few, most got to where they are exactly because they are able to race and control vehicles that are low on tech. You could also turn it around: would a driver from 40 years ago be able to drive a F1 car of today? Both would have a bit of adapting to do but if you can race, you can race. These are still top tier drivers.