FA to investigate Edinson Cavani | This thread is taking a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Stupid move. No matter what it means in your language, you should be aware of how it sounds and reads in the country where you live and work. It’s just common sense.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Is it me just being hungover as feck, or is this thread actually comedy gold? I just can't stop laughing at so many posts, haven;t had this much fun in weeks :lol::devil:

Stupid move. No matter what it means in your language, you should be aware of how it sounds and reads in the country where you live and work. It’s just common sense.
It’s Spanish, it doesn’t “read” anything in English.

and if you moved to Uruguay tomorrow, would you be aware of how every English word “sounds” and “reads” there @ThinkTank@Cafe

Smores

It's not inappropriate language when it is a different language.

Had he been speaking english and said the N word in English there would be no arguement. But he used a word that in his language doesn't translate to be offensive.
That makes no sense at all. The acceptance of words or phrases is cultural not language defined. I don't think anyone is saying it's equivalent to the N word that would be ridiculous. If that's why people are defending this then you're way off the mark.

People really need to stop throwing a hissy that England is trying to set the norms of South America. He's representing the FA it's nothing to do with what South Americans may or may not do whilst not representing the FA.

Odin

Liverpool and Dalgliesh tried defending someone who had very obviously racially abused a black player. Cavanni has very clearly not racially abused anyone, so no, defending him does not mean straying into that territory.

Telling Cavanni that the word can come off as offensive to those unfamiliar with it, and advise him to avoid it in the future should be the end of it, really.
And with that said, it should be "case closed" - and thread likewise.

After a great comeback - and the fact that we were actually playing well when we went 2-0 down, there was a lack of negativity on the Caf.

thanks goodness for this thread. 21 pages already. Keep it up boys, it’s only Monday.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
So wait, was he referring to us wearing the black kit?

I dont understand why else he would say that in a post about scoring a goal/ winning the game.

*Edit. ah just seeing the comments about apparently what he said loosely translates to 'my friend' in Uruguay? :confused:
If so, this is surely gonna throw up some massive arguments why its ok for Cavani to use it but not Suarez. :nervous:
Because Suarez didn't say it.

lsd

The Oracle
This is bringing back bad memories of when I was at school and a girl overheard me talking to a mate about Arnold Schwarzenegger, and thought I'd said the 'n word'. Threatened to tell the teachers!

Spent the whole day thinking I was going to get expelled and sent to prison or something for being labelled a racist. Obviously nothing to do with this incident, just triggered an uncomfortable memory.

Although, I guess if you use it as a metaphor, Liverpool fans would be that girl right now.

I really hope she went to Uni and contracted a really bad case of herpes! Knowing how the universe works though, she's probably a higher up in the foreign office or something :(

Sounds like an excuse Suarez would use

Kounan

It is his private account, he can use any language he wants. Context is everything. I am Bosnian and if I write something in my own language, why should it matter what it means in other languages, if it has a friendly/non offensive meaning in my own language, regardless where I work.

ThinkTank@Cafe

It’s Spanish, it doesn’t “read” anything in English.

and if you moved to Uruguay tomorrow, would you be aware of how every English word “sounds” and “reads” there @ThinkTank@Cafe
I didn’t mention English language. English people are capable of reading Spanish words because the two nations happen to use Latin alphabet. They (English) also able to pronounce the words they read (even in Spanish) and to find similarity to a racist word in their language.

Also, Cavani should be aware of the situation happened to his fellow countryman and a player of his own club years before. Then, he could figure out that posting “N” word is not wise move.

P.S. I like Cavani and thrilled to see him in the United shirt. He is among top 10 strikers in the world. So, it is not an agenda, I’m criticizing his indiscretion, not himself as a person or a player. Lastly, I believe he didn’t mean anything bad.

SuperiorXI

This is bringing back bad memories of when I was at school and a girl overheard me talking to a mate about Arnold Schwarzenegger, and thought I'd said the 'n word'. Threatened to tell the teachers!

Spent the whole day thinking I was going to get expelled and sent to prison or something for being labelled a racist. Obviously nothing to do with this incident, just triggered an uncomfortable memory.

Although, I guess if you use it as a metaphor, Liverpool fans would be that girl right now.

I really hope she went to Uni and contracted a really bad case of herpes! Knowing how the universe works though, she's probably a higher up in the foreign office or something :(
I called someone a cnut once in school and they spread that I called them the racist c word; had a mob of kids following me around looking to jump me, scary! Lucky for me nothing happened.

McTerminator

Well it is mate, I’m as English as it gets but this is typically English, has been for centuries since the Empire. We (and especially the aristocracy) love to tell other cultures how to behave and the “proper way”.
Just cause it’s typically English doesn’t tar all English with that brush (like you and myself).
I Guess you’re right mate. I just wish it wasn’t typical English!

Smores

What’s FA has to do with anything here at all? It involved an action outside of the pitch/conferences and for all we know it was directed to someone in close circles to him those if there was any racism on the display it should be dealt by police first and foremost.
Because footballers like your average employee sign up to social media policies. That's just a thing these days and you have to act within those or face consequences.

Even if it's on your private account if you're an obvious representative of your organisation/body then it has to fall within those policies. People should be aware of that for their own good.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I don't understand Spanish or the context in South America. All I do know is the Spanish speakers I've asked about it have laughed and said it's completely ridiculous to consider it racist.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I wonder how many times other players have used the same phrase and the FA haven't even noticed.

RedChisel

Don’t be naive. There will be kids trying the word out for size.
delete tweet, apologize and move on. Don’t bring so much attention to it so that kids seek it out to see what the fuss is. Whatever the FA will do, so be it
Isn't that what I'm saying? Don't blow it out of proportion? Which is what hypocritical rags like the daily mail will do because he's a footballer.

The kind of kids who will try it out for size are the kind of scrotes who are a lost cause anyway due to their upbringing.

Jotun

Are you implying people should not speak spanish in public while in UK? If you see people in public talking endearing too each other, even if it sounds racists, you wouldn't go accusing them of racism. You would just realize they are using their language. It's just common sense.

Not to mention, Instagram is an international platform that allows for people to speak in their languages, according to their culture. In fact this whole outrage about Cavani is more racist than his post.

Defintion of racism from google:
"prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized. "

His comment was neither prejudice, discrimination or antagonism based on race (we don't even know if pablofer2222 is black, maybe he has black hair, maybe he is actually very pale and nickname is ironic).

However the outrage against him is suspiciously looks like antagonism against Cavani because of his different culture. Even your comment implies he should abandon his language and culture while working in UK.

I know that is not what you want or mean. But if you would like for UK to be multicultural country, then you should accept and embrace different cultures. If you don't want multiculturality in UK, well then just don't accept foreigners. But I guess that will happen anyway after new year.

Judging and condemning different languages and different cultural behaviour that is obviously not meant as offensive is just daft. If you are not sure if it's offensive, then educate yourself. For me that's just common sense.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Thiagoal

How the hell is he supposed to be aware of every potential phrase that could be wrongly perceived in Britain?

Inform the guy that referencing people in that way is considered derogatory in this country and move on! A ban would be absolutely ludicrous

Righteous Steps

It’s not racist. It’s always funny when you got a bunch of non black people trying to define what is racist and not, for the most part I’m not sure it’s by design but the authorities spend more time nitpicking than actually dealing with systematic racism.

Will also say, Latin Americans are no saints or angels when it comes to racism, in fact as a black man I would say they have a bigger problem with racism than many European countries including England, the scariest part is because they almost sort of don’t even acknowledge it.

Last edited:

Mic

Are they investigating David Luiz deliberate criminal foul that could have killed Jimenez and not even a foul was given? Did they investigate Pickford deliberate foul on Van Dick done with all the intention to take him out for as long as possible?

Righteous Steps

applauses!!!

btw, i'm south american, and proud of that, we use the physiognomy of people to make nick names, is not only based on race (which we don't see as something low but something different and is perfectly fine), we hav thousands of examples in football
"Cabezón (big head) Ruggeri", "flaco (skinny) Menotti" "Narigón (big nose) Bilardo" "Pelado (baldy) Almeyda" "Negro Enrique" "chino Tapia" "la bruja (witch for his nose) Berti"

the thing that you are trying to impose a whole continent to change it's ways because of what YOU did, is not in itself hypocritical, but another way of YOU thinking YOU are better than us
What who did? The Spanish were just as involved in slavery and Colonialism as Britain and many Latin Americans have a vast amount of European blood, and are more than happy to participate in the racism of their conquerors, more than happy.

Also, Cavani should be aware of the situation happened to his fellow countryman and a player of his own club years before. Then, he could figure out that posting “N” word is not wise move.
How many fecking times? You’d think someone called @ThinkTank@Cafe could actually think for himself, that isn’t what the FA findings show at all.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Stupid post. How would anyone be aware of how a word sounds and reads in a language they don’t speak? Knowing slightly similar sounding words in every single language in the world is common sense? You must be the greatest linguist the world has ever seen

Righteous Steps

i didn't say is casual or harmless, i said is not racism
we don't think of a black person as a lower kind, is just a person who happens to be black
that's all
the fact that for centuries in europe and north america black people were treated as flawed doesnt affect us in the same way
you did it, not us
and, i assure you that my black friends or the friends we call black wont like that we stop calling them "black" because of what you in the north think
if that happens, then is going to be about race
How is it for Black people in places such as Brazil? let alone places where the black presence has literally been white washed such as Uraguay and Argentina? You are ignorant to the experience so you paint it off as an European problem, it is not, it’s a world problem..

ThinkTank@Cafe

How the hell is he supposed to be aware of every potential phrase that could be wrongly perceived in Britain?

Inform the guy that referencing people in that way is considered derogatory in this country and move on! A ban would be absolutely ludicrous
I already answered the question 6 posts above yours. He did not mean anything bad and the story is inflated. Investigating a deleted post by FA is too much. Nevertheless, a star like Cavani should be more aware of what He posts.

Sara125

Accidentally posted my opinion in the Jordan Peterson thread so just gonna quote it here:

Hmm not really the same as Suarez. By using it in the context he did, Suarez knew what he was doing. Cavani can claim genuine ignorance/cultural barrier. Especially since he’s only been in the country for 5 minutes.

At the same time, perhaps there needs to be more steps to educating foreign players, especially from Spanish speaking countries where ‘negro’ is the actual word for black and is apparently commonly used as a term of endearment so they may think it’s acceptable here.

Edit: wrong thread

SuperiorXI

It's a different language... it's like going to Uruguay and calling someone from England a prat and then you're getting called racist for it. Ludicrous. It's not an English word for god sake...

Foxbatt

I nearly got fined for talking about the American Diplomat John Negroponte.

This year foreigners got upset because a boy band in The Philippines tweeted ," hello Negros". They were touring the island.
Ffs. Negros is a huge island in the Philippines. The 4th largest island.
It's time the British to realise they don't rule the world. If Cavani used it as a racist term he should be suspended. But it should be taken in context. Did he use it as a racist term to offend someone or to put him down? If so we should not support it and he should be fined too.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Difference between him and Suarez is that the former used it as a term of endearment with no mal-intent whereas the latter used it with the intent of doing harm/abuse.

However, knowing the FA when it comes to us, he'll probably get fined and banned.

SuperiorXI

Setting a crazy precedent if he gets banned for this. Completely mental.

Should we rename the country Niger because it sounds like something?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It is his private account, he can use any language he wants. Context is everything. I am Bosnian and if I write something in my own language, why should it matter what it means in other languages, if it has a friendly/non offensive meaning in my own language, regardless where I work.
He referred to someone using a term that references the colour of the skin. That appears to contravene the social media guidelines he is required to operate under. The fact that he did so in Spanish is only a defence if there is a waiver for doing so in a different language. Which I have yet to see any mention of.

Assuming that waiver doesn't exist, the onus is on him to modulate the language he uses on social media appropriately, in whatever language he is using. Which means that if certain terms in Spanish inherently breach those guidelines, he can't use those terms.

Obviously nobody expects a foreign player to immediately pick up on the nuances of language and culture in a new country. Which is why clubs are given these guidelines, so they can explain to their players what is and isn't acceptable. If the club didn't do that properly or the player didn't understand then that's something the player and club should look at.

It won't change the fact that the rules were broken though, or that the rules state he is responsible for what appears on his social media accounts, or that he is liable to be punished.

The talk about different languages, different cultures, PC-gone-mad-hysteria, people arguing that he isn't racist even though nobody is really accusing him of being racist, Suarez comparisons that don't make any sense, comparisons between social media posts and private conversations that don't make sense, English cultural imperialism, all of that is just noise. He either broke the rules he is required to operate under or he didn't. As is it appears he did, in which case he should receive an appropriate punishment that takes the context into account.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Stupid post. How would anyone be aware of how a word sounds and reads in a language they don’t speak? Knowing slightly similar sounding words in every single language in the world is common sense? You must be the greatest linguist the world has ever seen
Do you care to read the discussion on the board or just chasing the people who happened to have an argument with you in another thread?

When I was 22, I went to the States to make my Masters. Before I left, the head of the program in Kazakhstan reminded us (although everybody already knew) that the word “negr” (which is neutral and means a man of a black race in Russian/Kazakh) is considered racist, we should never use it even when speaking our languages.

it is just a common sense, so calm down and behave like an adult.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why would Cavani be banned longer than Silva?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
After the Suarez saga you would have thought Cavani or his team (not sure who actually posted it) would know better.
Suarez saga is irrelevant to knowing better. Everyone linked to Suarez would have known it was him trying to wind up an opponent, not something that required a PhD in Linguistics

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Just a question, and it makes little difference, but was the guy Cavani replying too black?

Status
Not open for further replies.