Fabinho | Al-Ittihad player

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I mean, he was the engine of the Monaco side that won the league with 95 points and reached a CL semi-final. In which he was one of only two monaco players who looked like they belonged at that level against juventus btw

That side then lost Mbappé, Lemar, Bernardo, Bakayoko and Mendy -literally half their outfield starters- and went on to finish second in the league with 80 points. Then they sold him....and completely fell apart. Meanwhile, look at liverpool
That's all a good point, he was really the last glue that kept them together in the season following their title.

Josh 76

Absolutely amazing player.
He's good. But well over rated.
I can name 5 players just on top of my head that would piss all over him.
Vieira
Keane
Gerrard (No biast)
Toure
Essein

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Vieira
Keane
Gerrard (No biast)
Toure
Essein
Literally no one has actually compared him to those.

Red Stone

Vieira
Keane
Gerrard (No biast)
Toure
Essein
It's not exactly shabby to not be better than the four best defensive midfielders in the history of the Prem... and Gerrard.

stepic

Vieira
Keane
Gerrard (No biast)
Toure
Essein
:lol:

the most annoying thing about this signing is that he was blatantly available, and blatantly good. And a position we needed. Hell we needed a defensive mid and a right back and still didn’t go for him. Incredible.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Just catching up with this thread...Fabinho not press-resistant? Is this a joke?

I would argue he's comfortably the best holding midfielder in the world at the moment, but even that label is overly restrictive because there is so much more to his game. Positionally he's flawless, brilliant on the ball, tenacious defensively, and obviously has a tremendous shot on him.

Another note to be highlighted is how flawless Klopp's handling of him was - allowing him to settle and easing him into the team has obviously been of tremendous benefit to all parties.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Just catching up with this thread...Fabinho not press-resistant? Is this a joke?

I would argue he's comfortably the best holding midfielder in the world at the moment, but even that label is overly restrictive because there is so much more to his game. Positionally he's flawless, brilliant on the ball, tenacious defensively, and obviously has a tremendous shot on him.

Another note to be highlighted is how flawless Klopp's handling of him was - allowing him to settle and easing him into the team has obviously been of tremendous benefit to all parties.
I read an interesting interview with Filipe Luis, on how a coach's inability can hamper the performance of a player.

He was talking about how Jorge Jesus gives him 4 passing options (he went into depths about the correct angle of the passing options etc) at all times, and that he would look much worse without him.

If Liverpool weren't correctly spaced, maybe we are talking about Fabinho 'giving the ball away' or stuff like we judge Fred.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
I read an interesting interview with Filipe Luis, on how a coach's inability can hamper the performance of a player.

He was talking about how Jorge Jesus gives him 4 passing options (he went into depths about the correct angle of the passing options etc) at all times, and that he would look much worse without him.

If Liverpool weren't correctly spaced, maybe we are talking about Fabinho 'giving the ball away' or stuff like we judge Fred.
Obviously a well drilled side and a good coach can make a good player great. That being said Fabinho was brilliant for Monaco and looked good for Brazil in the Copa America as well

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Obviously a well drilled side and a good coach can make a good player great. That being said Fabinho was brilliant for Monaco and looked good for Brazil in the Copa America as well
I agree that Fabinho is great, just more of a way Fred can be looking worse because of our lack of offensive system.

Also, Fabinho did not play the copa america btw

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

I think this is absolutely true. There are far more factors that go into why a player can fail beyond "they're shite". Far too often we as fans underrate the extent to which issues off the pitch can affect performance on it. Forming relationships with teammates, learning to communicate, learning patterns of play, and even understanding the weight of pass / receiving foot preference of teammates all take time to establish.

Lampard has done the same thing with Pulisic and the results speak for themselves. There are also hugely important & largely uncredited staff behind the scenes that do a lot to help acclimatise players; it's hard to thus lay all of the blame for his failings at Fred's feet, in my opinion. Whether this paints a broader indictment of United's infrastructure, I'm not sure, but it warrants further examination in my opinion.

ravi2

the most annoying thing about this signing is that he was blatantly available, and blatantly good. And a position we needed. Hell we needed a defensive mid and a right back and still didn’t go for him. Incredible.
Its more annoying he was quoted as being very interested in a united move before livers came calling

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Not a powerful and atheletic tackler the way Mascherano was.
But his cunning and ability to read the game puts him in good position to make one.
Being tall and having those long legs certainly helps winning the ball back.
What sets him apart from other CDM is his calmness under pressure, akin to Alisson.
He doesn't panic or get overzealous, allowing him to make the right decisions.

I think the manner in which Klopp attained his service is most telling.
Immediately after losing UCL final, Liverpool signed Fabinho, no messing about with protracted negotiation.

Bwuk

He's class. I was gutted when we didn't sign him from Monaco.

Eric's Seagull

Really wanted him at Monaco and would have liked to have signed him instead of Matic :(

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Jorge Jesus is a brilliant manager, with fantastic ideas, but clearly needs a strong assistant that can cool him down, because he has a very strong personality and that can clash with a lot of people.

But this shows how important the manager is on organizing his human resources: he has to make sure the players are comfortable at doing their regular chores on the field. if they are not, he's not doing his job very well.

Alabaster Codify7

Not good enough for United apparently, along with 3-4 other lads who won the CL last season and will win the PL this season. Not United enough. Didn't know the United Way, those lads.

MetoTTT

Always liked him and I was all for bringing him here. He's really a quality player ( intelligent too) but not forget Klopp makes this team work and gets the best out of their players. Everybody was raving about Keita. Not sure he would've been the same player here unfortunately.

passing-wind

Been absolutely quality it's ridiculous how many players Klopp has developed: Trent, Salah, Mane, Fabinho, Firminho, Robertson he's by some distance easily the best manager in world football. Lack of DOF has decapitated our transfer policy over the years, we could have got a Fabinho / Laporte for decent value.

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He's stepped up another level this season with his passing and playmaking. Not shy about the difficult passes. For our deepest lying midfielder, he makes a surprising number of good balls in behind the defence.

He's such a one man show at times, I sometimes find myself wondering where the other midfielders are and why they aren't helping him out more, but he doesn't need it.

Not saying he's as good, but he's the closest thing I've seen to Vieira since he was at his peak. Mascherano was a top player, but this guy is a cut above masch.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The way he beats a press single handedly just opens up the game for us. No more fecking sideways passes that led to so many draws last season. :cool:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Gutted. Our best midfielder this season. Our fixtures aren’t too bad on paper, it’s just that there’s a lot of them.

We were due a bad injury tbf.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Gutted. Our best midfielder this season. Our fixtures aren’t too bad on paper, it’s just that there’s a lot of them.

I mean we had Alisson out for a couple months, Robbo and Salah are carrying niggling injuries. I suspect Fabinho won’t be fully fit till February going off the timescales of all our previous injuries.

Good news is it’s in the position we have the most depth, it’ll mean opportunities for Lallana Keita Ox and Shaqiri, Milner even. A possible 4-2-3-1 in some instances. I think it’ll be Lallana on Saturday going off the villa game, personally I’d go with Gini however it’s an opportunity for someone to stake a claim. I’d be a lot more worried if we lose a full back VVD or one of the front three. It’s a chance for some really high quality players to ignite or reignite their Liverpool careers.

macheda14

You could probably get a few more with the amount of fixtures piling up. This is a big test of Klopp’s ability to rotate. If you come through December virtually unscathed then you’ll walk the league.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Will you get a replacement in January or do you see yourself having one already in your ranks?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Will you get a replacement in January or do you see yourself having one already in your ranks?
Nah I think he’ll rotate or possibly alter the midfield set up. Henderson, Wijnaldum & Lallana will likely take turns playing the no. 6. Keita will probably get some game time too.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
With 4231 it means our FBs won't be bombing up with gay abandonment. At least not at the same time. Could mean cleaner sheets but less chance creation. Ox will really need to up his game and get some goals.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
With 4231 it means our FBs won't be bombing up with gay abandonment. At least not at the same time. Could mean cleaner sheets but less chance creation. Ox will really need to up his game and get some goals.
In terms of pressing and overall midfield organizational play, Ox is still far away from Wijnald and Henderson. He needs to catch up fast. His athleticism will carry him to some distance and mask some difficiency for the time being.