Fabinho

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisDanGaal

Jose unequivocally denying anymore potential incomings means nothing though as far as I'm concerned. He's hardly going to say "Yeah well, Jones and Rojo are rubbish would love to sell them, I don't fancy Darmian much either." I think if he has the opportunity to strengthen his 23 he'll take it. Probably won't be any more business but yeah, I wouldn't completely rule it out.

Sorry I thought it had been well established that Castles was Mendes bitch, that's what I read on here anyway! Which if that was the case I thought it might just be PR to get people interested in Fabinho and Fonte. If he's not as connected to Mendes as I've been led to believe, then yeah, probably talking out his big alopecia ridden ass.
He has been involved in leaks a couple of times as have several journalists but I very much doubt he can speed dial 1 and have a natter with jose about our transfer plans, he gets stuff wrong constantly, genuinely all of the time with regards to us.

Jose has been very straight forward about transfers, we wanted four players, he even told us roughly when we would have them by then he said that was it done, unless a spate of players left so he had to dip in to the market for replacements. Nobody wants to leave at the minute. It is far too late anyway, nobody actually in the squad is suddenly going to want out and anyone outside of it like bastian aren't in the plans anyway.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
He has been involved in leaks a couple of times as have several journalists but I very much doubt he can speed dial 1 and have a natter with jose about our transfer plans, he gets stuff wrong constantly, genuinely all of the time with regards to us.

Jose has been very straight forward about transfers, we wanted four players, he even told us roughly when we would have them by then he said that was it done, unless a spate of players left so he had to dip in to the market for replacements. Nobody wants to leave at the minute. It is far too late anyway, nobody actually in the squad is suddenly going to want out and anyone outside of it like bastian aren't in the plans anyway.
We don't have long to wait anyway to see how the window ends for us.

Do you not think Rojo to Valencia is likely to happen? Plenty of Italian clubs will be looking at Darmian too. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see these two depart.

Last edited:

izec

I can see us signing him because his wife started following us not long ago and I am not even joking. We are probably at least in contact with him. Three or four deals that we have completed in the past few years have had said player or his family following Man United or its players (or the other way around) with a transfer wrapped up eventually. Such are the times we live in.
:lol: Jesus, even Kevin turned into a muppet.

izec

Rojo and Darmian out, Fabinho in would be fantastic. I would give Darmian another season, but he is someone we can get good money for now and would be useless once Fabinho comes in. Darmian seems so low on confidence and seeing Valencia bossing it, while Fabinho is in the perfect spirit to move to us. Rojo is just overall average.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I almost forgot about his wife following United on Instagram. L'Equipe are usually quite reliable when it comes to French transfers, right? Castles is obviously close to Mendes...

izec

I almost forgot about his wife following United on Instagram. L'Equipe are usually quite reliable when it comes to French transfers, right? Castles is obviously close to Mendes...
The plot thickens. 3 decent sources, you cant deny their is a fair chance of this going through. Woody also always had a deadline day deal right? Will want to continue it and make it 4 in a row i guess knowing Woody.

surf

Darmian is a strange one, like other so-called vangled players such as Schneiderlin, Memphis, and maybe also Herrera to a lesser extent. Fact is that Mourinho has them just as low in the pecking order as Vangle, preferring players like Valencia and Fellaini.

LouisDanGaal

We don't have long to wait anyway to see how the window ends for us.

Do you not think Rojo to Valencia is likely to happen? Plenty of Italian clubs will be looking at Darmian too. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see these two depart.
Rojo is a left back for Mourinho and with CBJ gone i'm pretty certain he will still be here, Fabinho plays on the wrong side to be a replacement for him, so if he were to come in it would be darmian I assume. Can't imagine Mourinho not giving Darmian a chance though because there is certainly a player in there. I just can't see any more transfers as boring as that is, would love a mini muppet quick turnaround signing.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We need rojo (who can play as cb/lb) more then we need fabinho especially since Bailly will go for the accuracy and Jones is injury prone. However the weakest link is Jones. Mou keeps him on the stands and he barely mention him anymore

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Don't need Fabinho.

We need a year of sticking with the current players, letting Pogba, Mkhitaryan adjust and being a spine of the team, then adding next year, another player and addition would cause instability.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Don't need Fabinho.

We need a year of sticking with the current players, letting Pogba, Mkhitaryan adjust and being a spine of the team, then adding next year, another player and addition would cause instability.
Is there that much difference from adding 4 players compared to adding 5?

Plus I remember when Mourinho went to Chelsea the first time and the first team had a new GK (Cech), RB (Ferreira), CB (Carvalho), CM (Tiago), LW (Robben) and ST (Drogba) for the first team and they gelled pretty well and quickly.

Also in 2009 at Inter he bought half of his CL winning first team that summer (Millito, Eto'o, Sneijder, Motta, Lucio + Pandev in January).

devips

Why do we need Fabinho at all? Is he really better than Darmian? The guy doesn't even get into the current piss poor Brazil team!

Brophs

The One and Only
Why do we need Fabinho at all? Is he really better than Darmian? The guy doesn't even get into the current piss poor Brazil team!
I don't have a dog in this fight and don't really have a particular view on Fabinho but when you look at the shambles Brazil have been over the past couple of years, him not getting in the side could be just as indicative of the managers - Dunga et al - being absolutely pony and not knowing a good player when they see one as it is of him not even being better than the shit they've put in a yellow jersey in that time.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
To me, the players who are really surplus to requirements are Schweiny and Ashley. Would keep the rest of the first team squad. The only purchase really worth considering is a young striker who would play for the reserves or on loan.

Darmian, Jones, Rojo, Blind/Smalling is a high quality replacement back line. Injuries in the past have led us to need more so still possible that Tuanzebe or Riley could get a game.

For midfield we have Pogba, Fellaini, Carrick, Herrera and Schneidy which is very good, Mkhitaryan, Mata, Martial, Memphis, Lingard options for the wings so Young feels extra. Up front we have lots of options. The squad looks well equipped.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
To me, the players who are really surplus to requirements are Schweiny and Ashley. Would keep the rest of the first team squad. The only purchase really worth considering is a young striker who would play for the reserves or on loan.
Young is still useful. Sure he will play in all the cup competitions. As for another striker. Martial will be a lot happier as a 9 than on the wings.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Young is still useful. Sure he will play in all the cup competitions. As for another striker. Martial will be a lot happier as a 9 than on the wings.
I don't see the point. I think Jesse is ahead of him and Memphis needs football to develop. I don't like him at full back. He seems happy being a squad player and I doubt any other club can afford his wages so it is not a huge problem or anything but he seems extra to me.

Totally agree re Martial and see him as a striker really, but there is room at the club for a Calvert-Lewin or similar.

Scholsey2004

I don't see the point. I think Jesse is ahead of him and Memphis needs football to develop. I don't like him at full back. He seems happy being a squad player and I doubt any other club can afford his wages so it is not a huge problem or anything but he seems extra to me.

Totally agree re Martial and see him as a striker really, but there is room at the club for a Calvert-Lewin or similar.
We're pretty close to the required number of home grown players nowadays. I'd agree we can live without him as a player but by my reckoning we only have nine home growns (8 required) and carrick is 34.

Scholsey2004

He's a he'll of a lot quicker than darmian for a start. Having darmian at full back is like an invitation to wingers.

Mark Pawelek

We're pretty close to the required number of home grown players nowadays. I'd agree we can live without him as a player but by my reckoning we only have nine home growns (8 required) and carrick is 34.
Excluding Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Martial, 14 United players are 'not home grown'. Schweinsteiger is not in the squad, Schneiderlin is home grown, Martial and Shaw are still under 22 so none of it applies to them yet. That leaves 8 home grown players (including Schneiderlin). The 4 others are still too young for the rule to apply: Marcus Rashford, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Luke Shaw, and Anthony Martial; all of whom were 20, or under, at the start of this year, so don't yet come under the restriction. My understanding of the rule is not 'at least 8 home grown players are required'. It's no more than 17 can be non-Home Grown Players.

Scholsey2004

Excluding Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Martial, 14 United players are 'not home grown'. Schweinsteiger is not in the squad, Schneiderlin is home grown, Martial and Shaw are still under 22 so none of it applies to them yet. That leaves 8 home grown players (including Schneiderlin). The 4 others are still too young for the rule to apply: Marcus Rashford, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Luke Shaw, and Anthony Martial; all of whom were 20, or under, at the start of this year, so don't yet come under the restriction. My understanding of the rule is not 'at least 8 home grown players are required'. It's no more than 17 can be non-Home Grown Players.
No, its a minimum of eight home grown players. Read the attached: http://www.epfl-europeanleagues.com/quota_for_Premier_League.htm . And its 21 not 22 that players are counted.

Last edited:

Shimo

No, its a minimum of eight home grown players. Read the attached: http://www.epfl-europeanleagues.com/quota_for_Premier_League.htm
"From next season, clubs must include eight home-grown players out of a squad of 25.‪"

What you have stated is not entirely accurate. It only applies if you submit a squad of 25 players that are over the age of 21. Essentially you can only have 17 players that are over 21 that are not considered homegrown. That is why City / Chelsea previously even though did not have 8 homegrown players, did not have an issue because they also didn't have over 17 non-homegrown over 21 players.

Edit: I was also under the same impression as you - must have 8 homegrown until someone showed me my mistake with the Chelsea/City example

Scholsey2004

"From next season, clubs must include eight home-grown players out of a squad of 25.‪"

What you have stated is not entirely accurate. It only applies if you submit a squad of 25 players that are over the age of 21. Essentially you can only have 17 players that are over 21 that are not considered homegrown. That is why City / Chelsea previously even though did not have 8 homegrown players, did not have an issue because they also didn't have over 17 non-homegrown over 21 players.

Edit: I was also under the same impression as you - must have 8 homegrown until someone showed me my mistake with the Chelsea/City example
After much muttering and internet browsing I found you we're right. Apologies to the previous poster, that's not something I'd come across before. Strictly speaking we're unlikely to submit a full 25 anyway with rashford and martial under 21 so we could indeed move on young. I'd still keep schneiderlin though.

izec

This isnt happening. I am fairly certain we will be back next summer anyway, wait for us sweet Brazilian prince.

Womp

idiot
Watched the game against PSG, looked absolute class at times against that lot playing as a DM, would be a good option next to Pogba. Won't happen though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Apparently, he doesn't like playing in midfield.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Isnt that Sidibe fella their starting RB now? I guess he has to, he seems to be the best option there anyway.
He will play in midfield but I suppose that if he moves it will be to play in his favorite position. And he isn't moving this year.

Scholsey2004

He will play in midfield but I suppose that if he moves it will be to play in his favorite position. And he isn't moving this year.
Could be he feels he's more likely to get games for Brazil at rb than midfield. When Monaco qualified for CL that probably blew this one out of the water.

Jaybomb

We won't sign anymore, I don't think.

Valencia has looked good and Darmian might get a few games to prove himself aswell.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
We won't sign anymore, I don't think.

Valencia has looked good and Darmian might get a few games to prove himself aswell.
Then we have TFM and Young still on the books who can play full back, Jones too i guess. And i bet Bailly could play there aswell if Blind and Smalling play CB.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I agree on Young. Seems he's hiding at the back of the classroom and hoping nobody notices he's still there. Probably keeps his head down in training and makes little noise.

He's behind Memphis and Martial on the left, and behind half our squad on the right.

United Pro

LB is a bigger concern than RB as far as depth is concerned. I only think we'd have bought Fabinho in if we had sold one of our non-Schweiny CMs.
I think we're fairly stacked in both full back positions. LB we have Shaw first choice, with Rojo, Darmian and Blind as cover. LVG played Fosu Mensah there last season at times and the fact that Mourinho played Azpilecueta (very similar to Fosu Mensah) as a LB shows that he may well be an option there this season aswell.

AR87

I think we're fairly stacked in both full back positions. LB we have Shaw first choice, with Rojo, Darmian and Blind as cover. LVG played Fosu Mensah there last season at times and the fact that Mourinho played Azpilecueta (very similar to Fosu Mensah) as a LB shows that he may well be an option there this season aswell.
Yeah, I wasn't even including Rojo as I think he's demonstrated that he's awful at LB in the Prem, though maybe he's another one that was jaded under LVG. Blind is the only one out of that group I rate at LB as I think his intelligence in making runs and deliver adds alot to our attacking play from that position, but I would rather keep him at CB unless it's an injury crisis facing us.

You're right though Darmian can play there and TFM did see some time there, so perhaps Mourinho wouldn't shy away from giving him an opportunity. We'll have a better idea once Europa games start.

Status
Not open for further replies.