Fabinho

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThanksBoss26

Obviously like the Fonte rumours, it's not an essential transfer but it would be nice to add him to the squad, especially as he seems to bring some versatility.
Yeah, pretty much how I see it, though I hope we can work Monaco's alleged interest in Rojo into any deal. The squad would be a bit bloated if we brought in or two more in without getting any out.

Reynoldo

Yeah, pretty much how I see it, though I hope we can work Monaco's alleged interest in Rojo into any deal. The squad would be a bit bloated if we brought in or two more in without getting any out.
Rojo out - Fabinho in would be great really. Nobody wants Rojo here and although they play different positions we have enough cover in Darmian and Blind for left back and Jones & Blind for CB.

Ideally Rojo & Jones out and Fabinho & Fonte in would make the squad a whole lot better looking but maybe Jones deserves one last chance with a manager who has a very good record with injuries.

Of course there is also the option of Darmian out and Fabinho in which would be grand too but I would prefer any option that gets Rojo out.

And as people have added Fabinho can play CDM too so could be developed as an option there.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Do we think that Fabinho would replace Valencia at Right Back then? I think Valencia's been playing well.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
All of his 5 games for Monaco this season has been as CDM. Perhaps that is where Mourinho plans on using him if we buy him?

Reynoldo

Do we think that Fabinho would replace Valencia at Right Back then? I think Valencia's been playing well.
I think possibly but let form dictate in the long term. Valencia is on fire now and could have one of his seasons but when he dips he dips bad and its such an important position we need to have someone there on form.

Reynoldo

All of his 5 games for Monaco this season has been as CDM. Perhaps that is where Mourinho plans on using him if we buy him?
Could be but having other options for RB and CDM is a good thing. I think getting him in and Rojo out makes good sense either way.

RB: Valencia, Fabinho (& Darmian)
CB: Bailly, Smalling, Blind, Jones(/Fonte)
LB: Shaw, Darmian

With also the option of Fabinho in midfield or, as I said, primarily in midfield and back up right back depending on how Jose sees him.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think possibly but let form dictate in the long term. Valencia is on fire now and could have one of his seasons but when he dips he dips bad and its such an important position we need to have someone there on form.
Yes, plus Fabinho can play DM so that might be in Jose's thinking (if we are really interested)

Sigma

We're not buying Fabinho, I don't know why people think we are

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Seems to be pointless signing unless he's verging on world class. We have numbers both at RB and in midfield.

Skills

Snitch
Seems to be pointless signing unless he's verging on world class. We have numbers both at RB and in midfield.
We have lots of options for CM, but I think we're probably still lacking at CDM. The likes of Schneiderlin, Herrera, Pogba, Perreira would ideally play infront of a CDM.

The only options we have there are Carrick, Schweinsteiger and seemingly Fellaini from this seasons form. Schweinsteigers clearly not wanted, Carrick might just be edging over the hill and I'm not sure if anyone really believes Fellaini will be a long term option there.

C'est Moi Cantona

If we get this guy could we not push Valencia into the RW position? He's playing well, crossing well, and crucially has the pace we are lacking on the right.

Then let Miki and Mata fight it out for the number 10 position, obviously Rooney complicates things, but nothing new there.

dichinero

Exactly, people are getting carried away without even watching him. He doesn't get games at RB and isn't exactly tearing the league at DM.

AR87

If we get this guy could we not push Valencia into the RW position? He's playing well, crossing well, and crucially has the pace we are lacking on the right.

Then let Miki and Mata fight it out for the number 10 position, obviously Rooney complicates things, but nothing new there.
I wouldn't want to move Valencia from a position he's thriving in, especially since Fabinho seems to be more of a DM currently than an RB.

C'est Moi Cantona

I wouldn't want to move Valencia from a position he's thriving in, especially since Fabinho seems to be more of a DM currently than an RB.
Fair enough, but I always thought Fabinho would be bought for the RB position, and we are pretty stacked in midfield just now anyway.

I see no reason why Valencia wouldn't do just as well further up the pitch, it is his attacking that is impressing me more than his defending.

AR87

Fair enough, but I always thought Fabinho would be bought for the RB position, and we are pretty stacked in midfield just now anyway.

I see no reason why Valencia wouldn't do just as well further up the pitch, it is his attacking that is impressing me more than his defending.
I think he's effective attacking on the overlap and with Mata drifting inside taking his marker with him it's creating 1v1 situations with plenty of space for him to exploit. I don't think he'd get that same luxury if he's playing at RW with Fabinho at RB as neither can Valencia cut inside effectively nor have I seen Fabinho be an effective overlapping RB in the few times I have seen him at that position.

My belief is that if we buy Fabinho we'll move Schneiderlin, but that's complete conjecture on my part so I could be very wrong.

Dazzmondo

People seem quite adamant that this is likely to happen. Haven't seen anything that sounds reliable tbh but maybe I've just missed something. Don't really see the need for him unless we're selling Darmian. If we are, he'd be okay as a backup but I personally wouldn't be happy if he replaced Valencia in the starting XI (not that I think he would). If they want Rojo they can get him without including Fabinho in the deal. The mention of him in the deal makes me even more convinced that this is likely bs. If we were selling Rojo I think he'd be gone by now. We'll probably just keep him as backup. The way I've read his situation Rojo seems to have already had his chance to leave and chose to stay (likely because of his wage). Not even convinced by the Fonte story tbh. I think our business is done unless a top player suddenly becomes available.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
All this talk about buying him because he's also a DM.
We got schneiderlin, Fella and even Blind to cover this spot.
If nothing works out, we got Schweini.
No need for a new defensive midfielder.
Last time we got a player from Monaco it didn't turn out well.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Martial?

space

Don't know much about him, probably don't need him, but his name sounds good, I reckon we should get him

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fellaini isn't a true defensive midfielder, despite his two fairly impressive matches. I don't think Morgan Schneiderlin is good enough, and it looks like Blind will spend the season - and perhaps his whole career here - as a LCB/LB. Basti will hopefully never play here again.

Martial was the last player we got from Monaco.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
For the people who want Jones out, does the club not have to have a full contingent of english or homegrown players to worry about? They have let a lot of british/irish lads go the last few seasons and havent really brought any in except for Shaw.

3KDré

Rooney, Shaw, Smalling, Rashford, Lingard are all enough.

I think?

Midfield

Red
Our last signing from Monaco was Martial, I take it that the player who didn't so well was el tigre Radamel Falcao?

Scholsey2004

Rooney, Shaw, Smalling, Rashford, Lingard are all enough.

I think?
Only players over 21 at the start of the season count towards the home grown quota. Rooney, lingard, carrick, shaw, smalling , Jones, young, johnstone and schneiderlin for having been in England for over 3 years prior to his 21st birthday.

Scholsey2004

For the people who want Jones out, does the club not have to have a full contingent of english or homegrown players to worry about? They have let a lot of british/irish lads go the last few seasons and havent really brought any in except for Shaw.
That's a legitimate concern, especially with carrick, Rooney and young all over 30 and johnstone not being guaranteed to stay long term.

Scholsey2004

I think he's effective attacking on the overlap and with Mata drifting inside taking his marker with him it's creating 1v1 situations with plenty of space for him to exploit. I don't think he'd get that same luxury if he's playing at RW with Fabinho at RB as neither can Valencia cut inside effectively nor have I seen Fabinho be an effective overlapping RB in the few times I have seen him at that position.

My belief is that if we buy Fabinho we'll move Schneiderlin, but that's complete conjecture on my part so I could be very wrong.
Schneiderlins part of the home grown contingent though so it's worth keeping him.

Status
Not open for further replies.