Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.

::sonny::

No Ronaldo, No Bale, No Thiago, No Baines, No Fellaini and now no Fabregas. I wonder if Charlie Adam is for sale.

walsh

We have too few verified facts at our disposal to reach any firm conclusions as to what the real agenda was.

My take, which is as useless as anyone else's speculation, is that we were never serious about bringing in Fabregas. My support for that conclusion is that a bid of 25m was far too low of a bid to be of any interest to Barcelona. And even if the idea were to start low and work your way up, it was too low of a bid to be taken seriously. And when we raised that bid to a still absurdly low 30m, it should have been clear this was never going to happen.

Then why? You got me there. The grassy knoll conspiracy theorist in my suspect it was merely an effort by United management to set the table for settling on Fellaini. That may an unwarranted leap, but that's my leap. And take careful note that I do not suggest this necessarily makes any sense.

What makes more sense to me is putting in a serious bid for Modric, who seems more surplus to requirements to Real than Fabregas does to Barcelona. I have no idea whether Real would sell Modric at any price, but an opening bid of 40m would have been difficult to toss in the trash can.

But it could well be that Moyes as surveys the battlefield he sees the following: no way in Hades does he sell Rooney and that what he needs more than a midfielder in the mold of Fabregas and Modric is a midfielder in the mold of Fellaini. Rather than a silky passer in the last third (Fabregas and Modric) he needs a defensive midfielder who's good for the oddball goal off the cross.

Moyes knows a bit more about football than I do, so if that's his judgment then I will defer to him, sit back in my barcalounger and witness the unfolding of events as the gods proclaim.

Jesus H. Christ.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
No Ronaldo, No Bale, No Thiago, No Baines, No Fellaini and now no Fabregas. I wonder if Charlie Adam is for sale.

We'd win many, many trophies with him and Anderson in the middle. It's just a shame our fans don't seem to regard the pie eating contents highly though.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
We cant just go around putting in 40m bids for everyone. This isnt FM. There is absolutely no problem for Modric at Real. He doesnt have too much competition in his position.
It's a fair point of disagreement, but my response is that we have zero chance of landing the quality of midfielder we all want to see come to OT when opening bids are made at 25m. Events have borne that out, have they not?

You are wrong here as well. We need both a creative/playmaker and a defensive mid. Not just one.
What we want and what we need are two different things. We really do need a creative/playmaker midfielder whereas we only a want a defensive midfield. Put it this way: if we brought in both a creative mid and a defensive mid the former would be an automatic starter (assuming top class such as Fabregas or Modric) whereas the latter (assume Fellaini or Capoue) would likely be cover for Carrick -- unless you're suggesting we need to bring in a defensive midfielder who would relegate Carrick to the bench as well a creative mid who would relegate Cleverley to the bench. I can't see that happening. Yes, bring in a defensive mid but that defensive mid would be brought on periodically as cover for Carrick or in game situations where Carrick could use a partner in front of the back four.

Perhaps I can put it a way we might agree: we need an attacking mid more than we need a defensive mid, although we could absolutely use both. Does this work for you?

A bit more? A bit? Really? Do you have a license of any sort other than driving?
Obviously, my sarcasm didn't come across very well. To leave no room for doubt as to my qualifications to pass judgment on David Moyes, he has forgotten more about football than all of us tards on the caf will ever know.
[/quote]

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
So where are we now in the Transfer League table? We must be hovering over the relegation zone at this stage. Moyes better get his fecking act together quick

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Jesus H. Christ.
I love the quality of some of the responses here.

Perhaps it would be best if I proclaimed how "embarrassed" we should all be, or how we're a shit club because City and Chelsea have spent gazillions and we haven't or how Moyes and Edward Woodward are morons. Or just a primal "feck sake".

Better?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
It's a fair point of disagreement, but my response is that we have zero chance of landing the quality of midfielder we all want to see come to OT when opening bids are made at 25m. Events have borne that out, have they not?
You keep saying the same thing. When we bid a starting amount we know its not going to be accepted. But we are trying to gauge how much higher they want. Lets say our 35m for Cesc was accepted. If we started at 40m, would that be a bigger loss for us? They might have rejected our 40m first bid due to the fact that we would be willing to pay more than 40m which means he will cost us even more.

What we want and what we need are two different things. We really do need a creative/playmaker midfielder whereas we only a want a defensive midfield.
What are the feck are you talking about again? We NEED both a creative midfielder and a defensive mid. The latter is obviously going to be backup for Carrick. But Carrick cant go on forever, so we need a replacement soon.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
You keep saying the same thing. When we bid a starting amount we know its not going to be accepted. But we are trying to gauge how much higher they want. Lets say our 35m for Cesc was accepted. If we started at 40m, would that be a bigger loss for us? They might have rejected our 40m first bid due to the fact that we would be willing to pay more than 40m which means he will cost us even more.

How can either of you be arsed with this speculative to-ing and fro-ing with zero idea of what actually went on?

LR7

For what it's worth, Graham Hunter says it was his agent who began pushing this deal. He reckoned it was a sort of window shopping, where Fabregas let us know he'd be willing to move if we got Barcelona to agree to it. Then he waited to see what Barca would do. If they accepted the United bid then he'd be happy to come here as he's be a key player for a big team and earn more money. If they refused the bids then he hadn't lost anything and would be reassured of his position in the team. Either way Cesc couldn't lose.
I can totally see how this could be the case.
But I still can't see why we ever thought £25-30m would do the trick. Barcelona bought him for £27m from Arsenal and have to split the profit on any sale with them. If we wanted Barcelona to consider the bid (in the hope that if they agree it Cesc will come here) it had to be attractive and lucrative for them. None of those bids are even close, given that there's barely any profit in there at all for them and they already lost a CM this window.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
But I still can't see why we ever thought £25-30m would do the trick. Barcelona bought him for £27m from Arsenal and have to split the profit on any sale with them. If we wanted Barcelona to consider the bid (in the hope that if they agree it Cesc will come here) it had to be attractive and lucrative for them. None of those bids are even close, given that there's barely any profit in there at all for them and they already lost a CM this window.

I guess we figured Barcelona (while not keen on selling) would eventually accept a bid as they have spent a lot on Neymar and need to buy a centre back. So we decided to offer low and gradually increase it until it got to the point that they couldn't refuse. We were basically trying to get the best deal possible, confident that they would eventually have to sell.

It's not unusual to make a low bid to start off with. Chelsea did it with Rooney and Arsenal did it with Suarez. Neither of those bids were ever going to be accepted, it's just a starting point. I think we were prepared for a drawn out negotiation from the beginning.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
So where are we now in the Transfer League table? We must be hovering over the relegation zone at this stage. Moyes better get his fecking act together quick
Sky actually showed that table earlier. We're 17th with £2.4 million spent, ahead of Newcastle, Arsenal and some other team who have all spent nothing.

LR7

I guess we figured Barcelona (while not keen on selling) would eventually accept a bid as they have spent a lot on Neymar and need to buy a centre back. So we decided to offer low and gradually increase it until it got to the point that they couldn't refuse. We were basically trying to get the best deal possible, confident that they would eventually have to sell.

It's not unusual to make a low bid to start off with. Chelsea did it with Rooney and Arsenal did it with Suarez. Neither of those bids were ever going to be accepted, it's just a starting point. I think we were prepared for a drawn out negotiation from the beginning.
I understand its a common negotiating tool. However unlike with Rooney/Suarez, this wasn't a player they particularly wanted to sell, or who particularly wanted to leave, so its a bit of different to standard transfer bidding. We needed to hit that price where Barcelona felt, 'ok, we weren't keen on selling but this is too good to refuse' - neither of those bids were anywhere near.

walsh

Perhaps it would be best if I proclaimed how "embarrassed" we should all be, or how we're a shit club because City and Chelsea have spent gazillions and we haven't or how Moyes and Edward Woodward are morons. Or just a primal "feck sake".

Better?
No, that would be equally terrible. Are those the only alternatives?

The Neviller

Better?
Don't know if it's better, but it certainly isn't worse.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Better?

At least it'd be a less long winded and much less pretentious way of unveiling your ignorance.

Will Absolute

I was going to quote your unedited post. It was much better. Why didn't you leave it alone? :smirk:

Sir A1ex

I dont think we would of got him, Barca would not of accepted unless it was the silly money being touted for Bale.
Nonsense... only the most essential key players in any team go for more than £40-50m (In fact, nobody does other than Ronaldo so far). There's no way Barca would have turned down a bid over £40m.

Apparently we were in for Cesc Fabregas of Barcelona

If 40m would've been enough, Barca would've told us and we would've paid it.
That's the thing. I think you quickly get an idea of the ball-park you'll have to pay. We clearly never came close. The bids we've heard of are £25m and £30m... you think we'd have bothered if Barca were looking for over £50m?

My best guess is that his price is round about £40m and we thought we'd try around £30m. If Barca happen to decide that they can use the money and we succeed, then we've got a bargain. If, as was always more likely, they hold out for £40m, then at least we've been seen to be trying for the sort of player we need.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Wait.... he's staying at Barca?

Well, I never saw that coming.

Sir A1ex

this was just a farce to keep the supporters happy.
This is the bit I don't get tbh. Talk about a short term hit... look at the state of everybody in here now, sobbing and bickering like the worst Monday morning come-down in history. And more specifically, as and when we sign Fellaini, he's seen as 3rd choice and the man none of us wanted - what a way to undermine your main signing of the summer.
Without all this Thiago and Fabregas nonsense we could have all got right into the idea of signing Fellaini and welcomed him as our midfield saviour - hell there were plenty on him crying out for us to sign him nearly a year ago, well before we knew Moyes was coming!

On second thoughts though, maybe we'll bollocks up signing Fellaini too, and end up with Eboue.

psychdelicblues

Nonsense... only the most essential key players in any team go for more than £40-50m (In fact, nobody does other than Ronaldo so far). There's no way Barca would have turned down a bid over £40m.
Because everyone knows United's need for a top-class midfield and a first marquee signing in the Moyes era, personally I think Barcelona would have held out for £50m.

Status
Not open for further replies.