Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir A1ex

Because everyone knows United's need for a top-class midfield and a first marquee signing in the Moyes era, personally I think Barcelona would have held out for £50m.
Well if that was their plan it's back-fired spectacularly. It seems that we have a massive need for a midfielder right up until the point we need to actually get the cheque-book out. I wonder if there's anybody at Barca wondering how much £40m might have helped them sign Luiz and any other targets they're after...

Sir A1ex

I must've missed the part where Barca would be sure to sell at that price
As I went through in the rest of the post, there's no way any team doesn't sell a non-first choice player for that sort of money. Just no way. Unless they've made a serious misjudgment as per psychdelicblues' post above, in which case it looks like it's them not us that have dropped a bollock...

...Though that would also raise the possibility of it not being over yet **slaps self across the face and shouts "get a grip man"**

Brophs

The One and Only
As I went through in the rest of the post, there's no way any team doesn't sell a non-first choice player for that sort of money. Just no way. Unless they've made a serious misjudgment as per psychdelicblues' post above, in which case it looks like it's them not us that have dropped a bollock...

...Though that would also raise the possibility of it not being over yet **slaps self across the face and shouts "get a grip man"**

I think the price they'd have sold him for prior to Thiago leaving was probably less than it is now (as an aside, if Fabregas was our first choice, why did we go after Thiago, knowing that if he left Fabregas was less likely to? Buying both was surely going to be next-to-impossible). As it is, I reckon they know they're one injury away from him being one of their main men in midfield.

Will Absolute

I understand its a common negotiating tool. However unlike with Rooney/Suarez, this wasn't a player they particularly wanted to sell, or who particularly wanted to leave, so its a bit of different to standard transfer bidding. We needed to hit that price where Barcelona felt, 'ok, we weren't keen on selling but this is too good to refuse' - neither of those bids were anywhere near.
I mixed up your posts - thought you had edited this one. :confused:

Anyway, this is what I think as well.

binary bot

I wouldn't be so sure; the fee isn't significantly more than what they paid and they'd be selling for around about what he's worth.

Fabregas is also a lot more important to Barca than people depict, even more now with Xavi aging and the fact they've lost Thiago.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Surprised this thread is still so lively. Drop it lads - surely? Let's not make Ronaldo-day anymore painful than it is :(

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Surprised this thread is still so lively. Drop it lads - surely? Let's not make Ronaldo-day anymore painful than it is :(
Chin up, lad - still (nearly) three hours left of R-Day!

I think we'll be debating the Fabregas saga (and the subplot of the Thiago affair) for a while yet. We're in uncharted waters still with Moyes and Woodward - and this story has sides to it that are interesting to both muppets and more sober folk. I for one would be very interested to know precisely what transpired here - and I don't usually care that much about the business side of things, not in terms of transfers in and out at least.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Can we forget this thread ever happened?

If I was a modmin I'd lock the hell out of it.

Come to think of it that is probably why I'm not a modmin...

Cina

you're only swimming cause you're so shit at fishing though.

Drifter

American
So despite the statement Daily Star thinks we will make a third bid, whatever sells them papers I guess.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
We have too few verified facts at our disposal to reach any firm conclusions as to what the real agenda was.

My take, which is as useless as anyone else's speculation, is that we were never serious about bringing in Fabregas. My support for that conclusion is that a bid of 25m was far too low of a bid to be of any interest to Barcelona. And even if the idea were to start low and work your way up, it was too low of a bid to be taken seriously. And when we raised that bid to a still absurdly low 30m, it should have been clear this was never going to happen.

Then why? You got me there. The grassy knoll conspiracy theorist in my suspect it was merely an effort by United management to set the table for settling on Fellaini. That may an unwarranted leap, but that's my leap. And take careful note that I do not suggest this necessarily makes any sense.

What makes more sense to me is putting in a serious bid for Modric, who seems more surplus to requirements to Real than Fabregas does to Barcelona. I have no idea whether Real would sell Modric at any price, but an opening bid of 40m would have been difficult to toss in the trash can.

But it could well be that Moyes as surveys the battlefield he sees the following: no way in Hades does he sell Rooney and that what he needs more than a midfielder in the mold of Fabregas and Modric is a midfielder in the mold of Fellaini. Rather than a silky passer in the last third (Fabregas and Modric) he needs a defensive midfielder who's good for the oddball goal off the cross.

Moyes knows a bit more about football than I do, so if that's his judgment then I will defer to him, sit back in my barcalounger and witness the unfolding of events as the gods proclaim.
feck me, am I on RAWK?

VII

It's fecking annoying to say the least. If Fabregas is the main target we couldn't have time it any worse.

If we went in early Barca might be more willing to consider selling Fab as they will then get to keep Thiago since they can promise him more games. At the very least they would have the options of selling Cesc for 40 million and keeping Thiago.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Ruud10

Thats the biggest pile of crap i've read

never serious about bringing in Fabregas? To what end?? what would the point of that be? Think about what you're saying, why would we do that?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'm glad this embarrassing Garry Cook style chase for Fabregas is, at last, over. From fairly early on the whole effort to buy Fabregas has struck me as an attempt by the powers that be to prove there's 'life after Fergie' by making a 'statement' in the transfer market. Its good that we are now able to put the whole thing behind us.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
uh oh have we got some depressed people in here?
Depressed - and embarrassed. Especially the latter, it would seem. Could we do a RAWK style auto-correct thing? Automatically change "embarrassing" to...I don't know, "GO FELLAINI, GO!" for instance. Or "embarrassed" to "angry, hungry and confused"?

jem

It's fecking annoying to say the least. If Fabregas is the main target we couldn't have time it any worse.

If we went in early Barca might be more willing to consider selling Fab as they will then get to keep Thiago since they can promise him more games. At the very least they would have the options of selling Cesc for 40 million and keeping Thiago.
This is the part I can't get my head around. Like you said, we should've moved earlier for Cesc. Instead, it appears that we turned to him as a face-saving gesture for missing out on Thiago (the more sinister, conspiratorial thought would be that we really wanted neither of them, and the Cesc saga was purely to appease fans worried about club finances.)

Comsmit

Ruud10

Thats the biggest pile of crap i've read

never serious about bringing in Fabregas? To what end?? what would the point of that be? Think about what you're saying, why would we do that?
He's got a point in a way. If the club were uber serious then they should have made an offer truly worthy of consideration. At the end of the day it would appear they have spent weeks flogging a dead duck. If Cesc was keen on a move then surely United would just pay what Barcelona required? The only snag would be if Barcelona simply do not wish to sell. Maybe that is the crux of it all.

Waste of time all in all, and anyone who doesn't think United look a bit daft is kidding themselves. If this was City we would be having a good old guffaw.

Varun

Staff
If this was City we would be having a good old guffaw.

For sure. That said, its different to city bidding for Kaka and getting turned down. That was a club with new found wealth assuming that's all it took to get a top player. Here, am certain we've been played by Fabregas and his team.

Hitchcocker

Okay, seen kissing the badge as he appears in Kuala Lumpur for open-field training. That is it, lads. :(

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
So this thread is still open, is it back on or something?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He's got a point in a way. If the club were uber serious then they should have made an offer truly worthy of consideration. At the end of the day it would appear they have spent weeks flogging a dead duck. If Cesc was keen on a move then surely United would just pay what Barcelona required? The only snag would be if Barcelona simply do not wish to sell. Maybe that is the crux of it all.

Waste of time all in all, and anyone who doesn't think United look a bit daft is kidding themselves. If this was City we would be having a good old guffaw.
This is the bit I fail to understand some peoples mentality on.

WHY is is a waste of time to try and sign a world class player? You will probably say "because we didnt sign him" but sure if you dont try, you will never get!

WHY is it "a bit daft" to persue players of the likes of Fabregas? Should we just let Barca and Real Madrid walk over the transfer markets doing the same thing and not attempt to do the same thing ourselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.