Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
There's simply no way that this is on, bid or no bid. I know players lie, but why on earth would Fabregas say

"I’ve always said that I’m happy at Barca. Whoever says that I’m leaving doesn’t know me and has never spoken with me.
Nor have they spoken with my agent, because he knows I don’t want him to talk with other people about me.
I’m very private and I don’t even talk about these things with my family.
If someone says anything that isn’t that I want to play at Barca, it’s completely absurd”

if there was any chance at all that a bid would convince him to leave? Even if we offered Barca enough to tempt them, they can't force a player with a contract to leave.
If Barcelona accept a bid for him, its tantamount to saying he isnt wanted or needed. That could easily change his perception. Its still very unlikely, though.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
There really was such a rumour. Could have been bullshit of course.

I don't see how anyone can deny our transfer record is poor though. The state of our midfield testifies to that - Valencia - Carrick - Anderson - Young is shocking for a club of our stature.
Let's be fair about this.

Carrick has been sensational, even if it took some posters several years to recognize it.

Valencia has been just short of sensational, apart from last season. As for last season, sometimes it just happens.

Anderson has been a tits up disaster, no question about it. You can see the talent, to be sure, but what matters is productivity on the pitch and Ando has provided very little of it over the last 6 or 7 seasons.

Young was never brought in to be a straight replacement for Ronaldo. He was brought in as a good squad man, which he is. Yes, he's disappointed me as much as everyone else, but if he's looked at as a squad man and nothing else he's actually pretty decent.

You've conveniently ignored Nani, who in my book has straddled the line between being sensational and merely very good. There is the problem of consistency, which no one on the caf has ever denied. But when he's on, he's on.

Hargreaves had that brilliant first season, but I blame the physio staff his botched recoveries.

Bebe, a disaster. Why this one happened I have no idea. Can it really be true that Fergie authorized a 7m purchase without every looking at the boy once? There has to be a backstory on this one.

I still consider Kagawa to be a midfielder, or at least to have some of the attributes of a midfielder.

Our transfer record isn't "poor", but we have been hit with bad luck. We've also been unlucky that players who seemed to have pen in hand ready to sign on the dotted line -- Nasri, Hazard and Moura come to mind -- and those deals all got hijacked by corrupt oil money.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I don't really see him having a burning desire to play for Moyes over the man who made him the player he is today.

Rose tinted specs, I'm afraid. Cesc's entering his peak years - he left the man who made him what he is because he couldn't offer trophies. Why would he go back given that he still hasn't won any trophies?

Gazza

There's simply no way that this is on, bid or no bid. I know players lie, but why on earth would Fabregas say

"I’ve always said that I’m happy at Barca. Whoever says that I’m leaving doesn’t know me and has never spoken with me.
Nor have they spoken with my agent, because he knows I don’t want him to talk with other people about me.
If someone says anything that isn’t that I want to play at Barca, it’s completely absurd”

if there was any chance at all that a bid would convince him to leave? Even if we offered Barca enough to tempt them, they can't force a player with a contract to leave.

Quotes in the media are for P.R. and little else. My take:

Makes no sense for Fabregas to risk his relationship with Barcelona fans by saying he'd be open to leaving... virtually no players do that in football, not even players who look like they are halfway out the door. Thiago never said a word about leaving until he had signed a contract at Bayern.

He also says the idea that he doesn't want to play for Barca "completely absurd"... well yes, why wouldn't he want to play for Barca? That doesn't mean if Barca accept a bid for him he would reject it outright.

Sam

You can almost see all the Arsenal lads trying to convince themselves more then anything that this will never happen :lol:

Please carry on...its a joy to see.

Shark

@NotShark

Players say a lot of things. I'm sure that RVP said the same thing about Arsenal around 100 times.

If he no longer feels that he's in Barca's plans, well then he might be considering a move. There has to be something in this, or else we wouldn't have made a bid. It's completely out of character for us to make a 25m bid for absolutely no reason at all.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I'm not going to say it will never happen because I thought the same about RVP.

But I really think this one is unlikely. There really seems no will from Fabregas to leave neither would it make sense for Barca to sell.

The Neviller

Do you honestly think we've got much of a chance in signing a player who has recently said he wants to stay at Barca and all the rumours are rubbish. Not only that but Barca have just lost Thiago, so he is more needed by them than before. I'm sure we want him, who doesn't want a world class player? Do we think he's likely to come? I don't think so.

I think we are bidding knowing there isn't much of a chance but trying our luck anyway. We can say we've tried to sign a top player. If in the unlikely event Barca want to sell and he wants to leave then awesome but that's what I see it as.. unlikely. If United see Fabregas as likely to come here then I'll be amazed and very happy. What do you think?

I don't know anything behind the scenes obviously but this is my assumption.
I've no idea if we've a chance to sign him. Do you?

We've made an offer, you'd presume in the hope it's accepted. Do you think we have no money? Do you think we don't want to sign anyone? Do you think a failure in the transfer market is going to appease anyone? What would be the point in making a low bid that we know won't be accepted? How does losing out on players by not bidding enough prove we have money? If anything it proves the complete opposite.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He might want to win trophies, and United's squad is better equipped to do so than Arsenal's. He left the man who made him the player he is today because he wanted to win trophies.
His main motive was to play for the boyhood club though, I believe. He wouldn't have moved had Barcelona been fighting for top 4 spot while Arsenal were winning trophies though, in the alternate universe.

Brightonian

Well I for one am willing to say that there is absolutely zero chance of this happening this summer. No ifs no buts.

But that's only because if it did happen I'd be so ecstatic I wouldn't give a flying feck about anything else. ;)

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Helmed by a manager who's never won a big trophy. I'd be worried if SAF were still in charge but Moyes is a different situation.

Not being funny Grinner, but how much has Wenger won since Moyes became a premier league manager? Not a fecking lot in the last few years managing a big club with a bigger budget. I know Wenger is a more proven manager but United is a safer bet for any player given where we are in comparison. TBH it's not even close man.

Gazza

His main motive was to play for the boyhood club though, I believe. He wouldn't have moved had Barcelona been fighting for top 4 spot while Arsenal were winning trophies though, in the alternate universe.

That just supports my point; his main motivation is trophies. He wants trophies like every other player and he was able to win some with his hometown club, bonus.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Not being funny Grinner, but how much has Wenger won since Moyes became a premier league manager? Not a fecking lot in the last few years managing a big club with a bigger budget. I know Wenger is a more proven manager but United is a safer bet for any player given where we are in comparison. TBH it's not even close man.

If Wenger had been available would you have taken him over Moyes?

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
I agree with all that. Two bits in bold, I just want to elaborate on:

1) There's certain players who clubs never bother bidding for - think of Scholes and Giggs at United. There has probably been the odd discreet enquiry over the years, and that's all. For an enquiry to move to the next stage - a bid - I'd say the bidding club needs some encouragement. Given that we've bid, I'm going out on a limb to say that a) we've sounded out Cesc, or b) we've sounded out Barca, or c) we've sounded out both parties. There's no way in hell we've just decided to bid 30m euros without some sort of encouragement.

2) For me, Arsenal are no nearer to seriously challenging now compared to when he left. If you look at their current squad compared to the side Cesc was leaving, I'd say they've regressed. In that context, is a player entering his peak years going to go back, merely on the promise that they're set to break their trophy drought? I know I'm biased, but he'd be an idiot to do that. Speaking bullishly, if Cesc is prepared to leave, I'd say we'd be far more attractive a destination than Arsenal. Van Persie moved directly, so why not Cesc?
Yes, if Fabgregas is prepared to leave I would think Arsenal would be a far less attractive option to him than United. City or even Chelsea over Arsenal IMHO. Arsenal barely tread the CL waters while United keep lifting trophies. The massive wild card, however, is the new manager. As much as we're all behind Moyes if you're a "world class" footballer it's a bit of a risk to leave your club and play for Moyes. Moyes may prove to be the next Ferguson but he hasn't proven it yet. And who wants to be the guinea pig that proves he's not up to the job? The counterweight to that is the quality of the squad. We're definitely a rung below Bayern and Barcelona right now but with the addition of Fabregas we're suddenly right there with those two -- maybe not as good as those two but close enough to make it very interesting.

And if rumors are to be believed, Moyes has been given the green light to go all in for Ronaldo. If, somehow, we were able to bring in both Fabregas and Ronaldo I'd go so far as to say we'd piss and shit all over Bayern and Barcelona.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm not going to say it will never happen because I thought the same about RVP.

But I really think this one is unlikely. There really seems no will from Fabregas to leave neither would it make sense for Barca to sell.
The first seems to be the case. The latter, though...Fabregas hasn't been a huge success for them, and if we are to believe people who know Barca far better than yours truly he isn't really cut out to be Xavi's successor (as many thought he'd be when he returned). It may well be that Barca wouldn't mind letting him go and use the money to secure, say, Thiago Silva. At first glance it appears crazy to let both Thiago A. and Fabregas go in the same window, but if the view is that these players, good as they are, don't really fit the Barca system - well, different story altogether.

And if Barca feel that way about Fabregas his own feelings towards Barca might alter very rapidly. If he's not wanted, he might not want to stick around - that's common sense, really.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
£35 million should do the trick.

Get on it Moyes.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Yes, if Fabgregas is prepared to leave I would think Arsenal would be a far less attractive option to him than United. City or even Chelsea over Arsenal IMHO. Arsenal barely tread the CL waters while United keep lifting trophies. The massive wild card, however, is the new manager. As much as we're all behind Moyes if you're a "world class" footballer it's a bit of a risk to leave your club and play for Moyes. Moyes may prove to be the next Ferguson but he hasn't proven it yet. And who wants to be the guinea pig that proves he's not up to the job? The counterweight to that is the quality of the squad. We're definitely a rung below Bayern and Barcelona right now but with the addition of Fabregas we're suddenly right there with those two -- maybe not as good as those two but close enough to make it very interesting.

And if rumors are to be believed, Moyes has been given the green light to go all in for Ronaldo. If, somehow, we were able to bring in both Fabregas and Ronaldo I'd go so far as to say we'd piss and shit all over Bayern and Barcelona.

The idea of Moyes being "unproven" is really no different to Tito becoming Barca manager last season - I know things weren't ideal for them last season, but the club won a big trophy because of the experience within the rest of the coaching staff and playing squad. We're not going to suddenly fall off a cliff. Yes, we may not be as fearsome, but we're going to be very competitive.

Ash_G

Like I said I can't imagine we would have made a bid, if we have, without sounding out Barca and probably Fabreas. I'd agree that Fabregas probably is inclined to stay but I would expect nothing less, he's worked hard to get back there, I'm sure he'd like to properly establish himself. But if as has been suggested Barca can be tempted by the right offer I would expect he would be interested in a move to united. The Arsenal stuff about first option or whatever isn't really that important as it's up to the player ultimately.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Say what you like, the case can be made that you are looking at a possible period of wilderness years. A player like Cesc would weigh that up in his decision and I don't think he'd risk it.

The Neviller

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Status
Not open for further replies.