Facebook, Amazon etc....

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Like the choice of NY, but not Long Island City. Rentals are already absurd in LIC and this would only make it worse. Traffic will become horrible and I'm not sure the subway can cater to another 40,000+ people.

They could have moved it a bit inside to Bushwick or even Queens and help move the gentrification faster.
Bushwick? How do you think things would work with the L train on life support?

And feck gentrification

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Well stop having bad opinions and start helping us poor-ish feckers out a bit.

But seriously why do you think what amazon is going to be doing in New York is in any way good(Genuine question) ?
More jobs (not just more amazon employees) but more opportunities for local vendors etc, better infrastructure, more tax revenue for state...overall improvement in quality of life in the neighborhood.

Sweet Square

More jobs (not just more amazon employees) but more opportunities for local vendors etc, better infrastructure, more tax revenue for state...overall improvement in quality of life in the neighborhood.
But for certain parts of the neighbourhood right ? I went back to Dublin(The 2nd most expensive place to live in Europe ) last year and yeah my nan who's got enough money to be retire decently loved the new tarmac shopping centre where she could get her weekly shop done in one go but there was just a ton of empty flats and there was even someone having a protest in their own house because they were getting kicked out due to rising rent. You could see the city actively pushing working class people out.

And that's just the economic side, culturally the place looked like the inside of a Mercedes.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I'm at a point where I simply think gentrification is inevitable. The reason is the projects that begin the process are generally always supported by the local communities - especially the homeowners, even the low income ones. The projects typically create jobs and increase property values so good for that group. Renters are generally less connected to their communities, attend less council meetings and vote less in local elections so even if there are more of them their voting power is diluted.

Take Inglewood, CA for example a low income community that has around 1/3 of the homes owner occupied. So when Stan Kroenke comes in with his huge NFL stadium and outdoor mall project, that's 33,000 residents of Inglewood who basically won a lottery. Their home values will increase 100-300K over the next decade. To the low income families in Inglewood, some hurt hard from the Great Recession that's a big boost. Even some of the renting community might see the Kroenke project as bringing in more jobs with the stadium and retail and support the projects. So that's why I see it as inevitable because local communities usually benefit from the start of the process so they will support it, especially if there are older or retired homeowners.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I'm at a point where I simply think gentrification is inevitable. The reason is the projects that begin the process are generally always supported by the local communities - especially the homeowners, even the low income ones. The projects typically create jobs and increase property values so good for that group. Renters are generally less connected to their communities, attend less council meetings and vote less in local elections so even if there are more of them their voting power is diluted.

Take Inglewood, CA for example a low income community that has around 1/3 of the homes owner occupied. So when Stan Kroenke comes in with his huge NFL stadium and outdoor mall project, that's 33,000 residents of Inglewood who basically won a lottery. Their home values will increase 100-300K over the next decade. To the low income families in Inglewood, some hurt hard from the Great Recession that's a big boost. Even some of the renting community might see the Kroenke project as bringing in more jobs with the stadium and retail and support the projects. So that's why I see it as inevitable because local communities usually benefit from the start of the process so they will support it, especially if there are older or retired homeowners.
How have they won the lottery?

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Okay but how does that help them? I don't own a house so what am I missing?
I thought I explained this in my first post. About 1/3 of Inglewood homes are owner occupied so that's about 33-35,000 iirc. So the homeowners see a big increase in home value. And as I said even renters in communities like this tend to support projects like the NFL stadium because they benefit from the increased jobs.

Its why gentrification is trickier than people realize I think. Not saying I like the end result but I don't see any easy or even viable solutions here. Its not like the Inglewood community tried to stop Kroenke because of potential future gentrification.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I thought I explained this in my first post. About 1/3 of Inglewood homes are owner occupied so that's about 33-35,000 iirc. So the homeowners see a big increase in home value. And as I said even renters in communities like this tend to support projects like the NFL stadium because they benefit from the increased jobs.

Its why gentrification is trickier than people realize I think. Not saying I like the end result but I don't see any easy or even viable solutions here. Its not like the Inglewood community tried to stop Kroenke because of potential future gentrification.
What does an increase in home value do if you don't want to sell? Wouldn't it just increase property taxes?

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
What does an increase in home value do if you don't want to sell? Wouldn't it just increase property taxes?
not in California. Prop. tax only re-assessed when property is sold. For people on fixed what it does is allow a reverse mortgage that could be used to pay off more expensive credit card debt at a lower interest rate. Or you also have increased assets if you were taking out a loan for instance to pay kids or grandkids college. Plus it just offers more security for retirement knowing your home value has a big increase - for instance in case of a medical emergency because of the fecked up privatized health system in the US.

Oh and for people that bought around the Great Recession it would allow to recover the value of the home they were paying off so they don't lose a tonne of money.