Fairly mainstream opinion : Onana isn’t Fabrice Ondoa, or very good

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Kepa was not that good even at Bilbao. Even when his confidence restored, it doesn't make a good case when Chelsea offloaded him, getting another GK for long term.

When Onana got suspended then left out of the team when he refused to sign the new contract, even the Dutch league couldn' trouble their second choice GK that much. There is much less margin for error when it comes to PL, the most competitive league at the moment.
He wasn't offloaded, Real came in for him on loan and he wanted to join them. He was decent last year. During Lampards first year he made similar basic errors to Onana now, that he didn't under Sarri or at Bilbao. Confidence got destroyed.

Onana making basic errors that he didn't before, school boy stuff, it's 100% a confidence issue.

FortunaUtd

Far too early to write him off. He has had a bad start to his Utd career (so had our previous long time GK..), but we should give him some fecking support.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Abhinav

He may be shot in confidence, but the biggest concern is that his fundamentals don’t look good. Seems quite awkward for a keeper while handling the ball. Haven’t seen much of him before United, but given he has played at the biggest stages, safe to say he has found a way to make his technique effective in the past. Not convinced by him so far.

Litch

He may be shot in confidence, but the biggest concern is that his fundamentals don’t look good. Seems quite awkward for a keeper while handling the ball. Haven’t seen much of him before United, but given he has played at the biggest stages, safe to say he has found a way to make his technique effective in the past. Not convinced by him so far.
Hes def not your classic aesthetic on the eye goalkeeper.

Reminds me of when a boxer takes up the sport later than others and looks a bit awkward and lacks the fundamentals in the ring...

Or worse, when you put an outfield player in the net.

All that said and as you say, needs to make this work for him in the prem....

Fahad Jawaid

Not only does he concede with almost every shot on goal and some of them very feeble attempts tbf, I hate how during one on ones he goes down too early, the goals scored by Icardi and Nottingham Forest goal was very avoidable, if he stays strong and big, he saves them as they were poorly struck. These routine errors and the analysis done by Peter in the studio suggests, his shot stopping technique is all wrong, and its not something he will overcome.

Without most of our first choice defenders, we are expected to be under the cosh and concede shots, but if he continues to save at this rate, we will be very lucky to get top 7.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
The GK coaches must be able to see that he lacks the basics for a GK and that his reach is pure crap. Oh, and that he’s overweight. Eth might not listen though, a lot of prestige at stake here.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I feel he will become one of our most cherished acquisitions and many on here would be proved wrong. Keepers can take time to settle in and more so during a particularly tumultuous period like the one we're facing now.

You don't get to a European cup final but not getting the basics right

ole@thewheel

It would have been a miracle if a new keeper at Utd, considering the amount of pressure, and our current defensive fragility, to have settled immidiately.

The only way that would have happened it was if we would have retained DDG for one more season, and share the goal (and pressure). This was actually planned, but once again was the lack of vision from our upper management that got in the way.

We all knew he was not the best shot stopper around, is prone to an odd mistake, but still given his strengths, is undoubtedly the right GK for the style we are trying to implement.

Just give the bloke some time.

mu4c_20le

It would have been a miracle if a new keeper at Utd, considering the amount of pressure, and our current defensive fragility, to have settled immidiately.
Dean Henderson must be something special considering he was able to come in and look a decent as a kid with no European experience, playing behind Maguire and Lindelof.

Judas

Open to offers
Dean Henderson must be something special considering he was able to come in and look a decent as a kid with no European experience, playing behind Maguire and Lindelof.
Did he? I just remember blunders and average performances. People wanted him to be a lot better than he was sadly.

ti vu

He wasn't offloaded, Real came in for him on loan and he wanted to join them. He was decent last year. During Lampards first year he made similar basic errors to Onana now, that he didn't under Sarri or at Bilbao. Confidence got destroyed.

Onana making basic errors that he didn't before, school boy stuff, it's 100% a confidence issue.
If Chelsea's desperate to keep him as long term GK, he would not be allowed to go out on loan. There is clearly intention from Chelsea to offload him.

Even under Sarri, Kepa has deficiency in his game which already showed sign in his first season where his confidence still intact. This analysis mentioned his "weak wrists" and example of one goal in 0-6 defeat to Man City under Sarri.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2020/5/14/21257561/solving-chelseas-kepa-conundrum-part-1

Onana had a fair share of error over the years. Just that at Ajax they're one of the most dominant teams in the competition that he's not especially tested. Onana panic which he gave possession back to Tottenham in his box where as Ajax defender would have been comfortably clear the ball; leading to Moura second goal. Moura first goal is similar to both our conceding 1 v 1 conceding goals against Galatasaray and Nottingham Forest, where he outside of the box, but instead of sweeping, he's backpedal and froze leaving wide open shooting angle, when opposition rushing toward his goal. Empoli goal, and Napoli goal last season was a reminder of Onana's diving technique and weak wrist. Henderson standing in no man land vs Salah like position for Kostic Juventus goal. Liverpool goal, Darwin Nunez goal for Benfica were moments where he misjudged the flight of the cross. He had a bunch of erratic shot handling moments overthe years that went unpunished. Misread the shot where, Tonali hit the post in CL semifinal first leg; spilling the ball against Barcelona in game in Nou Camp; ball bounced off his hands goalward after Locatelli shot but luckily bounced off his leg from the same game as Kostic goal; he saved a shot and had the ball bounced off him out for corner in that Barcelona game too, I forgot whose shot was it, but remember seeing Chelsea player had a shot that Onana failed to catch and bounced off for corner near the end of the their CL game away in Amsterdam... His confidence may be low, and showed these issues more frequently now but the weakness has always been there.

ti vu

I feel he will become one of our most cherished acquisitions and many on here would be proved wrong. Keepers can take time to settle in and more so during a particularly tumultuous period like the one we're facing now.

Flawed logic. Karius started in CL final and made legendary inexcusable basic mistakes. It's not one off. He showed signs. Klopp was too hipster at the time.

Tyrion

Far too early to write him off. He has had a bad start to his Utd career (so had our previous long time GK..), but we should give him some fecking support.
I agree with this but I believed in DDG because I believed in SAF and didn't believe he'd make a mistake like that. I was confident DDG would come good because the manager thought he would. I've no confidence in the people recruiting the players now.

TheRedHearted

Flawed logic. Karius started in CL final and made legendary inexcusable basic mistakes. It's not one off. He showed signs. Klopp was too hipster at the time.

Onana performed much better than Karius in the CL final. With a worse team, wouldn’t you say?

Fluctuation0161

It was a team of 11 that got to that final, not 1 man. It is conceivable that they didn't let him get as many one on one situations.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Still nowhere near the disaster Onana has been so far
Yeah Henderson was decent for us. Saved shots that should've been saved, and swept up balls that De Gea normally didn't. Which was about the only thing I'd hoped from a De Gea replacement.

Onana's fallen short of expectations. Still early days, mind. If he makes it at United, he owes a lot to McTominay's double. Losing that game with him making that mistake for their goal would've really turned the screw on him even more.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Very agile and definitely has a spring to his step, but his technique is weird. I was talking to a friend about how he seems to jump up when he dives and then saw an interview with Schmeichel and he said the same thing. It's almost like his adrenaline is running too high and he ends up putting almost too much effort into a simple save. So like yesterday, he ends up diving over the ball when it should have been a routine, simple save...

colombianmancunian

Since long ago I have said and stood by that a keeper’s main attribute has to be shot stopping. But people here were desperate for someone who “was good with his feet” even if he wasn’t good at saving shots. There you go, you have what you asked for. Now enjoy.

Newtonius

Since long ago I have said and stood by that a keeper’s main attribute has to be shot stopping. But people here were desperate for someone who “was good with his feet” even if he wasn’t good at saving shots. There you go, you have what you asked for. Now enjoy.
Not either or though is it its just a difference of priorities in those attributes for the manager, ie with that new keeper you expect a downgrade on DDG at his peak (whos job it is for the scouts to determine how much) but not for him to look like O'Shea in goal that kind of compromise isn't normal Liverpool and City certainly didn't go through it. Really should have got that guy at Porto.

JB7

Not either or though is it its just a difference of priorities in those attributes for the manager, ie with that new keeper you expect a downgrade on DDG at his peak (whos job it is for the scouts to determine how much) but not for him to look like O'Shea in goal that kind of compromise isn't normal Liverpool and City certainly didn't go through it. Really should have got that guy at Porto.
Seen a lot of the goalkeeper whose name you can't even remember to make that statement, have you?

Newtonius

Seen a lot of the goalkeeper whose name you can't even remember to make that statement, have you?
Course not but i am not a scout there was clearly a decision being made between the two and would trust them more than ETH at this point his transfers are gash.

Mercurial

The GK coaches must be able to see that he lacks the basics for a GK and that his reach is pure crap. Oh, and that he’s overweight. Eth might not listen though, a lot of prestige at stake here.
EtH says it's all good, he used to play for Ajax.

ti vu

Onana performed much better than Karius in the CL final. With a worse team, wouldn’t you say?
I am not saying Onana is bad. Just simply responded to previous point that players playing in European Cup final, are all flawless in their skillset.

Onana had a great game. He had an overall very good campaign with Inter, but even when he didn't make obvious mistake, he didn't always look sharp with shot stopping part. Onana's attribute is skewed. Some people mistook him for a balanced GK. For example, despite often going high up the pitch, his sweeping is hit and miss. He's see back pedal instead of aggressively engaging. He's not shy to John to claim cross, but his read of the cross flight is hit and miss...

Not writing him off, but not optimistic like some people because his flaw is not only down to confidence.

Highlyevolved

Onana has played 250 games in European leagues and was nominated for the Ballon d’Or but people act as if he can’t save the ball based off a few games

He’s just made a few mistakes, he’s a good keeper the body of work suggests that.
Playing in Italy with a strong defence and the slower pace of the league which suited him. Jury is still out, but so far it’s not looking good.

svenska

He is alright and will come good, people please stop the panic moaning.

JediSith

Watched the full matched Vs Brentford, not live, and despite the goal which he could have saved. I think his performance was better than many realise.

He was actually doing the ball playing keeper thing and a lot of his long passes, especially, were leading to attacks or created openings that our forwards ruined. Also near the end he made 2 decent saves.

Mike Smalling

Watched the full matched Vs Brentford, not live, and despite the goal which he could have saved. I think his performance was better than many realise.

He was actually doing the ball playing keeper thing and a lot of his long passes, especially, were leading to attacks or created openings that our forwards ruined. Also near the end he made 2 decent saves.
The problem is that his horror moments will be amplified, because he plays in a side that struggle mightily to score goals. If we could consistently get 3-4 goals in our home games against the leagues weaker sides, it wouldn't be such a problem. But for a team scoring between 0-2 goals, it's a massive problem to have such an error prone keeper.

lex talionis

Did he? I just remember blunders and average performances. People wanted him to be a lot better than he was sadly.
To be fair, Henderson looked a lot better than Onana has so far.

Confidence is obviously one issue, but another issue is that Onana looks out of shape and sluggish. If he dropped 10 pounds he would do himself a lot of good and perhaps reach the level we expected from him. Still madness though that we bought a keeper after one legendary performance.

Red_toad

This is the Caf, you are asking for impossible.
If people actually looked at him, he was heavily criticised for shouting at Harry preseason, then ripped apart for the Wolves penalty area challenge. He's then made a few errors and now looks like he's out of form. So at a time where he needs support it's sadly lacking. He was very good last season and to think he's no longer that player is just insane. He'll come good and should be given support from the fan base.

Hughie77

He could have thrown his cap on the Brentford goal, it's a easy stop for mediocre keepers, he's already cost us a long with some basic errors in defence.

I'm still not his biggest fan I don't think I ever will, Bartez was same for wasn't his biggest fan either, unless we score at least 2 in games you cannot put your full trust in Onana to stop the shots he's going to get.

Bashing him like outfield players have had we've all done it, isn't going help .. we see how he gets on ..

Artimities

Overall, average to poor so far, but with our piece mill defense we throw out... its no surprise. Injuries have decimated our squad and while our offensive up front players have trouble scoring from poor set up play from the midfield... the back is in shambles due to no consistency in terms of players. We need to get players back and into some concept of what our team will actually be. We look shaky when they get the ball in our final 3rd. Cant clear a ball and put the keeper in bad spots.

JediSith

The problem is that his horror moments will be amplified, because he plays in a side that struggle mightily to score goals. If we could consistently get 3-4 goals in our home games against the leagues weaker sides, it wouldn't be such a problem. But for a team scoring between 0-2 goals, it's a massive problem to have such an error prone keeper.
That’s a good point. We’re not taking advantage of his strengths and highlighting his limitations through our play

Oscar Bonavena

Mate, I doubt any fan wanted United to sign a keeper who "wasn't good at saving shots"!

UpWithRivers

Not only our GK coaches but the Scouting team must have had an input and the whole coaching team at Ajax must have given him feedback on how good he is and his strengths and weaknesses. That must be 10-20 plus pros with direct knowledge of his game and he just ignored them all and his own eyes when he coached him. Baffles the fk out of me. He must have known exactly what he was getting before we signed him. So why did he do it? Its as if he can't get out of the small club mentality where they can only target players that the big clubs wont touch. So they take a risk on players that are have really good skills in some areas but are fundamentally flawed in others. Its like he's building a home for unloved footballers.

The side netting

The biggest problem for me is that he's not very agile. He's a big lump and every shot that's gone on the ground has gone in. He's either been 2 seconds behind it or let it fumble over/under his hands.

I just don't think he's got the physical aspects to be a top shot stopper unless it's above waist height.