Fairplay to Lindelof: Starting to look the part now

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Not to criticise him, but I'm yet to see the potential people are talking about. Jones is out of caf's favour after the Spurs game but I'm not convinced that Lindelöf will end up better than him.
I don't think Lindelöf will surpass Jones either. Actually, Jones and Bailly are one of the best defensive partnerships in the league right now, but the caf is very fickle - Jones has gone from being a hero (and the third highest rated player here behind DDG and Pogba) to a pariah pretty much overnight after Spurs.

The future is Jones (when fit) and Bailly, with Lindelöf and smalling as a backup.

Loublaze

ATLien
1. I feel like you having all these stats is partly because you are always defending Smalling. I find it funny because I see you defending him all the time and are obsessed with stats like these

2. Those stats have no context.
1. It has nothing to do with Smalling, its a discussion about Blind and Lindelof in a thread about Lindelof so tell me who's obsessed smarty pants?

2. They do have context. The poster thinks Lindelof is better than Blind in the air, the stats show that he isn't. Maybe you might think a bigger sample is needed, but the current stats are in Blinds favor. Do not bring up Smalling in this discussion, you're reaching son.

ti vu

Whats so funny about that? They are both average as fvck in the air but you'd expect a whole lot more from the 6'2 and natural CB Lindelof. Last season at Benfica in a league with a shorter average height he still just won 59% of his aerial duels across the season (69 out of 117).
Not saying you're wrong or Lindelof is good or anything. The thing is Blind rarely played CB nowadays which the amount of duel he needs to do is evidence. The type of players he had to compete should be easier for him than dealing with known physical central forwards.

Then another aspect of aerial duel is that you don't need to win/ dominate to be considered effective. Why? The ones you compete with not necessarily make good use with the duel they win. Just like pressing, it's about applying pressure if you feel you have no chance to win. Portuguese teams as I see not necessarily try to dominate aerially. Times and times again they try to apply pressure and positional play to take initialize when the ball return to the ground. It's different in PL of course

Again I need to repeat I am not absorbing Lindelof of his shortcoming as he made poor header when playing as RB too. Just saying it's too early to draw to conclusion especially you're taking into account a sloppy period of Lindelof as part of the stats

Edit: I used Squawka for these stats, so let's look at Lukaku for another perspective of aerial duel stats. It said he won 1 out of every 2 headed duel in the league. Then you consider CBs have advantage in major of aerial duel due to the fact that the forwards have their back toward goal; Lukaku doesn't look too bad from stats point of view. The reality is that Lukaku lost important duel which can open the play, or his heading effort when competing with his back toward opposition's goal has much to desire for. Of course you want the stats to look good as it shows for most part that it's not your weakness. However pure stats ain't painting the whole picture of players ability as superior as different positions need different metric to assess their performance.

Last edited:

haram

1. It has nothing to do with Smalling, its a discussion about Blind and Lindelof in a thread about Lindelof so tell me who's obsessed smarty pants?

2. They do have context. The poster thinks Lindelof is better than Blind in the air, the stats show that he isn't. Maybe you might think a bigger sample is needed, but the current stats are in Blinds favor. Do not bring up Smalling in this discussion, you're reaching son.
I'm not trying to make this about Smalling. I have just seen you throw around stats like this before and I found it funny. Also the stats do not consider the opposition and do not take into account that Blind hasn't really played CB. For all we know he could be challenging 5 ft 5 wingers instead of 6ft strikers.

Jaybomb

That’s not even remotely comparable because those two played in a league where only 1 team could challenge them for the league, and maybe 2 other teams could draw with them.
So they had the luxury to be rash and make mistakes, we don’t.
So Real Madrid never lose to small teams then? I take it you must have missed the game the other night.

That’s honestly one of the worst arguments ever and I hear so many people repeating it over and over again. It just reeks of Sky Sports’ brainwashing propaganda rubbish.

Loublaze

ATLien
I'm not trying to make this about Smalling. I have just seen you throw around stats like this before and I found it funny. Also the stats do not consider the opposition and do not take into account that Blind hasn't really played CB. For all we know he could be challenging 5 ft 5 wingers instead of 6ft strikers.
Lindelof himself has played as a RB for United and not exclusively at CB, so I guess there's isn't enough evidence so far. Lindelof's stats are far from impressive in this regard though. I actually like Lindelof but the jury is still out for me.

Devil may care

I'd like to see him get a run of games now, not just sent back to the bench when Jones comes back.

Loublaze

ATLien
So Real Madrid never lose to small teams then? I take it you must have missed the game the other night.

That’s honestly one of the worst arguments ever and I hear so many people repeating it over and over again. It just reeks of Sky Sports’ brainwashing propaganda rubbish.
Hardly Sky sports brainwashing. A team that is hardly challenged has a higher margin for error. Yes Real lose to small teams but its rare. Espanyol just beat them for the first time in a decade and Espanyol are La Liga regulars.

I don't think Lindelöf will surpass Jones either. Actually, Jones and Bailly are one of the best defensive partnerships in the league right now, but the caf is very fickle - Jones has gone from being a hero (and the third highest rated player here behind DDG and Pogba) to a pariah pretty much overnight after Spurs.

The future is Jones (when fit) and Bailly, with Lindelöf and smalling as a backup.
That's the CAF and fans in general. Jones is fit right now and not getting games. I don't believe the dude is sick, Mourinho seems to have lost confidence in him after the Newcastle game and his giving Lindelof some game time. That's just my opinion. Jones has missed 73 games in the last four seasons, that's almost two whole seasons of league games! Rojo has missed 71 in the same time. The very definition of unreliable those two.

Not saying you're wrong or Lindelof is good or anything. The thing is Blind rarely played CB nowadays which the amount of duel he needs to do is evidence. The type of players he had to compete should be easier for him than dealing with known physical central forwards.

Then another aspect of aerial duel is that you don't need to win/ dominate to be considered effective. Why? The ones you compete with not necessarily make good use with the duel they win. Just like pressing, it's about applying pressure if you feel you have no chance to win. Portuguese teams as I see not necessarily try to dominate aerially. Times and times again they try to apply pressure and positional play to take initialize when the ball return to the ground. It's different in PL of course

Again I need to repeat I am not absorbing Lindelof of his shortcoming as he made poor header when playing as RB too. Just saying it's too early to draw to conclusion especially you're taking into account a sloppy period of Lindelof as part of the stats

Edit: I used Squawka for these stats, so let's look at Lukaku for another perspective of aerial duel stats. It said he won 1 out of every 2 headed duel in the league. Then you consider CBs have advantage in major of aerial duel due to the fact that the forwards have their back toward goal; Lukaku doesn't look too bad from stats point of view. The reality is that Lukaku lost important duel which can open the play, or his heading effort when competing with his back toward opposition's goal has much to desire for. Of course you want the stats to look good as it shows for most part that it's not your weakness. However pure stats ain't painting the whole picture of players ability as superior as different positions need different metric to assess their performance.
Im sorry but I don't understand what you're trying to say here. 'Sloppy' period or not, it becomes a part of his record. Pressure is fine but a quality CB should be winning the vast majority of their aerial duels outright.

ti vu

Im sorry but I don't understand what you're trying to say here. 'Sloppy' period or not, it becomes a part of his record. Pressure is fine but a quality CB should be winning the vast majority of their aerial duels outright.
What I meant is the circumstances forced him into the team when he was not ready. He was not in his best condition and not even trusted to play in PL when he started to rake in these terrible stats. He even doesn't look like a proper player for small teams let alone in our teams who fight for result. As I said, No doubt Lindelof ain't impressive aerially. It's his record, so I don't argue. However, as you agree yourself in another post, it's early days to draw any conclusion.

Loublaze

ATLien
What I meant is the circumstances forced him into the team when he was not ready. He was not in his best condition and not even trusted to play in PL when he started to rake in these terrible stats. He even doesn't look like a proper player for small teams let alone in our teams who fight for result. As I said, No doubt Lindelof ain't impressive aerially. It's his record, so I don't argue. However, as you agree yourself in another post, it's early days to draw any conclusion.
Sensible post, but I have to ask, what makes you think he wasn't ready or what conditions had to be in place for him to be ready? He's a professional who was bought to improve our defense or give the manager another option. I'll say he wasn't bought to be an immediate starter but neither was Bailly but he adapted to English football very quickly, maybe unexpectedly. A professional who is physically 100% fit to play is ready so what makes you think Lindelof wasn't?

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
I thought Lindelof had a great game for us on Sunday. He is still a young defender and would always take time to settle, however he showed more leadership on Sunday than Smalling did and he has been at United for years.
Such hilarious things being said on a Lindelof thread. Any reason why?

Return of the Manc

Eh except he’s not? :lol:
I don't understand why you are laughing at him. Blind is not just better but considerably better than Lindelof from what we have seen so far.
Blind has played finals for us, plays balls forward that Lindelof could only dream about, formed a partnership with smalling where he looked like the good defender when it was actually blind who made him tick as proven by recent performances etc.

Another poster just showed that he wins more aerial balls than Lindelof too.

If you think Lindelof is better than Blind & also laughing about it then that is considerably leaning towards a bias imo.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Such hilarious things being said on a Lindelof thread. Any reason why?
Why’s that post hilarious? It’s his opinion and a perfectly valid one. Smalling has had good spells but in general we should’ve been doing better over the years.

Red00012

Bailly will be the number 1 choice but Lindelöf and smalling are so hot and cold I’m unsure who I prefer.i do know I don’t want jones there.

Loublaze

ATLien
Why’s that post hilarious? It’s his opinion and a perfectly valid one. Smalling has had good spells but in general we should’ve been doing better over the years.
Hilarious of him to suggest that Lindelof showed more leadership than Smalling in that game. In what ways did he show more leadership? Smalling has held Lindelof's hand when he was settling in and stinking up the place. Smalling even saved Lindelof's bacon when he passed the ball back to De Gea under pressure and gave it away. If not for Smalling's last ditch intervention Chelsea would've probably equalized. @UnitedForever123

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Imho defender really needs time as their job relies more on coordination with the back 5. A striker can slot into a new club and does his job, but a defender no matter how good he is will still need to know what his team is doing.

Remember evra and vidic looks clueless for the first few months or so.

ti vu

Sensible post, but I have to ask, what makes you think he wasn't ready or what conditions had to be in place for him to be ready? He's a professional who was bought to improve our defense or give the manager another option. I'll say he wasn't bought to be an immediate starter but neither was Bailly but he adapted to English football very quickly, maybe unexpectedly. A professional who is physically 100% fit to play is ready so what makes you think Lindelof wasn't?
I said few times in Lindelof performance thread. I think he is slow starter each season and at new clubs which I compared to that of Carrick to certain level. They are a type who gel with the teams than lifting the team. To do so they need time to understand the players around them. PL physicality ain't a thing to underestimated. Not every players would adapt fast enough and different managers confirmed some players would need more time. Unlike Bailly who is athletically freak, Lindelof is rather weak than PL average. He has no leeway as to just play game but bid his time training with the team. Which Mourinho also confirmed as such.

Lindelof had more minutes in CL than PL during the early stage of the season. He was used as option for CL while Jones with that kind of fitness was main option for PL in that bedding period. His first real test in PL was against Huddersfield and we know how it ends. It added more pressure on him after the slow start in the season.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think the whole thing with him is every step up he’s had so far in his career he’s eventually come out looking as comfortable as before. Hopefully he can continue to improve here at the same rate and who knows what his ceiling is? He’s still very much a punt at the moment but I do like that he can pass a ball.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Is Pepe in Real’s team now? No, so what a ridiculous come back.
When Pepe and Ramos were Madrid’s first choice CB’s they and Barca dominated the league, not losing more than maybe 4 games in a whole season - and it wasn’t because of their defensive stability, but rather Ronaldo scoring 1.5 goals a game by himself.

manunited1919

I think he has a long way to go before he comes up to the level required. He looks uncomfortable on the ball and his actual minutes with the ball are very limited in the games I’ve seen him play. He’s not involved in many arial battles and when he does he only wins 44% of them. His involvement in the game in general is relatively low looking at his stats for duals, interceptions, clearances, recoveries etc. His best asset would be his pass forward out of defence which unfortunately comes far too seldom as most of the time he opts for the easier side pass to a co-defender.
I just think he lacks some basic qualities which you look for in a central defender such as physique, arial ability, positioning, composure and authority to name a few. I’m not convinced!
So far, you are spot on.
However, there is hope that he will grow into the job and start shining next season.

manunited1919

1. I feel like you having all these stats is partly because you are always defending Smalling. I find it funny because I see you defending him all the time and are obsessed with stats like these

2. Those stats have no context.
You must mean you don’t like these stats because they don’t support your argument?
These stats are pretty clear.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's just not looking terrible right now. Which is a definite improvement over his initial period at United. Maybe he has the qualities to be a very good CB but I need to see a more to form such an opinion.

In fact I remember when Vidic joined I felt excited about his future and potential despite the early mistakes. To me his gift of the leap and tackle seemed to stand out even then. Need to see more obvious signs of Lindelofs quality if he has them.

podurban2

He actually is this season. Blind has won 54% (7 out of 13) of his aerial duels this season and Lindelof has only won 42% (13 out of 31).
What a useless sample size tbh. Nothing’s statistical with those stats.

zenith

I'd give lindelof and baily partnership a lot more games together. On paper they would seem to compliment each other and both are decent ball players as well, god knows we need that against the big as well as small teams

UnitedForever123

Hilarious of him to suggest that Lindelof showed more leadership than Smalling in that game. In what ways did he show more leadership? Smalling has held Lindelof's hand when he was settling in and stinking up the place. Smalling even saved Lindelof's bacon when he passed the ball back to De Gea under pressure and gave it away. If not for Smalling's last ditch intervention Chelsea would've probably equalized. @UnitedForever123

You are talking about Lindelof from the start of the season when he has looked shakey, my point is from the Chelsea game. By far he was the better of the 2 on Sunday, Lindelofs still a young defender and can improve qualities to his game. H

He showed more leadership than Smalling as he was the only one opening his mouth, telling players where to go on set pieces etc.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Think his performances answer this @Loublaze he like many other players needed time to adapt. Not saying he looks great as I have serious reservations about him but he’s doing better.

simplyared

You are talking about Lindelof from the start of the season when he has looked shakey, my point is from the Chelsea game. By far he was the better of the 2 on Sunday, Lindelofs still a young defender and can improve qualities to his game. H

He showed more leadership than Smalling as he was the only one opening his mouth, telling players where to go on set pieces etc.
Showing more leadership than Smalling! That takes the biscuit! You can shout and point as much as you like but you've got to sweep the shit off your own doorstep first.

simplyared

To say that is an insult to Chris Smalling! You obviously can't see the player, at present, is out of his depth and you should be praising Smalling for carrying him through games. A player in his situation is looking for cheap points by trying to show some sort of authority out on the pitch and you take the bait.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
To say that is an insult to Chris Smalling! You obviously can't see the player, at present, is out of his depth and you should be praising Smalling for carrying him through games. A player in his situation is looking for cheap points by trying to show some sort of authority out on the pitch and you take the bait.
I'm laughing. My God you're pathetic. :lol:

simplyared

I'm laughing. My God you're pathetic. :lol:
Tbh I shouldn't have to clarify what I mean to someone who answers like you do. However I'll make an exception: What I'm saying is he's fishing for points. I don't blame him for that. Pointing and shouting isn't something I would take into consideration when judging a player's contribution or even when comparing him with others. Players such as Smalling, show their authority in other ways, through their body language and what they acheive on the pitch. Or to put it another way: THE WAY THEY PUT THEMSELVES ABOUT.

manunited1919

I think he's injured as he hasn't even been in the last couple of squads.
There were rumours Jones and Pogba were on the receiving end of a hairdryer at the end of the Newcastle game, as both of them didn’t defend the first ball from the set piece.

Transfermarket only lists Fellaini, Ander, Blind and Zlatan. But Physioroom also list Rojo and Jones with knocks.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Tbh I shouldn't have to clarify what I mean to someone who answers like you do. However I'll make an exception: What I'm saying is he's fishing for points. I don't blame him for that. Pointing and shouting isn't something I would take into consideration when judging a player's contribution or even when comparing him with others. Players such as Smalling, show their authority in other ways, through their body language and what they acheive on the pitch. Or to put it another way: THE WAY THEY PUT THEMSELVES ABOUT.
Come on now, you come across as a WUM.

Anyway, I'd pick a vocal but slightly worse defender over one who's good individually but doesn't open his mouth any day of the week. It's hugely important but very difficult to pick up on as a spectator when you're just watching the game and don't see how a given defender behaves on the training pitch.
I'm sure all of our midfielders would do the same.